BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers, Wed 17th Feb

15 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Tough game this. We only just scraped a win at home when we were on form.

Barnsley have some quality with Chaplin and Mowatt always playing well against us. 

Much will depend on who is available but its not a game for semi-fit players or ones who are short of form or confidence.

The defence pretty much picks itself as despite his poor showing on Friday, Branthwaite is still the best available (unless Ayala makes a swift recovery). Douglas or Bell at left back is a toss up with neither being too effective. Evans or Trybull to return? 

The main thing is that we set up properly with everyone knowing their job and position. Yes Tony we need a formation! 

Douglas v Bell isnt a debate, Douglas has been our best player along with Lenihan over the last 6 weeks or so and much improved. Bell is continiously shite. Regarding Lenihans partner, Mowbray signed 2 centre backs in January and with one looking error prone, surely its time for Harwood Bellis.

Also, Dack still has to start, we need him at full sharpness and fully firing as soon as possible. Elliott is better from the right @chaddyrovers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

But we have got able replacements for Wharton and Rankin Costello. Why not change the formation now. Why would you wait for those two to come back. By the way, isn't Wharton out for the season. 

who the replacement for Rankin Costello? Nyambe can't play wing back role. 

My point was if Rankin Costello and Wharton were fit they would both be starting for me. 

Playing Wharton on the left of back 3 gives the back a balance which doesn't happen when a right footed played there

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack still has to start, we need him at full sharpness and fully firing as soon as possible. Elliott is better from the right @chaddyrovers

Dack starts if his performance warrant it and for me, he is miles away from his best. We need to winning games now if we going to make top 6 not playing Dack to gain his fitness. 

Elliott would play in the hole behind Armstrong cos I want Dolan pace in the team and him to force Their Barnsley wing back Styles back into the full back area as much as possible

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

But we have got able replacements for Wharton and Rankin Costello. Why not change the formation now. Why would you wait for those two to come back. By the way, isn't Wharton out for the season. 

We'll be lucky if Wharton's fit to start next season. JRC seems to have been injured a long while now. Who is this Ayala people are speaking of ?

I can't see anything but a loss, unless they get a man sent off early on, then we should get a draw at least.

I've seen some poor teams and bad players in our shirt over the years but I can't recall a more disorganised team ever. That includes the Kean and Coyle era. At least players were played in what was supposed to be their recognised positions and the teams had a shape, poor as it was. 

What I'm really tired of seeing is average teams doing us because they are better set up and are willing to work harder. That is getting really old. Unfortunately that is what I'm expecting tomorrow night.

None of the teams in this league could hold a candle to the Fulham and Rovers teams of our last promotion season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

Barnsley are ideally setup to beat us. 343 pressing, hard working, good on the break. Everything we have really struggled against this season. Preston are a case in point - battered them when they were 4231 but got absolutely taken to the cleaners when they switched to 343 last game.

343 is so effective against us as we play quite narrow up top and the middle and we get crowded out, and the full backs who we utterly rely on to supply our width get overloaded by the wing backs and forwards of the oppositions 343.

I think Tony on the whole has done well, if not spectacularly, with Rovers. But this sort of situation really frustrates me where it has been obvious since October that we have a very significant issue when playing against 343 but we haven't done anything about it. We should have a plan b (ie. probably switch to 343 or 3412 ourselves) but we don't. Tony seems vaguely aware there is a problem - but then also says "I don't do formations". Hmmm.

Expecting us to get done 2-0.

If I chose the team it would be 

Kaminski 

H-B.   Lenihan.   Branthwaite

Nyambe  Travis.  Rothwell     Douglas 

Elliott.   Dack.   Armstrong

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Kaminski

Nyambe      Lenihan      Bellis

Elliott            Travis              Davenport            Downing

Dack

Gallagher         Armstrong

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Kaminski

Nyambe      Lenihan      Bellis

Elliott            Travis              Davenport            Downing

Dack

Gallagher         Armstrong

A bit more aggressive. If they've got quality down their left I don't think Elliott would be tracking back much... Similarly Downing hasn't got the engine to get up and down any more.

We'd have to be pretty comfortable we could stay on top in the game to be secure in that formation imo.

On the plus side I would like to see Gallagher and Armstrong as a proper partnership. It's mad they've been at the club 18 months together and we haven't played a proper front two once.

He's only really played 3 at the back on a few occasions. I remember Barnet at home in the Cup when we went behind and he had to change to a back 4 at half time. It might work though now especially as JRC and Douglas could be quite suited to it. Last time he tried it I think he had Williams at LWB🤣 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan B'thwaite

JRC    Travis  Davenport   Douglas 

Dack     Elliott

Armstrong

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

who the replacement for Rankin Costello? Nyambe can't play wing back role. 

My point was if Rankin Costello and Wharton were fit they would both be starting for me. 

Playing Wharton on the left of back 3 gives the back a balance which doesn't happen when a right footed played there

JRC cannot play wing-back at this level. So the answer is : Don't play with wing backs. Play with fullbacks and wingers, but just use players who play those positions.

8 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He's only really played 3 at the back on a few occasions. I remember Barnet at home in the Cup when we went behind and he had to change to a back 4 at half time. It might work though now especially as JRC and Douglas could be quite suited to it. Last time he tried it I think he had Williams at LWB🤣 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan B'thwaite

Dack     Elliott

Armstrong

Has JRC made a miraculous recovery ?

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

JRC cannot play wing-back at this level. So the answer is : Don't play with wing backs. Play with fullbacks and wingers, but just use players who play those positions.

Why do you say that? JRC look like he will be a very good wing back imo. Great engine, good delivery, can tackle a bit.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan B'thwaite

Dack     Elliott

Armstrong

Yes it's strange - he used to play 3 at the back a lot at his previous clubs, but is avoiding it at the moment like the plague despite it seemingly being needed in certain games.

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Why do you say that? JRC look like he will be a very good wing back imo. Great engine, good delivery, can tackle a bit.

1 minute ago, joey_big_nose said:

Good delivery I would expect from any pro footballer, I like the good engine, but would prefer can tackle a lot, as wing back is not just about the attacking side of the game. JRC is not defensively good enough to play wing back at Championship level in my opinion.

• Like 1