BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Bristol City - 17/03/21

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

That's what it is great, great description.

EXCUSE CULTURE/MENTALITY

All comes from the main man he gets them in every week before a ball is kicked.

I've worked in HR a good while now and I have seen it from managers. Excuse culture also known as a covering your arse culture. Very toxic and leads to serious unprodutivesness because the team know they can get away without giving their best. 

Can see it a mile away here now 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without a doubt the most dull, turgid, un-inspiring, boring, clueless, football I’ve ever seen at Ewood and I started in 1961. Carry on with this guy and they’ll be able to shut three stands and get everybody who turns up into the Blackburn End next season.

So sad, so true. 

I’ve just been reading a quote from an old time Big Club player about their problems.

” It doesn’t matter who you put in charge, if the culture isn’t quite right there are always going to be things that surface to the top. Unless someone can go in and have a good sweep out , you are just creating more trouble “.

The time for our “ good sweep out “ is now.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Looking at the players Instagram's, I wonder do they get sick of writing "not the result we deserved" after every game? 

Mowbrays excuse culture deeply ingrained in the club now. They genuinely think they have been hard done by and conspired against this season. 

Yup, how can they continue to bemoan luck as if such large amounts of possession means they automatically deserve to win? The better chances fell to Bristol. If we peppered their goal all match and were undone by a single chance for the opposition, fine... 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Without a doubt the most dull, turgid, un-inspiring, boring, clueless, football I’ve ever seen at Ewood and I started in 1961. Carry on with this guy and they’ll be able to shut three stands and get everybody who turns up into the Blackburn End next season.

And still conform to social distancing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Some of us said so at the time but got the usual shouting down. Possibly by the same people that thought signing Brererton and Gallagher were good ideas as well.

I was one of those. Suggested at the time that we needed another CB rather than wasting our last squad spot on ANOTHER midfielder. Not a slight on Downing as he still has something to offer but not what was needed.

I was jumped and told we had more than enough cover at the back with Ayala, Lenihan, Wharton, and Williams. Few months later we are playing with Johnson at the back and loaning in two kids.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I was one of those. Suggested at the time that we needed another CB rather than wasting our last squad spot on ANOTHER midfielder. Not a slight on Downing as he still has something to offer but not what was needed.

I was jumped and told we had more than enough cover at the back with Ayala, Lenihan, Wharton, and Williams. Few months later we are playing with Johnson at the back and loaning in two kids.

Didn't that work out great? Shambles 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didn't that work out great? Shambles 

Yup, though "Nyambe can cover there too" was a response to 3 of that 4 regularly known to pick up injuries. Admittedly, Wharton was not to be expected but Williams has lots of previous, Ayala same at Boro, and Lenihan often picks up an injury or two each season (though has been good on that score so far this one. 

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I’ve also been saying we are a club without a genuine centre forward on the books.

5 minutes ago, den said:

I’ve also been saying we are a club without a genuine centre forward on the books.

Yeah, another CF would have come in before another midfielder for me too. Probably play on the wing but hey-ho.

Edited by JacknOry

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s a VERY good point that his team was sussed out by November. Lots of people (on social media) latching onto the excuses being spewed out about defensive injuries etc...which are relevant but your defence being depleted does not absolve your manager or the rest of their team of their duty to break teams down. If you can’t defend then try to win 5-4 don’t blame the fact that you cannot break teams down on injuries to Wharton and Ayala!!?

Rovers have not played really well since November 24th, Preston away. The matches are literally the same every week. Loads of possession, no cutting edge and a stupid mistake, lose the game.

Who is addressing this? 

Iv'e trumpeted on all season as well you probably know about this so called style of football not suiting this squad. Or certainly not suiting it to get the maximum from it regardless of a few missing.

Of course the early season trouncings get pointed to and thank god for those otherwise we'd be in a horrific mess. However i believe we were playing different them far more front foot higher tempo stuff.  Ok a few injuries namely Travis might have disrupted that but a revert to type was inevitable anyway. He did it last season after we started well after lockdown then when we'd all to play for he reeled them in again. A fact highlighted by the reluctantly critical LT reporter.

I just don't understand the mindset and it's never been something i can buy into. It really is just applied to plod on and see what happens. I wouldn't mind as much if he stood up a while back and said it's not good enough we are falling well short of our targets but we'll keep trying.

