BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Clearly the manager who is in a high bracket of football knowledge, experience and who’s stock is far greater than our incumbent buffoon can see there is a skilled player in Brereton it is just a pity that Mowbray cannot and will not use him as he should be!

Other than the fact that he bought him at a premium price because he had potential. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you think that Mowbray was correct to offer Bennett the chance to stick around?

No. Unless the offer was pay as you play, or significantly lower than average.

What I don’t agree with is the idea that Bennett and Bell not staying is a reflection of the clubs ability/inability to get deals done. CLEARLY they were offered low wages/low chance of playing.

9 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If there was nothing awry, you'd think they'd just get the accounts submitted, job done.

Unless of course.....

I was wondering about this also,what benefit do they get from not submitting them until the last second? Doesn't seem like there would be (my knowledge on this subject is limited)

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I was wondering about this also,what benefit do they get from not submitting them until the last second? Doesn't seem like there would be (my knowledge on this subject is limited)

Less time for them to get scrutinised and resulting fine/points deduction/embargo issued before the season starts, perhaps?

37 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I agree Sparks, but can you see Mowbray playing him down the middle. He more likely to be the new right back now Bennett has gone. He’ll also be stand in at CB.

What are Brereton’s attributes that would make him effective through the middle? He played on the left of a front 3 for Chile against Bolivia. They looked to change their shape slightly against Uruguay, but Brereton spent most of the game drifting wide and dropping deep looking to get on the ball. He’s far happier picking up the ball wide and deep and running towards goal than trying to get on the end of things in the box - he just doesn’t do this. 

If we go into the season expecting Brereton to lead the line as a centre forward, we are bang in trouble. Maybe the reason we saw some improvement in him last year was the fact he was one of a very small number of players Mowbray actually utilised correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Clearly the manager who is in a high bracket of football knowledge, experience and who’s stock is far greater than our incumbent buffoon can see there is a skilled player in Brereton it is just a pity that Mowbray cannot and will not use him as he should be!

Hang on? Thought we hated the fact that Mowbray even BOUGHT him? Now he doesn't like him and *shock horror* uses him in his best position as wide left striker (which he is pretty much playing for Chile, adequately, not as well as he does for us imo)

Facts are the manager has bought, developed, and has played a player that is doing well in the Copa. That everyone here hated anyway.

Every single bloody thing on here is a whinge at Mowbray, I'm not really his biggest fan anymore but Christ we can't have it both ways.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

No. Unless the offer was pay as you play, or significantly lower than average.

What I don’t agree with is the idea that Bennett and Bell not staying is a reflection of the clubs ability/inability to get deals done. CLEARLY they were offered low wages/low chance of playing.

Why even if the offer was pay as you play (a contract with zero basic wage would be totally unrealistic, if he doesnt play who is paying his mortgage?!) or cheap would it be even worth considering? Whether it is for 46 games or 5 games, he is nowhere near good enough. He is a total liability, not up to standard and a guaranteed penalty conceded every other game. Even if it was cheap, why would we actively choose to sign players not capable of playing at this level? Simply being cheap is not enough, I would play for cheap but I wouldnt be up to it either.

We know that under Venkys we take ages to get our arses into gear every summer. If Bell and/or Bennett were kept on, it would be one more body, and thus one less player needed. So of course it is linked.

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Hang on? Thought we hated the fact that Mowbray even BOUGHT him? Now he doesn't like him and *shock horror* uses him in his best position as wide left striker (which he is pretty much playing for Chile, adequately, not as well as he does for us imo)

Facts are the manager has bought, developed, and has played a player that is doing well in the Copa. That everyone here hated anyway.

Every single bloody thing on here is a whinge at Mowbray, I'm not really his biggest fan anymore but Christ we can't have it both ways.

People are getting carried away with the novelty of the Copa America. He is still nowhere near getting half way to justifying his fee. He has had 2 horrendous seasons and one ok one, plus a goal v a very poor national team.

Ultimately though, the whinging will presumably continue at the manager because he is holding us back, so I can understand it. Its the elephant in the room, we cant pretend all is hunky dory.

• Like 4

It looks like Venkys won't be opening the purse strings so we will be relying, or is that over-relying, on young players that have come through the Academy.

