BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Bristol City - 17/03/21

He always finds a way to destroy a player. Usually by playing them out of position, but he also drops them on the back of a good performance and then plays them on the back of poor ones.

Then you have him and his "favourites". Soul destroying for players doing their best knowing no matter what they do, he will stick with his favourites. 

He's doing my head in now with all the shite he spouts after every game. You could literally predict what he will say now. Does he not realise people will see this stuff, actually the problem is, he doesn't care. Draining. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

I think it is more to how he has used the players. Strikers on wings, players like Rothwell, Holtby, Elliott, and now Dolan have played in multiple positions over the season. How is any player meant to get consistency like that? I am not saying for sure our squad is top 6 quality but it should be thereabouts and challenging. A good manager would do that. Christ, we had Buckley up front at one point.

2 minutes ago, booth said:

That's a very difficult question to answer as every player appears to have deteriorated as the season has progressed, whether they've been playing regularly or not. So none of them look top 6 at the moment. However if one player loses form, that's their problem. When it's all of them you have to look at the manager.

A new (good) manager wouldn't change things overnight but it's too late for that anyway. They would probably get more out of what we've got, give the team some shape and in the Summer invest in the right areas.

He hasn't built a good squad on the whole but there are some good players there. Even the not so good players would benefit from better organisation and some sort of sanity when it comes to picking where they are playing.

You only have to look at Evans and Bennett still featuring from time to time to see what a lazy minded fellow Mowbray is. They should have been offloaded years ago. He kept Smallwood way past his sell by date, and there are many more. I think the problem with Mowbray is he gets complacent and starts believing his own hype, then he gets caught out and panics. Then we end up with some lazy and bizarre decision making as a result.

I still say he hasn't known his best 11 since he was appointed.

I dont doubt that Mowbray makes odd decisions tactically and I am not defending him for that. I am just unconvinced as to the names of the players that can have us around the top 6 under any manager. Players like Rothwell and Holtby have played centrally this season and just not performed often enough, and Gallagher's reputation grows each time he is played wide with people forgetting that he isnt particularly good full stop.

I do think we need a new plan and a new manager, but also there has to be a overhaul on the playing staff. I am not convinced that we would miss the majority of the players for whom their contracts are about to expire, it may be worth renewing one or two but in the main, they should all be jettisoned in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont doubt that Mowbray makes odd decisions tactically and I am not defending him for that. I am just unconvinced as to the names of the players that can have us around the top 6 under any manager. Players like Rothwell and Holtby have played centrally this season and just not performed often enough, and Gallagher's reputation grows each time he is played wide with people forgetting that he isnt particularly good full stop.

I do think we need a new plan and a new manager, but also there has to be a overhaul on the playing staff. I am not convinced that we would miss the majority of the players for whom their contracts are about to expire, it may be worth renewing one or two but in the main, they should all be jettisoned in my opinion.

Gallagher was a bad signing full stop, absolutely crazy. But he isn't going to be better played out wide. He's been playing Dolan and Elliott in the middle and Brereton and Gallagher wide. And the game where he played Armstrong out wide (when he was scoring goals) and Elliott in the middle. Just crazy decision making. Mowbray is like the Caligula of Championship football, horrific stuff and no one can make it stop.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We now have nothing to play for,most of the sides we are now to face have everything to play for.

Genuinely worried as to where the next points are coming from.

I wouldn't worry too much about this season. I had money for us to go down at 100/1 but I'll not start spending as I now believe firmly we will be safe. One win will do it I'm sure. Wycombe and sheff weds won't catch us and there are too many other poor teams below us. They won't all accumulate enough points in the remaining games. One of them will take the final spot. Next season with this clown still in charge, we will be in big trouble though 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Exactly, I think we have a squad desperately lacking in quality that our manager has assembled which for some reason people felt was capable of a top 6 push.

Regarding Dolan, I was specifically arguing that he is not a striker which is where you suggested that we played him last night. I do think that due to his commendable enthusiasm and coming from Preston that he is a little overhyped and that there is little of substance but thats not a slight on him, this is his first season in senior football whereas the majority of the rest have had more than enough chances.

