BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall v rovers

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's playing it at the moment but I would suggest he's not ideally suited to the position. He'd go better playing along side another striker in a 4-4-2 formation. Just my opinion of course.

He's the 2nd highest scorer in the division. He's suited enough to it for that. He isnt a target man, that's not his job. He's there to play on the shoulder of the opposition, not to get involved in the link up play especially. Comparisons with Dolan are therefore bogus, he's not the same player being asked to do the same things. 

I don't disagree that he could work well in a 442. However, the issue now is that when he's up front alone the team behind him aren't functioning. Nor the wide men. People are pointing the finger in the wrong direction. 

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'm sure Jordan Rhodes didn't use to run very far. Great goalscorer though, which is what he was paid to do. 

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wasn't played upfront alone though, was he? Very different. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In League 1? 

I was referring to the Jordan Rhodes post that you quoted.

34 minutes ago, rigger said:

After that upturn in performance, perhaps it is Armstrong, not Mowbray that has lost the dressing room. 

I agree something along those lines happend alright. From and including that bizzare Bristol city game. Should have won that game. Armstrong had 9 shots. At least 2-3 he could have played someone else in. I reckon his team mates were fuming and his view was along the lines of the defence of him on here. "I'm top scorer and that's all that matters" 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Our defence has been poor, but there were so many games where we didn't take our chances and needed up getting punished for it. So many more attempts than the opposition. Malfunctioning attack with shots taken instead of passes. It looks at times like the only one Armstrong trusts to pass it to is Elliott

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Our defence has been poor, but there were so many games where we didn't take our chances and needed up getting punished for it. So many more attempts than the opposition. Malfunctioning attack with shots taken instead of passes. It looks at times like the only one Armstrong trusts to pass it to is Elliott

Mowbray's probably told the team to pass it to Armstrong 'who'll shot and score', despite the reality that a teammate may just have a tap in, if he passes.

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'm sure Jordan Rhodes didn't use to run very far. Great goalscorer though, which is what he was paid to do. 

Ive always wondered why media outlets dont rank strikers on metres run to be fair.

Todays theory is that Armstrong has caused a dressing room mutiny.

• Like 2

He's the 2nd highest scorer in the division. He's suited enough to it for that. He isnt a target man, that's not his job. He's there to play on the shoulder of the opposition, not to get involved in the link up play especially. Comparisons with Dolan are therefore bogus, he's not the same player being asked to do the same things. 

I don't disagree that he could work well in a 442. However, the issue now is that when he's up front alone the team behind him aren't functioning. Nor the wide men. People are pointing the finger in the wrong direction. 

Trouble is when he's having an off day we don't look like scoring. It's not his fault we are set up that way but something needed to be changed late last autumn.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nyambe won't be playing too close to the centre halves just because he feels like it. He's playing there because he's been told to play there. Most modern full backs play too close to the centre halves in my opinion but what do I know.

Regarding JRC - was he the one that waved a foot at that cross that Smith should have scored from ?

He was, but it was a 2-on-1 overlap, Brereton didn’t track back.

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I know, it's hilarious. 

'Adam, can you please stop scoring all those goals. You're upsetting us' 🤣

I heard an interview after the Bristol game where Johnson specifically said he had words with Armstrong after the game about  him taking all those shots when teammates were better placed. Could’ve been fatherly advice or a punch-up or anywhere in between.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He was, but it was a 2-on-1 overlap, Brereton didn’t track back.

Whoever was playing " full back "should have worked a lot harder to block that cross. All the lad did was jog on, then wave a foot in the air. Typical attacking player's attempt at a block.  Half hearted. A real full back would have been launching himself feet first to block that ball in. OK, the guy dummies the cross and you go sliding off the pitch, but you've bought the centre halves time and the lad in the middle may now over run the ball.  If Smith scores there we would have been back to square one. Given his heading ability 9 times out of 10 that's a goal, we got lucky there. Previously this season  little mistakes like that have ended up in the back of the net.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whoever was playing " full back "should have worked a lot harder to block that cross. All the lad did was jog on, then wave a foot in the air. Typical attacking player's attempt at a block.  Half hearted. A real full back would have been launching himself feet first to block that ball in. OK, the guy dummies the cross and you go sliding off the pitch, but you've bought the centre halves time and the lad in the middle may now over run the ball.  If Smith scores there we would have been back to square one. Given his heading ability 9 times out of 10 that's a goal, we got lucky there. Previously this season  little mistakes like that have ended up in the back of the net.

I don’t think I’ve seen any of our fullbacks do that - Bell did exactly the same as JRC in the first few minutes against reading and the keeper did a great save from a goal-bound header. Stopping crosses is one of our many defensive weak points imo. I too thought the one on Saturday was a certain goal.

• Like 1

I know, it's hilarious. 

'Adam, can you please stop scoring all those goals. You're upsetting us' 🤣

Don't be silly. It's clearly stop taking all those shots when you could pass it to someone who is obviously in a better position. 56 more shots that the nearest player. 56! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I heard an interview after the Bristol game where Johnson specifically said he had words with Armstrong after the game about  him taking all those shots when teammates were better placed. Could’ve been fatherly advice or a punch-up or anywhere in between.

Ah, so it did happen. I wouldn't say he was the only one who said it. One of the most self indulgent, wasteful and selfish displays I have ever seen on a football field. 9 shots. Pretty much all of which were the incorrect option. 

