BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers vs Brentford, Friday, March 12.

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Brentford fans, while universally sympathetic about Dack, are arguing whether Dack was allowed to do what he did. Some suggest he needed permission from the ref to come back on to the field of play.  

https://griffinpark.org/index.php?threads/blackburn-0-1-bees-toney-p.135070/

They were happy with the ref, shocker.

On another note, we can bitch and moan about the ref all we want (I know he was abysmal), but even without that, we still had 80 minutes to score at least one goal....

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, toogs said:

Championship Refs get paid a retainer of of between £38,500 and £42,000 based on experience and then £600 per match. So if they do 20 games a season, good money. And I guess many still have a day job!

OK, didn't know that. Nice earner.

I thought they were still on five bob a game and a bit towards petrol 😉, such is their standard of officiating. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

On another note, we can bitch and moan about the ref all we want (I know he was abysmal), but even without that, we still had 80 minutes to score at least one goal....

They go hand in hand though.

We were unfairly denied two clear cut golden opportunities against one of the best sides in the league.

Penalties count.

We’ve been really shit lately but honestly think we deserved more.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, pick32 said:

I was one who did fuck all just because I didn’t want to be associated with utter stupidity and the BNP Merry men, 

creating a protest t shirt in the colours of your away kit and then someone starting up a new rovers club with a stolen copyright Super Bowl logo haha

Blind leading the blind

Just so we are clear, you are saying the protesters were racists?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

OR they got a dodgy penalty and we had 2 decent shouts denied and neither team scored in open play in match time

The Pink Ref dictated the result 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Correct. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pick32 said:

I was one who did fuck all just because I didn’t want to be associated with utter stupidity and the BNP Merry men, 

creating a protest t shirt in the colours of your away kit and then someone starting up a new rovers club with a stolen copyright Super Bowl logo haha

Blind leading the blind

That you, Jerome?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

They are ignorant of the law. Dack didn't deliberately leave the field of play and as such didn't need permission to come back on.

Out of interest, Tony, what happens after the final whistle with regards to the ref and those penalty incidents? Will he have looked at them on TV? Will the Assessor? Would they be discussed? If so, how would those discussions be taken forward?

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

I wholeheartedly disagree.

It was not unreasonable at all to play Dack in these games and I’ve yet to see anyone suggesting that before the accident.

20 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Always amazes me that TM rotates regularly, sometimes when, to my mind, he shouldn't, but then we have three games in six days and quite a few players have played in all three. Not the first time he hasn't made changes when they do seem merited (and that's before we get into continuing to play out of form players week in week out, whilst rotating players who do better).

I get why the same team is out though, they've done fairly well the last two games, just hope this isn't a game too far for their legs.

Did I name Dack specifically? No, but as soon as I saw the lineup, and before the game started, I highlighted the general risk of most of these lads playing 3 games in 6 days. I didn't bother going into specifically who should sit out, I was a little busy at the time, but I'd say it stands to reason that the top-end asset lad who had fairly recently recovered from an ACL and was only just looking like he could handle a full game at anything like his old level would be a prime candidate for not starting a third game in six days, if I'd had the time to go into who to rotate.

• Like 2

Listening to Thomas Frank speak we just can’t follow the Brentford model. Frank is an intelligent arsene Wenger thinker with some sort of sports psychology degree I believe. Mowbray is a drongo from Middlesbrough who knows more about biscuits than organising a defence.

Thinking just isn’t his thing. In general I think Rovers would be better if Mowbray wasn’t told who we were playing until 15 minutes before kick off so he can’t try to think. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Just so we are clear, you are saying the protesters were racists?

Guess I'm a racist then as I was part of the protests.  What an ignorant comment from pick. Perhaps if more people put the effort in to protest we might have made a difference 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

You can see the thought process from one angle.

He clips the ball to the side, glances, sees he’s overdone it, then immediately drops his planted leg

Does me head in, but I do think those a regularly given nowadays as any contact at all, whether initiated by the attacker or not seems to be given.

Stupid.

And ours were worse.

I always think back to when I was playing football - you'd literally be laughed off the pitch if you appealed for a penalty there. 

The professional game has been ruined by play acting unfortunately. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Mowbray was far too pally with their lot for my liking - too many gurning smiles and pats on the back. The guy plainly doesn't give a fuck.

Runs through the team, unfortunately.

Rovers would have been well within their rights to walk off the pitch at full time without acknowledging the Brentford players (they committed so many cynical fouls it was untrue - and obviously gave away two blatant penalties and dived for one of their own) or the referee.

Instead it's handshakes, hugs, well played etc. "Job done". 

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Listening to Thomas Frank speak we just can’t follow the Brentford model. Frank is an intelligent arsene Wenger thinker with some sort of sports psychology degree I believe. Mowbray is a drongo from Middlesbrough who knows more about biscuits than organising a defence.

