Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

A plea to Venkys & Raos on behalf of Old Blackburnians & Associated Partners, QEGS (1977-80), 'The Invincibles'!


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, tina said:

It was. My dad played on the right wing. Ronnie Farnworth. Used to brag about all the goals he got but was in awe about Tommy. His lads never made it but I did get a cup or two in the US at a late age. Cheers

 

Was that Ronnie, formerly of Marsh House Chippy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Was that Ronnie, formerly of Marsh House Chippy?

That was Ronnie Tattersall. I remember playing against him when he played for CWC Engineering in the Darwen Amateur League. Last I heard he was living in the Lake District.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm afraid any attempt at communicating with our owners will be futile. It just will not reach them. They are stuck in their ivory tower.

I hope and pray that they will, at some stage, realise that a football club cannot exist without supporters and that owners need to have a two-way communication with the supporters. Only then will we be able to present our views.

How many years now? The wait goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

That was Ronnie Tattersall. I remember playing against him when he played for CWC Engineering in the Darwen Amateur League. Last I heard he was living in the Lake District.

He still is Tony, and is keeping well apparently 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/02/2021 at 18:56, Miller11 said:

Great post!!

I’ve just been revisiting these... a big part of my formative years these books

5BACAC8F-83DD-42CF-BF49-6F30F0CFFC52.jpeg

I've only got three of those. When I went into Seed and Gabbutts to get the fourth I was told 'Harry's photocopier has broken down'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an update really:

When I posted this as an initiative, little did we know the 'curve ball' that we were to face, just the following day!

As a group, we have considered the disclosures, have really girded up our collective loins and are really going to fight to protect what is all of our heritage.

I have been in contact with a number of BRFCS members and promised to be back in touch earlier this week. I apologise that I haven't done so as yet but there are only so many hours in a day.

I call on all Rovers supporters worldwide to oppose the suggestions of 'The Coventry 3' but at the same time have empathy for Venkys, who we all firmly believe do have Rovers best interests at heart.

Collectively, we can overcome this but we need to be united as one.

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, darrenrover said:

 

I call on all Rovers supporters worldwide to oppose the suggestions of 'The Coventry 3' but at the same time have empathy for Venkys, who we all firmly believe do have Rovers best interests at heart.

 

Hmmmm....not convinced there darrenrover.They aquired Rovers to use as a vehicle to set up and promote their Chicken business in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Hmmmm....not convinced there darrenrover.They aquired Rovers to use as a vehicle to set up and promote their Chicken business in the UK.

I'm not gonna call you out Garns but you're wrong. Please can we leave it there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Just an update really:

When I posted this as an initiative, little did we know the 'curve ball' that we were to face, just the following day!

As a group, we have considered the disclosures, have really girded up our collective loins and are really going to fight to protect what is all of our heritage.

I have been in contact with a number of BRFCS members and promised to be back in touch earlier this week. I apologise that I haven't done so as yet but there are only so many hours in a day.

I call on all Rovers supporters worldwide to oppose the suggestions of 'The Coventry 3' but at the same time have empathy for Venkys, who we all firmly believe do have Rovers best interests at heart.

Collectively, we can overcome this but we need to be united as one.

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

Hey mate, there's a very very easy way to get in contact with the Venkys, not sure if I can elaborate as don't want to break GDPR but I will look it up and see what I can explain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 21:33, RevidgeBlue said:

Great Post, didn't realise you were a fellow QEGS (very) old boy!. Sounds like you're about 3 years older than me and I left in 1982 so we probably would have been there at the same time.

My best friend also went to QEGS and  now lives in London and has been a financial controller for a big Company. His Dad was Indian and many years ago when we were pissed as farts we came up with the bright idea of having a holiday in India and pitching up on the V's doorstep to offer advice.

Needless to say once the hangovers kicked in the hare brained scheme was never mentioned again but yours is a sound idea. If you want any support or help just ask.

Claret in peace as ever ... I left QEGS in 1982, last year of the " Direct Grant " in-take, otherwise I'd never have gone there ...

Didn't need to be Poirot to work out who Herbie6590 was but intrigued by you .... were you Tim Rayner, John Aspin, Dave Skidmore's year ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/03/2021 at 06:47, darrenrover said:

at the same time have empathy for Venkys, who we all firmly believe do have Rovers best interests at heart.

Lost me right there I'm afraid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember QEGS wouldn't play other Blackburn schools during this period.  (It also meant that the Town's finest missed playing alongside me for the town team.)

They did agree agree to play our sixth form where we gave them the runaround on their lovely Lammack pitches.

So not that invincible.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I remember QEGS wouldn't play other Blackburn schools during this period.  (It also meant that the Town's finest missed playing alongside me for the town team.)

They did agree agree to play our sixth form where we gave them the runaround on their lovely Lammack pitches.

So not that invincible.

 

Funny that, WE were unbeaten for 2 seasons (1978-80). Played Vale (9-0) and SMC, who were Lancashire Champions (5-0) from Blackburn....WE were different class pal and as I said, invincible!

!978-79  P21  W20  D1  L0  F113  A14

!979-80  P22  W18  D4  L0  F80  A17

Edited by darrenrover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Well my Alma mater ‘up Shad’ produced two Rovers first teamers in my time there (still going are PG and MD) 
 

So do I win school football top trumps?

