BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Watford Wed 24th Feb 19:45

I think we know the plot tonight

We'll start brightly but gradually fall back and then concede a soft goal (they're always soft) by the 20th minute

Watford take control and the match meanders along until the 65th minute when Mowbray throws on 4 attacking subs

Watford confirm their superiority shortly after with the second goal and although Rovers finally wake up in the last 10 minutes the match is already lost

Rovers 0 Watford 2, and save yourself £10. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

For them, even if they are well managed and especially at that age to be doing so well at that level yet so far away from the first team, would that not indicate that the very set up of under 23 football currently is not suitable to prime players for first team football? You mention Pike as one of the three stand outs, he wasnt even considered when all 3 of whom Mowbray considers to be first team right backs were unavailable, is that unnecessary reluctance on Mowbrays part or would he genuinely do worse than presumably Bennett tonight or Douglas at right back? Vale is another example but he cant get onto Rochdale's bench at the moment. 

This isnt in any way a criticism of Rovers, who obviously in recent years have churned many first team players out, I just cant get my head around why there is such a big gap between a mid table first team Championship squad, or even the first team of Rochdale in Vale's case and one or two other loanees at lower levels, and the under 23s, even when our group seems to be so dominant at that level?

Again looking in from the outside, I have noticed quite a few times that senior players have played for us, Dack has, Ayala has, Evans has, Bennett has, Chapman has many times, probably one or two others, does that give a false league position or would that be unfair?

I think the first team inclusions haven't done too much, my estimations put us 4th or 5th without Dack, Evans and Bennett for example. I think we'd have lost the Derby game without first teamers for sure.

But for the most part, Billy Barr has that side winning because tactically they just get it right. They force mistakes out of defenders. The win over Liverpool away was a good example. No first team involvement, two goals against the run of play. I'd say Rovers U23's, unlike most in that league, use tactics you'd usually see in mens senior football at first team level. Barnes and Annesley as a defensive partnership for example has been great and I haven't seen a CB pairing in the PL2 with as much physicality and "shithouse" mens football tactics.

On Dan Pike/Mowbray reluctance, I'd say it's probably a mixture of a few things. Whilst he has quality, he's still VERY young, but yes I think the manager has been over hesitant in my opinion. On Jack Vale, it's frustrating watching these players go on unsuccessful loans, I've seen enough of him to know he'd do well in this league. The football they're playing at Rochdale really isn't going to suit him at all, and he simply isn't getting the game time.

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

How good is Garrett? Lots of talk of him being a star of the future  few years ago 

It's a really weird one with JG. Played mainly LB for the U18's, looked good in the FAYC run (but almost all of them did, it's like they were on drugs). He's since been utilised as the LCB for the U23's, sometimes in a back five and sometimes even in a four. You can tell he's not familiar with the position but it's clear he has the talent.

He played in central midfield vs West Ham but I didn't get to see the full game. Some of these players, Zak Gilsenan a perfect example, can sometimes get a big name for themselves WAY too early.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's a really weird one with JG. Played mainly LB for the U18's, looked good in the FAYC run (but almost all of them did, it's like they were on drugs). He's since been utilised as the LCB for the U23's, sometimes in a back five and sometimes even in a four. You can tell he's not familiar with the position but it's clear he has the talent.

He played in central midfield vs West Ham but I didn't get to see the full game. Some of these players, Zak Gilsenan a perfect example, can sometimes get a big name for themselves WAY too early.

Cheers. I know he was linked in the press with a few Prem teams when he was about 14. He was a LB back then. 

42 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Probably not as we are likely to try to play football on it still, judging by some past efforts. Whereas I imagine Watford will be more sensible about it and adapt.

I have seen Watford a few times even as recently as Friday and they try and play out from the back. It will be an eye opener for them walking out on that. It could be advantageous to us if Mowbray doesn't over complicate things. Plenty of balls over the top for Armstrong to chase would be the order of the day for me with a high press out of possession.

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Mowbray's exuces out already

'They have to have a slightly off day and we have to have a good day. And I think we could come away with some points '

So its not percentages today its about luck.  Imagine small teams in the fa Cup having this attitude against big teams. 

The mans motivational instincts are non existent it's purely driven to prepare for defeat to cover his own backside.

Pathetic to be honest and whilst a lot of fans might agree with what he says that's not the point.  Mowbray talks defeat before we've been defeated, stating the obvious afterwards is expected. That's just a football manager thing but iv'e never heard a guy forensically dissect the opposition and run through what we are scared of before we've even had a go at them like he does.

It's just a side who were 8th a week ago going up against one who are 3rd. A February midweek championship match not away to Man City in the champions league for crying out loud.

Absolute drip.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He defo said it. 

Well it is detached enough from reality to be a genuine quote I suppose. It's another falsehood though. Watford have pretty much combined drawn and lost as many games as they have won which suggests from pure stats alone there's a roughly 50% chance of us getting something from the game. Admittedly good form over the last 5 games but then the footballing giants QPR and Coventry also got points off them in that time. So to make out we are at a huge disadvantage coming into this match against an unstoppable juggernaut is another fabrication from TM. Can he actually tell the truth any more? 

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, roverandout said:

'They have to have a slightly off day and we have to have a good day. And I think we could come away with some points '

Spoken like a true small time manager. Give the players an excuse to put in another half arsed display again, why don't you?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I have seen Watford a few times even as recently as Friday and they try and play out from the back. It will be an eye opener for them walking out on that. It could be advantageous to us if Mowbray doesn't over complicate things. Plenty of balls over the top for Armstrong to chase would be the order of the day for me with a high press out of possession.

I gather they play from the back, but I'm saying they'll be aware of the pitch standards and I expect them to be more tactically astute than our mob and adapt. I also expect Tony will over-complicate things, it's his way.

2 hours ago, broadsword said:

Expectation management, aka priming. Who knows, maybe he's got a bet on. 

I've given up caring. 

I think you care, or you wouldn’t post; you’ve just ceased to care about the Mowbray regime anymore. 

For the fans, Liberation Day is the first day of any new manager at a club. 

Edited by WacoRover

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Just read in the live LET chat feed that our back four could wel be be: 

Bennett Harwood-Bellis Branthwaite Bell

Jesus fecking wept. 

Another hold my lemon drizzle cake moment for TM as Rovers fans complain the back 4 of Johnson, Bell, Douglas and Lenihen is the worst ever. 

22 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Just read in the live LET chat feed that our back four could wel be be: 

Bennett Harwood-Bellis Branthwaite Bell

Jesus fecking wept. 

To be fair, I thought the 2 teenagers played well in the last match. Agree that line-up doesn't inspire confidence

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

The mans motivational instincts are non existent it's purely driven to prepare for defeat to cover his own backside.

Pathetic to be honest and whilst a lot of fans might agree with what he says that's not the point.  Mowbray talks defeat before we've been defeated, stating the obvious afterwards is expected. That's just a football manager thing but iv'e never heard a guy forensically dissect the opposition and run through what we are scared of before we've even had a go at them like he does.

It's just a side who were 8th a week ago going up against one who are 3rd. A February midweek championship match not away to Man City in the champions league for crying out loud.

Absolute drip.

Mowbray is pathetic we all know and should be sacked but SHOULD I care watching the game? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

Have we had a fixture change, or are we in a league too high now?

This is pathetic. We are playing another championship team at home. We’re not away to Man City for goodness sake. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

No matter how he plays Davenport is always out of the team after one game. His fitness is going to ruin his career 

Glad the fans didn’t injure Nyambe too much 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5