BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

@roversfan99is there any players that have signed for other clubs that you want have like us to sign?.

Weren't you in favour Rovers not offering new contracts to Bennett, Bell, Evans, Downing and Holtby? 

Who would you target to replace Armstrong if he was to leave? 

No idea to the first and third questions. All I know is we do need to sign some players. Surely this revamped scouting network should be paying for itself.

No I wouldn't have and you know I wouldn't have, but they still need replacing. Johnson and Chapman should have been released too, the former injured already. Some considerable wages shifted but a paper thin squad.

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

The game is played much faster with higher intensity now, so more muscle injuries. Jim Brannigan was never going to pull his hamstring as Nyambe does because he never went down the wing and never had to race back. 

He had to manage a back injury all his career though. Bit of a non argument that though as it was nigh on 40 years ago. I'm making comparisons to more recent times.

The game is quicker than  way way back yes but players are better conditioned and nourished for it. Also the changes in rules and less physical nature of it somewhat balance that out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No idea to the first and third questions. All I know is we do need to sign some players. Surely this revamped scouting network should be paying for itself.

No I wouldn't have and you know I wouldn't have, but they still need replacing. Johnson and Chapman should have been released too

Spot on, just looking at the 2 sides playing each half today, I couldn't find a decent team out of all of them.  No promotion quality here.  A few 18 year olds from Liverpool won't change that.

I like Chapman, always have. Should get a proper go from the start of the season.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I am very surprised that you can't answered the first question given that you are complaining that we haven't made any signings so far but most of signings clubs have made I wouldn't have wanted here. But here is 2 players I think we should have look at Sonny Bradley and Ryan Woods.  

We need a quality defensive centre midfielder in this summer aswell as centre defender, left back and wide player. Apart from that I am happy with what we have, and replacement for Armstrong if he goes this summer. 

Here are some suggestions, for the wide role I would look at Ben Osborn or Luke Freeman from Sheffield United. For the Left back role I can see us going for Charlie Ogilvie as we have been linked for him for the last 18 months. 

How we replace Armstrong strengths in terms of Pace, movement, his quality finishing is going to massive challenge for the club and I would expect we have already a shortlist ready to put in place when we accept a bid. Who we will target I don't know. We have been linked to Jerry Yates from Blackpool who impress me in the league 1 playoff final. I would expect some overseas options on that shortlist. I would look at Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley as previously discuss with you. Maybe look at a loan move for young PL striker or look at signing someone like Hugill on loan from Norwich for a season. 

No I wouldn't have and you know I wouldn't have, but they still need replacing. Johnson and Chapman should have been released too, the former injured already. Some considerable wages shifted but a paper thin squad.

So you agree with me that we shouldn't either of them new deal. Well at least we agree on something. Some of those players will be replace by players like Pike for example for the right back spot to challenge Nyambe. or Butterworth for the 10 spot if we play 4-2-3-1. 

We have got rid of alot of the deadwood finally and we don't need 10 centre midfielders this season. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

1. Where would you expect such a squad to finish under Mowbray, out of interest? 2. Surely with a weaker squad we will be lower in the table?

Assuming that they are similar to Harvey Elliott and Taylor Harwod-Bellis, which is a high standard of loanee, one that has quality that we couldn't normally afford, then that is all well and good, on the top of a squad with the required levels of experience. When you lose the experience that we have done through Holtby, Evans, Bennett etc, correctly so, but call up academy graduates to replace them then start signing loanees who havent played much if any senior football, it seems a recipe for disaster to me especially if we are scrapping at the wrong end of the table.

Reach has been mentioned a lot but he is obviously a downgrade on Elliott, and if Armstrong inevitably goes and we do not bring in a 28 goal striker to replace him, obviously a nigh on impossible task, the whole picture changes. 3. Who is competing to play at left back in your squad?

Fair questions

1. If no one left and we got the four positions I pointed out I would expect mid table just outside the playoffs, but god knows in this league. I would imagine most teams would kill to have a front two of Ben and  Arma.

2. Pickering is a massive upgrade by the sounds of things at LB. Nyambe will be better next year, Travis coming back and looking fit, Brereton is gaining confidence, JRC looking fit? God knows about Ayalas fitness. There are lots of other factors at play than just comparing on paper. The squad last year majorly underperformed and 15th was the floor of the possibilities, Mowbrays jacket should be on a shookly peg. Other clubs in around us are now in embargo, and who knows what some of the other clubs finances looks like. We have billionaire owners that just pump cash in when necessary.

