BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers, Wed 17th Feb

In the managers words Nyambe was dropped for 'no reason'. I really didn't want to start go dislike Mowbray but this nonsense is making it difficult not to.

If you are of an angry to Mowbray disposition please don't read this.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19100064.no-reason---mowbray-nyambe-exclusion-barnsley/

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In the managers words Nyambe was dropped for 'no reason'. I really didn't want to start go dislike Mowbray but this nonsense is making it difficult not to.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19100064.no-reason---mowbray-nyambe-exclusion-barnsley/

He even lies here.

The reason Nyambe was sacrificed is because he has to play the 3 children.

Mowbray's standing with Pep, Klopp and Carlo and the glory this gives him in Pune is much more important to Mowbray than how little backwater Rovers do on the field.

I would not piss on Mowbray if he was on fire

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, renrag said:

I just could not believe that comment when I first read it this morning. Even the most simple or basic decisions, are made for a reason. It was probably the most nonsensical thing I have ever heard  spouted by a football manager.

No attempt to protect his own player. It wouldn’t have been difficult.

It would have been the decent thing to do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

I agree with a lot of what you have posted post-match Chaddy although I am going to go off topic and pick you up on this.

If Armstrong's girlfriend has her profile set to public and is happy to comment  to the general public on her husbands footballing performance, then I'm pretty sure it's "appropriate" for that comment to be repeated on a football message board.

Firstly, Thanks for the first comment. 

I guess I just not comfortable with people posting football's girlfriends comments on here. But we have to agree to disagree on this if we could please

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher was appalling as always. First touch of a donkey and repeatedly lost the ball. Very much a teachers pet with the manager.

Views on dropping Nyambe from the squad?

We have to disagree on Gallagher. 

Nyambe isn't a wing back so cant play that role. Maybe could be on the bench I guess

7 hours ago, Carbz said:

No you’ve either not seen or chosen to ignore my previous posts where I say things like I understand your viewpoint etc. So we’ve lost 3 in a row and are playing like crap. Yeah that is relegation form but we could hit good form again in the next game. Things can change quickly in football. I’m being optimistic but I want want to give him the the end of the season. If we are not in the top 6 at the end of the season I’m completely on board with a managerial change.

When was the last time we were in good form?  Our unbeaten run in January wasn’t form, it was luck. 

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why not? He's our best defender and he has improved no end going forward. One of you big complaints about him last season was his lack of assists he has more than put that right this season.

Nyambe has got 3 assists this season from 24 games. thats it. Hardly a massive improve to be honest. 

I'm not going into this Nyambe debate again

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe has got 3 assists this season from 24 games. thats it. Hardly a massive improve to be honest. 

Yet it's more than 5 of the 6 right back's who yesterday you named as better than Nyambe. In fact only 2 right backs in the entire Championship have more assists than Nyambe.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

The thing on Nyambe is we have no alternative who is potentially as good, and not picking him last night meant that we were exposed down the right side of our defence. Most of their breaks, including the two excellent blocks that Lenihen put in, came from that area of the pitch.

I saw the logic in bringing the two loanee defenders in as a quick fix as we were short of numbers at the back, but to force one of our own players out of the squad to play an unproven loanee seemed odd, and his performance showed it up as odd.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m with Tyrone, warning signs were there in promotion season when in the majority we played poorly bar doing enough in short spells to win games. Great chance to get a brand of style with the team and used it to play loan folk out of position. Baffling really

Then the first thing he says at the start of the new season is - " Let's give the lads who got us up a chance first ". The bloke's a crack pot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

He was dropped because good old Tone wanted to find a formation to play the City kid, Bennett and still accommodate Gallagher.  I think it's as simple as that and Ryan going missing for the first goal v Nobbers provided him with a starting point.

Otherwise he'd have started then been hawked off at some point whatever the score. He was throwing him under the bus -again- the other night but he wasn't even man enough to back that up after Barnsley.

'No reason' he says, yeah alright. I can cast iron guarantee if we'd won he'd have been using that as one of the reasons to justify it, no doubts whatsoever.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He was dropped because good old Tone wanted to find a formation to play the City kid, Bennett and still accommodate Gallagher.  I think it's as simple as that and Ryan going missing for the first goal v Nobbers provided him with a starting point.

Otherwise he'd have started then been hawked off at some point whatever the score. He was throwing him under the bus -again- the other night but he wasn't even man enough to back that up after Barnsley.

