Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thankyou Joe, for passing on your information that Rovers do operate the way I was describing to @roversfan99and that you agree with me that must of the pre season if not all will already be completed. Its now down to Mowbray, Venus and Waggott to deliver the signings we need if they are still here. 

Why is Mark Venus involved in negotiations? Isn't he the assistant manager not director of football according to the Club website?

I don't think Mowbray has used the recruitment properly last summer apart from Kaminski and Stergiakis. Did the recruitment department recommend Pears, Ayala, Douglas, Trybull, Downing?

and Gallagher on the wing again 

Joe may claim knowledge on data etc and how it is used, but his opinion is no more valid than anyone elses, nor is is it factual. He does not know the exact inner workings at Rovers, or indeed if we have a list of numerous targets and are well organised behind the scenes, and of course even more importantly, if our targets are any good. I have never suggested that data shouldnt or isnt used at our club at any point, im sure it is, whether it used effectively or indeed whether any players identified are any good is a different matter. Nothing that has happened in the past suggests that the recruitment side of our club is efficient, well oiled, consistent or capable of identifying good players. It seems a haphazard mis match of a bit of everything.

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for reply. 

I read this week that Karl Robinson is very open to new ideas and data. So it did make me wonder if we could go for him. 

Nixon was saying yesterday that Rovers would look foreign if we were replacing Mowbray. But wouldn;t reveal any names

I wouldnt have mind Nigel Adkins to be honest. 

Because he doesnt know and is talking out of his arse, again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fast forwards 12 months.... 'We lost the quality of Holtby and the goals of Armstrong last summer along with the regular right back and the experience of Johnson.  It's a sad day for the club but

The one and only summer transfer that needs to be made is Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus up the road. 

So where's it going wrong at Ewood then, the culture and feel or the data ? How much of those do you need to see people like Holtby and Ayala are unlikely to feature often enough.  Or that Evans

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Joe may claim knowledge on data etc and how it is used, but his opinion is no more valid than anyone elses, nor is is it factual. He does not know the exact inner workings at Rovers, or indeed if we have a list of numerous targets and are well organised behind the scenes, and of course even more importantly, if our targets are any good.

I do claim knowledge, I have qualifications to support that knowledge too. I don't claim my opinions to be fact.

I do know that Rovers, like almost every club, work within certain structures. That is a fact, not a guess or an opinion. You can choose to believe said fact or not believe it.

I can't factually say if a target is good, I can use my knowledge to say what the data says. I don't pretend that its fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for reply. 

I read this week that Karl Robinson is very open to new ideas and data. So it did make me wonder if we could go for him. 

Nixon was saying yesterday that Rovers would look foreign if we were replacing Mowbray. But wouldn;t reveal any names

I wouldnt have mind Nigel Adkins to be honest. 

Why would you want Adkins?

Do you want the club to have ambition or just keep appointing has beens?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I do claim knowledge, I have qualifications to support that knowledge too. I don't claim my opinions to be fact.

I do know that Rovers, like almost every club, work within certain structures. That is a fact, not a guess or an opinion. You can choose to believe said fact or not believe it.

I can't factually say if a target is good, I can use my knowledge to say what the data says. I don't pretend that its fact.

My post was not a criticism, it was just pointing out to chaddy that how you feel the club operates in your opinion does not prove or disprove my opinion, which is that I feel that it is naive and goes against everything we have seen to date to suggest that our scouting network has adequately and effectively put together detailed lists outlining targets for every position, knowing these players are achievable and ones for whom the work is already in place. Our transfer strategy is consistently haphazard, many deals done based on previous contacts, most of our business done near the end of transfer windows, therefore I have no confidence that such chaos will change anytime soon. There is also the issue surrounding the manager, I sadly expect him to remain, and he will have his own targets not agreed upon always by the data gurus, and that would be the case should we appoint someone else too. You go into dangerous ground if you sign players selected by analysts without the full agreement of the manager.

Some of the stuff you mention, that we have lists for example of targets, Mowbray has publically mentioned these in the past so that is a safe assumption to make, although going back to my point, I would not expect that at this stage, considering the way our club lacks proactivity at every level, that numerous targets are ready to go as I mention in my opening paragraph. The assumption can never be made that our club is run in any way efficiency, it clearly is not, the manager has no clue on his future or indeed on his budget, and wont anytime soon with our absent owners.