3. Pickering, Reach and JRC in that order.

Edited by Fraserkirky

26 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Never heard of him. But some decent Champ clubs looking at him 6 months ago. We do need another midfield anchor 🤨.

Surely Mowbray will just step aside because it's Middlesbrough though? Whilst at it sign a shite 'Boro player to allow room in their wage budget for Ruddock.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

15 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Never heard of him. But some decent Champ clubs looking at him 6 months ago. We do need another midfield anchor 🤨.

I think we need a quality defensive midfielder in next to Travis if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 then that would allow Travis to play his natural game for me

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we need a quality defensive midfielder in next to Travis if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 then that would allow Travis to play his natural game for me

Yep. I prefer Travis and Rothwell as the two 8’s, and find a sitter that can pass the ball, don’t think Travis is anywhere near cute enough in tight spaces. Bomber for me, box to box.

Bannan would be ideal for that role.

Edited by Fraserkirky

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Need a lot of quality added in midfield, only Travis is Championship quality of our midfield. Rothwell is too inconsistent, Davenport is injury prone and not overly impressive when involved, Buckley too lightweight and Johnson ever since he has turned up has looked unfit and out of shape.

• Like 2

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

Yep. I prefer Travis and Rothwell as the two 8’s, and find a sitter that can pass the ball, don’t think Travis is anywhere near cute enough in tight spaces. Bomber for me, box to box.

Bannan would be ideal for that role.

I think I prefer Buckley and Travis at the minute but if Rothwell can gets best to his form of the 1st season then he would have to start. 

I would have like Ryan Woods for that role but he gone to Birmingham on a free transfer. 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Need a lot of quality added in midfield, only Travis is Championship quality of our midfield. Rothwell is too inconsistent, Davenport is injury prone and not overly impressive when involved, Buckley too lightweight and Johnson ever since he has turned up has looked unfit and out of shape.

thats where I have to disagree. I think we need a quality Defensive midfielder in and then I would be happy with our centre Midfield options

26 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Fair questions

1. If no one left and we got the four positions I pointed out I would expect mid table just outside the playoffs, but god knows in this league. I would imagine most teams would kill to have a front two of Ben and  Arma.

2. Pickering is a massive upgrade by the sounds of things at LB. Nyambe will be better next year, Travis coming back and looking fit, Brereton is gaining confidence, JRC looking fit? God knows about Ayalas fitness. There are lots of other factors at play than just comparing on paper. The squad last year majorly underperformed and 15th was the floor of the possibilities, Mowbrays jacket should be on a shookly peg. Other clubs in around us are now in embargo, and who knows what some of the other clubs finances looks like. We have billionaire owners that just pump cash in when necessary.

3. Pickering, Reach and JRC in that order.

Firstly on the owners, losses are common place and tend to be propped up by the owners, whether it is via share issues or even loans, that is not an advantage. Take Preston, run far more efficiently and proactively, but still make losses which are funded by Trevor Hemmings.

The manager is a key variable that isnt changing so surely underachievement is likely to continue?

I would agree that Armstrong would be an enviable asset for every time in the league, not just most. His future is critical, his goal record is tremendous and would likely always keep our heads above water. Sadly, I just cannot see him staying, unlikely to sign a new deal so otherwise we will lose him for free. Easy to get caught up in Chile mania but Brereton could make himself a decent Championship attacker but at this moment in time he wouldn't get in that many teams.

Other teams may be struggling but we have lost a hell of a lot too, even putting aside the Armstrong situation and the practical impossibility of an equally prolific replacement. Elliott is a huge loss, a big source of goals and also assists and creativity, I would be amazed if we can replace him equally either. You mention Reach, not looked at fondly by Sheffield Wednesday fans, does score and assist to a lesser degree, but if you also had him as second choice left back, he is a Pickering injury or loss of form (looks good on paper but yet to play at this level) away from being taken away from the attacking void to which he would be expected to fill. 

We have lost Williams from the first half of the season and Harwood Bellis from the second. There is no evidence that Ayala will suddenly be able to play much and indeed he was already unable to play today. With Wharton missing the start of the season, we have to sign a first team centre back as well as a left back in my opinion.

