BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

QPR Away / Mercer’s Wine Club

Are Rovers a real contender for top 6 or are we bottlejobs?  JR gave us the key to the door... now we just need to open it! Typically we like playing QPR - but something in my boots tells me this could be tricky... Charlie is back scoring goals, and they have Johansen in midfield (who we were linked it earlier) so I think we can expect a bit of a scrap come saturday... more thoughts for you right here....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rigger said:

The problem is that Bennet is not very good in any of those positions.

So you would prefer Buckley at right back ?

Bennett gets undue stick from the fans - who still has some quality about him, and always gives 100% - an excellent bench player who can fill more than one position. Not as first choice - but a good option IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

I smell death spiral no.347 coming on here 

You wouldn't know that Evans was a 30 year old international footballer based on this U23 game against Man United. Hardly looks a class apart, even from his teammates(the United team is far more talented). 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

54 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Bennett gets undue stick from the fans - who still has some quality about him, and always gives 100% - an excellent bench player who can fill more than one position. Not as first choice - but a good option IMO.

We have enough quality in depth now not to bother with Bennet.  The guy is a liability irrespective of his commitment to the cause. If its Bennet or Bucko when Ryan goes then we are screwed.  I suspect it will be neither and Benno will be off to Shrewsbury sooner rather than later.   He can take the boy wonder with him....

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

When did Bennett last produce any quality in a Rovers shirt?

Football is about opinions - I think he is a good option to have on the bench - and he does get undue stick from the fans. Is he 1st team material ? not any more - but as cover we could do a lot worse. Not ignoring your question - I can remember numerous good crosses, excellent covering tackles and good distribution - I can also remember some stupid passes to his invisible friend, and poor crossing from good positions - which is why he would only be a squad player for me.

If it makes you feel any better - I think first cover for right back would now be Harwood-Bellis - who has played there on the odd occasion for City.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

No, I would prefer, Nyambe, then Pike, Then JRC, Then Bennett. I have never mentioned and never will mention Buckley as a full-back.

• Like 1

On the Bennett debate, he's less useful now because of the increased subs quota. Its always good to have a versatile player on your bench if you only have 3 subs, when you have 5 to go at you have better options available. That said, i wouldn't really object to him having a spot on the bench, he's obviously well respected, experienced and a true pro.

One of the reasons he used to get a lot of negative reactions from fans was because he was being picked over Nyambe amongst others as Mowbray tried to shoehorn him in, thats not exactly his fault though is it. I 'think' Mowbray is over that now, at least I hope so.....

• Like 3

Side picks itself to be honest

-------------------Kaminski

Nyambe----Lenihan-----Branthwaite----Douglas

---------Travis-----Holtby----Rothwell

--------Elliott----Armstrong----Brereton

That was basically what Tony wanted at the stat of the season (although Williams for Branthwaite). He's started all the recent games 433. Holtby, Travis and Rothwell as a three looked really good till Travis got injured.

Second half when the Dackster comes on it shifts to

-------------------Kaminski

Nyambe----Lenihan-----Branthwaite----Douglas

----------------Travis-----Holtby

--------Elliott---------Dack -----Brereton/Rothwell/Dolan

--------------------Armstrong

That's the pattern we have seen in recent games.

If Douglas can't play due to child Bell is a straight swap in.

The City lad will be on the bench,

Subs : Pears, Harwood-Bellis, Bell, Davenport/Downing, Dack, Dolan, Gallagher

Edited by joey_big_nose

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

If Douglas doesn't play it might give Tony an opportunity to play his shiny new centre half from city and shove left footed Branthwaite out to left back. I'm not for one minute saying I want this to happen though.

Doesn't look much like the marauding left back we rely on in our 433 to give us the width... But you never know!

30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

One of the reasons he used to get a lot of negative reactions from fans was because he was being picked over Nyambe amongst others as Mowbray tried to shoehorn him in, thats not exactly his fault though is it. I 'think' Mowbray is over that now, at least I hope so.....

