BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Barnsley v Rovers, Wed 17th Feb

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The bottom line is that he was poor.  Caught badly out of position on the second and stood off and allowed the player to shoot for the first.  Neither Harwood-Bellis nor Branthwaite look convincing at this level at the moment.  We are allowing them to learn their trade to improve City and Everton - although one can't see either one making much impact at those clubs. 

Having supported this club for 60 years I'm appalled that we seem happy to be a nursery club for the big city clubs.  Meanwhile players who we have invested time and effort in to develop - like Raya, like Nyambe - are allowed to drift away for next to nothing.  Last season we helped develop Tosin so City could sell him whilst we were left with another gap in the centre of defence.  But for injuries I'm sure that Wharton wouldn't have got a look in this season and would have been allowed to leave.  Fortunately, injuries gave him the opportunity to prove his worth before, sadly, his own injury.

It seems to me that when the manager talks about youth development he's taking about developing the youth of clubs other than Blackburn Rovers.  I find Mowbray's treatment of both Raya and Nyambe appalling and for the first time in more years than I care to remember I really can't see me wanting to renew my season ticket this summer to watch us because a Premier League nursery outfit.

Blimey. Coming from you that's seriously damning.

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am sure that at the end of the season when Mowbray failed to save us from relegation, that we got a few wins near the end of the season with Lenihan, Elliot Ward and Mulgrew as a back 3 and Nyambe and Williams at wing back, including against Brentford and Villa.

Bennett was a weakness as he always is, although to be fair not giving away a penalty is an improvement for him.

The problem as ever is that Mowbray's formation was reactive, done out of fear to attempt to stifle a fellow mid table team, and again carried on the inconsistency to which Mowbray's tactics constantly show, hence the lack of clarity and familiarity on the pitch. If I had to guess, it will change again on Saturday. 

Also regarding the central midfield, that was for about 10 minutes, and I heard Mowbray say to Corry Evans that he "is on his own." Elliott is not a central midfielder and him ending there always leads to a total lack of structure. Nothing constructive will come from one sole central midfielder who has been out for months.

It's like that more often than not now. Players thrown on ,not knowing their position or roles. It's glaringly obvious that Mowbray doesnt have a method of playing to get the best from Dack coming back and is too downright stubborn to revert to a way of paying that suits Dack, mostly because he failed to replace the player who got the best out of Dack. 

All Mowbrays worst behaviours are indicative of a man who knows he is under no pressure. That's the sad reality. I'm not going to say he's as bad as Kean, that's incorrect, but I fear we may end up having a bad summer and early next next season if he stays. Now is the time for the change. Thanks Tony, he can hold his head high. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

45 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The bottom line is that he was poor.  Caught badly out of position on the second and stood off and allowed the player to shoot for the first.  Neither Harwood-Bellis nor Branthwaite look convincing at this level at the moment.  We are allowing them to learn their trade to improve City and Everton - although one can't see either one making much impact at those clubs. 

Having supported this club for 60 years I'm appalled that we seem happy to be a nursery club for the big city clubs.  Meanwhile players who we have invested time and effort in to develop - like Raya, like Nyambe - are allowed to drift away for next to nothing.  Last season we helped develop Tosin so City could sell him whilst we were left with another gap in the centre of defence.  But for injuries I'm sure that Wharton wouldn't have got a look in this season and would have been allowed to leave.  Fortunately, injuries gave him the opportunity to prove his worth before, sadly, his own injury.

It seems to me that when the manager talks about youth development he's taking about developing the youth of clubs other than Blackburn Rovers.  I find Mowbray's treatment of both Raya and Nyambe appalling and for the first time in more years than I care to remember I really can't see me wanting to renew my season ticket this summer to watch us because a Premier League nursery outfit.

Yes both were poor but with them being young they will be poor in some games. Branthwaite look good in first few games. 

I cant agree with Raya comments. We were right to sell him in my opinion. 

I really hope you renew your season ticket next year and we are allow to attend games properly. After all your years of supporting and attending games the club would be worst off without you being there. 

