BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Total Rebuild 2021/22

58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Mowbray is here next season then a relegation battle is inevitable. If he does go then he is leaving the club in nearly as big as a mess as he found it. The turnover of players this summer is going to be huge due to the short term approach that Mowbray has taken in the transfer market. All the loan player will go back and the only one I'd like to see back is Elliott but let's face it he is to good to be coming back here.

Of the out of contract players the only 3 worth giving new deals to are Nymabe, Rothwell and JRC, I think JRC  will sign and probably Rothwell but I can't see Nyambe being here next season. The rest of the out of contract players are either to old, to injury prone or just not good enough. Armstrong will almost certainly be on his way as well.

That would leave us with a squad next season of.

GK's: Kaminski, Pears

RB: Pike

CB's: Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Cater, Magloire 

LB: Pickering

CM's: Rothwell, Davenport, Travis, Buckley

Attackers: Dolan, Brereton, JRC (I think right wing would be the position that suits him best), Dack (probably out for most the season though)

Strikers: Gallagher, McBride

That is an incredibly weak looking squad that needs a lot of bodies and quality adding to it. You have players like Magloire, Buckley and McBride who would benefit more from going out on loan. Then you have the likes of Davenport and Ayala who you can't rely on one bit. You could possibly add Chapman to the squad given the amount of players we are going to need he could after his successful loan spell prove to be a decent squad option for us.

I'd say in terms of incomings we need 9-11 players. A right back, at least 1 ideally 2 centre backs, a left back, at least 1 ideally 2 central midfielders, 2-3 players in the attacking positions and at least 1 striker ideally 2 then we could send McBride out on loan

Chapman is out of contract in the summer isn't he?

• Like 1

In regards to the playing squad, and of course whilst acknowledging the obvious deficiencies elsewhere, especially in defence, my biggest fear is in attack.

Since we got promoted, we have always had a goalscorer or 2 which has ensured that we have never really looked over our shoulder, firstly Graham and Dack and now Armstrong. I think it is imperative that assuming that Armstrong leaves, Dack is out for the long term and even Elliott goes back, we prioritise the attack with 3 new players across that forward line, as the 3 we currently have is as impotent a Championship forward line as you can wish to see.

Last weekend was supoosedly the signal of a more effective Rovers without our top goalscorer and his selfish nature, but the reality is that in the 4 games that he has missed, we have scored 3 goals, 2 from the now stricken Dack and a lucky one off Gallaghers torso. If we leave the onus on the 12m duo to step up to the plate, plus a kid who we need to really weigh up if he is better served being an impact sub here or a regular out on loan elsewhere, then we will be in deep trouble. 

The other areas do need addressing too. Potential solutions such as Ayala, Holtby and Davenport have proved far too flimsy to count upon, making things a lot more difficult.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

He's angling for another contract though i can see it, 4 or 5 years behind Brentford/Training center project that'll take years to implement. Saying 'i don't know' to the reporter when asked if he'll be here in summer.

It's all adding up to him turning around and saying if you want me to stay i need more time and security to set up the Brentford model.

It's coming i tell you.

I genuinely won't be here if that happens.

• Like 2

From those we have out of contract i would let go all except for:

Nyambe, JRC, Rothwell and also (i will explain later) bell. If more than two of those leaves then its a big job on top of an already big job.

Armstrong will leave. We won't get what we want and with newcastle taking a fair wedge (40%) and some being siphoned off to cover running costs we aren't going to have a ton of money to fund this rebuild. 

I'd be surprised if we could get anyone to pay money for gallagher so he can be kept as a backup striker (not winger). 

At cb, Ayala we won't shift and he won't be fit either. Magloire should be in the squad as 4th choice cb. Wharton unlikely to be fit until January. I would maybe take THB back for another season, but in general we need to cut down on our loans.

We need to be having a look at Pike now to see if he is good enough to back up nyambe (or JRC should clause in nyambes not exist). Pickering left back. Bell back up, a lot of people will disagree with this but we are going to need so many players that a back up left back should not be prioritised, and bell won't be on a lot of money.