'No reason' he says, yeah alright. I can cast iron guarantee if we'd won he'd have been using that as one of the reasons to justify it, no doubts whatsoever.

Nyambe isn’t good enough. I look at Fankaty Dabo and he is everything. Nyambe should be.

That said he’s the only in and out RB. Playing CBS at RB is what Pulis does 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I guess I just not comfortable with people posting football's girlfriends comments on here. But we have to agree to disagree on this if we could please

Nyambe isn't a wing back so cant play that role. Maybe could be on the bench I guess

Well the lad from City proved last night that he was hopeless as a wing-back and had a part in both of Barnsley's goals.  I somehow doubt that Mowbray will publicly have a go at him.  Same with the centre-half who looks increasingly out of his depth in terms of decision making at this level.

• Like 4

It was abundantly clear by 60 minutes last night that Bennett was knackered and to be fair to him who can blame him? First start in months, long term injury, playing RWB on a stodgy wet pitch.

We had a full 10-15 minutes of alarm bells and warning signs over that far side as Bennett tired and Barnsley began to have more and more of the ball over there, four or five times they targeted that area and broke through, nearly scoring as a result.

A blind man could see what was coming.

We persist and make no changes and hey presto we go 1-0 down with the goal coming through that area of the pitch. 

I wonder to myself if Mowbray and his staff are oblivious to these warning signs or if he's so stubborn or entrenched in making a point to people that he sticks with it rather than take preventative action.

Even if you don't start Nyambe I really can't think of anyone better to bring on for 20 minutes to replace knackered Benno in that position.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Few questions on that then:

1) Did we have to play that formation? It didnt work, so id suggest not, but we did to please Pep and Ancelotti.

2) Even if we did, can Bennett play as a wing back? Clearly not, he is not capable at this level full stop. Before you reference his time playing there briefly at Bristol City, we have no idea if that was successful. Indeed as another manager, would you sign Dack/Elliott as false 9's, Gallagher as a winger, Bennett and Rankin Costello as left backs, Smallwood as a keeper, I could go on, on accounts that they "have played there before?" Nonsense argument without citing success or otherwise. Nyambe played as a wing back when Mowbray took over and was fine there.

3) Even if we assume that 3 at the back was correct with Bennett on the right. We had no sub centre backs or wing backs, meaning that we was an injury to any of 4 players away from having to totally change shape. Nyambe can play in any of those roles. Its not maybe or guesswork to suggest that if he didnt start, he would warrant a place on a 9 man bench, over Bell, over Buckley etc, its obvious.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It was abundantly clear by 60 minutes last night that Bennett was knackered and to be fair to him who can blame him? First start in months, long term injury, playing RWB on a stodgy wet pitch.

We had a full 10-15 minutes of alarm bells and warning signs over that far side as Bennett tired and Barnsley began to have more and more of the ball over there, four or five times they targeted that area and broke through, nearly scoring as a result.

A blind man could see what was coming.

We persist and make no changes and hey presto we go 1-0 down with the goal coming through that area of the pitch. 

I wonder to myself if Mowbray and his staff are oblivious to these warning signs or if he's so stubborn or entrenched in making a point to people that he sticks with it rather than take preventative action.

Even if you don't start Nyambe I really can't think of anyone better to bring on for 20 minutes to replace knackered Benno in that position.

Absolutely spot on, and almost a sackable offence in itself, it is that basic.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Why are you looking forward to it? We may well lose and all be a little more frustrated and angry yet Mowbray will remain in charge. What is exciting about that?

Gallagher was appalling as always. First touch of a donkey and repeatedly lost the ball. Very much a teachers pet with the manager.

Views on dropping Nyambe from the squad?

Why would he come here?

Why would the Barnsley manager come here? Well I would say it's a better and more high profile job than the Barnsley one, with better players and a bigger budget at your disposal. 

• Like 1

Quotes from Mowbray below. Stomach churning. I also see he just chose not to include Nyambe in the squad. I thought people were exaggerating when they said Mowbray was treating him unfairly, now, after last night, I would have to agree that he is. Why would a young lad from city, who is on loan, get the nod ahead of Nyambe? Why would Bennett get the nod in the first place? Stupid Mowbray. Anyway, here are the quotes 

I think you try and nullify Barnsley’s strengths and that’s why you get a game like you did, not a lot of quality, not a lot of football, but two teams trying to do to each other what the other wants to do to them

There you have it folks, his first inclination was to "nullify Barnsley" Ugh, I think I just got a bit sick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

The thing on Nyambe is we have no alternative who is potentially as good, and not picking him last night meant that we were exposed down the right side of our defence. Most of their breaks, including the two excellent blocks that Lenihen put in, came from that area of the pitch.

