BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No evidence whatsoever that Pike and McBride are capable of playing Championship football. 

You could have used that argument against Jack 0 Connell who never got a minute for us and ended up a Championship stalwart for Sheff Utd.

Ditto Wharton who was about to be offloaded before being drafted in through necessity due to injury and excelled.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You could have used that argument against Jack 0 Connell who never got a minute for us and ended up a Championship stalwart for Sheff Utd.

Ditto Wharton who was about to be offloaded before being drafted in through necessity due to injury and excelled.

He isn't making the argument that they're not good enough though. Just that we can't assume they are and not make signings in areas we will be short.

You don't assign a full squad spot to an untested youth player unless you've seen enough in training to feel really sure they're ready to step in regularly. Our illustrious manager has made it clear he doesn't have that confidence in them yet. So instead that means you drip feed them in. Injury crises, sub appearances when we are winning comfortably, that kind of thing, is the usual approach for blooding youngsters. Not saying we need a new X position player so how about we shove a lad from the u23s in and hope he swims.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No evidence whatsoever that Pike and McBride are capable of playing Championship football. They should have been tested in the dead rubbers, as it is, we cant rely upon them as it stands. If they do break through, bonus, but we cant count in them as squad players when they havent kicked a ball in the first team.

Every year we have supposedly half an under 23 team that "should be part of the first team this year" but it doesnt work like that.

During squad training they are with other championship players. It should be obvious to the trained eye if any of the younger players have the potential to develope. To my untrained but life experienced eyes, I would rate Pike and McBride of at least having that potential.

24 minutes ago, rigger said:

During squad training they are with other championship players. It should be obvious to the trained eye if any of the younger players have the potential to develope. To my untrained but life experienced eyes, I would rate Pike and McBride of at least having that potential.

We have championship standard player's? Who?

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Travis, Davenport, Johnson, Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong, Gallagher

You can name as many players as you like, 2nd half of last season shows they're not as good as people think. What where the results again 2 in 17? Not convinced that is championship standard.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve seen him out and about a fair bit in bars of Clitheroe and also Gisburne Park festival, he wasn’t walking with a limp….

My mate who is mates with him said he saw him at the weekend and wouldn’t give away any inside info about transfers etc., but was confident he’d be fit for just after the start of the season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rigger said:

So again, if it was obvious in training that any of them are ready to step up, why weren't they used in the dead rubbers? It's more obvious even in a game with little on the line than it is in training. If he had faith they were going to be ready for this season as legitimate squad players rather than just getting their introductions, they would have played in those dead rubbers. They didn't even come on as subs.

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

You can name as many players as you like, 2nd half of last season shows they're not as good as people think. What where the results again 2 in 17? Not convinced that is championship standard.

Or it could be the manager getting the tactics wrong,not choosing the correct starting 11 and playing multiple players out of position

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JWUpper said:

My mate who is mates with him said he saw him at the weekend and wouldn’t give away any inside info about transfers etc., but was confident he’d be fit for just after the start of the season.

That would be fantastic news. Lenihan and Wharton looked by far our best Pairing last season imo.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So again, if it was obvious in training that any of them are ready to step up, why weren't they used in the dead rubbers? It's more obvious even in a game with little on the line than it is in training. If he had faith they were going to be ready for this season as legitimate squad players rather than just getting their introductions, they would have played in those dead rubbers. They didn't even come on as subs.

It means the manager doesn't fancy them. It doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't do a job.

The manager (unsurprisingly) seemingly didn't fancy Wharton either until he had absolutely no choice but to press him into action due to injury.

• Like 2

LT saying we are currently in embargo, hence why we haven't signed anyone. Expected the embargo will be lifted next week when accounts reg'd with Companies House .... but Rovers still have to comply with P&S rules in order to avoid another embargo. 

Also says any transfer fees paid for new players will probably depend on AA sale. Which was why it was important that we were able to move quickly on freebies before they all got snapped up. Sadly we couldn't.

Blackburn Rovers transfer embargo explained amid Hilton hold-up | Lancashire Telegraph

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JWUpper said:

Still saying most of remainder of the year calendar year in the LT, which was the original prognosis. 

Blackburn Rovers will look to use blossoming Man City relationship | Lancashire Telegraph

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Mowbray is the only person who can answer that question. I would not even attempt to fathom his logic.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 22:11, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Preston must now challenge Blackburn and Rangers in race to sign Carlos Mendes Gomes - Deepdale Digest

I've seen this guy play once, it was when Morecambe were live on TV in what I presume was the FA Cup. My memory is fooked so it was either this season or last.

Anyway, he stood out in the match as a cut above evryone else, and was pretty much as described here -small, wiry, quick and skilful. I'd never heard of him before and haven't seen him play since. 

@JHRover another we've potentially missed out on. 

4 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

@JHRover another we've potentially missed out on. 

I always wonder - are we looking at these players and deeming them to not be good enough for our high standards?

Or are we not even looking?

Or are we interested but unable to get any of these early deals done due to financial or incompetence reasons?

Just now, JHRover said:

I always wonder - are we looking at these players and deeming them to not be good enough for our high standards?

Or are we not even looking?

Or are we interested but unable to get any of these early deals done due to financial or incompetence reasons?

It's because we're in an embargo at the moment. But normally it's the jeans thing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

7 hours ago, rigger said:

@bluebruce summed up my point perfectly. I am in no way discouraging the potential game time for youngsters who are ready. But it needs to be seen as a bonus rather than something we can be sure that we can rely upon, and we still need to sign players in the positions which we need, rather than assuming that a player without senior experience can plug the gap. A huge chance to test one or two was lost by our idiot of a manager at the end of last season in dead rubbers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, islander200 said:

Or it could be the manager getting the tactics wrong,not choosing the correct starting 11 and playing multiple players out of position

No-one disputes TMs issues, but whilst he is here our players are not at the standard needed, as results show.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I see Luton have signed another - Mendes Gomes from Morecambe. Always looked decent whenever I've seen them play. 

Meanwhile Mowbray is too busy sharing his tactical acumen with the Brereton fanclub.

Semi related issue but I can imagine Brereton coming back high on his exploits, bumps into Mowbray in the hall and his dour, negative demeneur brings him back to earth with a bang. 

The key is not to make out that Brereton suddenly and temporarily becomes a miles superior player when he goes away to Chile, working with a manager he can presumably not even understand! He scored v international minnows, held his own v a very strong team and then didnt do anything in a loss to an average side, fair play to him, but hes not suddenly a world beater. Last season, he did ok and Mowbray found a role and has to be considered somewhat responsible for any improvement, although overall, still an ill judged signing by him for a scandalous fee.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

No-one disputes TMs issues, but whilst he is here our players are not at the standard needed, as results show.

Not of the standard required to get promoted, but even if we had Messi and Ronaldo we wouldn't get promoted with this fella in charge.

We have stayed up comfortably last 3 seasons even with all the departures still feel that we won't get relegated.Our dismal run last year was down to Mowbray continuing with a style and first 11 that clearly wasn't working

• Like 1