Thinking just isn’t his thing. In general I think Rovers would be better if Mowbray wasn’t told who we were playing until 15 minutes before kick off so he can’t try to think. 

That’s the problem, I think it’s too much of his thing! If he stopped trying to over think everything and focus on our strengths more, rather than those of the opposition, I think we’d be a lot better off.

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Guess I'm a racist then as I was part of the protests.  What an ignorant comment from pick. Perhaps if more people put the effort in to protest we might have made a difference 

Back then I really didn’t want to trudge around from pub to ground chanting Kean out. Wasn’t the best look for me particularly if someone from work had seen. But as soon as Kean laughed off the protests vs Arsenal as the 1% I swore I’d never miss another one. If only more did get involved who knows what message that would have sent to India. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I always think back to when I was playing football - you'd literally be laughed off the pitch if you appealed for a penalty there. 

The professional game has been ruined by play acting unfortunately. 

Ruined by officials rewarding playacting. It's not just simply the refs being conned. The definition of what is foul play has become softer and softer over the years to the point whereby we are in the realms of non contact. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Did we have a shot on target in the first half ?  How many corners do we manage in the game ?  How many free kicks went into the box ?

For all the nice runs of Rothwell or the odd nice interchanging of passes we really are one trick ponies.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

They are ignorant of the law. Dack didn't deliberately leave the field of play and as such didn't need permission to come back on.

Ah, didn't realise that. He was that far behind play I assumed he must have been waved back on the pitch.

I've lost track of the current offside law. Does that not raise all sorts of issues as to whether he would have been offside the second he touched the ball?

6 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I hope Sam Gallagher has the b*llocks once the dust has settled on last night to knock on Tony’s office to tell him just how effected he is mentally from being shunted out wide. We all know he’s no world beater but Mowbray has absolutely ruined the bloke IMO. The longest failed experiment of all time. 

Absolutely, there's no doubt he tries but he's more hopeless on the left than the right. Get the ball and tries to dribble it then falls over or is robbed, gets drawn inside naturally then leaves a huge space where he should be. Rinse and repeat.

Absolute braindead stuff from the so called experts. I think if ever there was a case to be held up for a player simply being shoehorned into a side by a manager desperate to justify his signing then it's him.

Piss poor stuff.

• Like 3

It didn't take long for the death spiral to restart, did it? So much for Mowbray's assertion that a team can go from losing matches all one month and then win 4 or 5 on the bounce. Exposed as more bs.

5 points from 30 is relegation form. The odd win or draw does not change that. There's no objective reason for the Mowbrayites to see any sign of success, any positives or get happy. Lose another match and the mathematical possibility of the playoffs disappears. Realistically a managerial change has to happen before our next game or we're all aboard the Mowbray relegation express special.  Think we're safe with 44 points? Hull thought they were safe last season with 45. Remember how we were too good to go down from the Premiership in the late 90s and got relegated.

Now, really is the last chance to change manager.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ah, didn't realise that. He was that far behind play I assumed he must have been waved back on the pitch.

I've lost track of the current offside law. Does that not raise all sorts of issues as to whether he would have been offside the second he touched the ball?

You can only be offside if another member of your team touches it, you can't play yourself offside. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hasta said:

At actual speed I thought it was a penalty because Lenihan puts his arm out across his waist. Very similar to the Walsh / Speedie incident but he had no need to do it.

IMG20210313130417.jpg

So why the one with Nyambe not? But I agree Lenihan had no need to put his arm out as there had already been contact with the knee. Two contacts gave the ref little option. 

46 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Out of interest, Tony, what happens after the final whistle with regards to the ref and those penalty incidents? Will he have looked at them on TV? Will the Assessor? Would they be discussed? If so, how would those discussions be taken forward?

When I was active John every game had an assessor in attendance and he would join us pre match and stay for all the formalities. After the game there would be a debrief when aspects of the game could be discussed. In the next couple of days the assessor compiled his report and, if he needed to would view critical incidents on a DVD. He would then mark accordingly. In my time clubs were denied access to these reports as they were deemed private. With the advent of the full time Select Group Two (effectively Championship referees) there was a marked change. Each game is evaluated minute by minute by an individual and critical incidents ie penalties and sendings off are noted. Each week a panel of evaluators sit and go through every referred critical incident and decide as to its correctness or not. The mark is awarded on this basis and merit lists are constructed from these marks. There is an appeals process if the referee is unhappy with his mark. Hopefully the referee will analyse his own game and be honest with himself. I always said my best assessor was myself and most of my learning came through watching dvd's with a critical eye.

They also have coaches whose main role is to improve them but I personally don't think referees coaching works.

• Like 2