BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

QPR Away / Mercer’s Wine Club

3 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

What a great post.

The biggest thing which irked me yesterday was Mowbray bring on the City lad at full back to replace Nyambe. We supposedly have a good prospect - Pike - at right back, so why on earth does Mowbray  choose to play a loanee instead, and even worse, play him out of position? 

There are certainly parallels between Mowbray and Bowyer and I can see this City lad being our new Michael Keane. Shoe horned in at RB as he needs to play every week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

There are certainly parallels between Mowbray and Bowyer and I can see this City lad being our new Michael Keane. Shoe horned in at RB as he needs to play every week.

To be fair to Bowyer in that example, Keane did well there and we had more quality at that time at CB than at RB, so Keane was an upgrade on Kane and Henley.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he might never the same player he was before the injury. He might to adapt his game. Hopefully this is not the case but it could be the case. 

Rovers will be managing his game time for months to come following the advice of his surgeon and our medical team. You want to keep rushing him back. 

You just cant expect the old Dack to return a few weeks. 

I have never said that I expect him to return instantly. I am saying that the only way he will return to full match fitness and full form is by starting league games. Continued cameos (often within periods whereby our shape is out the window and he barely gets a kick) will not lead to a return to the Dack we know.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He wanted to sign Keane permanently. That's the big difference. There's absolutely no chance we are signing any of the 3 lads we have on loan now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos he might never the same player he was before the injury. He might to adapt his game. Hopefully this is not the case but it could be the case. 

Rovers will be managing his game time for months to come following the advice of his surgeon and our medical team. You want to keep rushing him back. 

You just cant expect the old Dack to return a few weeks. 

It's over 12 months now since Dack's injury and he looks a long way off match fitness.

Looking at Dack, IMO, he is also overweight.

Agree, he may never be the same player again.

Sadly, Dack was not blessed with pace pre injury and, IMO, he seems significantly less mobile than he was pre injury.

I don't think the signs for Dack are overly encouraging.  Compare to Shearer (almost 30 years since he did his cruciate - Boxing Day 1992 if my memory is correct) who I seem to think was back scoring goals prodigiously in well under 12 months and since those days, surgery and rehab have advanced enormously.  

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You have constantly downplayed the return of Dack, whether he would never be the same again or indeed repeatedly asking for him to be sold, but lets stop this nonsense about his fitness. He has been fit for a couple of months and made a cameo on boxing day, he made 3 cameos in fact within was it 10 days or so, scoring in the last one. That was on the back of under 23 appearances, and then he went on to play the majority of a game in the cup, albeit in a stupid position. He has since reverted back to cameo appearances, he played for the kids again (a full 90 minutes) last week, he is now in a position whereby he wont get any fitter/sharper without starting League games, and until he does, he wont get back to the player we know. He has to start games in his best position. Armstrong's goals are not as frequent and the supporting cast quite simply do not come up with the goods, of course not aided by our tactical inconsistencies.

He has repeatedly flirted with other formations, this box midfield (4222) has been seen on numerous occasions lately which tends to leave us congested in midfield and with the strikers too far apart. The false 9 bollocks as you rightly criticise is never far away.

At this stage in a managers tenure, you should have a rough idea of a favoured team when everyone is fit, or indeed shape, and we simply dont. Dack and Armstrong are the 2 goalscorers we have, Elliott until recently has been very good but none of the supporting cast are consistent enough to justify building around them, whereas Dack and Armstrong get goals.

My point on Downing was because Mowbray again used his substitutions without any strategy. Something he has been criticised about even prior to his Rovers career has been what he does when his team needs a goal, he just throws attackers on without any plan, purely out of desperation and games tend to fizzle out because we have no structure. Remember when Samuel came on I think v Luton at right wing back?! When he brought Brereton on, who has been shocking since returning from injury, we already had Armstrong, Dack, Elliott and Dolan on. Downing could have slotted in next to Travis, Dack off Armstrong, Dolan left, Elliott right, plenty of goal threat and a semblence of structure. As it was, Dack and Elliott spent most of their time too far away from goal and the game fizzled out.

Ya and when he brings all th attackers on, they end up getting in each others way and occupying each others space. It looks so amateur. As a you say, Downing on with the attackers ,would give us a platform to actually play the ball strategically into the front areas. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's over 12 months now since Dack's injury and he looks a long way off match fitness.

Sadly, Dack was not blessed with pace pre injury and, IMO, he seems significantly less mobile than he was pre injury.

I don't think the signs for Dack are overly encouraging.  Compare to Shearer (almost 30 years since he did his cruciate - Boxing Day 1992 if my memory is correct) who I seem to think was back scoring goals prodigiously in well under 12 months and since those days, surgery and rehab have advanced enormously.  

I don't think Dack looks any heavier or less fit than he was before the injury. Doesn't look as sharp maybe,but it's hard to tell when he's playing out of position and/or only for cameos. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

He’s always been stocky that’s just his build, he looks no different now to any other time he’s played for us. Give the lad time and hopefully we will see the best of him again eventually.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

The fact he signed the new contract without a murmur spoke volumes for me. Even today with all the advanced medical techniques not everybody makes it back from a 12 month long injury. I know nothing about the respective injuries but I suspect Dack's was worse than Shearer's.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

The next time Swag starts whingeing about I follow take up he should be referred to Parson's post in this thread.

It's a pity Mowbray doesn't get more involved with the coaching during the week it would give him less time contemplating his navel worrying about the opposition and devising nonsensical scheme's to nullify their fantasised strengths

• Like 1

Yes Dack isn’t fit and he hasn’t had the impact we hoped.

