BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that we are a long way away from worrying about having 25 senior players, isnt it over the age of 21?

Well if my understand is correct that any players the age under 21 unless on loan at the club doesn't count towards the list, so players like JRC, Buckley, Brereton would count towards the match day squad count now. Players like Pike, Eastham wouldn't. But I think Butterworth and Carter would count the match day squad. So looking at the current squad I count 21 players that would be match day squad. 

3 hours ago, blondie said:

If the club had the confidence that the embargo would be lifted, then signings should have been lined up.

If a player had the confidence of a contract with a club that they had confidence in, then surely they would have waited.

All this points yet again to a amateurish approach from the Ewood hierarchy, never on the front foot.

Season ticket prices, cheap pitch re-furb,late kit issue.

Do players want to be waiting around for a contract?

The kit issue isn't the club fault as other posters have said. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How are you happy with what we have? I'm sure some of the players signed by clubs already will do well. Many clubs are miles ahead of us when it comes to recruitment networks and results. 

Freeman is too slow I think. Although he is a decent player. 

We have gotten rid of some Deadwood, but currently we have very little wood. Yet again we are an injury or 2 away from catastrophe. At best we are banking on Mowbray turning a group of youngsters into a competitive outfit at this level. I'm not confident of that happening. I would imagine he will confuse them and play some out of position. 

Cos I trust the players we have and I see this as perfect opportunity to bring Carter, Pike, Eastham, Butterworth into the first team match day squad. 

I did a list of current squad and if we get in 4 or 5 players then I would be happy with that. You might not be but I would be, 

Who are these players you think we should have signed cos I said 2 of the players that have signed for new clubs or contracts at their club. Are they other players you think we should have signed? please name them?

26 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I do wonder what the process is when a bid comes in for one of our players.

I imagine it’s something like this…

Waggott takes the call and fields the initial bid. Southampton want Armstrong for £15 million. He then gathers the brain trust of Mowbray, Venus, Cheston and himself. Venus talks about potential replacements and the building work he can do on their house, Mowbray talks about the holes in their trousers, Waggott talks about a player they had at Coventry, and Cheston mumbles that he’s not telling them about the finances as it’s a secret.

After they’ve eventually come to a majority decision, Waggott goes off to look for Suhail. If he’s lucky he’s somewhere in the Lancashire area. He relays the bid and their thoughts and Suhail tells him to expect a response from Venky’s within 10-14 days.

Southampton are ringing every day, but Waggott is ghosting them. It’s only been a week, and Venky’s are busy people so he doesn’t want to bother Suhail or them. They’ll just have to be patient.

Three weeks after the initial phone call Suhail has his answer. Venky’s are holding out for £47 million. Their trusted advisors have told them that’s he’s worth 30, but Balaji has been doing some research and he thinks that’s about right.

Waggott tells Southampton they can’t accept such a low bid, but his football manager playing instincts kick in and he mentions they may be receptive to a part exchange.

Southampton counter, so it’s time to assemble the brain trust again. Mowbray checks the list of players to see if any of them have played for Middlesbrough or at least been on holiday to Redcar, Venus brings up football manager to see if they can play in any other positions, Waggott counts the letters in all the surnames to calculate the projected extra income from shirt printing each player will bring, before providing Suhail with their counter proposal.

By the time Venky’s respond via Suhail, there’s 6 hours left of the transfer window. Southampton’s interest has cooled. In 3 and a half hours Waggott will be delegated the power to “just get some cash in” and accept any bid he deems acceptable. Armstrong goes for £6 million, rising to £8 if he wins the Ballon D’or.

It's never that simple

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I do wonder what the process is when a bid comes in for one of our players.

I imagine it’s something like this…

Waggott takes the call and fields the initial bid. Southampton want Armstrong for £15 million. He then gathers the brain trust of Mowbray, Venus, Cheston and himself. Venus talks about potential replacements and the building work he can do on their house, Mowbray talks about the holes in their trousers, Waggott talks about a player they had at Coventry, and Cheston mumbles that he’s not telling them about the finances as it’s a secret.