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am sure that at the end of the season when Mowbray failed to save us from relegation, that we got a few wins near the end of the season with Lenihan, Elliot Ward and Mulgrew as a back 3 and Nyambe and Williams at wing back, including against Brentford and Villa.

So almost 3 and half to 4 years ago? 

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Elliott is not a central midfielder

Well he got the assist from that position with another through ball for Armstrong

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If I had to guess, it will change again on Saturday. 

Who knows. 

I hope he keeps the 2 up front with Elliott behind them. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I really hope you renew your season ticket next year and we are allow to attend games properly. After all your years of supporting and attending games the club would be worst off without you being there. 

Why don't you ever address anybody's post.?

Parson has frustrated me for a couple of years with his support for Mowbray, but now he seems to have run out of patience and I respect that about him.....you on the other hand, just say the same no matter what happens, no acknowledgement or anything.   Oh to live in chaddyworld....

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Carbz said:

Yeah on first sight I can see why you think that. I just think for what he has done for the club in terms of turning it around when we could have been in freefall, I think he deserves the finish the season with the squad he’s accumulated. Also, although it might be a slim chance, keeping him until the seasons end is probably the best chance we have at reaching top 6. If we don’t make top 6 again then I would say “ok thanks for all you’ve done for our club but you’ve taken thus club as far as it can go at your helm.”

When people realise it’s what’s best for Blackburn Rovers and nothing else. He got the praise he deserved for his “stability” and runners up place in league one. He’s been well paid and enhanced his reputation. He is owed nothing more than a thankyou and good luck. Maybe a whip round for a big suitcase for his flag to take with him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

So almost 3 and half to 4 years ago? 

Well he got the assist from that position with another through ball for Armstrong

Who knows. 

I hope he keeps the 2 up front with Elliott behind them. 

My point was that one of your initial arguments about playing Bennett at right wing back was that he played there for Bristol City. Not only did that not provide any evidence as to whether that was an experiment that was successful, it was even longer ago!

I dont see why we are changing formation totally (with little time to train on it) solely to try and fail to cancel out the mighty Barnsley. But right back, right wing back, take your pick, Nyambe is a lot better than Bennett.

You are right that Branthwaite and Harwood Bellis may well be inconsistent. Hence the criticism that we have 2 untested kids on loan deals in the first place!

Yes he did because he is a talented player, but not before we conceded again with Barnsley breaking through our non existent midfield to score and put the game to bed.

Hopefully Gallagher wont be anywhere near the team on Saturday but I suspect he is due a spell either in goal or at left wing back.

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's like that more often than not now. Players thrown on ,not knowing their position or roles. It's glaringly obvious that Mowbray doesnt have a method of playing to get the best from Dack coming back and is too downright stubborn to revert to a way of paying that suits Dack, mostly because he failed to replace the player who got the best out of Dack. 

All Mowbrays worst behaviours are indicative of a man who knows he is under no pressure. That's the sad reality. I'm not going to say he's as bad as Kean, that's incorrect, but I fear we may end up having a bad summer and early next next season if he stays. Now is the time for the change. Thanks Tony, he can hold his head high. 

Im not sure that pressure has anything to do with it. He has always had a tendency to over think and over compensate. I recall back in League 1, bigging up Burys left back, and playing Bell in front of Williams at home to Oldham to nullify their right back. At that time however, we was winning games most weeks and the style was consistent, so those temptations remained at bay.

What has happened is that this season, seemingly he has tried to take us onto the next level with a style of football which has not got the results he felt it would. That has just led to confusion, inconsistency and further frustration, false 9s, box midfielders, players out of position etc.

With Dack, I dont necessarily subscribe to the idea that he needs a target man to play off in order to thrive. There has to be a way of playing Armstrong and Dack in the same side centrally and effectively. That wont happen though with Mowbrays inconsistent selections, putting him in and out, constantly changing formations, players out of position out wide etc.

Im not even convinced that it will get toxic any time soon, all of the criticism due to the way the world is comes on here and social media, a world Mowbray is totally shielded from. With no sign of fans attending soon, which even then would at most lead to moans and groans, he is well protected.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

and playing Bell in front of Williams at home to Oldham to nullify their right bac

Odd mentality isnt it playing two left backs to nullify a right back. The positive option would be to have a winger pining the RB back or exploiting the space in behind when he does push on but good old tony lumps for two defenders instead. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Can't argue with this.