In the midfield, I think Ewood Ace hit the nail on the head as quoted. Johansen to be fair would be a clever addition but I think we need more. We have lost Holtby, Evans, Downing and Trybull, 4 experienced options, none of which I would necessarily want again, but all 4 at the moment are better performers than the likes of Buckley and Davenport have proven to be. I think we need at least 2 proven players in there, I am more wary of signing untested kids on loan because we already have a very young squad, and have lost so much experience in there, the likes of Hannibal and Leshebela would be far too risky unless they were on top of 2 proven and experienced players. The hope would be that if we signed at least 2, then Davenport and Buckley could still in theory have so much scope to push through but only should they merit it, rather than being too dependant on them.

Just sounds like I am being miserable and I appreciate that but I just cannot see much to get excited about at the moment.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like the EFL embargo situation has stop Mowbray and Rovers from signing players that they would have liked given Rich Sharpe post match comments. 

Where are the quotes about the embargo stopping us from signing players that we would have liked?

Firstly, I go back to my point, no excuse whatsoever for the club never come out and actually say that we were in and are subsequently no longer in an embargo. Piss poor communication and lack of transparency, again.

Also, really poor full stop to give ourselves an avoidable disadvantage. Sounds like nothing is anything like close, so another excuse too.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Can't argue with that analysis at all.

There are so many assumptions of players breaking through, Buckley will establish himself as a starter, Dolan will establish himself as a starter, Rankin Costello will establish himself as a starter, Chapman will kick on, Carter will kick on, Davenport will kick on, Pike, McBride, Vale and Butterworth will all be regular parts of the squad, in reality there is a balance to be had with youngsters, expecting them all or indeed most to take the first team by storm together is one hell of a dangerous game.

In the midfield, I think Ewood Ace hit the nail on the head as quoted. Johansen to be fair would be a clever addition but I think we need more. We have lost Holtby, Evans, Downing and Trybull, 4 experienced options, none of which I would necessarily want again, but all 4 at the moment are better performers than the likes of Buckley and Davenport have proven to be. I think we need at least 2 proven players in there, I am more wary of signing untested kids on loan because we already have a very young squad, and have lost so much experience in there, the likes of Hannibal and Leshebela would be far too risky unless they were on top of 2 proven and experienced players. The hope would be that if we signed at least 2, then Davenport and Buckley could still in theory have so much scope to push through but only should they merit it, rather than being too dependant on them.

Why do we need more than 6 centre midfielders if we are playing 4-3-3 formation? we had 9 centre midfielders last season on the books. Yes nine. Travis, Davenport, Buckley, Rothwell, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Downing and Trybull. Can't keep stacking players up and blocking the path for Buckley and Davenport otherwise they will never get the experience they need. Every team selection should be based on form and tactics. 

Johansen would have been clever addition but if you want him and another then maybe we have sell Rothwell or loan Davenport out as we can't keep stacking players up plus we have stay within the 25 man squad limited. 

Where are the quotes about the embargo stopping us from signing players that we would have liked?

look at Rich Sharpe twitter account 

Firstly, I go back to my point, no excuse whatsoever for the club never come out and actually say that we were in and are subsequently no longer in an embargo. Piss poor communication and lack of transparency, again.

Did any club come out and say they were in embargo before the final decision was made by EFL? 

It wasn't proper embargo tho but until the club filed their accounts properly and the EFL can read them and make their final decision. 

Plus the EFL wanted to keep things private until the final decision was made by them. So the club couldn't comment until that final decision was made. 

Not sure i'd trust much that swirls around the club these days in regards to embargo etc.

There's been a lot of assumption and little official comment, they seem happy for fans to assume FFP/Embargo is to blame for everything.

They couldn't even throw a straight bat about the training ground stuff. Just a bit of lip service once it had been outed, vague is an understatement. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've had a look, still couldn't see anything?

What i do find strange: Assuming we knew we wouldn't be under an embargo once the accounts were submitted, why did we submit them late, knowing it would put us under an embargo and miss out on signing players we were interested in?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why do we need more than 6 centre midfielders if we are playing 4-3-3 formation? we had 9 centre midfielders last season on the books. Yes nine. Travis, Davenport, Buckley, Rothwell, Johnson, Holtby, Evans, Downing and Trybull. Can't keep stacking players up and blocking the path for Buckley and Davenport otherwise they will never get the experience they need. Every team selection should be based on form and tactics. 

Johansen would have been clever addition but if you want him and another then maybe we have sell Rothwell or loan Davenport out as we can't keep stacking players up plus we have stay within the 25 man squad limited. 

Did any club come out and say they were in embargo before the final decision was made by EFL? 

It wasn't proper embargo tho but until the club filed their accounts properly and the EFL can read them and make their final decision. 