After they’ve eventually come to a majority decision, Waggott goes off to look for Suhail. If he’s lucky he’s somewhere in the Lancashire area. He relays the bid and their thoughts and Suhail tells him to expect a response from Venky’s within 10-14 days.

Southampton are ringing every day, but Waggott is ghosting them. It’s only been a week, and Venky’s are busy people so he doesn’t want to bother Suhail or them. They’ll just have to be patient.

Three weeks after the initial phone call Suhail has his answer. Venky’s are holding out for £47 million. Their trusted advisors have told them that’s he’s worth 30, but Balaji has been doing some research and he thinks that’s about right.

Waggott tells Southampton they can’t accept such a low bid, but his football manager playing instincts kick in and he mentions they may be receptive to a part exchange.

Southampton counter, so it’s time to assemble the brain trust again. Mowbray checks the list of players to see if any of them have played for Middlesbrough or at least been on holiday to Redcar, Venus brings up football manager to see if they can play in any other positions, Waggott counts the letters in all the surnames to calculate the projected extra income from shirt printing each player will bring, before providing Suhail with their counter proposal.

By the time Venky’s respond via Suhail, there’s 6 hours left of the transfer window. Southampton’s interest has cooled. In 3 and a half hours Waggott will be delegated the power to “just get some cash in” and accept any bid he deems acceptable. Armstrong goes for £6 million, rising to £8 if he wins the Ballon D’or.

this could be a pretty accurate assesment tbh!!!!!!

Just now, lraC said:

If some had once told me, that we would bring a Malaysian TV pundit, who would come across as a complete moron, in the press, give him the title global advisor and let him sign a clutch of Portuguese duds, I would have thought that was an attempt at satire too.

Sadly, the club has become something of a joke, over the last 10 years, so we need to poke some fun at ourselves now and then. It keeps some of us sane. 

And winds lots of us up and turns us off the point of a forum.

End of the day that’s just my view point, maybe its just bad timing in my part that I catch ;cathartic, unfunny attempts at humour in threads, or unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, or flip flopping, writing off players, accusing posters of “defending the club”, posters accusing renewers as “supporting our decline” etc.

Anyway, to the pub for what should be a historic day for English football. 

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

End of the day that’s just my view point, maybe its just bad timing in my part that I catch ;cathartic, unfunny attempts at humour in threads, or unsubstantiated conspiracy theories, or flip flopping, writing off players, accusing posters of “defending the club”, posters accusing renewers as “supporting our decline” etc.

It shows you care and a bit of sarcastic humour, isn’t up everyone’s street.

Enjoy the pub and the day. Hope we are all on a high later.

13 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Sorry if you didn’t like it. Perhaps I got a bit carried away, but there is a serious point in there about how our convoluted decision making processes and unclear remits aren’t really conducive to effective transfer business. I think 168 pages with nothing more concrete than a couple of Nixon stories attests to this.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well if my understand is correct that any players the age under 21 unless on loan at the club doesn't count towards the list, so players like JRC, Buckley, Brereton would count towards the match day squad count now. Players like Pike, Eastham wouldn't. But I think Butterworth and Carter would count the match day squad. So looking at the current squad I count 21 players that would be match day squad. 

Do players want to be waiting around for a contract?

The kit issue isn't the club fault as other posters have said. 

Cos I trust the players we have and I see this as perfect opportunity to bring Carter, Pike, Eastham, Butterworth into the first team match day squad. 

I did a list of current squad and if we get in 4 or 5 players then I would be happy with that. You might not be but I would be, 

Who are these players you think we should have signed cos I said 2 of the players that have signed for new clubs or contracts at their club. Are they other players you think we should have signed? please name them?

Ok, that's great you trust them. I believe they are good young players. Doesn't change who the manager is though, does it? You think this young team will succeed in spite of him? Has that ever happened in football before? Give me an example of when it has. 

Depends on who the 4-5 are ,surely? Bit early to be saying we are happy with them yet, no? 

