BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Watford Wed 24th Feb 19:45

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

With all the shenanigans going on I forgot we had a match tonight.

This will be a difficult game for the 2 young centre backs that we have got in for bob-a-job week. Who is going to be the strong leader type to encourage them and set an example during the game. Benno maybe ?

Yes will be a difficult night.

This is where I hope Kaminski adds another string to his bow, by being able to organise and instruct the defenders infront of him. Good keepers can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

This is where I hope Kaminski adds another string to his bow, by being able to organise and instruct the defenders infront of him. Good keepers can.

Good luck getting kids to listen these days. Off to give an online session for my students 

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

It's the same as it's always been. It depends how much respect the kids have for the instructor.

Mine like me but nobody has turned up. Problem with teaching online to adults in college. Too many kids to look after. Thanks for the response though 

I didn’t bother paying a tenner to watch it on Saturday and I won’t be bothering to watch it for free on the red button tonight. I’m not watching another game till this manager is gone I can’t be arsed. Think a 5th straight defeat is incoming. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

I didn’t bother paying a tenner to watch it on Saturday and I won’t be bothering to watch it for free on the red button tonight. I’m not watching another game till this manager is gone I can’t be arsed. Think a 5th straight defeat is incoming. 

If it's on the red button I'll watch it just to pee off the girlfriend. I don't expect the team to try too much till we get a motivating manager. Btw I'm a bloke that lost his account

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Wovers said:

Have I missed something, why is everyone talking like, Mcbride will be playing? Cheers

edit - just seen that he’s been added to the squad.

He won’t start, just prepare yourself for Bennett on the right and Dolan on the bench. It’s easier that way....

• Like 3

Mowbray's exuces out already

'They have to have a slightly off day and we have to have a good day. And I think we could come away with some points '

So its not percentages today its about luck.  Imagine small teams in the fa Cup having this attitude against big teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The Ewood swamp might be a bit of a leveller tonight after a day of rain. 

Probably not as we are likely to try to play football on it still, judging by some past efforts. Whereas I imagine Watford will be more sensible about it and adapt.

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

'They have to have a slightly off day and we have to have a good day. And I think we could come away with some points '

So its not percentages today its about luck.  Imagine small teams in the fa Cup having this attitude against big teams. 

This isn't a real quote surely? It sounds like it could be but if so it's beyond horrific. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not sure anyone said to drop Armstrong for McBride? Although I think it is a big ask to chuck him straight in.

One thing I mentioned yesterday, do you not find it concerning that despite the fact that we are top(?) of the under 23 league, that none of that team seem anything close to pushing the first team?

Seen two suggestions on this thread.

On your question, I think there's some understanding to be had about our current PL2 crop. Most of the side is made up of very young players. Unlike our promotion side of 2017/18 and some of the sides since for example, which featured a lot of 21 year olds, this team is currently being made up of the lads who are either still playing U18's football, or only recently made the step up.

Dan Pike will be good enough, Sam Barnes will be good enough, Jack Vale will be good enough, but I think we've got to be a bit more patient. The likes of Lyons, White, Mols and Grayson, they're all out now, they're not going to make it here and YES they are a concern. We're keeping some of these players aged 20+ around for way too long in my opinion. To be top of that division with such a young side for me is a testament to Billy Barr really. Luke Brennan was U18's last year, Pike the same, Garrett completely out of position at centre-back for half the season who was U18's last season. Jordan Eastham in net for half the season who again, is only a recent U18's graduate.

I think the quality is there, but this crop are significantly younger than some of the classes we've had in previous years which have featured predominantly 20-23 year olds.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Not sure Scott Wharton would agree. Centre-half has been our achilles heel for a number of seasons and yet he has been loaned out several times with great success. However he rarely got a look in here until serious injuries struck and we had little choice. When he played lo and behold he seemed well up to this standard.

You could argue maybe Mowbray didn't fancy playing a young centre half until he has matured, but then you look at our current back 4 and you realise that's obviously not the case.

Don't know what was going on there i think maybe Mowbray just didn't rate him and wanted extra room on the books/squad for something else.

Either way it benefited Wharton in the end because he came back more rugged and experienced than he would have been. Like i said i can't fault TM when it comes to getting youth involved (even if he's no choice).  His use of some of them though and his own signings leaves question marks.

Plus we know from experience he isn't a right good judge of defenders.

Edited by tomphil

31 minutes ago, roverandout said:

If that is exactly what he's said, it should be a sackable offence in itself.

As already pointed out, it's a team from the same division not a team from higher up the pyramid in a Cup competition!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeH said:

On your question, I think there's some understanding to be had about our current PL2 crop. Most of the side is made up of very young players. Unlike our promotion side of 2017/18 and some of the sides since for example, which featured a lot of 21 year olds, this team is currently being made up of the lads who are either still playing U18's football, or only recently made the step up.

Dan Pike will be good enough, Sam Barnes will be good enough, Jack Vale will be good enough, but I think we've got to be a bit more patient. The likes of Lyons, White, Mols and Grayson, they're all out now, they're not going to make it here and YES they are a concern. We're keeping some of these players aged 20+ around for way too long in my opinion. To be top of that division with such a young side for me is a testament to Billy Barr really. Luke Brennan was U18's last year, Pike the same, Garrett completely out of position at centre-back for half the season who was U18's last season. Jordan Eastham in net for half the season who again, is only a recent U18's graduate.

I think the quality is there, but this crop are significantly younger than some of the classes we've had in previous years which have featured predominantly 20-23 year olds.

For them, even if they are well managed and especially at that age to be doing so well at that level yet so far away from the first team, would that not indicate that the very set up of under 23 football currently is not suitable to prime players for first team football? You mention Pike as one of the three stand outs, he wasnt even considered when all 3 of whom Mowbray considers to be first team right backs were unavailable, is that unnecessary reluctance on Mowbrays part or would he genuinely do worse than presumably Bennett tonight or Douglas at right back? Vale is another example but he cant get onto Rochdale's bench at the moment. 

This isnt in any way a criticism of Rovers, who obviously in recent years have churned many first team players out, I just cant get my head around why there is such a big gap between a mid table first team Championship squad, or even the first team of Rochdale in Vale's case and one or two other loanees at lower levels, and the under 23s, even when our group seems to be so dominant at that level?

Again looking in from the outside, I have noticed quite a few times that senior players have played for us, Dack has, Ayala has, Evans has, Bennett has, Chapman has many times, probably one or two others, does that give a false league position or would that be unfair?

22 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How good is Garrett? Lots of talk of him being a star of the future  few years ago 

• Like 1