He doesn't though he just reels off excuse after excuse - some valid - before games even. That's not leadership he just isn't a leader he acts like an advisor rather than a driving force. I'm 100% convinced that someone with a bit more bullishness and who likes a more balanced regular starting 11 would be doing far better with what is still at his disposal. Ok might not be in the play offs but this is like frigging toothache with him now, it never gets real bad but it won't go away until it's pulled out. It'll only rot away and feel worse.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Some of us said so at the time but got the usual shouting down. Possibly by the same people that thought signing Brererton and Gallagher were good ideas as well.

I just didn't think there was any point to it this season at all because he'd hardly get used. Just a complete waste of a wage, i know his experience might be useful to have around but does he even train every day now at his age ?

Seeing as we were still short in areas and so called watching the pennies that money should have gone elsewhere. As should one of the keeper wages, we needed good back up for years and didn't get it. Then they bring in 3 at once !!!

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Iv'e trumpeted on all season as well you probably know about this so called style of football not suiting this squad. Or certainly not suiting it to get the maximum from it regardless of a few missing.

Of course the early season trouncings get pointed to and thank god for those otherwise we'd be in a horrific mess. However i believe we were playing different them far more front foot higher tempo stuff.  Ok a few injuries namely Travis might have disrupted that but a revert to type was inevitable anyway. He did it last season after we started well after lockdown then when we'd all to play for he reeled them in again. A fact highlighted by the reluctantly critical LT reporter.

I just don't understand the mindset and it's never been something i can buy into. It really is just applied to plod on and see what happens. I wouldn't mind as much if he stood up a while back and said it's not good enough we are falling well short of our targets but we'll keep trying.

He doesn't though he just reels off excuse after excuse - some valid - before games even. That's not leadership he just isn't a leader he acts like an advisor rather than a driving force. I'm 100% convinced that someone with a bit more bullishness and who likes a more balanced regular starting 11 would be doing far better with what is still at his disposal. Ok might not be in the play offs but this is like frigging toothache with him now, it never gets real bad but it won't go away until it's pulled out. It'll only rot away and feel worse.

The games Mowbray refers to "at the start" were Wycombe and Coventry. 2 promoted teams who I would day were naïve in their approach to playing against us and the league in general. It's outrageous that Mowbray can just get away with spouting it game after game unchallenged. The chances of us hammering anyone now look fairly non-existent.

Mowbray out  

• Like 2

Only a few games ago it was the pitch to blame for why we couldn't play our football style properly and create chances. Now on the very same pitch we've somehow managed to play our football but not create chances. Players aren't good enough now apparently, if we'd lost that one nil it would've been the pitch again.

Another two sides have been and taken 4 points from Ewood in the space of a few days, yet in his eyes we are still doing ok.

He's operating in a world of delusion only this club in this era would tolerate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

This is what I have never understood; we loan out two of our own, then bring in two loaners, one of which isn’t as good as who we loaned out ... if we have people who can correctly identify talent, how does this make any sense? Financial or otherwise? 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The games Mowbray refers to "at the start" were Wycombe and Coventry. 2 promoted teams who I would day were naïve in their approach to playing against us and the league in general. It's outrageous that Mowbray can just get away with spouting it game after game unchallenged. The chances of us hammering anyone now look fairly non-existent.

Mowbray out  

They were also reduced to 10men 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray out  

Those games along with Derby and Preston have achieved almost mythical status this season as time has passed and we've slipped down the table.

But let's remember that against Wycombe, Preston and Coventry we had a man advantage for long spells and against Coventry and Preston we were handed early penalties that set us on our way.

Of course they were committed by opposition struggling to cope with us but those scorelines were built on the above advantages.

It has been weary, weary stuff now since November.

Poor performances, poor results, relegation form.

Only at Rovers does a 4 month long run of dire results and performances see the manager still in place, barely a whisper of serious pressure and club commentators describing results as "a concern".

Every day that goes by now with this limping along is a day less to find a decent new manager, a day less for him to assess the squad and sort things out for next season.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Those games along with Derby and Preston have achieved almost mythical status this season as time has passed and we've slipped down the table.

But let's remember that against Wycombe, Preston and Coventry we had a man advantage for long spells and against Coventry and Preston we were handed early penalties that set us on our way.

Of course they were committed by opposition struggling to cope with us but those scorelines were built on the above advantages.

It has been weary, weary stuff now since November.

Poor performances, poor results, relegation form.

Only at Rovers does a 4 month long run of dire results and performances see the manager still in place, barely a whisper of serious pressure and club commentators describing results as "a concern".

Every day that goes by now with this limping along is a day less to find a decent new manager, a day less for him to assess the squad and sort things out for next season.