Dacks injury is a huge blow for next season as he was going to be the goals. I would attempt to sign Trybull if the price works out, I rate him. If Johnson and Holtby were on significantly reduced contracts or pay as you play then perhaps keep them but under no circumstances should we offer similar contracts to what they are on now.

Ideally, buckley, travis, davenport, trybull,Rothwell and a fit dack would have been okay. Now we need one more, i have this idea of JRC in the cm 3 but that would leave us short elsewhere. 

We would need a winger to replace elliot and give another option. 

So best case scenario we need 2 centre halfs, a midfielder and a winger and a striker

Worst case we need that plus a right back, left back and another midfielder 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I noticed that Crewe are 3 down to Burton, goals against seem a regular occurance. Will Pickering come in and make a difference to our defence as assumed?

And Burton have Hayden Carter playing who Mowbray sent out on loan to bring in two kids from Premier League clubs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

In regards to the playing squad, and of course whilst acknowledging the obvious deficiencies elsewhere, especially in defence, my biggest fear is in attack.

Since we got promoted, we have always had a goalscorer or 2 which has ensured that we have never really looked over our shoulder, firstly Graham and Dack and now Armstrong. I think it is imperative that assuming that Armstrong leaves, Dack is out for the long term and even Elliott goes back, we prioritise the attack with 3 new players across that forward line, as the 3 we currently have is as impotent a Championship forward line as you can wish to see.

Thats where you hope that Rovers recruitment, scouting and Data analysis team already have been identifying potential replacements for Armstrong. Do you yourself have any suggestions for potential replacement for Armstrong?

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I noticed that Crewe are 3 down to Burton, goals against seem a regular occurance. Will Pickering come in and make a difference to our defence as assumed?

was any of the goals his fault? 

surely it depends on what formation we are playing and he is play in the left side of defence?

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

You have players like Magloire, Buckley and McBride who would benefit more from going out on loan.

I would use Maglorie and Buckley will be part of first team squad next season. Loaning Buckley would be huge mistake

10 hours ago, bringdunnback said:

Think if TM is replaced, it will be a Head Coach, and therefore any recruitment process will have already started using the new department set up.

Kaminski and Pickering are the fruits of that labour so far and will be the system going forward.

It appears (I have no ITK knowledge btw) that TM will pay the price for poor signings such as Ayala and even Douglas. Those were his deals and he effectively has shown the owners that he should not be in charge of who the club signs.

I would agree.

I think Mowbray will pay the price for Ayala signing. Was a crazy signing given his track down with injuries. 

I think Rovers owners and Pasha need to decide on what type of structure they want from the Football side of the club going forward

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thats where you hope that Rovers recruitment, scouting and Data analysis team already have been identifying potential replacements for Armstrong. Do you yourself have any suggestions for potential replacement for Armstrong?

was any of the goals his fault? 

surely it depends on what formation we are playing and he is play in the left side of defence?

No, surely it should be the job of a supposedly revamped scouting network to come up with signings across the team, but my point is that we need a few attackers as the front 3 yesterday would struggle to get 20 between them in a season and without serious reinforcements I expect we will be very much in a dogfight next season. Nothing to look forward to with Rovers.

I have no idea, I havent watched Pickering as havent the majority hence why I am skeptical as to how brilliant a signing he is.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Rovers owners and Pasha need to decide on what type of structure they want from the Football side of the club going forward

Surely that depends on a certain sports agency deciding which one of it's clients requires the Rovers gig

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, surely it should be the job of a supposedly revamped scouting network to come up with signings across the team, but my point is that we need a few attackers as the front 3 yesterday would struggle to get 20 between them in a season and without serious reinforcements I expect we will be very much in a dogfight next season. Nothing to look forward to with Rovers.

