BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

From the link below

THE publication of Rovers accounts’ again underlines the club’s reliance on owners Venky’s but crucially also means the club are now free from a registration embargo imposed by the EFL.

Rovers hit two key deadlines by submitting their profit and sustainability projections with the EFL by the end of March and filing their accounts by the end of June in order to be able to sign players.

The EFL, as part of a new move to increase transparency, has published the names of those clubs that are operating under embargoes and it does not include Rovers, something confirmed to the Lancashire Telegraph by the club.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19430933.blackburns-situation-explained-efl-embargo-announcements/

I find this constant disingenuous nonsense that the LT and indeed our fans come out with ad nauseum to be infuriating, looking at the phrase in bold.

It is made out as if Venkys voluntarily chuck in 20m a year through a genuine passion for the club to do well. When in fact what it means is that they need to raise the finance usually via share issues to cover their own inefficiencies. Whether that be poor supporter engagement, disinterest from the owners leaving incompetent managers in charge, poor pricing policies, inefficient expenditure on transfers and wages, contracts dished out without being earnt, an incompetent CEO on a grossly inflated salary, it may be nigh on impossible to be a competitive and profitable Championship club, but the losses are down to Venkys, and them issuing shares to offset them is not out of love.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I find this constant disingenuous nonsense that the LT and indeed our fans come out with ad nauseum to be infuriating, looking at the phrase in bold.

It is made out as if Venkys voluntarily chuck in 20m a year through a genuine passion for the club to do well. When in fact what it means is that they need to raise the finance usually via share issues to cover their own inefficiencies. Whether that be poor supporter engagement, disinterest from the owners leaving incompetent managers in charge, poor pricing policies, inefficient expenditure on transfers and wages, contracts dished out without being earnt, an incompetent CEO on a grossly inflated salary, it may be nigh on impossible to be a competitive and profitable Championship club, but the losses are down to Venkys, and them issuing shares to offset them is not out of love.

Spot on.

We will lose money every year in this division (unless we get very good at selling players for big profits).

But the scale of our losses are drastically increased through poor ownership and management. Ignoring player sales it does not cost the best part of £20 million a year to finish mid-table or bottom half.

Preston, Barnsley, Millwall, Luton - and others - all finish mid-table or higher without losses remotely near ours. Yes we have a bigger stadium and nicer training ground/Cat A academy. Those things do not cost so much more to fund.

Competent and interested ownership would quickly be able to reduce losses and increase income. Sadly that requires more imagination than Waggott putting £50 on everyone's season tickets and selling a couple of new t-shirts in the shop. It requires a root and branch overhaul of the entire operation.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Spot on.

We will lose money every year in this division (unless we get very good at selling players for big profits).

But the scale of our losses are drastically increased through poor ownership and management. Ignoring player sales it does not cost the best part of £20 million a year to finish mid-table or bottom half.

Preston, Barnsley, Millwall, Luton - and others - all finish mid-table or higher without losses remotely near ours. Yes we have a bigger stadium and nicer training ground/Cat A academy. Those things do not cost so much more to fund.

Competent and interested ownership would quickly be able to reduce losses and increase income. Sadly that requires more imagination than Waggott putting £50 on everyone's season tickets and selling a couple of new t-shirts in the shop. It requires a root and branch overhaul of the entire operation.

Exactly. We cannot praise owners whose disinterest not only stunts us on the field but also increases our losses, simply because they then raise funds via share issues to cover those losses, something they have no choice with!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Exactly. We cannot praise owners whose disinterest not only stunts us on the field but also increases our losses, simply because they then raise funds via share issues to cover those losses, something they have no choice with!

I'm very, very far from a Venkys fan or apologist, but that last part is simply not true.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Yes - completely at odds with the wailing and whinging from Mowbray and Waggott about financial hardship.

So skint that we have to squeeze more and more out of disillusioned fans, yet enough room on the budget to hand out a 3 year deal to Ayala. Same goes for Smallwood, Samuel, Leutwiler and Graham who were needlessly given contract extensions in the midst of a pandemic for no reason. Another 5 figure sum down the drain.

The two sides to Rovers these days. Always find the money from somewhere if certain people want it but then the basics like looking after your support and stadium are neglected.

