BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

My best guess/interpretation is both Mowbray/Rovers and Chapman/his agent confused Rovers having the right to compensation if we offered to renew his contract to effectively meaning we held an option on him.  Even if they were technically wrong, I think he effectively was tied to us given the current transfer market climate. (Those were still some bizarre quotes in any case!)

With compensation due (maybe £200k+? Given similar pedigree, I don't think Chapman would go for too much less than Mahoney's case where he went to Bournemouth for a tribunal fee of £425k+), that probably rules out most L1 clubs, particularly in this climate. He also probably couldn't get a better wage in L1 than he's on now (fwiw, FM21 has him at £3k/week). Maybe a Championship club would be willing to spend a couple hundred grand and give him a similar wage, but there's no way he'd be guaranteed game time.

From our POV, it's a no brainer. A cheap-ish winger who may have finally screwed his head on right after a successful loan and we certainly have openings on the wing in what's looking to be a much leaner (cheaper...) squad this year.

From Chapman's POV, he stays on a decent wage (the way things were going before the Shrews loan, perhaps the best wage he'll ever see...) and should have a fair shot at finally earning Championship playing time. He turns 24 in November, so he can leave on a true free in the summer if it doesn't work out.

Maybe he and Mowbray haven't seen eye-to-eye (imo, fair enough given he has failed to impress in any of his cameo appearances and there's enough smoke to suggest his poor fitness levels haven't all been due to bad luck injuries...), but I also doubt Mowbray has it out for him. He signed the kid twice and would love to tout an eventual transfer success.

Chapman probably just signed the 1-year renewal offer we made to protect the investment, preventing us from 'leaving him in the cold' and hoping someone signed him for compensation.

Anyway, as hinted by Sharpe, I wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually sold or loaned out this summer or in the winter in the end, particularly if he fails to impress in camp again, but still worth one more punt, imo.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Just reeks of another player that a few years ago had the ambition and desire to make a top level career for himself. Probably had aims for the PL. It has never materialised and he is now just happy to plod along on decent Championship wages for the rest of his career. 

I understand that. Honestly I do . I just don’t expect to sign better quality than players like him. At least he’s tried and tested and not over the hill . Some of the dross that has signed over the last few years makes me relieved when it’s almost an uninspiring but safe bet

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wouldn't say his wages would be that low. I don't see why we need to mention that a player played for Boro at one point. I think it's pretty irrelevant. Plus if it's a good player he could be called Middles Boro and I wouldn't care 

Perhaps not low but I would say within our wage structure. He won't be getting the sort of money he was on at Sheff Wed, he has to be realistic about that..

I'd say it is relevant as there's a strong correlation between players signing for us who have NE connections. 

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

To be honest re. Reach I'd take him now. If nothing else because we are looking woefully short, particularly in the creativity department, and he has shown at two other clubs he has something in his locker.

Nothing to get excited about but right now I'm worried about relegation and so experience and some quality would be welcome.

I doubt there's much in it. Probably just people putting 2 and 2 together with the Boro connection and his agent trying to get him a deal at another Championship club and us dealing in the free agent aisle. He'll rock up somewhere like Birmingham or dare I say it PNE as they will gazump us by moving quickly.

I'd say a "decent" signing if it comes off, nothing more than that. He's a standard Championship player and, sadly, that's where we're at right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Perhaps not low but I would say within our wage structure. He won't be getting the sort of money he was on at Sheff Wed, he has to be realistic about that..

I'd say it is relevant as there's a strong correlation between players signing for us who have NE connections. 

Depends on who else is in for him. Not as much no, but doesn't mean he will be one of our lower earners 

It's still not relevant to the point where any tenous link to the north east needs to be identified and mentioned for every player we are linked with, imo 

Nixon on an 'interesting' Rovers target "It's not totally dead but it's taking a long time. It's not a free, but the deal couldn't be much better. See if they commit at some point soon. It could happen, if the club says to go for him."

