BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

On the contrary maybe he does actually know there is a player in Chapman, I mean, we have seen glimpses of it and we saw at Shrewsbury he clearly has the ability given his fitness and game availability.

If we are embargoed the signing wouldnt have been allowed, like the exit of Hilton.

Scaremongering wont do anyone any good. Let us just agree to disagree that we are not or we are under embargo !

The thing with Chapman is this, in comparison are there any better out there for the kind of money we could pay? Stock answer is no, Curtis at Pompy would cost £2m whereas Chappers wages wont be anywhere near that for 12 months. So on that score it is good business because Curtis is no better than HC.

The same might be said of Mullin, who is being linked on a free. Can he cut it in the Championship? Would he do well at Ewood? Is he a replacement for Armstrong? For me, AA is not the complete Premier League striker, he misses far too many chances and over thinks one on ones. Would love to keep him but for me he has to go unless he signs a new deal. Should he leave then a signing like Mullin allows Rovers to play with width and two tall strikers up front allowing more direct football to be played. It also allows a player such as Adam Reach to come in and play a variety of roles. Ir supplements the midfield and defence, it provides additional width and nouse through the middle and allows a player such as Dack or Chapman to play behind the front man/front 2.

We are all aware that a smaller squad is the aim, maybe any money that is to be spent is on the creative midfielder we so much require because for me we appear to be covered in central defence as long as they keep fit.

Anyhow lets get ready for lift off !

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

On the contrary maybe he does actually know there is a player in Chapman, I mean, we have seen glimpses of it and we saw at Shrewsbury he clearly has the ability given his fitness and game availability.

If we are embargoed the signing wouldnt have been allowed, like the exit of Hilton.

Scaremongering wont do anyone any good. Let us just agree to disagree that we are not or we are under embargo !

The thing with Chapman is this, in comparison are there any better out there for the kind of money we could pay? Stock answer is no, Curtis at Pompy would cost £2m whereas Chappers wages wont be anywhere near that for 12 months. So on that score it is good business because Curtis is no better than HC.

The same might be said of Mullin, who is being linked on a free. Can he cut it in the Championship? Would he do well at Ewood? Is he a replacement for Armstrong? For me, AA is not the complete Premier League striker, he misses far too many chances and over thinks one on ones. Would love to keep him but for me he has to go unless he signs a new deal. Should he leave then a signing like Mullin allows Rovers to play with width and two tall strikers up front allowing more direct football to be played. It also allows a player such as Adam Reach to come in and play a variety of roles. Ir supplements the midfield and defence, it provides additional width and nouse through the middle and allows a player such as Dack or Chapman to play behind the front man/front 2.

We are all aware that a smaller squad is the aim, maybe any money that is to be spent is on the creative midfielder we so much require because for me we appear to be covered in central defence as long as they keep fit.

Anyhow lets get ready for lift off !

The bit in bold I strongly disagree with. 

Firstly we only have three centre backs who are proven at this level - and even one of those is minimally proven (though I think Warton can hack it in the Championship.) So we are short before you even look at fitness issues. 

Then you factor in Ayala's record of injuries and the fact he didn't manage double figures for us last year and you think it is very risky. Add in Lenihen's injury problems and and the fact Warton won't be fit at the start of the season and we are far from covered - we are very thin on the ground. 

Unless I have missed us signing a centre back which renders this post moot, the centre back situation is hugely risky. Two of the three centre backs ate injury prone, two of the three are coming back from long term injuries, the youth players have minimal experience of this level. It's asking for trouble. 

57 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

The Companies House delay is a red herring. The only thing that matters is EFL approval of the accounts and projections.

How can it be a red herring. If it’s delayed at Companies House the EFL can’t act on them. They have to get their ducks in a line. Are you a ITK regarding the financial state of the club or just a glass half empty guy

6 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

The bit in bold I strongly disagree with. 

Firstly we only have three centre backs who are proven at this level - and even one of those is minimally proven (though I think Warton can hack it in the Championship.) So we are short before you even look at fitness issues. 

Then you factor in Ayala's record of injuries and the fact he didn't manage double figures for us last year and you think it is very risky. Add in Lenihen's injury problems and and the fact Warton won't be fit at the start of the season and we are far from covered - we are very thin on the ground. 

Unless I have missed us signing a centre back which renders this post moot, the centre back situation is hugely risky. Two of the three centre backs ate injury prone, two of the three are coming back from long term injuries, the youth players have minimal experience of this level. It's asking for trouble. 

The centre-back situation maybe risky, but it might be a risk we have to take. I would say let's go with what we have got. If it goes wrong ,lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

The centre-back situation maybe risky, but it might be a risk we have to take. I would say let's go with what we have got. If it goes wrong ,lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

Why do we have to take that risk? In fact it is guaranteed to go wrong. Warton definitely won't be fit for the start of the season so that already leaves us short. What season has Ayala not had injury problems? It's not a risk it's near suicidal. 

Also Rovers don't cross bridges when issues come up. Cunningham (I think, the left back from Cardiff), Dack, we didn't address either of those problems when they came up. We wouldn't do this time either. 

All good managers build from a solid defence. Ours doesn't and doing so with 3 centre backs, 2 of whom won't be properly fit, is the opposite of building from the back. 

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Why do we have to take that risk? In fact it is guaranteed to go wrong. Warton definitely won't be fit for the start of the season so that already leaves us short. What season has Ayala not had injury problems? It's not a risk it's near suicidal. 

Also Rovers don't cross bridges when issues come up. Cunningham (I think, the left back from Cardiff), Dack, we didn't address either of those problems when they came up. We wouldn't do this time either. 

All good managers build from a solid defence. Ours doesn't and doing so with 3 centre backs, 2 of whom won't be properly fit, is the opposite of building from the back. 