I saw the logic in bringing the two loanee defenders in as a quick fix as we were short of numbers at the back, but to force one of our own players out of the squad to play an unproven loanee seemed odd, and his performance showed it up as odd.

Again though it just highlights Mowbrays lack of grip on it tactics wise.

When Nyambie plays he wants him pushing / bombing forwards with no real cover. Every game the oppo target the space he leaves behind. Every now and then it results in being caught out and conceding a goal.

So Tony's answer is ?   Well it was there last night in glorious colour.

He seems more bothered about what his full backs can do up the pitch that in their own position.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Well the lad from City proved last night that he was hopeless as a wing-back and had a part in both of Barnsley's goals.  I somehow doubt that Mowbray will publicly have a go at him.  Same with the centre-half who looks increasingly out of his depth in terms of decision making at this level.

Harwood-Bellis played the right centre back role in back 3 for much of the game with Lenihan and Branthwaite with Bennett as right wing back and Douglas as left wing back. Harwood-Bellis move to right back when Dolan came on Bennett and we went 4-4-2

1) Did we have to play that formation? It didnt work, so id suggest not, but we did to please Pep and Ancelotti.

I don't see the problem in changing formation last formation in a bid to change our bad run around. Plus getting Gallagher up front in a front 2 was good to see and him playing with Armstrong something I would keep against Forest. 

And how do you know we did it to suit Pep and Ancelotti? Inside info?

2) Even if we did, can Bennett play as a wing back?

For me, Bennett did ok in that role so say it was his first start since his injury

Nyambe played as a wing back when Mowbray took over and was fine there.

in which games has he played wing back role and what was the results in those games?

3) Even if we assume that 3 at the back was correct with Bennett on the right. We had no sub centre backs or wing backs, meaning that we was an injury to any of 4 players away from having to totally change shape.

well we did change shape when Dolan can on for Bennett we went flat back 4 and Dolan and Rothwell wide. With Evans and Elliott in the middle with 2 up front still

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Harwood-Bellis played the right centre back role in back 3 for much of the game with Lenihan and Branthwaite with Bennett as right wing back and Douglas as left wing back. Harwood-Bellis move to right back when Dolan came on Bennett and we went 4-4-2

I don't see the problem in changing formation last formation in a bid to change our bad run around. Plus getting Gallagher up front in a front 2 was good to see and him playing with Armstrong something I would keep against Forest. 

And how do you know we did it to suit Pep and Ancelotti? Inside info?

For me, Bennett did ok in that role so say it was his first start since his injury

in which games has he played wing back role and what was the results in those games?

well we did change shape when Dolan can on for Bennett we went flat back 4 and Dolan and Rothwell wide. With Evans and Elliott in the middle with 2 up front still

I am sure that at the end of the season when Mowbray failed to save us from relegation, that we got a few wins near the end of the season with Lenihan, Elliot Ward and Mulgrew as a back 3 and Nyambe and Williams at wing back, including against Brentford and Villa.

Bennett was a weakness as he always is, although to be fair not giving away a penalty is an improvement for him.

The problem as ever is that Mowbray's formation was reactive, done out of fear to attempt to stifle a fellow mid table team, and again carried on the inconsistency to which Mowbray's tactics constantly show, hence the lack of clarity and familiarity on the pitch. If I had to guess, it will change again on Saturday. 

Also regarding the central midfield, that was for about 10 minutes, and I heard Mowbray say to Corry Evans that he "is on his own." Elliott is not a central midfielder and him ending there always leads to a total lack of structure. Nothing constructive will come from one sole central midfielder who has been out for months.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The problem as ever is that Mowbray's formation was reactive, done out of fear to attempt to stifle a fellow mid table team, and again carried on the inconsistency to which Mowbray's tactics constantly show, hence the lack of clarity and familiarity on the pitch. If I had to guess, it will change again on Saturday. 

Forest have been playing 4-2-3-1 so expect us to mirror that with Harwood bellis appearing as a right back