BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

An early Look into 21/22

32 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Assuming we are going to be in the Championship next season, then the first thing that has to be sorted is the out of contract players. Nyambe is the one that it is absolutely vital to keep. The only other 2 I would try to keep is Rothwell and JRC although I wouldn't be overpaying to desperately keep hold of either. The rest of the out of contract players I would let go. 

You'd think this summer that we are going to have to cash in on at least one high value asset. Armstrong would probably make the most sense as he will net the highest fee and he will only have 12 months left. You'd think the departure of Armstrong would also see a return to a 4-2-3-1 as Dack will be by far our most dangerous attacking option and that system gets the best out of him.

So at least one striker is going to be required probably 2 although should Vale score a hatful at Rochdale then being 3rd choice in the Championship would be the logical next step. The likes of Buckley, Magloire and Butterworth should go out on loan at decent levels where they are playing every week which will really be make or break for them in terms of whether they are to have a future at Rovers or not. Carter will obviously have to be evaluated after his current loan but a full season out loan playing first team football will probably be best for his development.

That would leave us going into next season with the following.

Goalkeeper: Kaminski, Pears + numerous others.

Right Back: Nyambe, Pike

Left Back: Pickering

Centre Back: Lenihan, Wharton, Ayala

Central Midfield: Travis, Davenport

Attackers: Dack, Rothwell, Dolan, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, 

Strikers: Gallagher, Vale

It was always going to be a summer of upheaval partly because of the number of players out of contract and partly because of the managers short term fixes in the transfer market this season. So come the summer we will definitely need a centre back, a left back, 2 central midfielders, a wide man and a striker. We may also need another centre back depending on Wharton's recovery, a right back depending on whether Pike is seen as an able deputy to Nyambe and possibly another striker as well if Vale's spell in League 1 is not very productive. 

On the other hand should we by some miracle be promoted and in the Premiership next season then we will need to spend around £150 Million just to have a chance of survive.

I dont see why Armstrong cant be the striker in a 4231 with Dack in behind. Its not something that has ever been tried due to Dacks injury and having Graham prior but you would think that closer support to Armstrong and a player in Dack who is capable of playing through balls and exploiting the space left by a retreating defence could benefit both. Dack would also provide a secondary goal threat in the box whereas no one else gets into the box with any regularity to anticipate chances. I know that Dack and Graham was a totally different proposition but there is no reason why Dack could only combine with a more static target man.

Of course we are restricted into next season by any willingness from Armstrong to sign a new deal.

On 04/02/2021 at 13:12, roversfan99 said:

The loans arent the main issue, they should be used to sign players that increase our quality that we couldnt otherwise afford, or to plug gaps due to unavailability, and that is the case with 3 of them, whilst a 4th could be signed up when out of contract.

The contractual situation is the main issue, both in regards to immediate expiry and players with a year left.

You look in goal, we have Kaminski who has a year plus a second year extension, and who is very capable. Ideally we would get a senior back up and loan about Pears but its not the priority position.

In defence, will Pickering be able to come straight into the side? No one is sure but lets assume so, even then, he is the only one who provides any certainty. Douglas can play for a deal in the next few months, if he earns one, thats left back sorted. Assuming we activate Nyambe's extension, a player who is really important to us, its either sign him long term or we would have to sell. Rankin Costello, who is not a right back naturally anyway, also needs signing up. Bell and Bennett can be released.

Central defence looks concerning too. If Lenihan has a year left, he will need a new deal or will need selling. Ayala is grossly unreliable and Wharton likely to be injured into next season. Williams again is unreliable, let him go. Once the loanees go back, unless we can get one back for another year, we need plenty of work in this position again. Obviously Mulgrew can be released.

Midfield, we have loads but again plenty of question marks. Travis is here to stay, Davenport is still proving himself. Trybull will go back, and then we have Holtby, Johnson and Evans all out of contract. We cant cut all of that experience, but equally none of the three have put down an overwhelming case to stay, that will be down to the rest of the season although Evans has had plenty of chances. Buckley needs loaning out and Downing shouldnt be retained.

In more attacking positions, Dack is signed for a couple more years which is great news. Rothwell will have a year once his clause is activated, may be decision time on him, and Brereton only has a year too, as does Dolan. Elliott will take some replacing. Armstrong will need a new contract if possible or a sale is inevitable. 

Most of them will sign new deals like lenihan, dolan, brereton, JRC etc Johnson has another year dosnt he ? Holtby I don't think will think missing his family has affected his game and I couldn't blame him of he opts to leave, I thought Wharton was only out till summer but either way ayala being a liability cahse of injury we will likely need to recruit 2 more defenders 1 on loan 1 perm to provide depth and cover unless carter makes great progress and Burton and comes back and hits tbe ground running same with magliore. 