💁‍♂️
 

Duxbury went to SMC, didn't he?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Claret in peace as ever ... I left QEGS in 1982, last year of the " Direct Grant " in-take, otherwise I'd never have gone there ...

Didn't need to be Poirot to work out who Herbie6590 was but intrigued by you .... were you Tim Rayner, John Aspin, Dave Skidmore's year ?

I left (6th form) in 1982 as well and remember Dave Skidmore quite well, same year I think. The other names ring a bell too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/03/2021 at 19:47, darrenrover said:

I call on all Rovers supporters worldwide to oppose the suggestions of 'The Coventry 3' but at the same time have empathy for Venkys, who we all firmly believe do have Rovers best interests at heart.

Do you and your group of friends really believe this ?

If Venky's had Rovers' best interests at heart they would also think about the fans and community.

If they considered the Brockhall plans for 5 minutes they could ask:

Will this please the fans ?

Does this fit in with our promise about Jack's legacy?

Will the benefits be worth the upheaval, time and effort ? Will there be any real benefits ?

Will there be any benefit for outside ( or inside ? ) parties other than Blackburn Rovers ?

It's because Venky's have no interest in the club that Waggott and Co have the opportunity to even think about selling off the crown jewels.

What most fans feel for Venky's is the opposite of empathy because if we were in their shoes we really would do what was right for the club above all else - they don't.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I left (6th form) in 1982 as well and remember Dave Skidmore quite well, same year I think. The other names ring a bell too.

TJ " Prod " Longstaff passed away last year at 98, there was a 300+ post thread on " Up the Clarets " with reminiscences, stories etc from ex-QEGS of our vintage. Regrettably, the mods removed it, I think because of references to a couple of " Fred Talbot " like cases ... you'd have enjoyed it. I'm Chris Rawson, moderate scholar ( by QEGS standards of the time ), but enjoyed the Rugby .... Still in touch with Alastair Newman, Paul " Eggy " Heathcote, Nigel Atherton, Roger Verlander & one or two others .. Hope you're keeping well ...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Funny that, WE were unbeaten for 2 seasons (1978-80). Played Vale (9-0) and SMC, who were Lancashire Champions (5-0) from Blackburn....WE were different class pal and as I said, invincible!

!978-79  P21  W20  D1  L0  F113  A14

!979-80  P22  W18  D4  L0  F80  A17

David Bruton and Craig Mann ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

TJ " Prod " Longstaff passed away last year at 98, there was a 300+ post thread on " Up the Clarets " with reminiscences, stories etc from ex-QEGS of our vintage. Regrettably, the mods removed it, I think because of references to a couple of " Fred Talbot " like cases ... you'd have enjoyed it. I'm Chris Rawson, moderate scholar ( by QEGS standards of the time ), but enjoyed the Rugby .... Still in touch with Alastair Newman, Paul " Eggy " Heathcote, Nigel Atherton, Roger Verlander & one or two others .. Hope you're keeping well ...  

Oh, hi Chris, I would never have known it was you if you hadn't have said.

Simon Leigh in case you hadn't noticed from the Brockhall thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Prod" said "I was knocking on the door of the school choir" in a singing test. Fortunately I was never called up. Imagine having to sing instead of play footy at lunch times? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

TJ " Prod " Longstaff passed away last year at 98, there was a 300+ post thread on " Up the Clarets " with reminiscences, stories etc from ex-QEGS of our vintage. Regrettably, the mods removed it, I think because of references to a couple of " Fred Talbot " like cases ... you'd have enjoyed it. I'm Chris Rawson, moderate scholar ( by QEGS standards of the time ), but enjoyed the Rugby .... Still in touch with Alastair Newman, Paul " Eggy " Heathcote, Nigel Atherton, Roger Verlander & one or two others .. Hope you're keeping well ...  

3 of ‘your lot’ at the time were Ewan Pigeon, Mark Wilson and Robbie Walsh..,thing is they were all shit at playing football! Plus ça change! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

"Prod" said "I was knocking on the door of the school choir" in a singing test. Fortunately I was never called up. Imagine having to sing instead of play footy at lunch times? 

 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Oh, hi Chris, I would never have known it was you if you hadn't have said.

Simon Leigh in case you hadn't noticed from the Brockhall thread!

   B****y Hell, didn't pick up on that, " Revidge ", hope you're keeping safe and well ...

   I'm usually one for looking forwards in life, not back, but after a few pints of " Hen Harrier " at Blackburn Rugby Club, I was talked into arranging a reunion of the 1982-83 Colts ( Under 19's ) in 2017, so tracked down a few ex-QEGS. Greg Starks ( Mollington Road ) is the Executive Head Chef for Warner Leisure Group, and hasn't touched a fag/pint for over 25 years ( to the surprise of those who remember him ), John Aspin is a Primary School Head in Bacup, Tim Rayner is a retired Dentist. Charlotte Hindle is a TV Producer, most recently on " Songs of Praise ", and Paul Heathcote has a 2nd Career as a " Sparkie ", after having done nearly 25 years in the Royal Marines ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.