That's not true.  If Bennett played as well, if not better than Nyambe then the fans wouldn't give a shyte who he was picked ahead of.  It's purely the fact that he has been solely responsible for many goals whilst being in that position.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Bennett hasnt played and we have let in a lot less.goals so far this season?  If Mowbray plays him at the back we will start to ship goals a plenty like the last 2 seasons when he has been integral.  Wake up man!

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That's not true.  If Bennett played as well, if not better than Nyambe then the fans wouldn't give a shyte who he was picked ahead of.  It's purely the fact that he has been solely responsible for many goals whilst being in that position.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Bennett hasnt played and we have let in a lot less.goals so far this season?  If Mowbray plays him at the back we will start to ship goals a plenty like the last 2 seasons when he has been integral.  Wake up man!

Wow - I thought there was 11 players on the pitch. Didnt realise that one player could be responsible for so many goals - especially considering Nyambe played 31 and 29 matches in those two seasons - so I would presume Bennett wasn't playing right back all season.

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Wow - I thought there was 11 players on the pitch. Didnt realise that one player could be responsible for so many goals - especially considering Nyambe played 31 and 29 matches in those two seasons - so I would presume Bennett wasn't playing right back all season.

He has been weak for the past 2 seasons, we have much better now and it's time for him to leave. You would get on with Tony and his "get along gang"   handing contracts out like confetti.   

He must be on 10k per week, we need to pay a better player this money. Bennett Out!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has been weak for the past 2 seasons, we have much better now and it's time for him to leave. You would get on with Tony and his "get along gang"   handing contracts out like confetti.   

He must be on 10k per week, we need to pay a better player this money. Bennett Out!

Wow. "Bennett out" now that's a new low. I actually hope it's some sort of joke that I've missed. 

Whilst not being good enough for our current 11, Bennett seems to be a very important part of the squad who has done nothing but give his all for rovers. Why on earth would a supporter start wanting him out

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Ossydave said:

On the Bennett debate, he's less useful now because of the increased subs quota. Its always good to have a versatile player on your bench if you only have 3 subs, when you have 5 to go at you have better options available. That said, i wouldn't really object to him having a spot on the bench, he's obviously well respected, experienced and a true pro.

I wouldn’t even say he’s versatile. He’s a midfielder who, at Mowbray’s behest, played poorly at right back, left back, etc. Could also play him in goal but doesn’t make him a keeper. Bennett was a stalwart in league one, a big part of the promotion and frankly that’s where he should have stayed.

Prepared to give Mowbray the benefit of the doubt about his Bennett in at all costs attitude. A quadruple substitution with bennett left on the bench was unthinkable even last season. 

Edited by matt83

Bennett was good first season back in the Championship. I think he either had the most or 2nd most assists. He had some very good games that season. He's a midfielder, his rep was damaged when Mogga played him RB and LB. 

Still worth a place on the bench. Works hard and is excellent at closing people down and winning the ball. 

Obviously not everyone is Harvey Elliot with the ball at their feet. 

Back to the uneducated bobbins.... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Of course it's true.

Peoples frustration (my own included) at Mowbrays insistence on fitting Benno in the team ahead of better players who actually played that position meant he was always thrust under the microscope every game.

I think I've made clear he shouldn't be playing, if Pears was getting picked over Kaminski it'd be exactly the same.

We've conceded like 6 less goals this season after the same number of games and thats down to more than just Bennett not playing, Kaminski for one......

Wake up indeed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rigger said:

No, I would prefer, Nyambe, then Pike, Then JRC, Then Bennett. I have never mentioned and never will mention Buckley as a full-back.

Personally I have never seen Pike play, as far as I am aware he has never played at any level beyond U23. In the numerous times you have watched him actually play, what makes you think he is ready to start ahead of an experienced player ?

JRC is injured.

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Personally I have never seen Pike play, as far as I am aware he has never played at any level beyond U23. In the numerous times you have watched him actually play, what makes you think he is ready to start ahead of an experienced player ?

JRC is injured.

Because he is a full-back. I realise JRC is injured. My list of players, is my preference of player for the right-back position at any time.