BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Total Rebuild 2021/22

This is going to be a watershed Summer for the club. Lots of player contracts ending and talk of not spending to replace them so we will have to dip into the U23s, freebie and loan market - not necessarily in that order.

Out in the Summer

Downing, Bennett, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Rothwell, Bell, JRC, Douglas, Trybull, Elliott, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, (Mulgrew, Chapman)

Into last 12 months

Kaminski, Lenihan, Armstrong, Wharton, Davenport, Brereton, Buckley, Dolan, Nyambe (if option exists)

2 years or more

Ayala, Gallagher, Dack, Travis

Looks like a complete rebuild required. If Mowbray isn’t going to be around to oversee it then he really should go now and a new manager be brought in quickly. Sadly I can see there being nobody lined up when Mowbray does decide he’s had enough and we’ll scrap along with Venus or Johnson, or even Barr in the interim.

As always we look weak at CB, have nobody at LB and RB is a further problem. The rest of the team would pick itself with Armstrong or only saleable asset and assumed not to be sticking around for the ambitionless season of yet more stability. Of those out of contract how many would we want to renew? How many will want to stay?

No wonder the family silver is being weighed up!

77FC0A85-EBF4-4004-9B9D-49AE299818C4.thumb.jpeg.7ea1cfe0fc26145b0dd137da605e6083.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd keep Rothwell and Nyambe if possible but I wouldn't offer a contract to any of the others who are due to leave at the end of the season. 

We've got Pickering to come in at LB but we'll need another.

We need another CB. We are ok at RB if Nyambe stays for another year.

In CM we have Dav, Trav, Bucko, Rothwell. We need a couple more. I don't think any of the other ones we currently have deserve another contract - Johnson, Holtby, Downing, Evans and Trybull have been for the most part disappointing. 

AA will leave I'd imagine. Dack may be out for a lot of next season. That leaves us with BB, SG and Butterworth (if he's ever fit) and Vale (if he's good enough) So we need proper wide men/wingers and a couple of goalscorers. I'd say we need 3 or 4 quality attackers. 

Big summer ahead.

The caveat to all that is that with a better manager we may get a lot more out of some of those players. That's the biggest change that's needed. Nothing will change until Mowbray is replaced by someone better.  

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

One very very big question is where do the FFP rules stand at this point in time. If there is even the slightest bit of common sense they should be set aside not only for the upcoming season but several seasons to come (and reworked from the ground up). If not we are well and truly screwed. 

29 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'd keep Rothwell and Nyambe if possible but I wouldn't offer a contract to any of the others who are due to leave at the end of the season. 

We've got Pickering to come in at LB but we'll need another.

We need another CB. We are ok at RB if Nyambe stays for another year.

In CM we have Dav, Trav, Bucko, Rothwell. We need a couple more. I don't think any of the other ones we currently have deserve another contract - Johnson, Holtby, Downing, Evans and Trybull have been for the most part disappointing. 

AA will leave I'd imagine. Dack may be out for a lot of next season. That leaves us with BB, SG and Butterworth (if he's ever fit) and Vale (if he's good enough) So we need proper wide men/wingers and a couple of goalscorers. I'd say we need 3 or 4 quality attackers. 

Big summer ahead.

The caveat to all that is that with a better manager we may get a lot more out of some of those players. That's the biggest change that's needed. Nothing will change until Mowbray is replaced by someone better.  

Being ruthless, I wouldn't break the bank to keep Rothwell. We just can't rely on him to show often enough. He flatters to deceive. A very frustrating player.

I would not trust Tony to do the rebuild either. Some gems like Dack and Armstrong, but far too many duds and expensive ones too.

• Like 3

IF we bring in a new manager it's quite refreshing actually. The ones in bold below are deadwood. I'd offer JRC a new contract - I'm amazed they haven't already. I'd love to sell Armstrong too. 

Out in the Summer

Downing, Bennett, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Rothwell, Bell, JRC, Douglas, Trybull, Elliott, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, (Mulgrew, Chapman)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Huge gaps with no money to spend.  Its going to be impossible to finish any higher than 16th to 18th. Mowbray takes full responsibility for his piss poor transfer dealings. We need a shrewd operator in the summer. Wilder would be perfect 

Besides the £12m on two young strikers (I happen to think Brereton is a good player, but I'm in the minority there), the fact that we have 5 loanees at the club and are going backwards in the table is astounding. What, exactly, is he building?!

How Mowbray has the gall to turn up to training every week is beyond me. Man of honour indeed. 

