BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers, Wed 17th Feb

Enthusiasm, excitement... hope? It’s telling when I am needed to start the match thread!

With settled teams often the most successful, TM will be reaching for his selection lottery machine. Heaven knows what the starting XI will be. Tea-lady might be in with a shout for right back, if they haven’t been furloughed.

We tend to nick a result when it’s all doom and gloom, but I can’t see past a draw which TM will be brimming with pride over, despite the calamitous late equaliser.

My one hope is that Dolan gets a run, our young ‘stars’ need game time to kick on.

Presume the match will be on the red button, though iFollow gets the nod on quality.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Harwood Bellis Douglas

Travis Davenport

Elliott Dack Brereton

Armstrong

Branthwaite should be dropped, would be equally happy with Downing next to Travis. Brereton or Dolan a tight call too. Rothwell doesnt deserve to play either.

Dont think the game overly matters, play offs arent happening so I suppose its all about finishing as high as possible in the mini league that is forming away from the top 6, ranging from 7th to 15th. Top half of that and he can spin it as progress, bottom half less so. Well, who am I kidding, as if Venkys care enough to be so invested.

• Like 2

Couldn't really care less any more. A win is highly unlikely. 

All I really want is for Rich Sharpe and the other media guys to ask Mowbray how Barnsley's slow build is coming along having had 3 managers in just over a year, spent very little and sold their best players yet are now looking a better side than us. Wonder what his excuse will be on that one.

• Like 5

Doing a mercer but after the knives justifiably coming out after the Preston game from all quarters, TMs survival instincts will kick in and we will get a win. 

If we don't win it's Nayambe's fault. 

All the loan lads will get game time. What position they play though is anyone's guess. 

Armstrong will score for us as no one else will. 

If you tune in at half time you won't have missed much. 

1-0 Rovers as we employ our trademark play badly and fluke a goal tactics that we have seen numerous times this season. 

Season feels just about done, well before Easter. We were fairly quick off the grid but now the tyres are balding and the wobbles look like they’re about to turn in to a crash.

My interest/passion isn’t anywhere near where it usually is. I can stand being rubbish. I often enjoy watching Rovers through the scrappy periods. But I can’t stand watching this manager waste what should be a top 6 squad. Tactical incompetence, beyond frustrating.

Will we see our 6’5 target man out on the right wing? Will we see our 18 goal striker stuck to their right back in an attempt to exploit non existent space? Will we see our star attacking midfielder playing in a totally pointless false 9 role, starving him of being able to do the things he does well? How many goals will we concede from set pieces/crosses? Will our right back be replaced by a central defender whilst chasing the game for no apparent reason? 

Barnsley look a good side, making the most out of their resources. I really like Mowatt in midfield. He’s out of contract in the summer, if they don’t tie him up I would be all over him to partner Travis.

We are still a soft touch defensively and despite outsiders thinking otherwise we are far from clinical in attack. Expecting Barnsley to win by a goal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

All I really want is for Rich Sharpe and the other media guys to ask Mowbray how Barnsley's slow build is coming along having had 3 managers in just over a year, spent very little and sold their best players yet are now looking a better side than us. Wonder what his excuse will be on that one.

All good questions. 

thoughts on Buckley’s re-signing?

Edited by WacoRover

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Dolan

Gallagher Evans Buckley Dack

Harwood-Bellis Armstrong Bennett

Douglas    Kaminski

Branthwaite

1-0 Rovers

This formation is too recognizable.  I think 1 in the back 5 up front and 4 others central as we know wide players are not fancied 

6 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Dolan

Gallagher Evans Buckley Dack

Harwood-Bellis Armstrong Bennett

Douglas    Kaminski

Branthwaite

1-0 Rovers

I dunno, perhaps play kami ski up front ala a poacher. He can catch the ball in the box and throw it in to score. I'd be promoting SG, we need his quickness and organisational skills elsewhere in the club as i  am fed up waiting for my half time refreshments, galleys skills would be better served there. Other than that have you considered playing TM at the back? He is a solid player and his defensive organisation rivals galleys in the kitchens.

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

His excuse will be that we have had a long break since last Friday in comparison to Barnsley who have had 3 tough games in 7 days so they have been able to keep the momentum going and it will take us time to get used to training back on the pitches at Brockholes since the frost has disappeared.

• Like 1

I would line up 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Harwood-Bellis Douglas 

Travis  Davenport

Dolan             Elliott         Brereton 

Armstrong 

If we had Wharton and JRC fit I would go 3 at the back in 3-5-2 and line up like this

Kaminski

Harwood-Bellis Lenihan Wharton

Rankin-Costello Travis  Davenport Douglas 

Elliott

Gallagher  Armstrong 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would line up 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Harwood-Bellis Douglas 

Travis  Davenport

Dolan             Elliott         Brereton 

Armstrong 

If we had Wharton and JRC fit I would go 3 at the back in 3-5-2 and line up like this

Kaminski

Harwood-Bellis Lenihan Wharton

Rankin-Costello Travis  Davenport Douglas 

Elliott

Gallagher  Armstrong 

But we haven't. What I can't understand, is that with the return of two players who are not first team regulars, you would change our entire formation ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Just the type of game we'll win well and usually do when his backs to the wall. He has a funny knack of getting them up for it and on the front foot when criticism grows, something regularly missing when we then get in touching distance of doing something.

It can't keep being assumed these players have some kind of mental block it's more obvious what is on display doesn't work often enough. I think we'll get the early goal and win this we are due a performance but i also honestly think they could leave Mowbray & Venus at home and still win it. Stick Downing in charge or something we need a breath of fresh air !

Barnsley  1   Rovers   3

• K-Hod pinned this topic
15 minutes ago, rigger said:

But we haven't. What I can't understand, is that with the return of two players who are not first team regulars, you would change our entire formation ?

Wharton and Rankin-Costello would have regularly in the team if they didnt get injury in my opinion

There is nothing wrong with trying a different formation when we aren't performing and not scoring enough. plus I want to give Armstrong a partner up front. 

• Like 1

Tough game this. We only just scraped a win at home when we were on form.

Barnsley have some quality with Chaplin and Mowatt always playing well against us. 

Much will depend on who is available but its not a game for semi-fit players or ones who are short of form or confidence.

The defence pretty much picks itself as despite his poor showing on Friday, Branthwaite is still the best available (unless Ayala makes a swift recovery). Douglas or Bell at left back is a toss up with neither being too effective. Evans or Trybull to return? 

The main thing is that we set up properly with everyone knowing their job and position. Yes Tony we need a formation! 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wharton and Rankin-Costello would have regularly in the team if they didnt get injury in my opinion

There is nothing wrong with trying a different formation when we aren't performing and not scoring enough. plus I want to give Armstrong a partner up front. 

But we have got able replacements for Wharton and Rankin Costello. Why not change the formation now. Why would you wait for those two to come back. By the way, isn't Wharton out for the season.