Didn't mind so much with Tosin or Elliott - if they are good enough then both parties benefit. Sure they may not be the preferred long term options (I keep saying Bauer would have been more beneficial than Tosin long term) but if they improve us and provide the missing pieces then that's still ok as long as not overly reliant on them. One issue is our defence is always too reliant on loans, but that's another debate. 

The likes of Walton and the two defenders however have been a one way benefit and not in Rovers favour. We get all their inexperience and mistakes and zero benefit. What's frustrating is so many of our loans have been poor. Thinking back Palmer and Harper were also crap. We don't have a great return from these at all. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Well the lad from City proved last night that he was hopeless as a wing-back and had a part in both of Barnsley's goals.  I somehow doubt that Mowbray will publicly have a go at him.  Same with the centre-half who looks increasingly out of his depth in terms of decision making at this level.

It's no surprise though, they have obvious qualities but are raw inexperienced lads playing the mans game now. It's all to be expected and puffing out the squad with these types is a fair enough argument.

Quite how they can expect them to anchor an already fragile defense to mount a top 6 challenge though is fanciful at best. So therefore the question is what really are the ambitions and who is pulling the strings on these signings.

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Did he? His second game at Boro he should have been sent of and given a penalty away, at QPR his poor clearance led to their goal and then last night and against Preston he had nightmares.

He looked good against Stoke,Boro and Luton. he shouldnt have been sent off against Boro for me as I said at the time. 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont see why we are changing formation totally (with little time to train on it) solely to try and fail to cancel out the mighty Barnsley. But right back, right wing back, take your pick, Nyambe is a lot better than Bennett.

Hopefully Gallagher wont be anywhere near the team on Saturday but I suspect he is due a spell either in goal or at left wing back.

How do you we had little time to train on it? 

We could have been training with that formation for a couple.of weeks. Unless you are spying on the training ground daily you dont know.. 

Hopefully we be playing in up front with Armstrong in front 2. 

We were still exposed down the flanks playing like that and in turn we offer very little from wide areas in attack.

I'm not sure it's the answer and one or two players, Dack in particular didn't look happy with it.

Edited by tomphil

Gallagher is not playing Armstrong in. This isn't a new problem. This time around most of the team is on Armstrong's side and tend not to pass to Gallagher. This a results in the runs Gallagher makes look like he's a headless chicken running all over the pitch. he doesn't hold the ball up. This is a teachable skill, but we let Graham go.

Brereton's another of the returning wounded. So he'd have to be subbed, like Travis and Dack. A 3-4-1-2 would look like:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Douglas

Dolan Travis Downing(c) Elliott

Dack

Armstrong Brereton

Since Branthwaite and THB have to play -  that's 2 of the back 3 subbed (not recommended, so thanks Mowbray - not) and that's the 5 subs. Hope no-one else gets injured. Davenport/Buckley for Travis; Rothwell for Dack and Gallagher for Brereton.

Two players going for the same ball usually means they've both been coached to play the same position. The alternative is that the opposition have put the ball where two zones meet pulling both players towards the ball. I'd rather Lenihan concentrated on his defensive duties and shepherding the two loanees, when they're on the pitch (when they are, Lenihan doesn't have time to be captain, as well)

Mowbray does do formations. A team lining up in a shapeless mass is in a formation, though it confuses our players more than the opposition.

Do we have a game this weekend? No real mention of Forest away. Are people just as disinterested and apathetic as I am while the two muppets are in charge? And sorry that's a disservice to the Muppets 

Edited by tina
  • Like 1

Kaminski

Nyambe, Lenihan, Branthwaite, Douglas

Travis, Trybull/Johnson

Eliott, Dack, Brereton

Armstrong

Dolan to come on for the last 30 mins to terror the defences...

Nyambe and Douglas supporting the two central midfelders. Dack in a free role behind Armstrong. Brereton and Eliott bombing around too.

This is how you play to win football matches. Can you see this Mowbray?

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1