BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What are you listening to right now?

On 26/02/2021 at 18:18, The Hypnotic said:

I guess this is old news but Daft Punk have split up. Surely one of the best electronic artists from the 90s although I haven’t always been convinced by their more recent stuff. 

Back in the day Thomas Banghalter released this banger, in an alternate universe Daft Punk released more genius house music like this rather than going mainstream

I also came across this act while reading about Daft Punk. Dunno how I didn’t catch them while they were still active. Etienne De Crecy and Philippe Zdar - Motorbass. 

Yesssss

Phillipe Zdar is part of Cassius who of course released this classic in 1999

France has a really cool electronic scene man. David Guetta is from France and he started out a great artist but did a bit of a Chipmunk and went for commercial music. Cant blame him as he’s a multi millionaire now but wish he would release a few more bangers. 

I watched an Oasis documentary last night. I have no idea if it was UK or USA produced but I liked it. 

It chartered their beginnings and ended with their Knebworth concerts in August 1996. 

Noel and Liam both said that Knebworth should have been their last gig. 

On 03/03/2021 at 16:58, speeeeeeedie said:

I watched an Oasis documentary last night. I have no idea if it was UK or USA produced but I liked it. 

It chartered their beginnings and ended with their Knebworth concerts in August 1996. 

Noel and Liam both said that Knebworth should have been their last gig. 

They used to clean Brian McClairs car as kids did the young Gallagher wags.  

On 01/03/2021 at 20:11, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yesssss

France has a really cool electronic scene man. David Guetta is from France and he started out a great artist but did a bit of a Chipmunk and went for commercial music. Cant blame him as he’s a multi millionaire now but wish he would release a few more bangers. 

Prefer Dmitri from Paris if I'm honest...😙

• Like 2

I'm having a John Martyn day today. I once heard a John Martyn song being played live from a pub called Lauders Bar on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow many years ago as  I was making my way home from work. It was a very good version of it so I decided to pop in and listen while enjoying a pint.

I was gobsmacked to discover it was THE John Martyn! He only had one leg and was massively overweight but still had the voice of an angel. Fast forward a few years and they held a tribute concert literally yards from that bar in the Royal Concert Hall, organised by Danny Thompson (his great friend) and headlined by Paul Weller and Eddi Reader. Marvellous stuff!

• Like 1

I think you would probably need to already know or like this lot to be interested but I’ve just discovered a Prefab Sprout album that I didn’t even know existed from a few years back (2013), it’s called Crimson/Red.

It sounds as good as anything they have ever done, which is high praise from me.

Paddy McAloon is an amazing songwriter and this will be my walking music for the next few days I think 😊

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Been listening to a lot of the Arlo Parks album (20 year old singer from London) and it’s very good indeed. This tune is the stand out for me, been hammering it this week.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Quality

One of the few situations where the cover version is arguably better than the original. Though I do also like George Jones' original recording of this. One or two of EC's big hits were actually cover versions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Neil Young’s Archives Vol 2 arrived last week. Going to enjoy listening to the ten albums. An interesting artist.

Seems to be all the rage these days CLB.

Bob Dylan has just released archives with George Harrison, these come on the back of his sessions with Johnny Cash, great listening and some studio banter to boot.

I know Joni Mitchell has released her archives too.

Great artists, timeless.

13 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Neil Young’s Archives Vol 2 arrived last week. Going to enjoy listening to the ten albums. An interesting artist.

I'm a fan of Neil Young but there are only so many versions of his songs I can listen to. I felt the same about the Beatles anthology series as well. I played a few from Vol 2 today but had to look quite hard to find stuff I hadn't heard before on bootlegs etc. 

But you're dead right he's an interesting artist. I would imagine a very difficult bloke to work with!

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 20:11, Dreams of 1995 said:

Yesssss

I like all the french and German stuff , saw justice in Berlin a few years back . Ed banger after party , busy p Sebastian etc 

40 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'm a fan of Neil Young but there are only so many versions of his songs I can listen to. I felt the same about the Beatles anthology series as well. I played a few from Vol 2 today but had to look quite hard to find stuff I hadn't heard before on bootlegs etc. 

But you're dead right he's an interesting artist. I would imagine a very difficult bloke to work with!

You’re right Andy but I think it’s the ‘collector syndrome’ in me. I have six or seven albums of his early stuff, so I have given Archives Vol 1 a miss. I was looking though at an eBay mint second hand copy a few weeks ago at silly money.

I think he was a quite shy guy in his twenties but has certainly developed into a difficult so and so. I’ve seen one or two interviews with him on YouTube and he’s certainly given the interviewer a tough time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You’re right Andy but I think it’s the ‘collector syndrome’ in me. I have six or seven albums of his early stuff, so I have given Archives Vol 1 a miss. I was looking though at an eBay mint second hand copy a few weeks ago at silly money.

I think he was a quite shy guy in his twenties but has certainly developed into a difficult so and so. I’ve seen one or two interviews with him on YouTube and he’s certainly given the interviewer a tough time!

‘Driven’ is the polite word for him Mark. I have a cracking Neil Young gig story but I think that is one for Blues Bar when we are allowed back!! 

• Like 1

Never been a massive Dire Straits fan but, again, the collector in me meant a couple of years ago, I bought the last two albums to complete the studio album set. I only have one of Mark Knopfler’s solo albums (Get Lucky) but, after listening to plenty of stuff on YouTube, he ain’t too bad. There are some nice instrumental compilations on there.

34 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Never been a massive Dire Straits fan but, again, the collector in me meant a couple of years ago, I bought the last two albums to complete the studio album set. I only have one of Mark Knopfler’s solo albums (Get Lucky) but, after listening to plenty of stuff on YouTube, he ain’t too bad. There are some nice instrumental compilations on there.

Some of his solo stuff is superb CLB, I lost interest after Money for nothing, but recently discovered him again.

He made a couple of albums with Emmylou Harris - All The Road running - Brilliant.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1