BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

A good move for all concerned, assuming we actually replace him which i doubt we will.

I think the biggest question here is whether we offered him another years contract, if so why, and why has he rejected it to take a 1 year deal at Shrewsbury?

The answers to these questions are important and relevant to the state we will be in heading into next season.

Doesn't look good to me that we've made him and offer and he's declined it.

I'm pleased for Bennett to get a move close to his Telford home. He had run his course here and overall was decent for us. It must have been a derisory offer from us though if Shrewsbury are presumably paying more.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm pleased for Bennett to get a move close to his Telford home. He had run his course here and overall was decent for us. It must have been a derisory offer from us though if Shrewsbury are presumably paying more.

I suspect it's more about playing time than money at this stage of his career. I read earlier he has only played 244 mins this season (injured for a while, but still not a lot)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JWUpper said:

Been a good player for us who has passion for the club and was brilliant to the fanbase and to the younger Rovers players. Shame to see him go but the right decision now. Was fantastic during our league 1 campaign. Some great memories 

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think the biggest question here is whether we offered him another years contract, if so why, and why has he rejected it to take a 1 year deal at Shrewsbury?

Cos it is much closer to his home based and much less travelling and staying away from home for days when he played here. spend more time with his wife and children now. 

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

They're apparently after Sam Vokes too. 

When we went up from L1 they had the 3rd highest wage bill in the league after us and Wigan iirc. No idea where they get the money from. 

Blackburn Rovers would consider a loan move for Liverpool midfielder Leighton Clarkson 

Clitheroe-born Liverpool ace on the radar of Blackburn Rovers - LancsLive

The Sun reporter Phil Cadden is reporting that Rovers want Yates to replace Armstrong

Blackburn want Jerry Yates transfer from Blackpool as Adam Armstrong replacement while West Ham fight for £25m striker (thesun.co.uk)

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Been a good player for us who has passion for the club and was brilliant to the fanbase and to the younger Rovers players. Shame to see him go but the right decision now. Was fantastic during our league 1 campaign. Some great memories 

Cos it is much closer to his home based and much less travelling and staying away from home for days when he played here. spend more time with his wife and children now. 

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

If you believe that you'll believe anything.

believe what? wanting to work closer to his home based? 

He lives in Telford JH. its a 20 minutes drive. Why would he want to be away from his wife and young children now. He clearly wants to be closer to home. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

believe what? wanting to work closer to his home based? 

He lives in Telford JH. its a 20 minutes drive. Why would he want to be away from his wife and young children now. He clearly wants to be closer to home. 

I prefer to face up to the uncomfortable and alarming reality rather than just making excuses all the time. 

Either he's been made an offer, which is so derisory that a one year deal at League One Shrewsbury is seen as a better bet, or probably more likely we haven't even got to the stage of putting a deal on the table, despite the club saying they were discussing it with him.

I suppose you'd be happy for Adam Armstrong to join Hartlepool because that would be nearer to home and his family/friends?

The term ‘Legend’ once again being overused today. Bennett was a decent player for a spell during his time with us, but a liability for the last couple of years due in no small part to Mowbray playing him at right back. Decent servant through the clubs lowest point in decades. Seems a very good bloke, but I’m not sure there’d be this outpouring if he wasn’t so active on Twitter.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

I prefer to face up to the uncomfortable and alarming reality rather than just making excuses all the time. 

Either he's been made an offer, which is so derisory that a one year deal at League One Shrewsbury is seen as a better bet, or probably more likely we haven't even got to the stage of putting a deal on the table, despite the club saying they were discussing it with him.

I suppose you'd be happy for Adam Armstrong to join Hartlepool because that would be nearer to home and his family/friends?

You prefer to always look for conspiracy theories all the times these days sadly instead of looking at the facts and the player situation 

Bennett has a wife and young children who are based in Telford so why would he want to be away from them now. He only has 3 years left in pro football so why not be closer to home. 