Think you were perfectly happy signing him at the time, you thought it was a decent signing, after saying we would only sign loan players in that position. You also said we wouldn’t pay a transfer fee for a goalkeeper, we did and a very decent keeper. 
Now you’re saying we shouldn’t have got rid of players leaving us short, let’s see who arrive before we can make a judgment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unsall said:

Think you were perfectly happy signing him at the time, you thought it was a decent signing, after saying we would only sign loan players in that position. You also said we wouldn’t pay a transfer fee for a goalkeeper, we did and a very decent keeper. 
Now you’re saying we shouldn’t have got rid of players leaving us short, let’s see who arrive before we can make a judgment.

I've already made my judgment. I've seen enough already and won't be sucked in by them again - this is how they keep going indefinitely - by large scale turnover in players - self-inflicted - that leaves people craving 'stability' and constantly awarding them more time to oversee the changes.

I think I said we would only sign either a loan or free in defence. Which is what happened. I also predicted that we would be left short in defence, and lo and behold ended up borrowing a couple of teenagers to see us through the second half of the season.

I thought Ayala was a decent signing. That doesn't mean I would have given him a 3 year deal and that was also before the club started crying poverty and put prices up by 25% to cover losses.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

We signed Ayala in Sept 2020 on a three year deal when he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for 8 months!

In the calendar years 2020 and 2021 so far, out of potentially something like 70 Championship games, Ayala has appeared in just 11 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my book, those statistics are damning and I think he's a crock.

We need players who are going to be fit and available for at least 85% of our games (39 out of 46 league games).

To give a bloke of his age, who hadn't kicked a ball in anger for 8 months, a 3 year contact was, IMO, the height of expensive folly and a scandalous waste of money.

In your opinion, most folk thought it was a decent signing, and they do a very stringent medical these days, he got a serious groin injury, it happens, like I said Dack had two serious injuries, it’s part and parcel of the job, in hindsight we wouldn’t have signed anyone who ended up with a long term injury..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I've already made my judgment. I've seen enough already and won't be sucked in by them again - this is how they keep going indefinitely - by large scale turnover in players - self-inflicted - that leaves people craving 'stability' and constantly awarding them more time to oversee the changes.

I think I said we would only sign either a loan or free in defence. Which is what happened. I also predicted that we would be left short in defence, and lo and behold ended up borrowing a couple of teenagers to see us through the second half of the season.

I thought Ayala was a decent signing. That doesn't mean I would have given him a 3 year deal and that was also before the club started crying poverty and put prices up by 25% to cover losses.

We ended up with 3 serious long term injuries, what we supposed to do, we brought a couple of premier youngsters in,1 class player 1 not as good at c/b, and a classy midfielder in Elliott and I bet most of the other clubs in our division would have liked to get him in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think you need to remember the Kean era

How long is this tired excuse going to be rolled out?

We should accept permanent mediocrity because “it could be worse”. If that’s the case we may as well all find something else to do with our time.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We should accept permanent mediocrity because “it could be worse”. If that’s the case we may as well all find something else to do with our time.

As empty as the 'look at Bolton and Bury' etc.

The Kean era, as bad as it was is now a decade and about 150 million ago.

We are well over that fence now but the arse coverers in situ will create parallels if they stay much longer. That seems a bit lost on some who throw out the above 'defenses'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unsall said:

We ended up with 3 serious long term injuries, what we supposed to do, we brought a couple of premier youngsters in,1 class player 1 not as good at c/b, and a classy midfielder in Elliott and I bet most of the other clubs in our division would have liked to get him in.

See my issue is Everyone and their dog knew Ayala was injury prone. Every Boro fan said he is decent but has glass ankles/goes missing in January etc. So he clearly had injury issues before hand. Given the rest of our centre backs bar Warton were injury prone that was a stupid risk to take. It also meant that if we got any unexpected long term injuries - and we did - then we were always likely to struggle. Given we knew about all the defensive issues we knew it would be a risk and one we needlessly imo took. Had we gambled on Ayala and brought in a less injury prone CB to replace Williams and moved him on it would have been less of a risk. As it was it was a stupid gamble - the odds of were in favour of this situation developing. What are we supposed to do? Make sure we don't only have crocks in the centre of defence?

As for the youngsters people would love to have - firstly CB is a key position which requires experience. So we were adding extra risk by using so many youngsters. 

secondly Elliott got played in a rediculous number of positions which can only have harmed his impact for Rovers. Especially when he was false 9. Getting them in is only the start. Using them properly matters too. 