Well Thats my point is that the Recruitmemt, scouting and Data analysis will hopefully already have a shortlist ready. I hope we move for Luke Jephcott from Plymouth or Woodrow from Barnsley. 

on Gallagher, Brereton and Dolan. If Gallagher was played up front and in the right role then maybe we would see a much better goal return from him. He has scored goals when played up front. Brereton has 5 goals this season from the wide role so without the injury, he could have got double figures. Dolan is still very young and raw

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have no idea, I havent watched Pickering as havent the majority hence why I am skeptical as to how brilliant a signing he is.

Have you watch any highlights of Crewe games since Pickering signed here? 

You are buying potential in Pickering and compare to how bad both Bell and Douglas been this season can he be any worse?

Long post below. In short:

Out all the older deadwood, keep Nyambe, JRC, Rothwell and Bell. In: THB plus one more CB. In: Stefan Johansen. Sell: Arma and Gally. Buy: central striker and genuine winger. Loans to then add depth.

We do need a major rebuild in the summer. That's clear to see. I think most importantly we need fresh ideas. A trait of Mowbray is being stubborn. He's stuck to his guns with 433. At times it can be a commendable quality. But then it becomes the definition of insanity. A new manager with fresh ideas and more flexibility is the first change.

Secondly JRC, Nyambe and Rothwell all have to stay. The older players with contacts up are going to result in a high turnover anyway. Those 3 are assets but we also need some level of continuity. 

In terms of specifics. 

Gk: fine

Defense: 

1. Keep our right backs

2. Bring THB back in. He's not prem quality yet and is a lot better than Branthwaite. One more perm addition then needed. That gives us three and 1 crock in Ayala. Giving time for Wharton to come back.

3. Tin hat but I'd offer Bell a new deal. Its him or Douglas. They are both crap. But Bell is cheaper and a lot younger. Douglas is a 32yr old with the legs of a 38yr old

Midfield: 

1. Let all the aging bunch go. It leaves us with Trav, Davenport, Buckley. I'd like to see JRC given a role here too and Rothwell in the 10.

2. We need one more though. I like Trybull. But only if the price is right. The player I'd be going for is Stephan Johansson. 30 and one year left on his deal. Experienced head and has turned QPR's form around since going on loan there. If Fulham stay up he should be available. 

3. Rothwell further forwards, being yelled at that even though he loves a run from deep. That's not where he is going to damage teams from. It's no wonder we say he blows hot and cold when that's where he often drifts too. Competition is scarce though. Dolan? Another body may be needed. 

Attack: 

1. Major, major changes needed. We are going to have to cash in on Arma. But without him we are screwed. A few names have been floating around and you'd hope the club has a plan as they've had enough time to prep for this eventuality and not go with what the next option is.

2. One of two things has to happen. Gally and Breo need to share the central striker role or at least one of them be sold. If one goes. For me its Gallagher every time. We'll take a big hit. Could we get 1.5 million. I'm not sure. Its not worked out. His touch isn't good enough and the ball doesn't stick to him. Mowbray playing him as a winger has destroyed him though.

3. We need genuine width. I don't think Dolan is the answer there. I actually think he's poor out wide. JRC could again do a role wide right. But we are desperate for some speed and flair out there.

Finally. Contacts expiring in the next 2 years need to be sorted. Its criminal what has been allowed to happen with some of our assets. There is no journey with that kind of negligence and it needs to now be a priority. 

• Like 1

Its frightening as to the state of the squad at the moment even if we was to use the squad to plan towards next season, there is very little to go with.

Goalkeeper wise, Kaminski is obviously fine, Pears is dodgy backup but not the most pressing concern.

Defence is a bombshell. Lenihan needs to stay but has a year left, as with many, no sign of an extension so maybe we will have to sell? Lumbered with Ayala who we cant rely on and Wharton who will seemingly be out well into next season, and then kids beyond who may have had a few decent games at lower levels but there are still massive question marks. Full back is little better, we have a left back on loan at Crewe who garnered much excitement, will he come in and improve things dramatically? Then 2 out of contract left backs, one inconsistent and one totally awful. At right back, Nyambe seems destined to leave, Rankin Costello is also out of contract, I question if he is even a right back, there are no signs of renewal and he seems prone to injury, and then Bennett who should leave hopefully.