In regards to the last comment you make, of course. Ultimately, if you pass on an opinion based solely or even partially based on data, it is no more valid than an opinion without using the data, again as far as I am aware you have never claimed otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I do claim knowledge, I have qualifications to support that knowledge too. I don't claim my opinions to be fact.

I do know that Rovers, like almost every club, work within certain structures. That is a fact, not a guess or an opinion. You can choose to believe said fact or not believe it.

I can't factually say if a target is good, I can use my knowledge to say what the data says. I don't pretend that its fact.

You work for a company that makes video games. Nothing to do with football, so claiming facts about knowing how our football club is run is very wide of the mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Surely Bournemouth is his last game in charge.

Gut feeling tells me that they've already had a loose discussion about writing-off the season and going again next season. If they were basing his performance on results alone, as pretty much all clubs do, he'd have been potted already.

I don't like comparing Mowbray to Kean, but the scenario has a familiar feeling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

You work for a company that makes video games. Nothing to do with football, so claiming facts about knowing how our football club is run is very wide of the mark.

I wasn't referencing my role at EA Sports, more my certifications in Football Scouting and my knowledge of Data Analysis. Your assumptions are very wide of the mark.

For your reference I have my FA Talent ID badges, my PFSA Level 2 and Level 3 Advance Reporting, I have undertaken a lot of private work in this sector. I have completed many a course in data analysis and data analysis for football & I have been using industry standard platforms like Wyscout for well over a year.

My claims about how our footballs clubs recruitment works come from connections and knowledge of the industry, not wild claims based on a side job for EA Sports that only you have decided to bring up...

Edited by JoeH
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Some of the stuff you mention, that we have lists for example of targets, Mowbray has publically mentioned these in the past so that is a safe assumption to make, although going back to my point, I would not expect that at this stage

It's not an assumption. It's what I know from what I have been told. It's my experience & knowledge of the way things work. Not just a guess. You can of course choose whether to trust that or not, be my guest, but don't assume I'm just playing with guesswork.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's not an assumption. It's what I know from what I have been told. It's my experience & knowledge of the way things work. Not just a guess. You can of course choose whether to trust that or not, be my guest, but don't assume I'm just playing with guesswork.

I am only talking about at Rovers, my comments are not based on what the normal way that data is used, my comments are based around what I perceived to be chaddys naivety in regards to the functioning of our club, especially on the recruitment side of things, armed with numerous years poor recruitment, including the time those deals have taken to complete.

Your ability to use data I took for granted as being reputable, no reason to doubt you even prior to your qualifications, but my comments were not about data, or "how things work," they were about my low expectations in regards to the inefficiency and lack of quality, care and organisation that seemed evident in regards to our recruitment. 

Out of interest, which clubs and to what degree have you experienced the recruitment side of things within professional clubs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I wasn't referencing my role at EA Sports, more my certifications in Football Scouting and my knowledge of Data Analysis. Your assumptions are very wide of the mark.

For your reference I have my FA Talent ID badges, my PFSA Level 2 and Level 3 Advance Reporting, I have undertaken a lot of private work in this sector. I have completed many a course in data analysis and data analysis for football & I have been using industry standard platforms like Wyscout for well over a year.

My claims about how our footballs clubs recruitment works come from connections and knowledge of the industry, not wild claims based on a side job for EA Sports that only you have decided to bring up...

Who do you scout for then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Out of interest, which clubs and to what degree have you experienced the recruitment side of things within professional clubs?

I should be transparent, as I don't want to be accused of being deceitful. I haven't undertaken any recruitment work within a professional football club, and certainly I wasn't trying to claim as such.

I have undertaken other types of work within Talent ID. I do have some knowledge of how it works from connections in that industry. I have spoken with many people, including people involved at Rovers.

I spoke as I said with a coach at Liverpool's Academy on Saturday morning who had some great insight into the happenings at Rochdale's Cat 3 academy where despite a budget 1/5th the size of Liverpool's, they continue to churn out local talents to be sold or used in their first team. We touched on Harvey Elliott and the message was pretty clear, they're impressed with his time here and there were never any worries of his return to Merseyside in the January window. He was pretty open about the ways in which data has changed youth development, youth recruitment and scouting and its conversations such as these that I feel allow me to say - this is how it usually works and how I've heard it works. 