2 hours ago, unsall said:

In your opinion, most folk thought it was a decent signing, and they do a very stringent medical these days, he got a serious groin injury, it happens, like I said Dack had two serious injuries, it’s part and parcel of the job, in hindsight we wouldn’t have signed anyone who ended up with a long term injury..

Yet again it's the contract that causes consternation.

Good player on paper no doubt but taklng in all the elements of the equation, chucking 3 years at a guy over 30 who hasn't proved he can play regularly for 2 thirds of a year. Plus one who was hightailing it to warmer climbs for the money only for it to mysteriously break down at the 11th hour.

Then in comes Mowbray on his white charger with a 3 year 10k+ deal ?

Might just be bad luck wit injury but he hardly looked the part before that. So much so that TM was reaching for his excuses book quickly this time - not suited to our style etc- and all that crap.

Really funny how we allegedly lose out on some players due to wages but always come up trumps when it's an ex boro boy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Really funny how we allegedly lose out on some players due to wages but always come up trumps when it's an ex boro boy. 

I was just about the post the same. We gave our second choice keeper a longer deal than the first. We gave an injury prone over 30 a 3 year contract. And yet we struggle to get more than one year extensions done for other players and have lost out to Preston and the like to players too. Quite the contrast. 

• Like 3

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

So we are out the embargo?  Would have expected us to have had a few signings lined up as soon as embargo lifted.

Have we even signed a recruitment guy yet?

Swag will be loving all these embargos flying around. 

If we are in it it's a great excuse not to spend and there will be lots of "we really want to sign X and Y". 

If we aren't in it we urge caution as we are looking to avoid embargo. Got to make sure we don't cross over the line so need to hold off signings. Cue lots of "we need to be careful" comments. 

Either way no signings will be coming. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I was just about the post the same. We gave our second choice keeper a longer deal than the first. We gave an injury prone over 30 a 3 year contract. And yet we struggle to get more than one year extensions done for other players and have lost out to Preston and the like to players too. Quite the contrast. 

No doubt at all there's a pattern to all this kind of thing now. Owners still too dumb to notice the little advantages being taken sprouting up over the last few years.

Probably willingly blind to it though, keeping the midtable messiah happy.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, unsall said:

and most folk thought Etuhu and Danny Murphy were decent signings !!!

As far as I know, there was only the Middle Eastern option on the table for Ayala - I wonder why !?

Therefore, especially in light of the 'serious groin injury' you refer to, Rovers should have de-risked the deal.  A one year deal with decent basic but big appearance bonus together with a one year option in Rovers' favour.  It's not rocket science!  If Ayala had said no then we should have moved on and we would have been no worse off, in fact in employment costs and medical bills we would have been £1million+ better off.

I wouldn't let Waggott, Mowbray, Venus run a corner shop - IMO, they are not fit for purpose.  

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Spot on. The Tiger Woods mentality:

'I'm going to try and win, what's the point of being in the tournament if I'm not trying to win?'

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Give him a chance? He's had a whole season and been a complete and utter waste of space. If he performs then he will have the fans behind him but if he continues to prop up the treatment table whilst being one of the higher earners then he is obviously going to cop some flack.

So if a player is injured he’s a waste of space, pathetic, like I said Dack is propping up the treatment table but he’s ok is he? Do you think he’s made the injury up, how can you be an utter waste of space when he’s out injured..

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Please read the full thread of the conversation before spouting off , this was in response to the comment "I have never been more apathetic before a season". Personally I was more apathetic prior to another season under Kean than I have ever been under TM. Nothing to do with accepting mediciority, but hey why let details get in the way.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mercer said:

and most folk thought Etuhu and Danny Murphy were decent signings !!!

As far as I know, there was only the Middle Eastern option on the table for Ayala - I wonder why !?

Therefore, especially in light of the 'serious groin injury' you refer to, Rovers should have de-risked the deal.  A one year deal with decent basic but big appearance bonus together with a one year option in Rovers' favour.  It's not rocket science!  If Ayala had said no then we should have moved on and we would have been no worse off, in fact in employment costs and medical bills we would have been £1million+ better off.

I wouldn't let Waggott, Mowbray, Venus run a corner shop - IMO, they are not fit for purpose.  

Not sure you get it, you have a medical and pass it, you sign the player, he got the groin injury later on, think your last paragraph is really what you mean, re the owners and manager etc, to most level headed fan it looked a decent signing but no one can predict injuries..