• Like 2

It's a complete dereliction of duty how Rothwell has been utilised these past couple of seasons.  He should play every game. Can take players out of the game quickly and a bit of work on his final ball with a settled front line and he should be one of the best in the division. 

Mowbray out 

• Like 1

Complete rebuild is essential IMO as this lot aren’t good enough. I’d sell Armstrong to avoid FFP issues and provide the new manager a bit of a kitty, and if someone wants Lenihan for a few million I’d take that too. 

Kaminski, JRC, Wharton, Carter, the Crew lad, Travis, Davenport, Buckley, Dolan should hopefully all keep improving. The rest can all sod off. Needs a Furphy-like turnover of the squad, and a proper centre forward, another Danny Graham would do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

This is going to be a watershed Summer for the club. Lots of player contracts ending and talk of not spending to replace them so we will have to dip into the U23s, freebie and loan market - not necessarily in that order.

Think if we are going to appoint a new manager/head coach this summer then they can built their own team straight away. We need to bring through players from our under 23's. Plus a replacement for Armstrong. Luke Jephcott would be 1st choice

Out in the Summer

I would offer new contracts to Rothwell and JRC. Plus try to sign Trybull. 

Into last 12 months

Kaminski, Lenihan, Armstrong, Wharton, Davenport, Brereton, Buckley, Dolan, Nyambe (if option exists)

Buckley and Dolan signed a new contracts recently

If Mowbray isn’t going to be around to oversee it then he really should go now and a new manager be brought in quickly. 

They will review at the end of the season judging from comments by Sky Sports commentary team

have nobody at LB and RB is a further problem. 

We signed Pickering from Crewe on 4 years contract.

On right back I would bring a new right back with Pike as back up

• Like 1

Now that the season is dead, if they are going to move in another managerial direction at the end of the season, surely it makes sense to make the break now and allow the recruitment process to begin. If we wait until the end of the season we will then spend most of the summer replacing the manager then they will need time to assess what they require then we'll end up with the likes of Wes Brown and Gordon Greer signing and look how successful that was.

• Like 3

Think if TM is replaced, it will be a Head Coach, and therefore any recruitment process will have already started using the new department set up.

Kaminski and Pickering are the fruits of that labour so far and will be the system going forward.

It appears (I have no ITK knowledge btw) that TM will pay the price for poor signings such as Ayala and even Douglas. Those were his deals and he effectively has shown the owners that he should not be in charge of who the club signs.

I would agree.

• Like 1

We started this season with as close to a top 6 challenging squad as we've ever had. The manager telling us this is what he's been building for and that's where he expects this squad to be. Nobody wants to be hanging about in the middle every season and we have players who aren't here for that---- his very own words.

Ok multiple reasons mean we've fallen short, it happens there are no wands or guarantees. However to go from that to facing the prospect of starting next season with god knows how many not here and potentially not here is ridiculous.

Planning my backside it's clear as day every summer they just come up with another formula to wing it and hope for the best. This manager has put together a good squad but he hasn't the first iota what to really do with it.  Thank god for the youth because we are going to need it but we need someone to get the best from it.  Not just give people games for the sake of it.

• Like 6

Considering the vast numbers of players we need I would say it's pretty key we hold onto the few who are decent and not that injury prone. Absolute maximum number of decent players you could sign in a single window is, I would say, 8 so if your are looking for 15 your just going to pick up rubbish imo.

So keep - Kaminski, Nyambe, JRC, Pickering, Lenihan, Wharton, JRC, Rothwell, Buckley, Travis, Dack, Brereton, Dolan 

Release - Johnson, Holtby (sad to see him go as is quality but way too injury prone), Evans, Bell, Douglas, Downing, Davenport, Bennett, Branthwaite

Sign - Trybull, a new bloody pitch, CB, lb, rb, cm, cf x2, lw, rw

Promote from youth - McBride, Pike, Magloire, Carter

Successfully Sell - Armstrong

Try and sell but no one will have - Gallagher, Ayala

Loan again - Elliott, Harwood Bellis

Aim for a first team of.   

Kaminski

Nyambe.    Lenihan.   THB.   Pickering 

Travis.     Buckley

Elliott.      Rothwell.     Brereton

Top signing...

But as ever it will really come down to how many injuries we get.

We really really have to sign players who.di not have injury records.

• Like 1

The best action would be to rebuild without Venkys and before anyone shouts me down it's their mismanagement, misunderstanding, call it what you want that has led to this. They never did and never will understand how a football club the size of BRFC works from 6,000 miles away.