I'm not claiming my opinions on footballers are facts, because that's a load of tosh, I never would. I don't claim that data for example should be used solely to recruit footballers at any level. I just know for a fact that Rovers do devise lists in those ways, and I know that just because a HoR leaves for another club, it doesn't mean that those targets are also lost.


*and if sharing my knowledge on this is perceived as condescending by some, that's out of my control. People who work within Law would probably be able to share some great knowledge on a thread that references it heavily and I wouldn't personally take it as an insult if they chose to share their thoughts. I am genuinely not actively seeking to speak down to anyone, only share my thoughts and experiences. I am sure there are people on the threads who've undertaken more work within the football industry, and I would welcome their thoughts on Rovers recruitment set up and the ways in which it doesn't or does use data.

Edited by JoeH
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

 I haven't undertaken any recruitment work within a professional football club, and certainly I wasn't trying to claim as such.

Why not?  You've got all those online qualifications,  clubs would be happy to have you work for nothing, just expenses and sign on bonus.    You should put the miles in mate, out virtually every weekday night watching rep football, county etc....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Why not?  You've got all those online qualifications,  clubs would be happy to have you work for nothing, just expenses and sign on bonus.    You should put the miles in mate, out virtually every weekday night watching rep football, county etc....

I wish I could, and one day I will. But I can't. I run a business, I have a 9-5 day job, I have a part time job with EA Sports, I run an Under 7's grassroots team and I'm only 20 years old so I've not got a mass of funds to support the travel it would require.

I simply couldn't fit it in right now. It's absolutely something I'd love to do in the future when time and finance allows, but right now the first step was getting the quals and doing what little tit bits of work I can here and there for certain teams.

I get the gist that it's something you're involved with, which is ace, and one day I'd definitely like to be involved in that too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Does this scouting/data thing only work for players, or does it encompass back room staff, managers etc?

Sadly I'd say data on managers is lacking quite far behind at the moment. It's difficult because I'd say most things you need in a manager are behind closed doors. It's their ability to inspire, to work man to man with footballers on a day to day basis. You can't really track or benchmark those skills. With management I think it's a bit more cut and dry, you have it or you don't. 

That's just the way I see it though. Perhaps others would see a way of tracking manager performance - sheer win % can be easily swayed by the clubs level in the league they're in and the player quality they have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeH said:

I I run an Under 7's grassroots team and I'm only 20 years old

Good on you, Joe.  You've gone up in my estimation.  I'm assuming you didn't have a kid at 14 so well done for volunteering and not a parent.👊👏

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Good on you, Joe.  You've gone up in my estimation.  I'm assuming you didn't have a kid at 14 so well done for volunteering and not a parent.👊👏

No I have thankfully managed to avoid fatherhood thus far! I get them for a few hours a week and I think that's more than enough for now 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I do claim knowledge, I have qualifications to support that knowledge too. I don't claim my opinions to be fact.

I do know that Rovers, like almost every club, work within certain structures. That is a fact, not a guess or an opinion. You can choose to believe said fact or not believe it.

I can't factually say if a target is good, I can use my knowledge to say what the data says. I don't pretend that its fact.

All we can go off are recent signings and let's be honest, they haven't been good, have they? We have signed more players from Boro than Europe under Mowbray, way more. So something isn't working. It's either not being done properly,or the manager is rejecting good proposals.  

Which do you think it is? 

It appears to me that our recruitment is light years behind other clubs in the division. Night and day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I should be transparent, as I don't want to be accused of being deceitful. I haven't undertaken any recruitment work within a professional football club, and certainly I wasn't trying to claim as such.

I have undertaken other types of work within Talent ID. I do have some knowledge of how it works from connections in that industry. I have spoken with many people, including people involved at Rovers.

I spoke as I said with a coach at Liverpool's Academy on Saturday morning who had some great insight into the happenings at Rochdale's Cat 3 academy where despite a budget 1/5th the size of Liverpool's, they continue to churn out local talents to be sold or used in their first team. We touched on Harvey Elliott and the message was pretty clear, they're impressed with his time here and there were never any worries of his return to Merseyside in the January window. He was pretty open about the ways in which data has changed youth development, youth recruitment and scouting and its conversations such as these that I feel allow me to say - this is how it usually works and how I've heard it works. 