Plus the EFL wanted to keep things private until the final decision was made by them. So the club couldn't comment until that final decision was made. 

Because you are focusing on quantity rather than quality. Davenport and Buckley are both in a combined 5 seasons (Davenport has been here for 3, Buckley in the first team squad properly for 2) yet to convince and really establish themselves as first team players, even when they have played. I think 2 new established players (either in a 3 or even one defensive and one number 10) along with Travis would improve an area that I have not been convinced with for a while. That would then leave Rothwell, Johnson (who is injured now and I really think needs phasing out) along with Davenport and Buckley to compete with them. 4 gone from the wage bill and 2 replacements so we would still be leaner than last season. 

I have looked at Rich Sharpe's twitter and couldnt see anything like you mentioned, hence why I asked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like the EFL embargo situation has stop Mowbray and Rovers from signing players that they would have liked given Rich Sharpe post match comments. 

So who takes responsibility for that?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I've had a look, still couldn't see anything?

What i do find strange: Assuming we knew we wouldn't be under an embargo once the accounts were submitted, why did we submit them late, knowing it would put us under an embargo and miss out on signing players we were interested in?

It's Crooke's account. 

The government relaxed the rules so accounts could be filed 3 months later and received no penalties due to the Covid Pandemic but the EFL didn't move their filling deadline from March to June for some reason I believe from what I have read

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Because you are focusing on quantity rather than quality. Davenport and Buckley are both in a combined 5 seasons (Davenport has been here for 3, Buckley in the first team squad properly for 2) yet to convince and really establish themselves as first team players, even when they have played. I think 2 new established players (either in a 3 or even one defensive and one number 10) along with Travis would improve an area that I have not been convinced with for a while. That would then leave Rothwell, Johnson (who is injured now and I really think needs phasing out) along with Davenport and Buckley to compete with them. 4 gone from the wage bill and 2 replacements so we would still be leaner than last season. 

I have looked at Rich Sharpe's twitter and couldnt see anything like you mentioned, hence why I asked.

I believe Buckley has quality to be regular starter here. 

But I don't know why such high numbers and you got to factor in the EFL 25 man squad rules which you haven't. 

It's Crooke twitter account 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's Crooke's account. 

The government relaxed the rules so accounts could be filed 3 months later and received no penalties due to the Covid Pandemic but the EFL didn't move their filling deadline from March to June for some reason I believe from what I have read

I believe Buckley has quality to be regular starter here. 

But I don't know why such high numbers and you got to factor in the EFL 25 man squad rules which you haven't. 

It's Crooke twitter account 

I think that we are a long way away from worrying about having 25 senior players, isnt it over the age of 21?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So, if we knew an embargo would happen with the EFL, why not just get them in on time to avoid it?  You are either niave or stupid thinking it's all innocent and shame we missed out on all them signings...🙄

Our accounts should have been easier to put together with half a seasons less receipts to process.

The club is run by tossers and you defend them at all costs for some strange reason.🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

I'm not an expert in these sort of things. If I was maybe I could find a job on £300,000 a year.

But I do know that the vast majority of other Championship clubs have all complied with whatever requirements the EFL set, including filing their accounts on time and providing the information required to satisfy the authorities that they were compliant.

Last time I checked the whole country has had to deal with Covid issues so unless I'm missing something I don't know why, yet again, this club seems to have had a harder time in dealing with these things. A bit like our invisible new kit. Yet most other clubs seem to have found theirs somewhere.

If anyone can explain the above then maybe I'll review my opinion which is that we are just run by a collection of con men, shysters, liars and incompetents who have no place at a Championship football club. They will tell us anything and come up with every excuse in the book for their failures.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

So, if we knew an embargo would happen with the EFL, why not just get them in on time to avoid it?  You are either niave or stupid thinking it's all innocent and shame we missed out on all them signings...🙄

Our accounts should have been easier to put together with half a seasons less receipts to process.

The club is run by tossers and you defend them at all costs for some strange reason.🤷‍♂️

Hi Sparks you’re absolutely right. I work in Finance for a billion pound multinational. Monthly accounts are finished in 5 working days. The year end including external audits is approximately 2 weeks as they are in the business from the start of the process. We are owned by an Indian parent company so the lunes from Pune will also have similar working practices. Chester the clown should be shown the door. Sorry he’s only the bitch for Waggot. He must have the dirt on Madam! Definitely incompetence by the clown and his master.

• Like 2