But TM isn’t helping with his approach of chucking on four subs at once like an international friendly and ending up with about 5 forwards on the pitch, but no discernible shape.

Does he have a clue of what to do with him in the post Danny Graham team?

On 2/6/2021 at 11:00, chaddyrovers said:

Not the result we wanted

Sounded we were poor for most of the game. 

We had our chances but didnt take them..

We must beat Preston on Friday night

But we won't., it's time to drop, too close to top 6 for comfort.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Very disappointing result, but in all the dummy spitting in the last 8 pages not a mention of us hitting the post, two fantastic saves and two gimmes missed, whereas all they did was a scabby scrambled goal. Personally I think Armstrong and Elliot lost us the game between them for the shocking misses and Armstrong’s usual no hope shots.

Nyambe deserved the hook IMO, first 20 mins he was a disaster, and when not doing that he’d be 40 yards upfield leaving Travis to spend half his time being a right back. No surprise when the City lad came on that Travis was much more influential in the centre.

Should’ve won at a canter but with Armstrong and Elliott being crap for weeks now we don’t have enough goals. Need more consistent goalscorers to be a real top 6 threat.

Course not, you kniw where you are EiT right?  Just so bloody maddening we did plenty enough to win this game.  Gally guilty more than once of stopping in the box when if he had fillowed the ball he would have had tap ins.  Still when Arma never passes to him why would he.  Another one today Arma shot when Gally was unmarked in front of goal.  Just frickin infuriated with this predictability.

8 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Course not, you kniw where you are EiT right?  Just so bloody maddening we did plenty enough to win this game.  Gally guilty more than once of stopping in the box when if he had fillowed the ball he would have had tap ins.  Still when Arma never passes to him why would he.  Another one today Arma shot when Gally was unmarked in front of goal.  Just frickin infuriated with this predictability.

Gally doesn’t have a striker’s instinct IMO, rarely gambles, he moves toward the ball, not toward where the ball is going to, or might go to. Last ten games, Armstrong has looked like he did in his first six months when TM saying he’ll be our centre forward one day sounded laughable.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto

25 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Gally doesn’t have a striker’s instinct IMO, rarely gambles, he moves toward the ball, not toward where the ball is going to, or might go to. Last ten games, Armstrong has looked like he did in his first six months when TM saying he’ll be our centre forward one day sounded laughable.

He has even less of a wingers instinct. But Mowbray keeps picking him there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The fact he signed the new contract without a murmur spoke volumes for me. Even today with all the advanced medical techniques not everybody makes it back from a 12 month long injury. I know nothing about the respective injuries but I suspect Dack's was worse than Shearer's.

I don't know that I'd say he signed it 'without a murmur'. It was an ongoing saga for a year! I mean he didn't willy wave about joining another club in public but I wouldn't have expected him to anyway, but especially since he was injured.

Agree there's always the prospect of him never being back to his best though, for any player with that injury.

The management and coaches are just going through the motions they've told us as much. Keep plodding until told otherwise and just see where it goes.

Great mentality to break into the top 6 that is no wonder half the team look on auto pilot.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

I am annoyed with myself for getting excited before the QPR match. I have managed to temper my expectations over the last few seasons but for some reason thought we might be able to finally become contenders this time - albeit unconvincinglly. I think it was the hope that 10 points from 12 without playing too well, may have injected some extra belief and determination into the team. No such luck! I really should have known better.

I can't understand the apparant lack of a spark or any real fight. I don't think Mowbray's and Venus' pitch-side demeanors help at all. They really look as if they aren't that interested slumped in their seats.

I noticed Charlie Austin constantly encouraging his team mates and shouting and generally looking like he wanted to win at all costs. That is the sort of character we are missing. I fully believe we had the personnel to beat QPR but we didn't have the application or the desire. Why is that ? I think I know the answer.

I notice that in the LT interview, after describing how we managed to lose, Mowbray ended with 'Never mind - move on to the next game'  sums it up really ! 

I can't comment on the wine debate as I can't stand the stuff but I think I'll be crying into my Guinness for many Saturdays to come.

Excellent post Crimpshrine. You're correct about Charlie Austin. Every team needs a winner but our lot came out as if they where auditioning for "some mother do ave em". 

On Tony Mowbray, his match day attitude has been questioned before and if you add this to his "let's move on" after match interviews it makes me think what encouragement does he give in the dressing room and at training sessions. Very little judging by what we saw on Saturday. 

Not good enough Tony for this proud football club. You're a nice chap, got us back into the Championship, but the requirements at this level are more. We need an enthusiastic manager to bring out the best of these young lads including the rising U23 stars.

Can't see any change coming in the remaining matches but a new manager will give us hope for next season.   

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Excellent post Crimpshrine. You're correct about Charlie Austin. Every team needs a winner but our lot came out as if they where auditioning for "some mother do ave em". 

On Tony Mowbray, his match day attitude has been questioned before and if you add this to his "let's move on" after match interviews it makes me think what encouragement does he give in the dressing room and at training sessions. Very little judging by what we saw on Saturday. 

Not good enough Tony for this proud football club. You're a nice chap, got us back into the Championship, but the requirements at this level are more. We need an enthusiastic manager to bring out the best of these young lads including the rising U23 stars.

Can't see any change coming in the remaining matches but a new manager will give us hope for next season.   

I agree, we are Blackburn Rovers, we expect better from our manager.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I don't know that I'd say he signed it 'without a murmur'. It was an ongoing saga for a year! I mean he didn't willy wave about joining another club in public but I wouldn't have expected him to anyway, but especially since he was injured.

Agree there's always the prospect of him never being back to his best though, for any player with that injury.

Call me a cynic but I think it was significant he signed after he'd had a run out or two.

• Like 1