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Nixon on an 'interesting' Rovers target "It's not totally dead but it's taking a long time. It's not a free, but the deal couldn't be much better. See if they commit at some point soon. It could happen, if the club says to go for him."

ahh good ol nixon, a deal that could be a deal, it could be on and it could be good, if if if if could could could ..not totally dead but could be dead,  might happen, might not

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

A cryptic no nothing at his absolute best there!

• Like 1

Best guess is Barry Bannan. Not many players fit the bill of interesting, a very good deal financially but not a free agent. But yes, he's left that awfully vague.

5 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

My best guess/interpretation is both Mowbray/Rovers and Chapman/his agent confused Rovers having the right to compensation if we offered to renew his contract to effectively meaning we held an option on him.  Even if they were technically wrong, I think he effectively was tied to us given the current transfer market climate. (Those were still some bizarre quotes in any case!)

With compensation due (maybe £200k+? Given similar pedigree, I don't think Chapman would go for too much less than Mahoney's case where he went to Bournemouth for a tribunal fee of £425k+), that probably rules out most L1 clubs, particularly in this climate. He also probably couldn't get a better wage in L1 than he's on now (fwiw, FM21 has him at £3k/week). Maybe a Championship club would be willing to spend a couple hundred grand and give him a similar wage, but there's no way he'd be guaranteed game time.

From our POV, it's a no brainer. A cheap-ish winger who may have finally screwed his head on right after a successful loan and we certainly have openings on the wing in what's looking to be a much leaner (cheaper...) squad this year.

From Chapman's POV, he stays on a decent wage (the way things were going before the Shrews loan, perhaps the best wage he'll ever see...) and should have a fair shot at finally earning Championship playing time. He turns 24 in November, so he can leave on a true free in the summer if it doesn't work out.

Maybe he and Mowbray haven't seen eye-to-eye (imo, fair enough given he has failed to impress in any of his cameo appearances and there's enough smoke to suggest his poor fitness levels haven't all been due to bad luck injuries...), but I also doubt Mowbray has it out for him. He signed the kid twice and would love to tout an eventual transfer success.

Chapman probably just signed the 1-year renewal offer we made to protect the investment, preventing us from 'leaving him in the cold' and hoping someone signed him for compensation.

Anyway, as hinted by Sharpe, I wouldn't be surprised if he's eventually sold or loaned out this summer or in the winter in the end, particularly if he fails to impress in camp again, but still worth one more punt, imo.

Sunderland would afford him. 

40 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers outbid for Sancho. We used to compete with this lot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57673463

far to flighty for tony,quick,direct and has a killer final ball,we don`t want those qualities at ewood!!talks broke down when tony mentioned playing him  in front of the back four to replace corry evans

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

That's vintage Nixon.

Splinters in his arse and nobody any the wiser, including him.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I've seen less vague things in fogs.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Best guess is Barry Bannan. Not many players fit the bill of interesting, a very good deal financially but not a free agent. But yes, he's left that awfully vague.

He's the king at creating a frenzy over bog standard transfers. I remember many years ago when he was leading on us for weeks about  a young player who could turn out to be a worldie signing...it turned out to be Franco Di Santo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Bannan..why when we have Travis and Davenport with Johnson competing for a defensive role.. 

Well firstly I don't think you'd play Bannan in a defensive role. Secondly, he's better than all three. I'm not the biggest fan of it because I don't think he particularly suits the system, would look like Holtby did. But he's got quality.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'm sure he said it was a young player when he first mentioned this?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Bannan would be a quality signing. I've seen a couple of Leicester fans say Rovers are after Leshabela on loan from them. He's a centre mid. No idea how good he is though.

Thakgalo Leshabela is a good player. He would do well at championship level, physical and skillful. Comfortable out wide and through the middle..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Bannan would be a quality signing. I've seen a couple of Leicester fans say Rovers are after Leshabela on loan from them. He's a centre mid. No idea how good he is though.

Where is this from? 9 minutes of senior football ever is hardly one to get excited about to be fair.