To me it is quite simple. We cannot afford to buy or loan anyone of the required standard, so we have to use what we already have. It may or may not be successful, but it is our only option. Nothing in football is guaranteed ask the French.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

To me it is quite simple. We cannot afford to buy or loan anyone of the required standard, so we have to use what we already have. It may or may not be successful, but it is our only option. Nothing in football is guaranteed ask the French.

Well if we can't afford to buy or loan anyone in then that's a different matter! Of course in those situations you have to make do with what you have got. But if there is any budget whatsoever for players, loans or permanents, then strengthening our defence would be one of my main priorities. Currently we are woefully under strength there. 

Edited by Blue blood

24 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It’s hard to follow evolving plot lines on here, given that losing him was a bad thing and now signing him is a bad thing, but, given any player with an ounce of potential would do anything to get away from the Moggasaurus, I’m unclear if this means that Chapman is a gifted player who can’t wait to blossom under ANO Manager or, in fact, a brainless oaf, unwanted by other clubs, who couldn’t give a shit about his career other than making a few more quid?

My perspective:-

Losing him - bad. 

New deal - good

Facts:-

He did blossom under ANO manager.

Mowbray only ever gave him one league start so didn't give him a proper chance to establish himself.  

Newspaper Reports stated Shrewsbury did want to re-sign him

Speculation:

He's a brainless oaf only here for the money

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

All rather underwhelming. The further embargo would be of no surprise really, continued incompetence.

The Chapman signing makes little sense and maybe @Miller11 hits the nail on the head that it is out of necessity due to the embargo?

Either way, he obviously has talent but he quite clearly isnt fancied by Mowbray so is there any point?

Reach has always come across as a highlights player, capable of occasional brilliance but usually does little. Obvious talent in there but also a lazy signing for Mowbray who has a European scouting network specifically in Teeside. Safe to say that Sheffield Wednesday fans wouldnt recommend him:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/300647-adam-reach-bristol-city/?tab=comments#comment-9800611

Whereas Leeds fans said Douglas was amazing. Never trust an opposition fan view. 

I would argue that centre back is a position we are pretty well covered in. Between Lenihan, Carter, Wharton and Ayala we are have some quality and depth. If injuries arise I would rather show faith in our younger players than spend wages for people on short deals. The reality is we are not getting promoted, we don’t have a chance under Mowbray and we need to accept that. In light with that CB doesn’t need attention in the transfer market. CM and wide positions are our most pressing issues, perhaps a back up left back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

My perspective:-

Losing him - bad. 

New deal - good

Facts:-

He did blossom under ANO manager.

Mowbray only ever gave him one league start so didn't give him a proper chance to establish himself.  

Newspaper Reports stated Shrewsbury did want to re-sign him

Speculation:

He's a brainless oaf only here for the money

Maybe not brainless, but the money (probably more than he has been able to command from anywhere else) and the easy life under "results don't matter Mowbray" must be appealing to a young lad for 12 months.

13 minutes ago, TruRover said:

I would argue that centre back is a position we are pretty well covered in. Between Lenihan, Carter, Wharton and Ayala we are have some quality and depth. If injuries arise I would rather show faith in our younger players than spend wages for people on short deals. The reality is we are not getting promoted, we don’t have a chance under Mowbray and we need to accept that. In light with that CB doesn’t need attention in the transfer market. CM and wide positions are our most pressing issues, perhaps a back up left back.

We need to worry about relegation not promotion.

You've just named 4 CBs. Two are injury prone and barely featured last season. Wharton is out for the foreseeable. One is a kid who has had half a season in League One (albeit under a better manager than Mowbray). 

CB does need attention unless gambling Championship status is the way of it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

How can it be a red herring. If it’s delayed at Companies House the EFL can’t act on them. They have to get their ducks in a line. Are you a ITK regarding the financial state of the club or just a glass half empty guy

@crimpshine has made some great points in his posts on here over many months and probably years. Always with the interests of the club at heart it seems. I respect his opinion and he doesn't seem divisive.

Or do you just like your binaries @JohnGo😀

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

@crimpshine has made some great points in his posts on here over many months and probably years. Always with the interests of the club at heart it seems. I respect his opinion and he doesn't seem divisive.

Or do you just like your binaries @JohnGo😀

I’ve never had one what do they taste like. I’ve a couple of low hang fruit that I’ve been told taste good and does you good.

It's only ever good business if you get something back out of it. If he ends up loaned out again it's only good business for the middlemen and maybe the lad himself financially. 

Personally i don't expect anything different from the Chapman/Mowbray saga we've already seen recently.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Who covers right back in those cases? I know TM thinks Gally and Buckley can do it but really neither should even be considered there 

Perhaps Mowbray will really do something out of charracter and play Pike, a right-back if required. 

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's only ever good business if you get something back out of it. If he ends up loaned out again it's only good business for the middlemen and maybe the lad himself financially. 

Personally i don't expect anything different from the Chapman/Mowbray saga we've already seen recently.

Smacks of a pre-embargo signing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

The Companies House delay is a red herring. The only thing that matters is EFL approval of the accounts and projections.

just the projections actually.

Accounts from last year we already know from VLL is a £20 million loss.

The big promotion gamble failed due to the manager and now we have to hibernate for the next season.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JohnGo said:

The way I understand it is that the EFL have probably had the accounts and projections for a while but won't make a FFP judgement until the final, signed off accounts are received.

Rovers will have sent their final signed accounts and projections to EFL at the same time that they filed them at Companies House.  They can now make a judgement on our FFP situation based on the data provided. The fact that the Companies House process is a lagging a little makes no difference and will not affect the decision of the EFL.

• Like 1