• Like 1

Quite interestingly, his goal conversion percentage is very competitive, with Brereton the most blatantly wasteful with the shots he takes, and his shot accuracy is also as good as anyones:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/top-scorers

Throw in the fact that he is the second top scorer in the league, and has 14 more for us than anyone else, and I think these things all are a little more substantial than a totally fabricated theory in which after a game "his team mates were fuming and his view was along the lines of the defence of him on here, saying "I'm top scorer and that's all that matters."" Or indeed it is "Armstrong, not Mowbray that has lost the dressing room."

He was really poor v Bristol City, and seemingly born out of frustration, took too many shots on, selfishly. It was one game though, in a prolific season.

As an aside, I would have loved us to have had Ruud Van Nistelrooy in his pomp, a player who used to sulk if his team won but he didnt score, and obsessed about scoring. Was one of the best strikers in Premier League history, but I suspect he would not have been received well on here.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Quite interestingly, his goal conversion percentage is very competitive, with Brereton the most blatantly wasteful with the shots he takes, and his shot accuracy is also as good as anyones:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/top-scorers

Throw in the fact that he is the second top scorer in the league, and has 14 more for us than anyone else, and I think these things all are a little more substantial than a totally fabricated theory in which after a game "his team mates were fuming and his view was along the lines of the defence of him on here, saying "I'm top scorer and that's all that matters."" Or indeed it is "Armstrong, not Mowbray that has lost the dressing room."

He was really poor v Bristol City, and seemingly born out of frustration, took too many shots on, selfishly. It was one game though, in a prolific season.

As an aside, I would have loved us to have had Ruud Van Nistelrooy in his pomp, a player who used to sulk if his team won but he didnt score, and obsessed about scoring. Was one of the best strikers in Premier League history, but I suspect he would not have been received well on here.

Can you break down how his goal conversation percentage is competitive? Does that include shots that don't get passed a defender? 

It's not frabricated. Johnson said it and if you know anything about football, how could you think he wasn't pulled up for that display? Elephant in the room if he wasn't 

At the end of the day, him being top scorer won't get us up. All round team play will do that. No team can carry a goal scorer who does little else these days. Even the top , top teams. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I saw that post and to be honest it looked a little tongue in cheek to me, rather than an actual 'theory'. 

As for the Van Nistelrooy comparison, I wouldn't know where to even begin with that one. I'm pretty sure he would have been very warmly received by the Rovers faithful in much the same way as  Shearer, Bellamy, McCarthy, Yakubu and Santa Cruz were.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Can you break down how his goal conversation percentage is competitive? Does that include shots that don't get passed a defender? 

It's not frabricated. Johnson said it and if you know anything about football, how could you think he wasn't pulled up for that display? Elephant in the room if he wasn't 

At the end of the day, him being top scorer won't get us up. All round team play will do that. No team can carry a goal scorer who does little else these days. Even the top , top teams. 

Did Johnson say it? And even if he did, and it turns out that his performance in that one game did cause team mates to argue, as is common I am sure, you then rabbled on with a theory you had as to the exact conversation, including Armstrong seemingly then going on to further enrage his team mates by telling them that he only cares about being top scorer!

I never said it would, but not having his goals will make us even less equipped to go up. Not that we "carry" him anyway. 

I presume blocked shots count yes, included as part of your favourite 56 shot line, so those stats show that he isnt taking shots to the extent whereby his impressive goal tally is a disproportionately low percentage of those shots. And when he takes shots, more often than not he hits the target.

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I saw that post and to be honest it looked a little tongue in cheek to me, rather than an actual 'theory'. 

As for the Van Nistelrooy comparison, I wouldn't know where to even begin with that one. I'm pretty sure he would have been very warmly received by the Rovers faithful in much the same way as  Shearer, Bellamy, McCarthy, Yakubu and Santa Cruz were.

Im sure he would, but it was just an extreme example of how many strikers by their very nature are selfish creatures. 

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Did Johnson say it? And even if he did, and it turns out that his performance in that one game did cause team mates to argue, as is common I am sure, you then rabbled on with a theory you had as to the exact conversation, including Armstrong seemingly then going on to further enrage his team mates by telling them that he only cares about being top scorer!

I never said it would, but not having his goals will make us even less equipped to go up. Not that we "carry" him anyway. 

I presume blocked shots count yes, included as part of your favourite 56 shot line, so those stats show that he isnt taking shots to the extent whereby his impressive goal tally is a disproportionately low percentage of those shots. And when he takes shots, more often than not he hits the target.

Im sure he would, but it was just an extreme example of how many strikers by their very nature are selfish creatures. 

You presume? Oh right. They couldn't possibly be included in his conversion stats, if said stats reflect well. Wouldn't make sense. 

My favourite line? It's a factual stat,is it not? If he has had 56 more than the next player in the league, how many more than the next player in the squad? I would PRESUME he has had more shots than any player has had at this stage of a championship season ever. 

As difficult as it might be to believe, I do like Armstrong. I just think getting to the top of the charts went to his head and impacted his game. In a proper system I think he could excel. He is young too, so plenty of scope and time to improve his all round game. Not under Mowbray though. It's not balanced with him as a lone front man. Even the top teams who play one up top have players that contribute far more, including the basics of work rate. 

• Like 1