Its was Mowbray who said he was building a squad for the top 6 and this season we would challenge for it. He has been backed every season with money for signings either in transfer fees and wages. he has been backed financially by the owners. 

On Dolan, I would played him as a striker based on form and how well he done there in recent games. 

Yet again, no one is overhyping Dolan at all. Its yourself being very over critical of a player in his professional season at the age 17/18 years old. I couldn't give a monkey which club Dolan signed from to be frank. His performances this season have warrant a new contract and he should be in the first team next season and probably from the right wide in either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s a VERY good point that his team was sussed out by November. Lots of people (on social media) latching onto the excuses being spewed out about defensive injuries etc...which are relevant but your defence being depleted does not absolve your manager or the rest of their team of their duty to break teams down. If you can’t defend then try to win 5-4 don’t blame the fact that you cannot break teams down on injuries to Wharton and Ayala!!?

Rovers have not played really well since November 24th, Preston away. The matches are literally the same every week. Loads of possession, no cutting edge and a stupid mistake, lose the game.

Who is addressing this? 

It should be the owners be giving Mowbray the sack and bringing in a new football management structure and replacing Waggott aswell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, booth said:

Gallagher was a bad signing full stop, absolutely crazy. But he isn't going to be better played out wide. He's been playing Dolan and Elliott in the middle and Brereton and Gallagher wide. And the game where he played Armstrong out wide (when he was scoring goals) and Elliott in the middle. Just crazy decision making. Mowbray is like the Caligula of Championship football, horrific stuff and no one can make it stop.

caligula was assinated by those he trusted,not saying they should kill him but maybe a slight betrayal would`nt go amiss by those who work with him,ben benson the ultimate betrayor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a boring game. 

Tempo slow and boring. No Plan B. 

Did Buckley really play as a false 9 role? What a waste of a talent. 

Why not play Gallagher

We are on the highway to nowhere under Mowbray. We need a new manager/head coach with new director and plan asap

Listening on the radio to Andy Bayes and Kevin Gallagher they were quite disparaging about these substitution s Andy posted the question we are not going with this false 9 malarkey are we have we ever won a game playing a false 9. Gallagher thought the formation had Buckley at the tip of a diamond and there were two wide forwards and no 9 false or otherwise.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its was Mowbray who said he was building a squad for the top 6 and this season we would challenge for it. He has been backed every season with money for signings either in transfer fees and wages. he has been backed financially by the owners. 

On Dolan, I would played him as a striker based on form and how well he done there in recent games. 

Yet again, no one is overhyping Dolan at all. Its yourself being very over critical of a player in his professional season at the age 17/18 years old. I couldn't give a monkey which club Dolan signed from to be frank. His performances this season have warrant a new contract and he should be in the first team next season and probably from the right wide in either 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation

It should be the owners be giving Mowbray the sack and bringing in a new football management structure and replacing Waggott aswell. 

A few things regarding how you feel I have been over critical on Dolan which you seem to have misunderstood:

- The fact that it is his first professional season led me to suggest that unlike many of our other players, it is very reasonable for his output to be limited, that was a defence of him if anything.

- I did also suggest that it was a prudent move to sign him on a long term contract. Wouldnt have him as a starter though, im not sure he starts in any other Championship clubs, so the debate is squad player or a loan spell elsewhere for me.

- Dolan isnt a striker, he ran around a lot and little else there, thats not his position though and indeed my comments about his position are criticisms of our manager, not him. If he played as a striker all season, I suspect that he would struggle to get over 5 goals. Mind you, so would Kaminski if you played him there.

My overall opinion on Dolan is he is a kid with a lot of talent but in his first year of professional football, is incredibly raw, and usually doesnt offer a threat for all of the tricks and flicks. Im sure that will come over time though. I dont think that is a critical opinion.

Your conclusions about the managers future as well as the criticisms of Waggott are things I totally agree with and in fact things that I wanted quite a long time ago.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you play Dolan CF instead of Gallagher? If just the 2 were available