BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Total Rebuild 2021/22

3 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

I'm a firm believer in having a player under contract, so that the club receives a transfer fee, if the player leaves. I'd make an exception for Bennett.

it's also hard to know exactly what we've got, when players are played out of position so much and when there's no apparent style or formation. Mowbray dislikes 4231 and insists on playing 433, despite 4231 fitting more of the squad.

I've reached the same deeply suspicious stage of injuries under Mowbray as I did under Coyle.

Exactly what I was trying to get at  but put far more succinctly. I've lost track of formations this year but on top of a 4-2-3-1 we have played two variants of 4-3-3, including one with a false 9, a 5-3-2 and a 4-2-2-2. Elliott for example has played wide right in the midfield 3 and front 3 of a 4-3-3, central midfield (I think) and a false 9.  No wonder we have no consistency when formations and where players play in them shift around so much! 

Limited players can thrive in a good formation and plan whereas we hinder even the most talented players in the squad by chopping and changing anything. Judging in the midst of all our changes is very hard to do. 

Y’all have covered the major needs well, those out of contract, etc, so I will give a hearty, “amen” to all that has been said. 

The only thing I would say to a “total rebuild” is, that’s an expensive proposition for anybody, let alone this club. 

I think if we got a new manager, and re-signed 2-3 of those needed, with 1-2 permanent additions, most of us would be excited, the ol’ blood would be pulsing strongly again for the blue & white. 

I stood by him a long time-maybe too long: The fly in the ointment would be TM staying... we’ve seen enough of mid-table, at best. It’s going to take a new man with fresh ideas and to generate some excitement to pull us up anywhere from 6th-12th. A new manager, who can recruit soundly and make tactical decisions, with a personality, would mean a lot to the club. 

On 13/03/2021 at 13:03, K-Hod said:

The fact that we are looking at a total rebuild of the squad, is such a damning indictment of his four years here so far.

I think this is very true. 

Aside from Adam Armstrong, I can't think of a player who looks to be improving his game and stats. Lewis Travis and Darragh Lenihan made progress and, whether for injuries, or other reasons, seem to have gone backwards or, at least, been inconsistent. Same for Nyambe, Rothwell and Kaminski.

I fear for the progress of Dolan, Buckley and JRC because there is little precedent for consistent player development in Rovers first team lately. I must give Mowbray credit, however, for persevering with Buckley in the first place.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Kaminski was only signed on a 2 year deal, right? Looks every inch a Prem goalie so could be one we lose this summer for a fee unless we want to lose him on a free. Can't see a Belgium international being happy lower midtable in the Championship. 

Reported as two years with the option of an additional one year. No idea why it's so short. 

The contracts we as a club offer make no sense at all to me.

30 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Reported as two years with the option of an additional one year. No idea why it's so short. 

Not many signing on fees and %s to be made if you've got a good squad of 20 odd players all under 4-5 year contracts.

10 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

And to prove your point Pears got a four year deal but if you scratch the surface the possible answer is there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Meesh said:

Freebies and loans. Bet the new guy can't wait.

Most clubs transfers will be low transfer fees, free transfers and strikers. 

But if we do sale Armstrong then its important we use that money to improve the entire squad and not just use that money on 1 or 2 players

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we bring in a new manager/head coach now or at the end of the season it gives that new guy a chance to build his own squad from day one. 

An exciting prospect for the new guy 

Think I agree with this. Well exciting might be pushing it given our finances but attractive. They can get players - even limited ones - who suit the system they want. Which is a big contrast to now where most players don't fit together in the same system. 

Of course that assumes that they have control over transfers (unlikely) and TM goes (very unlikely).

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Most clubs transfers will be low transfer fees, free transfers and strikers. 

But if we do sale Armstrong then its important we use that money to improve the entire squad and not just use that money on 1 or 2 players

Be lucky to get more than £20m for Armstrong at the moment I'd say. Take off Newcastle's 40% and we're down to £12m.

Then do you think the owners would make the whole amount available for re-investment?

I'd say you might be able to get a couple of good uns in if Armstrong was sold (and Mowbray wasn't picking 'em) but to say we could revamp the entire squad on the back of a sale is a bit optimistic I think.

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Be lucky to get more than £20m for Armstrong at the moment I'd say. Take off Newcastle's 40% and we're down to £12m.

