BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

National league and North and South

Chorley match yesterday was the only one in national league north to be played others postponed due to weather and clubs refusing to play.

The season resumed whilst the vote on whether to continue or finish remains outstanding with clubs having a 28 day period to vote. Why restart when you may stop again in two weeks.

National league threaten clubs who refuse to play with fines and point awarded to opponent. Bradford pa  have voted to stop on the grounds they didn't agree for the second tranche of money to be a loan earlier in the season. Their opponents Farsley Celtic have also voted to stop so national league can't award points to opponents in this case. Bradford say why restart season and spend thousands they don't have when result in a few weeks of the vote may see season ended. Makes sense.

National league have got themselves in a right mess if clubs can't afford to play the game how do they expect them to pay a fine.

It is also possible for the individual national leagues to vote with a different outcome it appears.

Would they not be better having a lengthy pause and restarting again say in May and playing during the summer when covid rates are lower and there is a possibility of fans getting back in the grounds to some degree and generate some income to maintain the clubs.

Some out of the box thinking is required rather than just giving up

• Like 2

Clubs at step 1 and 2 have been badly let down by both the National League and the government. The whole situation is a complete mess but the least worst decision would be to vote to null and void the season. I sincerely hope that clubs vote to do that otherwise the mess is only going to get bigger and I would really fear for the future of some clubs.

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Clubs at step 1 and 2 have been badly let down by both the National League and the government. The whole situation is a complete mess but the least worst decision would be to vote to null and void the season. I sincerely hope that clubs vote to do that otherwise the mess is only going to get bigger and I would really fear for the future of some clubs.

It's certainly the preferred option of some clubs for a second year running. If you take a view that this is now endemic within the population and will vary in extent on which season it is need to be finding alternatives

Chorley have voted to keep playing but tonights game against Spennymoor is off as Spenny have said they arent playing for the rest of the season,if you ask me that should go down as a forfeit and awarded 3-0 win to Chorley.It's a bit of a mess atm.

• Like 2

Clubs are now going to be sanctioned for not playing. The National League continue to disgrace themselves, it's almost as though they want clubs to go under.  These tossers in suits who run the game really are complete jobsworths with no feeling whatsoever for the game and they are presiding over a complete and utter shambles.

• Like 4

Slough Town's joint-manager has said he's embarrassed to be associated with the League and Southport have called them the gift that keeps on giving. Proper football that is, give me that all day before the pristine, water tight PR statements you usually see these days.

Such a shame though that this isn't a laugh, it's literally clubs trying to keep themselves alive. Tonbridge Angels have already said they'll go under by the end of the month if the situation continues. 

The National League hardly covered itself in glory finishing up last season but this has just been a shambles from start to finish. What it really needs, like all the protests and outraged levied at Fifa, the FA, the EFL and whoever is someone (i.e. a club) to stand up and actually resign, or organise a mass disobediance, or whatever. More power to them if they do.

Edited by GHR

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

National league season to continue but north and south declared null and void BBC sport reporting

Still a bit of chaos in the Natonal League,7 clubs voted to end season and they have to decide if they will do as theyre told and play on,Dover have already said theyre playing no more games,will be interesting to see how they'll be punished.

10 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Still a bit of chaos in the Natonal League,7 clubs voted to end season and they have to decide if they will do as theyre told and play on,Dover have already said theyre playing no more games,will be interesting to see how they'll be punished.

I read that two clubs hadn't yet cast their votes in the NL and the story said that the clubs who voted to end the season might just refused play like Dover have. It's a real mess.

By the way the Chief Executive of the three leagues is a Rovers fan and local lad.

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I read that two clubs hadn't yet cast their votes in the NL and the story said that the clubs who voted to end the season might just refused play like Dover have. It's a real mess.

By the way the Chief Executive of the three leagues is a Rovers fan and local lad.

Get him to apply for Waggots job.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

There is potential at present for up to nine clubs refusing to play including Dover. If they all follow Dovers lead I don't see how the league can carry on. However if the others follow the leagues instructions and don't follow Dover the league will carry on with Dovers results expunged and relegated. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

There is potential at present for up to nine clubs refusing to play including Dover. If they all follow Dovers lead I don't see how the league can carry on. However if the others follow the leagues instructions and don't follow Dover the league will carry on with Dovers results expunged and relegated. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

It will be interesting from many aspects. Promotion, relegation, TV contracts/monies and players contracts will be under intense scrutiny and there will be winners and losers.

It's a sad situation and could signal the death knell for many clubs.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

He left the end of last year and what a mess he left it in.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Get him to apply for Waggots job.

With the shambles he has presided over, no thanks. I think I'd rather have Waggott. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It will be interesting from many aspects. Promotion, relegation, TV contracts/monies and players contracts will be under intense scrutiny and there will be winners and losers.

It's a sad situation and could signal the death knell for many clubs.

Chorley are lucky they had the FA Cup run this season getting money off that,without that money they'd be one of the clubs hanging on by a thread.

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He left the end of last year and what a mess he left it in.

With the shambles he has presided over, no thanks. I think I'd rather have Waggott. 

I missed the fact he had gone but he achieved some good things for the clubs whilst in the role.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/national-league-statement-ceo-michael-tattersall-t-64622

To add further intrigue to this sorry mess I understand the the government has failed to produce minutes of the meeting with the national league and dcms despite being asked to do so. This revolves around clubs thinking the second tranche of money would be a grant and not a loan when they agreed to start the season. I understand Lyndsay Hoyle has sought clarification of this from Dowden the minister.

• Like 1

Considerable number of clubs dissatisfied with national league handling of this have signed an open letter expressing their views link is https://www.chorleyfc.com/2021/02/19/an-open-letter-to-mark-ives/. It's also on Chorley web site if that link doesn't work for anyone interested in reading it. Whole thing is a mess.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

BBC reporting Gloucester city leaders national league north now taking legal action against scrapping of promotion. This is going to get very messy. Chorley reporting the restart and then stop again has cost £30000

I do feel sorry for Gloucester even though I think the vote to end the season is the correct one. They've been mid table at this level for years, due to the unfortunate geographical nature of the 2 leagues they have had to play all but 2 of the last 12 seasons in the National North and until this season haven't had a ground to call their own for over a decade.

• 3 weeks later...