He shouldn't be given free reign to bring those games up by reporters. It's ridiculous. It's actually embarassing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Exactly, I think we have a squad desperately lacking in quality that our manager has assembled which for some reason people felt was capable of a top 6 push.

We have some good players for this league but thanks to the manager it's also a very unbalanced squad, and rudderless.

I don't subscribe to the belief that Rovers are a 15th placed Championship team and should know their place. Under better management we'd be further up the table. With the right manager and a bit of investment, definitely promotion contenders. That is if you consider some of the teams currently in the mix, who to be honest aren't great but have better balanced squad and don't suffer from an imbalanced manager.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, booth said:

We have some good players for this league but thanks to the manager it's also a very unbalanced squad, and rudderless.

I don't subscribe to the belief that Rovers are a 15th placed Championship team and should know their place. Under better management we'd be further up the table. With the right manager and a bit of investment, definitely promotion contenders. That is if you consider some of the teams currently in the mix, who to be honest aren't great but have better balanced squad and don't suffer from an imbalanced manager.

Me neither, im certainly not suggesting that we should accept being 15th. Teams dont finish in an order exactly based on the quality of their squads which is obviously subjective anyway and perhaps our squad whilst not being top 6 calibre is better than 15th. A very good manager for one is a variable which will be able to get more than average out of your players.

The league position suggests that our team is no better than the team we had in our first season in this league, most would disagree but I am not sure it is to be honest.

Which of our players would you describe as good, and which of those are top 6 calibre?

I just think that it is not just the case that a new manager will come in and suddenly change the fortunes of these players overnight. Part of the reason as to why we need a new manager is because Mowbray has not built a very good squad of players and with many about to go out of contract and our sole asset seemingly being primed for a sale, it is the perfect chance for a change of direction. 

40 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

This is what I have never understood; we loan out two of our own, then bring in two loaners, one of which isn’t as good as who we loaned out ... if we have people who can correctly identify talent, how does this make any sense? Financial or otherwise? 

It doesnt really. And then we are under pressure to play said kids which we wouldnt be with our own. Elliott has not been on his game lately and if our own would not get selected. Will never forget him bringing on THB to play FB one game - just because Pep wants him to play loads. 

I actually think THB is the better of the two but building a side on loans like this forces us to play players when they should be dropped when not in form. 

I can only imagine this all to do with favours. Show that you will regularly play PL loans from big clubs and the next time you want the best rated kids, such as Elliott, you go to the top of the pile

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Me neither, im certainly not suggesting that we should accept being 15th. Teams dont finish in an order exactly based on the quality of their squads which is obviously subjective anyway and perhaps our squad whilst not being top 6 calibre is better than 15th. A very good manager for one is a variable which will be able to get more than average out of your players.

The league position suggests that our team is no better than the team we had in our first season in this league, most would disagree but I am not sure it is to be honest.

Which of our players would you describe as good, and which of those are top 6 calibre?

I just think that it is not just the case that a new manager will come in and suddenly change the fortunes of these players overnight. Part of the reason as to why we need a new manager is because Mowbray has not built a very good squad of players and with many about to go out of contract and our sole asset seemingly being primed for a sale, it is the perfect chance for a change of direction. 

I think it is more to how he has used the players. Strikers on wings, players like Rothwell, Holtby, Elliott, and now Dolan have played in multiple positions over the season. How is any player meant to get consistency like that? I am not saying for sure our squad is top 6 quality but it should be thereabouts and challenging. A good manager would do that. Christ, we had Buckley up front at one point.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

That's a very difficult question to answer as every player appears to have deteriorated as the season has progressed, whether they've been playing regularly or not. So none of them look top 6 at the moment. However if one player loses form, that's their problem. When it's all of them you have to look at the manager.

A new (good) manager wouldn't change things overnight but it's too late for that anyway. They would probably get more out of what we've got, give the team some shape and in the Summer invest in the right areas.

He hasn't built a good squad on the whole but there are some good players there. Even the not so good players would benefit from better organisation and some sort of sanity when it comes to picking where they are playing.

You only have to look at Evans and Bennett still featuring from time to time to see what a lazy minded fellow Mowbray is. They should have been offloaded years ago. He kept Smallwood way past his sell by date, and there are many more. I think the problem with Mowbray is he gets complacent and starts believing his own hype, then he gets caught out and panics. Then we end up with some lazy and bizarre decision making as a result.

I still say he hasn't known his best 11 since he was appointed.

• Like 7