Not sure it will be anything like that Rev.  Surely his contract is due the end of next season so that will reduce the fee....plus he isn't exactly blessed with a football brain that you need at the highest level.  His pace isn't anything special at that level and my view is that a scouting report would highlight a few "must improves"... squad player at best for a lower prem team.

Edited by Sparks Rover

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not sure it will be anything like that Rev.  Surely his contract is due the end of next season so that will reduce the fee....plus he isn't exactly blessed with a football brain that you need at the highest level.  His pace isn't anything special at that level and my view is that a scouting report would highlight a few "must improves"... squad player at best for a lower prem team.

You might be right, but I was partially agreeing with you in pointing out that Chaddy was possibly being optimistic in saying we could revamp the entire squad on the back of an Armstrong sale.

I think some of the assessments of Armstrong have been a bit harsh recently, he's the least of our problems, a bit like saying it was Rhodes' fault we never made the playoffs when we had dollopers like Jason Lowe in other areas of the pitch!

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You might be right, but I was partially agreeing with you in pointing out that Chaddy was possibly being optimistic in saying we could revamp the entire squad on the back of an Armstrong sale.

I think some of the assessments of Armstrong have been a bit harsh recently, he's the least of our problems, a bit like saying it was Rhodes' fault we never made the playoffs when we had dollopers like Jason Lowe in other areas of the pitch!

Agreed on Armstrong, if he had a competent partner he might pass to them.  Probably thinks there's no point passing to Bill and Ben 

On 13/03/2021 at 02:11, Exiled in Toronto said:

Complete rebuild is essential IMO as this lot aren’t good enough. I’d sell Armstrong to avoid FFP issues and provide the new manager a bit of a kitty, and if someone wants Lenihan for a few million I’d take that too. 

Kaminski, JRC, Wharton, Carter, the Crew lad, Travis, Davenport, Buckley, Dolan should hopefully all keep improving. The rest can all sod off. Needs a Furphy-like turnover of the squad, and a proper centre forward, another Danny Graham would do.

I always wondered whether that right winger Gallagher could be converted to a centre forward 🤣

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Then do you think the owners would make the whole amount available for re-investment?

I'd say you might be able to get a couple of good uns in if Armstrong was sold (and Mowbray wasn't picking 'em) but to say we could revamp the entire squad on the back of a sale is a bit optimistic I think.

Firstly, who knows what they will do about that whole amount. But give that money and the same wage budget as this year and a good manager would get us top 6 IMO

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Agreed on Armstrong, if he had a competent partner he might pass to them.  Probably thinks there's no point passing to Bill and Ben 

IMO Armstrong shooting on sight is more to do with the success he had last season shooting from range. I blame the coaches - he has excellent long range shooting ability - but if a defender knows you are going to shoot you are easier to close down. However if he doesn't know whether you are shooting or laying the ball off - there is then a split second of indecision. Basically he has become too predictable.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

As a first step towards this likely rebuild or "evolution" of the team, to put it politely, can I suggest that the club looks to tie Connor McBride down to a longer contract, or at least, exercise any option to extend, if this hasn't yet been done? He was signed on a 2 year deal in 2020. He's led Rovers U23 to second in the league, behind Man City, scoring plenty of goals, aided by being the team's penalty taker. (Supported by other players in the team, of course.)

Based on my very limited viewing of him, I would not be mistaken into thinking of him as a pure goalscorer. He resembles a No.10 or attacking midfielder who likes to drop deep and pick out passes. It seems (again, based on my limited viewing), as a pairing, Sam Burns plays the main forward role and McBride drops to link play. However, he has been utilised as a No.9, I believe, so could develop into a more typical striker.

I was a bit puzzled when Rovers signed him, having seen some underwhelming stats of his goal record on loan from Celtic at Stenhousemuir but he looks a good signing, so a lot of credit to those who brought him to the club. Of course, we know that a good reserve strike record does not prove anything, in itself, but I think McBride has a lot to his game that, with development, could make him a first team player one day.

I think Isaac Whitehall, the CM, is one to look to keep at the club and give chances to, as well.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

As a first step towards this likely rebuild or "evolution" of the team, to put it politely, can I suggest that the club looks to tie Connor McBride down to a longer contract, or at least, exercise any option to extend, if this hasn't yet been done? He was signed on a 2 year deal in 2020. 

I'm sure there was an optional 12 month extension on his initial contract - which I assume they'll exercise as late as possible.