BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V COVENTRY 27/2/2021

19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

god alone knows what the crowd figures will be next season,i suspect we`ll be back to 80`s figures,i.e 7 or 8 thousand every week if mowbray is still here that is

I honestly believe that we will hit 5000 or lower if Mowbray is still here coupled with the fact that a lot will have "got out of the habit and economic reality. A decent CEO  would drop prices to people back but this lot will raise them instead....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

How dare you! Born and bred. Haven't lived there for 45 years though, so maybe pastry-product related terminology has evolved in my lengthy absence. I still laugh at the fact that one of the first times I visited my local corner shop  here in Sheffield and bought a couple, the woman behind the counter said "two breadcakes, OK love." I said "Is that what you call them." She replied "Yes, what do you call them?" When I said barmcakes she sighed and said "You'll be from Lancashire, then."

Always been tea cakes here, brain must be playing tricks on you.

Ask any owd timer still residing here.

• Like 1

“Expecting a win tonight was unrealistic. They are better then us. Yes it’s been bad lately, but this isn’t a defining game. 

Dont beat Coventry then yes serious issues”

Wood26 after the Watford defeat. 

Looking forward to hearing his thoughts on this now he’s admitted ‘serious issues’

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Always been tea cakes here, brain must be playing tricks on you.

Ask any owd timer still residing here.

Is it just Blackburn? Grew up in Withnell/Brinscall and for me teacakes have currants in. Though Stuart is on to something as my mum says "currant teacake" but i assumed it is because she is from Bolton...

Edited by Roverthechimp
  • Like 1

I'm just off to sort the tea out. It's left-over Indian takeaway and I'll be frying a few additional poppadums and some terrific roti that I get from an Asian shop. Or are they called chapatis?  Or is it naans?  Then again it might be parathas.

I'll leave that one with you. Night night.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

How dare you! Born and bred. Haven't lived there for 45 years though, so maybe pastry-product related terminology has evolved in my lengthy absence. I still laugh at the fact that one of the first times I visited my local corner shop  here in Sheffield and bought a couple, the woman behind the counter said "two breadcakes, OK love." I said "Is that what you call them." She replied "Yes, what do you call them?" When I said barmcakes she sighed and said "You'll be from Lancashire, then."

Lol - it's like a whole new universe over there 😉

I remember many years back going on a Saturday day out via Manchester, to Sheff Utd (we got battered and arriving into Sheffield late morning. We went to a chippy near Bramall Lane for lunch and I was mortified to have the pish taken out of me by the lass behind the counter, when I asked for peas with my fish and chips, and a 'Dab'. "Thaas not from round here" she said in a loud brogue, "We don't doooow peaAASS, and whats a Dab when it is at ome? - do you mean a cake?"

I think my pink cheeks were probably visible from outer space! (well I was only 15 and a bit of a weed)

Lovely city, Sheffield. Now I mean - back then it was the arsehole of Northern England 😉

ANYTHING to avoid talking about today's shower of shite....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

I honestly believe that we will hit 5000 or lower if Mowbray is still here coupled with the fact that a lot will have "got out of the habit and economic reality. A decent CEO  would drop prices to people back but this lot will raise them instead....

If Mowbray is still here I think we will be lucky to get 5000.

• Like 1

One half of this post enthuses me. Guess which half...

I remember having a disagreement with my Liverpudlian supervisor about the currant content of teacakes. I had an ally in a lass from Bradford who pointed out that, yes, currant teacakes have currants in them whilst teacakes have bacon in them (God I love that woman).

As to that shower, I feel nothing. Don't even slightly care about it. Raging about the pitch in Ahmedabad and the pathetic attempts to bat on it. Raging about the ref in Cardiff. Rovers though, I just don't care any more. Damning.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Lol - it's like a whole new universe over there 😉

I remember many years back going on a Saturday day out via Manchester, to Sheff Utd (we got battered and arriving into Sheffield late morning. We went to a chippy near Bramall Lane for lunch and I was mortified to have the pish taken out of me by the lass behind the counter, when I asked for peas with my fish and chips, and a 'Dab'. "Thaas not from round here" she said in a loud brogue, "We don't doooow peaAASS, and whats a Dab when it is at ome? - do you mean a cake?"

I think my pink cheeks were probably visible from outer space! (well I was only 15 and a bit of a weed)

Lovely city, Sheffield. Now I mean - back then it was the arsehole of Northern England 😉

ANYTHING to avoid talking about today's shower of shite....

In Newcastle they call barm cakes stottys. 🤷‍♂️. Weirdos

9 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Aye, had another embarrasing episode on the Big Market up the Toon, when trying to pay for a stottie butty - gave the shrewish woman what I thought I heard her asking for (80p) and she kept say, "No man, neynty pee" which to my more cultured ear (yeah right!) sounded like '80p".. after a while a local stepped in, dipped her hand in my fistful of change and called me something unrepeatable, again adding the ubiquitous "you aren't from roond here, hinny"

Going back to Sheffield, briefly, I was amazed to hear someone order a cake butty - turned out to be a dab on a barm cake..

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Is it just Blackburn? Grew up in Withnell/Brinscall and for me teacakes have currants in. Though Stuart is on to something as my mum says "currant teacake" but i assumed it is because she is from Bolton...

Same here, chippies in Brinscall and Withnell always the trusty chip barm.

Hardly a long way from Blackburn.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Aye, had another embarrasing episode on the Big Market up the Toon, when trying to pay for a stottie butty - gave the shrewish woman what I thought I heard her asking for (80p) and she kept say, "No man, neynty pee" which to my more cultured ear (yeah right!) sounded like '80p".. after a while a local stepped in, dipped her hand in my fistful of change and called me something unrepeatable, again adding the ubiquitous "you aren't from roond here, hinny"

Going back to Sheffield, briefly, I was amazed to hear someone order a cake butty - turned out to be a dab on a barm cake..

The Wigan kebab. A pie in a barm. Randomly I think it has to be a specific pie as well. Seem to recall it’s a butter pie. So effectively have mash in a pie in a barm. Not much more northern than that. 😂

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So far this week, seen this shower stumble around twice.

The cricket was 💩

And we've just been mullered by Wales.

Sport's been terrible this year!

Don’t worry, we’ll dick the jocks at Wembley in June 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Mowbray today blaming......the other team having 10 men and us missing Gallagher up front?

I think the worst thing that could have happened was the sending off. They sit on a line of five and nullify the space really.

It’s not like we’ve got Gallagher to put near Armstrong and get balls in the box, so it’s a frustrating balance to get. 

Give the guy a break. He clearly thinks playing down a man improves the odds of winning. That’s what he plays Gallagher on the wing. It’s like playing with 10 every week...wicked smart

Edited by yankfan

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Barmcake !

A survey of North West chippies would turn up more menus saying chip barm than tea cake.

28 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Flour cakes in Bolton.  Muffins in Manchester.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bazza said:

Flour cakes in Bolton.  Muffins in Manchester.

Muffins are a minefield. To me eggs Benedict are served on a muffin, a muffin could be like a fairy cake and could also expect to see a barm. Three very different things.

It’s any wonder we ever get what we order in Lancashire. 

• Like 1