BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS V COVENTRY 27/2/2021

37 minutes ago, Giant said:

My dad was a baker in Darwen, then Great Harwood where I lived in the baker’s shop. A teacake in the Blackburn area doesn’t have currants in it, that’s a currant teacake. Basically made from white bread dough but cooked off the bottom of the oven on a rack to distinguish them from oven bottoms which are. Teacakes are for putting bacon on, currant teacake are for toasting with butter on. Both drunk with a cup of tea, hence teacake. Ashton’s bakery on Heys Lane still sell proper teacakes, not a currant in sight.

That makes sense and I agree but you haven’t addressed the barmcake issue

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Giant said:

My dad was a baker in Darwen, then Great Harwood where I lived in the baker’s shop. A teacake in the Blackburn area doesn’t have currants in it, that’s a currant teacake. Basically made from white bread dough but cooked off the bottom of the oven on a rack to distinguish them from oven bottoms which are. Teacakes are for putting bacon on, currant teacake are for toasting with butter on. Both drunk with a cup of tea, hence teacake. Ashton’s bakery on Heys Lane still sell proper teacakes, not a currant in sight.

Thanks for confirming what Ive been trying to explain to non blackburnians  since I left 40 yrs ago

Barm cake - bit like mini sottie better a bit brunt

teacake - better pronounced as tahcake softer sweeter and no bloody currants

currant teacake - has currants...

My life is fulfilled....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Dare I ask what the yanks think a biscuit is? If it’s anything like giving you crisps instead of chips I dread to think. 

I had a biscuit once in America and it was a scone! (Without wishing to derail the thread(!) is it scone or scon??). 

1 hour ago, Giant said:

Spot on.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

As I remember from my schooldays at SMC, we sneaked out for a dab teacake, with not a current in sight. But it had a domed top, otherwise it would’ve been a dab barmcake

The chippy at the top of St James's road used to do a John Bull barmcake

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m in north of Scotland, have no idea what you’re even trying to name. A barncake? Is it just like a roll that you would put like cheese or sausage etc in? It’s just a roll here I think.

a tea cake is a wee chocolate biscuit with marshmallow in it.

a muffin can be either like a McMuffin - savoury or like a chocolate /blueberry muffin. Admit they should probably have two names to avoid confusion. 

we also have like hot cross buns- that could be your barncake 

interesting regional naming of foods discussion all the same 

The nearest thing is a softy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Known to me as a Chocolate Tea Cake

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m in north of Scotland, have no idea what you’re even trying to name. A barncake? Is it just like a roll that you would put like cheese or sausage etc in? It’s just a roll here I think.

a tea cake is a wee chocolate biscuit with marshmallow in it.

a muffin can be either like a McMuffin - savoury or like a chocolate /blueberry muffin. Admit they should probably have two names to avoid confusion. 

we also have like hot cross buns- that could be your barncake 

interesting regional naming of foods discussion all the same 

Tunnocks

• Like 7