BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Watford Wed 24th Feb 19:45

17 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Who would have thought that after an entire year without being able to attend our beloved Rovers, I would feel so unattached, disinterested and numb at the thought of watching us again.

Cannot wait for this season to end, hopefully with a change of manager and not a change of League.

I usually bet on Rovers to lose - as i bet for what I don't want to happen - I really don't know if I'll be betting anymore under this regime.

It's only now - 1.00 pm on Thursday - that I feel strong enough to read through this thread.

I totally agree with your first paragraph, Pirate; you sum up exactly how I feel. The phrase I've used in conversations with friends to sum up how I feel these days about the club I've been following forever is "that I feel divorced from them."

I don't 'do' iFollow - far too technical for this old fogey! - and I must confess that, for the first time since probably the Jim Iley era, I completely forgot that we were playing last night.

I'm bemused by what's going on at Ewood and, behind the scenes, with regard to Brockhall. It feels like we're directionless at every level of the club; and, as for our owners, well, why can't they be as ruthless with Mowbray as they once were with BFS?

I remember, probably three years ago now, being taken in by the public image of Mowbray as a competent 'Mr. Nice-Guy'.

To my embarrassment, I recall comparing where we were at that time with where we were at the time of the first game I remember attending at Ewood in November 1953 and said something about both teams being where was appropriate for a club of our size in a town of our size: mid-table in Division Two/Championship.

How naïve of me, eh? With Mowbray bemusing all of us with his team selections - and those selections almost invariably and inevitably being less than the sum of their parts - we seem, at best, doomed to float around where we are at present.

And, put simply, it isn't good enough for us.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Are there 14 better squads?

The league table would suggest so. Results would say so. 

Do you think we have top 6 squad under a different manager?

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well Tony thought we had a good enough squad. If it isn't ,that's on Mowbray. Longest serving manager in the league, decent budget and no sales forced on him. Pitiful position we find ourselves in. 

That's what happens when you neglect the defence, unfortunately. 

We have all mention signing quality defenders for seasons now. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd have more sympathy regarding our  lack of regular centre backs if we hadn't have signed one who is extremely injury prone when we already have two who often go missing for various reasons. We were unlucky with Wharton and unlucky with Kipre who West Brom seem to have signed on a whim.

To be honest are the two loanees any bettter than Magloire ? He had Jamie Vardy under his thumb in that game against Leicester. I know it was only a friendly but the likes of Vardy don't know what it is to take it easy in a game. That's why he's where he is.

Mowbray had 5 windows to get in a good quality centre backs whoever they were. 

People mention Michael Hector(myself suggestion), other people mention players like Pinnock, Jansson, etc. 

The lack of a right back back up option is also a problem. 

On Maglorie, Maybe we should have played him instead of these 2 young kids. We could have sign one experience centre back and played him with Maglorie. 

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why would we do that? Odd suggestion for a replacement.

Yeah, I could get excited about any number of managers, but Sherwood has not managed in at least 5 years, and was a failure then. 

He’s another Rovers favorite son of bygone days; I’d hate to be shouting for his removal. 

• Like 1

I would prefer Keane to Sherwood. I like Sherwood, but I think he has an even quicker temper than Keane and could be more volatile. 

As I have said a few times though, I have a bad feeling about this. Here is how is see this play out 

A-nothing happens. He is still here next season

B-he gets sacked and they give it to Johnson, keeping the rest of the staff,minus Venus, obviously. Johnson does ok, but is given the job full time cos he's cheap and will work with the young lads 

C-Mowbray gets sacked and we make an appointment of intent for the first time in a about 13 years. 

So,ya..it's A or B really isn't it? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I thought we needed a new manager after the promotion relegation season

I knew we needed a new manager the day we signed him.you can't beat that 😀 to be honest i wasn't impressed when he came here but i was willing to let him change my mind,maybe sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The league table would suggest so. Results would say so. 

Do you think we have top 6 squad under a different manager?

A muddled manager that has lost the plot has nothing to do with it then? The league table isn’t just a pure reflection of each playing squad’s quality or else footballers may as well manage themselves.

Top 6? Probably not, due to his appalling recruitment in defence. But inadequacy of recruitment aside, this collection of players shouldn’t be getting to late February with the only target being 50 points either.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would prefer Keane to Sherwood. I like Sherwood, but I think he has an even quicker temper than Keane and could be more volatile. 

As I have said a few times though, I have a bad feeling about this. Here is how is see this play out 

B-he gets sacked and they give it to Johnson, keeping the rest of the staff,minus Venus, obviously. Johnson does ok, but is given the job full time cos he's cheap and will work with the young lads 

C-Mowbray gets sacked and we make an appointment of intent for the first time in a about 13 years. 

I'd say the last appointment of intent was Lambert, most were genuinely excited with him, and to be honest if he was given over 4 years, with the same backing and not having to sell anyone i'm pretty sure he would have done what Mowbray has. Probably would have avoided league one too.

I think out of your list its "A" or an even worse option "B" is that Venus just takes charge for a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A muddled manager that has lost the plot has nothing to do with it then? The league table isn’t just a pure reflection of each playing squad’s quality or else footballers may as well manage themselves.