The club are working on extensions for arma and nyambe, obviously at left back signing Douglas will be great cause then we are covered cause otherwise we only have Thompson in the 23s as back up or JRC but at right back there is nyambe and JRC who does a smashing job then the fantastic young pike who will be nyambes replacement when he is eventually sold on.

Either way a lot of deadwood will be gone saving big wages Evans especially who conveniently again is fit in good time for the international break he will no doubt end up at Stoke 

21 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't need any signings in the keeper department

We need a 3 defensive signings including a right back, centre back and left back. Plus Nyambe and Lenihan with new contracts aswell. Maybe Pike could be the back up right back 

in Midfield, We should release Downing, Johnson, Bennett and Evans. We will then have Rothwell, Buckley, Travis, Davenport. So we need 1 signings, Possibly renew Holtby contract

on wide players, we have Dolan, Brereton, JRC, Brennan, So need 1 wide player for me. 

Then striker/number 10 we have Armstrong, Dack, Gallagher and hopefully Vale, so possible need 1 striker in

So overall we need between 6 to 8 new signings plus a number of current players need new contracts like Armstrong, Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe

Right back nyambe,JRC and pike we are well equipped 

Defenders defends on when Wharton gets back but we need 1 or 2 preferably 1 on perm as ayala is a liability and also depends on carter and magloires progress of they are ready 

Midfield I thought Johnson had another year but obviously not so he's playing for a contract but obviously we need experience so I would give him another year while the rest go but Holtby I think wants to go back to Germany, the balance leaves us with travis and davenport as the more defensive midfielders, Buckley who needs a year on loan in l1 to toughen up as your more creative midfielder and rothwell and dack as your more attacking with lyons as an option too so my assessment on midfield is we are gonna need to add a couple, we need someone who can sit and move the ball around like downing and Holtby and a box to box type is ideal

Wingers elliots departure will be huge boots to fill, only wingers are dolan, JRC who should be played there cause its his actual position and brereton means we are lacking that experience and genuine proven quality so we need 1 or 2 unless of course we change the system which I doubt we will.

Strikers Armstrong and Gallagher are abd should be our only options based on our current squad Gallagher shouldn't be considered a winger so its one or the other or both upfront so ideally we need 1 more striker 

18 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Assuming we are going to be in the Championship next season, then the first thing that has to be sorted is the out of contract players. Nyambe is the one that it is absolutely vital to keep. The only other 2 I would try to keep is Rothwell and JRC although I wouldn't be overpaying to desperately keep hold of either. The rest of the out of contract players I would let go. 

You'd think this summer that we are going to have to cash in on at least one high value asset. Armstrong would probably make the most sense as he will net the highest fee and he will only have 12 months left. You'd think the departure of Armstrong would also see a return to a 4-2-3-1 as Dack will be by far our most dangerous attacking option and that system gets the best out of him.

So at least one striker is going to be required probably 2 although should Vale score a hatful at Rochdale then being 3rd choice in the Championship would be the logical next step. The likes of Buckley, Magloire and Butterworth should go out on loan at decent levels where they are playing every week which will really be make or break for them in terms of whether they are to have a future at Rovers or not. Carter will obviously have to be evaluated after his current loan but a full season out loan playing first team football will probably be best for his development.

That would leave us going into next season with the following.

Goalkeeper: Kaminski, Pears + numerous others.

Right Back: Nyambe, Pike

Left Back: Pickering

Centre Back: Lenihan, Wharton, Ayala

Central Midfield: Travis, Davenport

Attackers: Dack, Rothwell, Dolan, Rankin-Costello, Brereton, 

Strikers: Gallagher, Vale

It was always going to be a summer of upheaval partly because of the number of players out of contract and partly because of the managers short term fixes in the transfer market this season. So come the summer we will definitely need a centre back, a left back, 2 central midfielders, a wide man and a striker. We may also need another centre back depending on Wharton's recovery, a right back depending on whether Pike is seen as an able deputy to Nyambe and possibly another striker as well if Vale's spell in League 1 is not very productive. 

On the other hand should we by some miracle be promoted and in the Premiership next season then we will need to spend around £150 Million just to have a chance of survive.

Great Post mate! Think arma is gonna sign but no doubt there will be interest so if we can get 20m plus then snap it up that can buy us quality all over the pitch with our great recruitment team we can save a lot too.

JRC is gonna be back up at right back but I don't think for long cause pike has everyone sitting up and will replace nyambe, nyambe like Armstrong signing d new contract will have us make a mint, cayse another good season and he will go for 15m plus then by then I'm sure pike will be ready