Bennett and Armstrong situations are different situations and vastly different period of the footballing careers. Plus Armstrong newly wed Wife has moved with him down here I believe in Lytham, whilst as Bennett's family didn't move here. 

Its the same tale as with Corry Evans for me.

If the club is moving them on with a view to recruiting better and progressing then fine. I support that 100%. Neither are great and neither are going to get better at this stage. Both have served the club well across their time here.

Both however I presume are leaders and valuable experience in the changing room. I think it is a dangerous game to offload so much of that in one window leaving behind inexperience in this cut throat division.

The reason for my concern is that I believe the manager would have kept both if possible. I think his comments on Evans and the 'attempts' to offer Bennett new terms show that.

I've been clear that Mowbray is done and needs removing from the club but if he isn't, then the worst we can do is pull up and not even renew deals.

This is of course worrying, because if we can't even get these sort of deals done, which the manager wants, what deals are we going to be able to do?

• Backroom

Pleased he’s gone but wish him well, gave his all but not been good enough for a long while.

Not quite sure why we were in discussions to retain him 

• Like 4

I don't think Elliott Bennett or Corry Evans departing are any reflection on the state of affairs at BRFC.  Both are players who haven't been good enough for years and their departures have been long overdue.  If either were offered a "derisory deal" then that's probably because the club/manager would only want them to re-sign as squad players on incredibly low wages.  I'm inclined to believe that Bennett doesn't give much of a sod about his wage at this stage of his career and being close to home and having a load more playing time would have most certainly made sense for him and his family.

There's plenty to poke at at BRFC and how we might well be in the mire or at least heading there, but the suggestion Bennett choosing to sign for Shrewsbury is part of that?  Nonsense.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

A good guy off the pitch but he's a lge 1 player and has been for a while. Good decision. 

The decks have been cleared. We've lost a lot of players but all, barring Harvey Elliott, are low quality players. 

this must be the time for some of the u23`s to get a real chance of first team action,otherwise whats the point of the  academy

• Like 1

The willing sleepwalk into embargo provides the veil to rely on youth, loans and v cheap signings this summer.

A bit of a reset after Mowbray and the gang have wasted the last few seasons backing and wages. It's something we probably need to do but it's a very risky strategy especially with this regime in charge.

The clear out and reset should start at the top, so much for root and branch. This is just trimming deadwood.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

this must be the time for some of the u23`s to get a real chance of first team action,otherwise whats the point of the  academy

The point is to supply players when they are ready or good enough. As happened with Travis, Nyambe, Lenihan etc. If they are good enough they will force their way into the squad. Even when the manager isn't keen, he will end up with no choice.

We've had more use from our academy than other clubs at this level and ought to have some real assets on our hands here. Nyambe should be RB for years to come. Trav should be captain in future. Lenihan will be captain now.

Shame the club is allowing their contracts to run down but that's another story.

My point is that our academy has and is doing the business. I see no reason to force things further by filling the first team squad with academy lads to make some sort of point about using the academy when it is being used already. Too much using it could easily be counter productive and jeopardise Championship status with kids and inexperience learning on the job. It needs to be more gradual - one or two a year coming through not offloading a dozen and replacing them all with the kids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Its the same tale as with Corry Evans for me.

If the club is moving them on with a view to recruiting better and progressing then fine. I support that 100%. Neither are great and neither are going to get better at this stage. Both have served the club well across their time here.

Both however I presume are leaders and valuable experience in the changing room. I think it is a dangerous game to offload so much of that in one window leaving behind inexperience in this cut throat division.

The reason for my concern is that I believe the manager would have kept both if possible. I think his comments on Evans and the 'attempts' to offer Bennett new terms show that.

I've been clear that Mowbray is done and needs removing from the club but if he isn't, then the worst we can do is pull up and not even renew deals.

This is of course worrying, because if we can't even get these sort of deals done, which the manager wants, what deals are we going to be able to do?

As far as I can see you have no evidence at all.