Top 6? Probably not, due to his appalling recruitment in defence. But inadequacy of recruitment aside, this collection of players shouldn’t be getting to late February with the only target being 50 points either.

of course Manager plays a important part in results as well as the players. 

I agree defensive recruitment has cost us top 6. 

Think Andy Bayes was right when he said the squad isnt top 6 quality but its not 15th place. 

Mowbray has had more than enough time to build a season for top 6. Bringing the defenders we need as cost

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I'm not remotely interested in Keane either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'd say the last appointment of intent was Lambert, most were genuinely excited with him, and to be honest if he was given over 4 years, with the same backing and not having to sell anyone i'm pretty sure he would have done what Mowbray has. Probably would have avoided league one too.

I think out of your list its "A" or an even worse option "B" is that Venus just takes charge for a bit.

You mean like he avoided it with Ipswich? Lambert wasn't worth a shite and that's why he is in league 1 now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Agree

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Aside from the defence, and with the caveats that a) players are played in the right place and b) they aren't rushed back from injury, then yes it's probably a top 6 squad or just outside of it. Sure some of them are a bit limited but in the right system, under say McCarthy, playing to their strengths they should do well. On their day many of our players look good. The issue is their day isn't that often. A good manager could increase this. 

Imagine if Johnson upped his good performances from 1 in 4 and wasn't stuck at CB. Holtby on his day can be excellent. Gally has shown glimpses of being a good plan B on occasions through the middle (sadly glimpses only). Rothwell in the middle has looked more promising. If Travis and Dack weren't rushed back they are both good players. Armstrong and Elliott are doing well despite the mess. Lenihen with the right partner has looked good (the rest of the time he looks gash). Heck even a defence of Douglas, Lenihen, Warton, Nayambe - which we could have put out for a bit - doesn't look too bad. 

Problem is the players, the formations and the positions they play in all change regularly so it's no wonder there is no consistency. They are on easy street with TM, it's not a meritocracy for places, there's no pressure on any of them. It's no wonder they don't perform as well as they can in such circumstances. 

Put it this way - I'm certain that s better manager would get a lot more out of them and I don't think Bristol or Cardiff or Stoke or Boro's squads are any better than ours yet they are knocking on the doors of the playoffs. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Keane, as in virtually destroying Ipswich and turning us down after promising to join us in our boardroom. 

Horrible human and highly unsuccessful manager. He would last five minutes in Venkyland and thats too long. 

Trash talking punditry is about his level. Even there he is punching  above his weight.  NBC Sport does  a much better job covering Football over here.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Yeah it's a fair point, the last 5 were winnable. 

The lack of fight is a worry and I do think that will cause us trouble in games Vs the bottom. And it is something you see in relegation sides so I totally get and share your concern.

But the flip side is we do have quality and there is a lot of dross in this division. We have got points in games we have played badly in. So I don't think three wins is an unreasonable or even unlikely in 15 games, even with the handicap that we have. 

The lack of fight is what upsets me the most. Lack of skill I can forgive, lack of effort I can't.

• Like 4

Sherwood is a tool who got found out as inept when he actually had a chance at management. Theres a reason he's only had part time work as a pundit for the last 5 years. 

There are plenty of exciting young managers out there that any club with a proactive and organised board could begin shortlisting. 

Instead we'll muddle along with Melton until he decides to walk, then pick another journeyman out of the same agency pot.

If we go experienced  Someone like Pearson would at least bring some organisation to the club.

Edit...Briston City got in there with that one. out manouevred again

Edited by benhben
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Keane, as in virtually destroying Ipswich and turning us down after promising to join us in our boardroom. 

Horrible human and highly unsuccessful manager. He would last five minutes in Venkyland and thats too long. 

Trash talking punditry is about his level. Even there he is punching  above his weight.  NBC Sport does  a much better job covering Football over here.  

I don't think any of the first paragraph is true. 

We could do a lot worse. I'm not a huge fan of his punditry to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The lack of fight is what upsets me the most. Lack of skill I can forgive, lack of effort I can't.

thats the worrying part,if we get dragged into the relegation zone,there is no one in the squad barring travis(currently out of form) or lenihan who will dig in and battle for points,they`ll put up the white flag imo,frankly if you have to rely on two teenagers as your centre backs you will most likely end up in trouble,i don`t think iv`e ever seen such a shambolic managerial cock up as we have with this situation ever,we`ve sent two young defenders  on loan and brought two in who ar`nt any better,tony you are a major league ****whit

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think any of the first paragraph is true. 

We could do a lot worse. I'm not a huge fan of his punditry to be honest. 

Not particularly arsed about what he did at Ipswich, but it certainly is true that he went back on his word in joining us as a player. (Partially our own fault as we pissed about getting the transfer over the line and Fergie swooped).

18 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not particularly arsed about what he did at Ipswich, but it certainly is true that he went back on his word in joining us as a player. (Partially our own fault as we pissed about getting the transfer over the line and Fergie swooped).

I know that, but I don't think he agreed anything in a boardroom, as stated. 

Anyways, to be fair, as much as it's a "what if" scenario, his trophy haul would suggest he made the correct choice for himself personally.