I'm not claiming my opinions on footballers are facts, because that's a load of tosh, I never would. I don't claim that data for example should be used solely to recruit footballers at any level. I just know for a fact that Rovers do devise lists in those ways, and I know that just because a HoR leaves for another club, it doesn't mean that those targets are also lost.


*and if sharing my knowledge on this is perceived as condescending by some, that's out of my control. People who work within Law would probably be able to share some great knowledge on a thread that references it heavily and I wouldn't personally take it as an insult if they chose to share their thoughts. I am genuinely not actively seeking to speak down to anyone, only share my thoughts and experiences. I am sure there are people on the threads who've undertaken more work within the football industry, and I would welcome their thoughts on Rovers recruitment set up and the ways in which it doesn't or does use data.

They probably regret that decision now. I assume they could have gotten him a club still in the mix for promotion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They probably regret that decision now. I assume they could have gotten him a club still in the mix for promotion. 

I think it was also implied that not only was it not something they wanted, even if they did, I don’t think it was contractually possible for them to recall. I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I should be transparent, as I don't want to be accused of being deceitful. I haven't undertaken any recruitment work within a professional football club, and certainly I wasn't trying to claim as such.

I have undertaken other types of work within Talent ID. I do have some knowledge of how it works from connections in that industry. I have spoken with many people, including people involved at Rovers.

I spoke as I said with a coach at Liverpool's Academy on Saturday morning who had some great insight into the happenings at Rochdale's Cat 3 academy where despite a budget 1/5th the size of Liverpool's, they continue to churn out local talents to be sold or used in their first team. We touched on Harvey Elliott and the message was pretty clear, they're impressed with his time here and there were never any worries of his return to Merseyside in the January window. He was pretty open about the ways in which data has changed youth development, youth recruitment and scouting and its conversations such as these that I feel allow me to say - this is how it usually works and how I've heard it works. 

I'm not claiming my opinions on footballers are facts, because that's a load of tosh, I never would. I don't claim that data for example should be used solely to recruit footballers at any level. I just know for a fact that Rovers do devise lists in those ways, and I know that just because a HoR leaves for another club, it doesn't mean that those targets are also lost.


*and if sharing my knowledge on this is perceived as condescending by some, that's out of my control. People who work within Law would probably be able to share some great knowledge on a thread that references it heavily and I wouldn't personally take it as an insult if they chose to share their thoughts. I am genuinely not actively seeking to speak down to anyone, only share my thoughts and experiences. I am sure there are people on the threads who've undertaken more work within the football industry, and I would welcome their thoughts on Rovers recruitment set up and the ways in which it doesn't or does use data.

 

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I should be transparent, as I don't want to be accused of being deceitful. I haven't undertaken any recruitment work within a professional football club, and certainly I wasn't trying to claim as such.

I have undertaken other types of work within Talent ID. I do have some knowledge of how it works from connections in that industry. I have spoken with many people, including people involved at Rovers.

I spoke as I said with a coach at Liverpool's Academy on Saturday morning who had some great insight into the happenings at Rochdale's Cat 3 academy where despite a budget 1/5th the size of Liverpool's, they continue to churn out local talents to be sold or used in their first team. We touched on Harvey Elliott and the message was pretty clear, they're impressed with his time here and there were never any worries of his return to Merseyside in the January window. He was pretty open about the ways in which data has changed youth development, youth recruitment and scouting and its conversations such as these that I feel allow me to say - this is how it usually works and how I've heard it works. 

I'm not claiming my opinions on footballers are facts, because that's a load of tosh, I never would. I don't claim that data for example should be used solely to recruit footballers at any level. I just know for a fact that Rovers do devise lists in those ways, and I know that just because a HoR leaves for another club, it doesn't mean that those targets are also lost.


*and if sharing my knowledge on this is perceived as condescending by some, that's out of my control. People who work within Law would probably be able to share some great knowledge on a thread that references it heavily and I wouldn't personally take it as an insult if they chose to share their thoughts. I am genuinely not actively seeking to speak down to anyone, only share my thoughts and experiences. I am sure there are people on the threads who've undertaken more work within the football industry, and I would welcome their thoughts on Rovers recruitment set up and the ways in which it doesn't or does use data.

