BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dougan and the 1960 Cup Final ....

1 hour ago, bazza said:

As I understand it he posted (in a post box) his transfer request on the day before the final or on the morning of the final. It was definitely before the game was played. The manager wouldn't have got it until Monday morning. No-one knew he wanted a move.

So he hates the club and wants away yet declares himself fit to play when he obviously wasn't. Scum bag.

Nothing compared to drunkenly causing the death of a young man in a car crash in the grand scheme of things I suppose. My dad wasn’t one to slag footballers off (though he was never a lover of Stan Matthews for some reason) but he hated Dougan with a passion and that was reason enough for me to detest him.

On 24/03/2021 at 15:37, oldjamfan1 said:

Staggering.

Thomson received an absolute discharge after paying four shillings (20 pence) for court costs.

Death by dangerous driving is a jailable offence now. Both he and Dougan would probably have ended up behind bars these days

11 minutes ago, renrag said:

Your dad’s aversion to Matthews might have had something to do with Bill Eckersley’s testimonial. Matthews had agreed to play and then pulled out at the last minute, allegedly because he wanted a fee

Disgusting...looks like greed has always blighted our beautiful game.

On 27/03/2021 at 09:43, renrag said:

Your dad’s aversion to Matthews might have had something to do with Bill Eckersley’s testimonial. Matthews had agreed to play and then pulled out at the last minute, allegedly because he wanted a fee

100 guineas was the figure quoted by Ronnie Clayton. His name did appear on the team sheet in the programme so he still probably contributed to a few more people turning up.

Well I went to Bills testimonial with a view to seeing Matthews playing. He obviously didn’t play and it came out that he had wanted a fee. I disliked the greedy bar steward from that day onward. Mind you he would fit in well with many of today’s mercenaries.