For the short term Venkys are here so the next best thing is to thank Tony, give him his notice and then appoint a new man bringing with him a new management team with a different approach. We have a skeleton of good young players, we have the infrastructure to build, we have the opportunity to bring in more loan players, but as at this season we have come off the rails. My hope is that the process has already begun.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Now that the season is dead, if they are going to move in another managerial direction at the end of the season, surely it makes sense to make the break now and allow the recruitment process to begin. If we wait until the end of the season we will then spend most of the summer replacing the manager then they will need time to assess what they require then we'll end up with the likes of Wes Brown and Gordon Greer signing and look how successful that was.

I've been saying the same for months now. A new manager needs time to assess he squad, look at potential new signings and plan pre season. Waiting until the end of the season is too late. In truth I really don't think it will happen and Mowbray will be allowed to meander through to the end of his contract. And who knows, under the current structure he's likely to get another deal.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I've been saying the same for months now. A new manager needs time to assess he squad, look at potential new signings and plan pre season. Waiting until the end of the season is too late. In truth I really don't think it will happen and Mowbray will be allowed to meander through to the end of his contract. And who knows, under the current structure he's likely to get another deal.

Totally agree, I think Mowbray will be here next season, with a much depleted squad with numbers made up of free transfers. History will be repeated with relegation a real threat.

When Souness took over mid season he had time to assess his squad and made signings to suit what he wanted. I guess on the other foot it could end up like when we installed Lambert mid season with the new man realising he has inherited a no win situation and walk before the end of this season.

11 hours ago, Mr. E said:

One very very big question is where do the FFP rules stand at this point in time. If there is even the slightest bit of common sense they should be set aside not only for the upcoming season but several seasons to come (and reworked from the ground up). If not we are well and truly screwed. 

The rules are still in place.

They were extended from the usual 3 cycles to 4 cycles.

We were screwed at 3 unless we sold Dack for £15m

We are screwed at 4.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

The rules are still in place.

They were extended from the usual 3 cycles to 4 cycles.

We were screwed at 3 unless we sold Dack for £15m

We are screwed at 4.

Sell Armstrong instead? Then get rid of Evans and Johnson off our books. Ideally get rid of Gallagher and Ayalas wages too but nobody is taking them. 

If Mowbray is here next season then a relegation battle is inevitable. If he does go then he is leaving the club in nearly as big as a mess as he found it. The turnover of players this summer is going to be huge due to the short term approach that Mowbray has taken in the transfer market. All the loan player will go back and the only one I'd like to see back is Elliott but let's face it he is to good to be coming back here.

Of the out of contract players the only 3 worth giving new deals to are Nymabe, Rothwell and JRC, I think JRC  will sign and probably Rothwell but I can't see Nyambe being here next season. The rest of the out of contract players are either to old, to injury prone or just not good enough. Armstrong will almost certainly be on his way as well.

That would leave us with a squad next season of.

GK's: Kaminski, Pears

RB: Pike

CB's: Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Cater, Magloire 

LB: Pickering

CM's: Rothwell, Davenport, Travis, Buckley

Attackers: Dolan, Brereton, JRC (I think right wing would be the position that suits him best), Dack (probably out for most the season though)

Strikers: Gallagher, McBride

That is an incredibly weak looking squad that needs a lot of bodies and quality adding to it. You have players like Magloire, Buckley and McBride who would benefit more from going out on loan. Then you have the likes of Davenport and Ayala who you can't rely on one bit. You could possibly add Chapman to the squad given the amount of players we are going to need he could after his successful loan spell prove to be a decent squad option for us.

I'd say in terms of incomings we need 9-11 players. A right back, at least 1 ideally 2 centre backs, a left back, at least 1 ideally 2 central midfielders, 2-3 players in the attacking positions and at least 1 striker ideally 2 then we could send McBride out on loan

the only way the club is going to be rebuilt is to get rid of mowbray and his assorted jumble of coaches,he`s constructed an ethos of complete mediocrity,you can`t blame venkys for this,they`ve given him plenty of financial backing and after nearly five seasons we are going nowhere,if you can`t move a club forward after that length of time then it`s clearly not going happen anytime

• Like 2

He's angling for another contract though i can see it, 4 or 5 years behind Brentford/Training center project that'll take years to implement. Saying 'i don't know' to the reporter when asked if he'll be here in summer.

It's all adding up to him turning around and saying if you want me to stay i need more time and security to set up the Brentford model.

It's coming i tell you.

• Like 1