This is extremely risky, most good sides have a balance of young players and experienced ones. With a very good manager we might manage but with TM we have no hope. Lads playing well but dropped next week, lads out of position and losing rather than gaining confidence is what I see. We'll be lambs to the slaughter.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

People are getting carried away with the novelty of the Copa America. He is still nowhere near getting half way to justifying his fee. He has had 2 horrendous seasons and one ok one, plus a goal v a very poor national team.

Ultimately though, the whinging will presumably continue at the manager because he is holding us back, so I can understand it. Its the elephant in the room, we cant pretend all is hunky dory.

Can't argue with that, think we all want a change there. Just hate the logical inconsistencies people use to wind themselves up further!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I think the only logical explanation is that like everything else at Rovers they are waiting on authorisation or the nod from India before it can be done.

Season tickets, new contracts, transfers, accounts - all late

Either that's because of rank incompetence or because of a fundamental problem with how the club operates.

I believe the  most likely explanation is that Venkys aren't communicating and have left the club to drift and rot (again).

Their insane business practices are now likely to see us embargoed and facing relegation back to the 3rd division. Yet still they go on Facebook and sing the owners praises.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Can't argue with that, think we all want a change there. Just hate the logical inconsistencies people use to wind themselves up further!

Personally, I prefer the one where Mowbray has morphed from someone who only bought duds to someone who has bought an succession of fabulous players who only look duds because of how he uses them!

I’ve watched both of Ben’s Copa appearances and seen pretty much exactly how he was at the start of the season in essentially the same role. Of course, it probably helps having Chile’s golden generation around him as opposed to our lot.

I get the impression it’s more his personality and what he’s done to get there this summer that has won the Chilean nation over rather than his footballing prowess. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I get the impression it’s more his personality and what he’s done to get there this summer that has won the Chilean nation over rather than his footballing prowess. 

Zero baggage and fresh eyes too. They're judging him solely on his current ability, whereas some of us have needed convincing here and that leaves a bit of a 'hangover'. The lad can play, always said it (the only I told you so you'll ever hear from me on this honest! 😋)

• Like 1

A few factors to consider on Ben. 

On one hand it is great he has done well on the international dtage. It shows there is some ability and it will do his confidence, reputation and price tag no end of good. 

All that said he hasn't done much for Rovers. Even if we do a TM and reset the clock at the start of last season (although again I am not sure we should ok this one either) he still has had a pretty indifferent season. He's looked ok at best im championship and not even a guaranteed starter. 

It might be Ben isn't really suited to English football. Maybe he would thrive, or at least do better, elsewhere. Not all players suit all leagues and teams.

So whilst losing him for a small fee wouldn't be great and compound the terrible business, it's not going to be the same as losing Armstrong or any of our other key players. It's more of a what a muck up by TM rather than it something that will badly hurt the team. Especially since there is no guarantee or enough evidence that he is particularly good as yet. 

I don't think there will be anything in the Leeds link but I can imagine the agents queueing up already.

Breretonmania, interest from big clubs, international footballer, advertising potential in Chile and the most important part - a free agent at the end of the season.

Can't see any agents advising him to sign a new contract with Rovers. 

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, you are saying it took us all to find out his mam spoke fluent Spanish to realise he is a skilled player?...utter tosh. I don't think he will ever be "skilled"

Clearly he has ability otherwise he wouldn’t be scoring for Chile.

• Like 2

Would be a big loss for me.

Don't get people saying he had an "ok", "indifferent" or "average" season last year, he was instrumental in everything good we did at the start of last season and his injury really derailed us.

If the numbers are right though everyone has a price, but it does smells like a lazy link.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

And are you still of the opinion that Mowbray needs to be sacked?

Yes, How many more times do I need to say it that I would like to see a change of manager and Mowbray to be replace? Its like Groundhog day with you

Legend is a laughable description in any context, and from the players, meaningless. He is clearly a pleasant bloke, but they aren't going to message him saying "good riddance" anyway are they?

Maybe cos Bennett was a very good team mate with the entire squad and leader in the dressing room despite not playing much

Do you agree with the clubs choice and in particular Mowbray's choice to offer Bennett a chance to stick around?

Yet again, I posted who I wanted to keep and was Bennett on that list? No he wasn't. I want to clear house and get rid of most of the out of contract including Johnson who was re-sign a new 1 year contract

So, with all things considered, what bid would you all accept for Brereton if a bid came in tomorrow?

So, before the Armstrong saga is resolved but still knowing he will likely leave too. And not knowing if we will be in embargo, nor whether selling someone in the next few days could prevent one.