BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

How close you think we are to agreeing a new contract with brereton? Can’t imagine the club will want to pay 5-7 million for a player and then lose him with his contract ending wouldn’t look good at all

Replying to
one of the many contracts they need to work on. Think they'll get something done, but not aware of anything being close.

The conversation over Bell and Bennett began with the claim: “how bad must the clubs situation be that we can’t even convince the likes of Bell and Bennett to stay”.

As I said at the time, I personally think it’s a good thing we didn’t do everything we could to keep them.

For some reason that conversation has shifted into a debate on “squad players” and subsequently the argument is that people wouldn’t want any of them at the club. 

Every single squad in the country, from the Premier League to the Evo-Stik, has got players in their squad who aren’t expecting to start most weeks. Squad players are not only existent, but essential. How anyone could say that they’d refuse to have anyone at the club who’s willing to be a “squad player” is absolutely beyond me. I simply can’t understand the claim. 

Just now, JoeH said:

How anyone could say that they’d refuse to have anyone at the club who’s willing to be a “squad player” is absolutely beyond me. I simply can’t understand the claim. 

Competition for places. If your back-up RB isn't bothered about playing 1st team football, the first choice RB isn't under any pressure to perform to keep his place.

Some footballers don't even like football. It's just a job. I used to know a Rovers player in the 80's who hated every minute of it. He'd have happily just turned up for training, picked up his wage and never got on the team sheet. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Competition for places. If your back-up RB isn't bothered about playing 1st team football, the first choice RB isn't under any pressure to perform to keep his place.

Some footballers don't even like football. It's just a job. I used to know a Rovers player in the 80's who hated every minute of it. He'd have happily just turned up for training, picked up his wage and never got on the team sheet. 

David Hamilton?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

He never enjoyed it either...mate of my dad's...always moaning.

Another one I knew briefly, (not Rovers) played in a major cup final but was a rugby league man. Didn't like football and absolutely detested most footballers and and thought they were all 'ponces'. It's just a job to some of them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly, no one is justifying what the club does. But that's your standard line from you. 

Bennett is far from a shit player and if you only look at his team mates reaction on social media they regards him as a legend. 

Ask the club. 

Legend is a laughable description in any context, and from the players, meaningless. He is clearly a pleasant bloke, but they aren't going to message him saying "good riddance" anyway are they?

But thats beside the point. Do you agree with the clubs choice and in particular Mowbray's choice to offer Bennett a chance to stick around?

And are you still of the opinion that Mowbray needs to be sacked?

45 minutes ago, JoeH said:

The conversation over Bell and Bennett began with the claim: “how bad must the clubs situation be that we can’t even convince the likes of Bell and Bennett to stay”.

As I said at the time, I personally think it’s a good thing we didn’t do everything we could to keep them.

For some reason that conversation has shifted into a debate on “squad players” and subsequently the argument is that people wouldn’t want any of them at the club. 

Every single squad in the country, from the Premier League to the Evo-Stik, has got players in their squad who aren’t expecting to start most weeks. Squad players are not only existent, but essential. How anyone could say that they’d refuse to have anyone at the club who’s willing to be a “squad player” is absolutely beyond me. I simply can’t understand the claim. 

Do you think that Mowbray was correct to offer Bennett the chance to stick around?

• Like 1

So the latest rumour is Brereton to Leeds.  No doubt many who post on here will be extremely happy but I for one will be extremely upset.  There has always been a footballer there, but was never handled right from the word go.  Shows what he can do when played in his correct position under a proper manager.

Mowbray is utterly useless and needs to go, NOW.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

So the latest rumour is Brereton to Leeds.  No doubt many who post on here will be extremely happy but I for one will be extremely upset.  There has always been a footballer there, but was never handled right from the word go.  Shows what he can do when played in his correct position under a proper manager.

Having watch Ben in the Chile games, I am still not over impressed. Lets see what he does this season. I hope his South American jaunt will help his confidence.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

I suspect very lazy journalism in play.

Brereton all the rage at the moment with his Chile involvement so people are looking to write about him and bring him under the PL umbrella. They don't like these players not being part of the PL circus and want to bring him to the attention of PL fans.

Who to link him to? Well just up the road we have Bielsa - ex Chile manager himself - ideal.

Have to say though if there is any truth to it we can see how poorly Mowbray has done with him over the last 2 years.

Edited by JHRover

17 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

There has always been a footballer there,

Come on, I don't think you can blame anyone who thought, and might still think we bought a dud.  He struggled to simply control the ball when he arrived.  He hasn't show us much more really.....

He should start the season as our main striker up front down the middle and let's see...

• Like 3

There's going to be several clubs linked with Brereton now he's at the nearing a new contract stage.

The good old 'flex' that waggot and a few on here championed in terms of BB, big fee small wages. Will be well and truly put to the test now because he'll be wanting a substancial payrise probably.

I'm not one of those who bought into him only being on a few grand a week i'd wager it was double figures or as near as damn it. So Rovers will be having kittens now other renewing it. 

Hes improved but he ain't worth a big hike in pay no way but at the same time if he leaves they wave bye bye to all that stupid fee they paid. Maybe the best scenario would be someone stumping up a few million for him now.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Lets be honest, mid table Premier League side Leeds are not going to buy Ben Brereton. 

Clearly the manager who is in a high bracket of football knowledge, experience and who’s stock is far greater than our incumbent buffoon can see there is a skilled player in Brereton it is just a pity that Mowbray cannot and will not use him as he should be!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

Clearly the manager who is in a high bracket of football knowledge, experience and who’s stock is far greater than our incumbent buffoon can see there is a skilled player in Brereton it is just a pity that Mowbray cannot and will not use him as he should be!

We don’t even know if there’s any sort of viable link with him and Leeds. It could well be lazy journalism and most likely is tbh.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

If the link is indeed true. Highly doubtful if you ask me.

16 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

So, you are saying it took us all to find out his mam spoke fluent Spanish to realise he is a skilled player?...utter tosh. I don't think he will ever be "skilled"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

If the link is indeed true. Highly doubtful if you ask me.

I don't think there is anything in the link either but of far more interest to me is that his name is in the national and international football news. In his three years here he has hardly had a mention outside the local media. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Come on, I don't think you can blame anyone who thought, and might still think we bought a dud.  He struggled to simply control the ball when he arrived.  He hasn't show us much more really.....

He should start the season as our main striker up front down the middle and let's see...

I agree Sparks, but can you see Mowbray playing him down the middle. He more likely to be the new right back now Bennett has gone. He’ll also be stand in at CB.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Its just silly season transfer gossip. Lets not get carried away by his Copa America exploits, where he admittedly scored a nice goal against a very lowly ranked nation, playing from the same position that he has played throughout the season from the left. Admittedly he was more central v Uruguay.

Mowbray shouldnt have spent anywhere near 7m on him, but lets not make Brereton out to be a grossly underappreciated skilful talent. He has had an average season off the back of 2 abysmal ones. 

• Like 3