Well you just posted that we missed out on 3 players because of the "embargo" so I have little doubt you would have been saying they were good signings if we got them, right? So the cub have admitted we have missed out on 3, or maybe they are lying to save face in a weird way. Difficult to know. Either way most other clubs are doing business insofar as what they feel they need. We aren't. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The Championship is a massive step down - as Armstrong will find.

I'd take Obafemi and cash for Armstrong. That'd be a great deal for us - we lack pace.

He does pace and some tricky. Getting him as part of the deal could be sensible move by the club and management. If Yates is too expensive then maybe getting him might be sensible. He has scored goals against Chelsea and Manchester United. 

48 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Obafemi would be worth what on the market? £10m with some Premier League goals and his age/club? So him permanently, plus £7-8m for Armstrong would be a great deal. A deal where we sell Armstrong and get MO on loan is the complete opposite.

I'm thinking 12 to 15 million pounds for Armstrong and getting Obafemi would cut down how much Newcastle get and would allow us to reinvested in other players we need

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Obafemi would be worth what on the market? £10m with some Premier League goals and his age/club? So him permanently, plus £7-8m for Armstrong would be a great deal. A deal where we sell Armstrong and get MO on loan is the complete opposite.

What about Obafemi's wages? If Gallagher was on a reputed £35k weekly he will likely be on similar. Compared to Armstrong's wages I would think there is a huge difference of say £60k monthly which equates to £750k annually more for an unproven player if we match his Southampton salary.

There is a buggeration factor in there but you get my drift.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm thinking 12 to 15 million pounds for Armstrong and getting Obafemi would cut down how much Newcastle get and would allow us to reinvested in other players we need

Do you honestly think that we can just circumnavigate the rules.  They will take a valuation  on the player and we will need to pay Newcastle a percentage of his value.  You read too much twitter.

Invest in players?  It will just take a bit out of the clubs losses.🙄

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

What about Obafemi's wages? If Gallagher was on a reputed £35k weekly he will likely be on similar. Compared to Armstrong's wages I would think there is a huge difference of say £60k monthly which equates to £750k annually more for an unproven player if we match his Southampton salary.

There is a buggeration factor in there but you get my drift.

Absolutely.   

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He does pace and some tricky. Getting him as part of the deal could be sensible move by the club and management. If Yates is too expensive then maybe getting him might be sensible. He has scored goals against Chelsea and Manchester United. 

I would be surprised if we got Obafemi on a permanent plus 15 million, it would be as good a deal as we could get though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok, that's great you trust them. I believe they are good young players. Doesn't change who the manager is though, does it?

Yet again, You want to keep moaning about the manager staying but is the much point? 

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Depends on who the 4-5 are ,surely? Bit early to be saying we are happy with them yet, no? 

Like I said I would happy with the squad with 4/5 signings we need plus who we replace Armstrong with. I suggested a player I would look to sign like Ben Osborn for the wide position we need to filled.

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well you just posted that we missed out on 3 players because of the "embargo" so I have little doubt you would have been saying they were good signings if we got them, right? So the cub have admitted we have missed out on 3, or maybe they are lying to save face in a weird way.

I gave you 2 players yesterday who I would have signed if we haven't been embargo of Sonny Bradley and Ryan Woods. Bradley re-signed at Luton and Woods signed for Birmingham. 

If you want to not believe the club then thats your decision. 

On 06/07/2021 at 17:04, Fraserkirky said:

Would really appreciate that Obafemi kid on loan as part of the deal.

This is exactly what I was about to post, I’m betting Saints have significantly increased the bid otherwise why not wait a few more weeks. 
14/15m plus Obafemi on loan is a good deal.

I said Obafemi on loan and 14/15m would be a good deal over a week ago, but bugger it 14/15m and Obafemi on a permanent would be perfect.
He has struggled for gametime at Saints and is also out contract next summer I believe. Would put him around 5m range. FM21 has him at 11k a week

There is something in this. Would be perfect wide right of the three forwards.

Edited by Fraserkirky

37 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again, You want to keep moaning about the manager staying but is the much point? 