Fair enough. My comments were regarding my opinion that nothing in the last few years suggests that the organisation especially around recruitment is efficient, is effective, is proactive, is well planned out or is consistent. Your comments seem to be more about how football clubs in general across the board tend to work, we may have lists of targets, indeed the manager often suggests we do, but recruitment at our club has been a mess for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

All we can go off are recent signings and let's be honest, they haven't been good, have they? We have signed more players from Boro than Europe under Mowbray, way more. So something isn't working. It's either not being done properly,or the manager is rejecting good proposals.  

Which do you think it is? 

It appears to me that our recruitment is light years behind other clubs in the division. Night and day. 

Absolutely, where is the consistency? Our budget year in year out (when our seasons tend to end competitively very early due to our constant mediocrity) is not sorted until well after the season ends, so communication between manager and owners is non existent, the manager going to India with a begging bowl weeks into the summer is hardly proactive, and always his interviews prior show he hasnt the foggiest what the budget is, so how can we plan.

There is no rhyme or reason. First signing this summer was Kaminski, one from Europe that was well scouted. The second one was a Boro old boy on a long deal with seemingly no due diligence done in the medical. We sign another European goalkeeper who is nowhere to be seen. Then we do most of the business on the last day, 5 or 6 games in. An aging left back on loan to plug the gap, another Boro old boy on a long deal to sit on the bench, a talented player on loan who seemingly was very much a last minute bonus, and then yet another central midfielder unwanted by his club. And then another few weeks down the line, a player who did very well in his first season here, a Boro old boy, but who is very old yet we for some unknown reason waited so long to sign him back up, even when we already have so many midfielders and who was chronically unfit due to the delay and has rarely featured. 

The lists are clearly hardly watertight either. When we came up, Bauer was clearly our main target at CB. A big, tall, aerielly strong centre back. We didnt get him, so we then signed Rodwell, an injury prone midfielder who Mowbray planned to move there. Hardly similar! You also look up front, he signed Gallagher and publically admitted an interest in Joao, so he is just going for familiar faces. Dack, Gladwin and Brereton all signed based on "playing well" against his teams in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Your comments seem to be more about how football clubs in general across the board tend to work, 

I think the word is "should".....Mowbray and other managers do this, make out we've got it all going on and then its revert to the old boys network because 90% of the lists are not doing Mowbrays contacts any good.  He's a mates mate is Tony, football is done on a nod and a shake and if you can help a mate out great like.  Just feathering the nest

Edited by Sparks Rover
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely, where is the consistency? Our budget year in year out (when our seasons tend to end competitively very early due to our constant mediocrity) is not sorted until well after the season ends, so communication between manager and owners is non existent, the manager going to India with a begging bowl weeks into the summer is hardly proactive, and always his interviews prior show he hasnt the foggiest what the budget is, so how can we plan.

There is no rhyme or reason. First signing this summer was Kaminski, one from Europe that was well scouted. The second one was a Boro old boy on a long deal with seemingly no due diligence done in the medical. We sign another European goalkeeper who is nowhere to be seen. Then we do most of the business on the last day, 5 or 6 games in. An aging left back on loan to plug the gap, another Boro old boy on a long deal to sit on the bench, a talented player on loan who seemingly was very much a last minute bonus, and then yet another central midfielder unwanted by his club. And then another few weeks down the line, a player who did very well in his first season here, a Boro old boy, but who is very old yet we for some unknown reason waited so long to sign him back up, even when we already have so many midfielders and who was chronically unfit due to the delay and has rarely featured. 

The lists are clearly hardly watertight either. When we came up, Bauer was clearly our main target at CB. A big, tall, aerielly strong centre back. We didnt get him, so we then signed Rodwell, an injury prone midfielder who Mowbray planned to move there. Hardly similar! You also look up front, he signed Gallagher and publically admitted an interest in Joao, so he is just going for familiar faces. Dack, Gladwin and Brereton all signed based on "playing well" against his teams in the past.

Considering how tough he looked as a defender is odd but Mowbray the manager has balls the size of raisins.

He really isn't very good at backing himself with an aggressive attacking team or signings outside of his black book.

All about the comfort zone for our Tony.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.