Midfield is full of players who are out of contract at the end of the season, Rothwell, Holtby, Evans, Trybull and Johnson. Would anyone be gutted if we lost any of those in particular? All players who you could argue if they stayed fit, if they became more consistent, if this happened or that happened they would be good, but so many ifs and buts. Then you have Downing who should be allowed to leave and Davenport who like Ayala and Rankin Costello seemed to be made of glass which means we cant rely on them. So then you look at what is left, who prior to the last week had not shown real signs of competence at this level, and Travis who is perhaps a little overrated but will need to be key going forward. Its a minefield in regards to decision making and forward planning.

In attack, again we need an overhaul when our sole source of goals inevitably leaves, with a huge chunk of money going elsewhere. A potential secondary source of goals and also entertainment is out for another season, and our primary creator will go back to Liverpool. I fear that the expectation will be for Gallagher and Brereton to be expected to step up, with no signs that suggest that they are capable of doing so. And Dolan, for me the question is impact sub or loan out, obvious assets but equally even a 5 yard pass comes only after 5 stepovers, so raw at this stage.

And then the manager who I wouldnt be surprised to see still in a job next season.

So what is there to build around?

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 23:33, Stuart said:

This is going to be a watershed Summer for the club. Lots of player contracts ending and talk of not spending to replace them so we will have to dip into the U23s, freebie and loan market - not necessarily in that order.

Out in the Summer

Downing, Bennett, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Rothwell, Bell, JRC, Douglas, Trybull, Elliott, Harwood-Bellis, Branthwaite, (Mulgrew, Chapman)

Into last 12 months

Kaminski, Lenihan, Armstrong, Wharton, Davenport, Brereton, Buckley, Dolan, Nyambe (if option exists)

2 years or more

Ayala, Gallagher, Dack, Travis

Looks like a complete rebuild required. If Mowbray isn’t going to be around to oversee it then he really should go now and a new manager be brought in quickly. Sadly I can see there being nobody lined up when Mowbray does decide he’s had enough and we’ll scrap along with Venus or Johnson, or even Barr in the interim.

As always we look weak at CB, have nobody at LB and RB is a further problem. The rest of the team would pick itself with Armstrong or only saleable asset and assumed not to be sticking around for the ambitionless season of yet more stability. Of those out of contract how many would we want to renew? How many will want to stay?

No wonder the family silver is being weighed up!

77FC0A85-EBF4-4004-9B9D-49AE299818C4.thumb.jpeg.7ea1cfe0fc26145b0dd137da605e6083.jpeg

Put Pickering and Armstrong in there and it's not the worst starting 11 

Any of those midfielders who are out of contract ,  could potentially re-sign, if they don't, we will have their wages freed up. It's not the worst situation. I think we will still have some decent options left and we will surely add to that. 

I think the issue that's scaring me is it's very likely the manager will be here. What can we as fans do if that's what they decide? So it'll be that atmosphere again like it was with Kean. I'm not comparing the 2 men at all.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So what is there to build around?

Kaminski, JRC, Lenihan, Pickering, Buckley, Travis, Rothwell, Dolan, Brereton and Gallagher. Plus few young players like Wharton, Pike, Whitehall, Carter. 

We need some experience signings in this summer. Plus a new manager. I would appoint Wilder if given the chance. 

Here are few of my suggestions for potential signings

Centre back. Jake Cooper from Millwall

Right back. Moses Odubajo from Brentford or Jack Hunt from Bristol City. Both out of contract in summer

Left back. Matt Penney from Sheffield Wednesday. Ribeiro from Forest. Both of contract in summer

left winger position Sheffield Wednesday Adam Reach. out of contract in the summer.

Centre midfielder would be Tom Trybull.

Replacement for Armstrong.  I would go for Luke Jephcott from Plymouth or Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley. cost 3 mil either. Maybe a loan bid for Hugill from Norwich and I would sell Gallagher if we could bring in him. But I feel playing Gallagher as a striker he would score goals and perform better then he is now in this wide role

We could play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2. 

What do you think?.