Equally, what is the point in suggesting and discussing rumoured transfer targets? It has equal relevance (none) to what will happen, but people are just discussing it on a forum. 

Fact of the matter is that he is a hindrance that cant be swept under the carpet until he either is finally sacked, leaves or creates a sudden and remarkably unexpected resurgence. And his existence in his current role is of massive relevance both to recruitment and indeed how our season is likely to unfold. So yes, people will continue to "moan" about him as long as he is playing the role of underperforming manager.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Equally, what is the point in suggesting and discussing rumoured transfer targets? It has equal relevance (none) to what will happen, but people are just discussing it on a forum. 

Fact of the matter is that he is a hindrance that cant be swept under the carpet until he either is finally sacked, leaves or creates a sudden and remarkably unexpected resurgence. And his existence in his current role is of massive relevance both to recruitment and indeed how our season is likely to unfold. So yes, people will continue to "moan" about him as long as he is playing the role of underperforming manager.

If you want to continue to keep discussing Mowbray and his future daily then fair enough but please leave me out of it. I've made my feelings and opinions very clear about Mowbray and to a point I can't be anymore clear. 

But isn't stop going to stop discussing transfer stories and rumours in the correct thread. And also looking forward to getting back to Ewood Park and supporting and enjoying watching my team after the last 16 months. 

I actually think that Mowbray is right to have a grievance as to the incompetence above him that had caused us to be under a totally avoidable transfer embargo. As it is, said incompetence from our handsomely paid CEO and of course the continued negligence of our owners helps to keep him in a job that he no longer merits, so I suppose it is swings and roundabouts in that if the owners and the running of the club were proactive and effective, then he wouldn't be here.

The Obafemi rumour seems like a Nixon special, there is "a lot to do on the deal" ie it is unlikely to materialise but cannot be proven wrong. As it is, a swap could be a very useful method of getting in a replacement, although I am unsure if Obafemi would be valued to ensure that Newcastle are not short changed by a loop hole on any deal.

As it is, Obafemi is a very raw kid who no one can claim to really have seen much of, very little senior experience and 4 career goals, plus a serious muscular injury last season. Him replacing a 28 goal striker might well be the best that we can get, assuming it is a permanent deal rather than a loan which would be a no go 100%. But it would be hard to view the deal as anything other than a massive downgrade, replacing a proven goalscorer with a raw talent, on the back of losing Elliott, it all doesnt really bode well but with Armstrong having only a year left, what else can we do?!

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said I would happy with the squad with 4/5 signings we need plus who we replace Armstrong with. I suggested a player I would look to sign like Ben Osborn for the wide position we need to filled.

I gave you 2 players yesterday who I would have signed if we haven't been embargo of Sonny Bradley and Ryan Woods. Bradley re-signed at Luton and Woods signed for Birmingham. 

If you want to not believe the club then thats your decision. 

I wouldn't say I'm "moaning" , just dealing with reality. You're saying we are going to challenge for the play offs and that the squad we have now is good, but we need 4-5 signings , of which we have zero at the moment. You seem to have put the fact we have Mowbray as manager in a compartment and have decided to ignore that elephant in the room and focus on being positive, but don't be surprised when people say "wait a minute chaddy, that's all well and good, but we still have an average, at best manager , who won 2 games in 17 last season and now appears to have lost the dressing room"  and that's ignoring the other elephant,which is venkys. It doesn't bode well. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

We'll get an undisclosed fee and no player if he moves to Saints.

Just window dressing all this talk and IF there was some player coming north then likely just a young loanee.

Obafemi on loan, at best. I would be SHOCKED if they let him leave on a permanent as part of any deal. Why would they? Nobody is going to be bidding 25 million, so why would they offer 15 plus a player who I believe they value at between 8 and 10 

I caveat this with the fact they wanted 5 million for Gallagher and Obafemi is rated far more highly there and has scored goals in the Premier League. Wishful thinking even getting him on loan I feel. Would be great though! He has serious pace. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1