BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

we are meant to be close to appointing John Park as head of recruitment. Discovered Virgil Van Dijk.

Is this like the time Steve Kean discovered Phil Jones?

(Current U18's captain Phil Jones.)

Edited by Angry_Pirate

42 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He has his own thread 

Ok, still going to be relevant to our transfer dealings though. Hopefully we can get things moving a bit now...supposedly has a rep for finding hidden gems, which we are going to need with our bullshit budget.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I imagine it will 5 or 6 in total cos our current squad has 19 players thats meet the 25 man squad rules that we must submit in after the window. So we will be able to sign 6 players unless we sell anyone to allow us sign another player. 

For me, We need centre back, back up left back, defensive midfielder, wide left player and the main one is how do we replace Armstrong as our main striker

@roversfan99 this answers your previous question

Is this true that we have 19?

The rules are that you can have 25, these 25 include loanees but exclude those who are permanent and are under 21, presumably that this season will be those born after the 1st January 2000:

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/championship-squad-list/

From our 25 man squad last season, we have lost Bell, Bennett, Branthwaite, Douglas, Downing, Elliott, Evans, Harwood-Bellis, Holtby, Lyons, Trybull, Williams, plus there is no need to register Magloire and Armstrong is obviously set to depart. So that is 14 more spaces available.

Pickering will take one of those, Chapman will take one of those, Carter will (by 2 weeks) as will Butterworth, lets for now assume that we keep those 2 around the squad. As will Buckley and Brereton who didnt last season. So that is 6, leaving 8 spaces for my calculations. 9 if you assume that Pears is loaned out and we bring in alternative back up in goal.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The rules are that you can have 25, these 25 include loanees but exclude those who are permanent and are under 21, presumably that this season will be those born after the 1st January 2000:

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-championship/championship-squad-list/

I told you the rules recently so I don't need to be told thanks Roversfan99. 

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is this true that we have 19? 

So that is 14 more spaces available.

Pickering will take one of those, Chapman will take one of those, Carter will (by 2 weeks) as will Butterworth, lets for now assume that we keep those 2 around the squad. As will Buckley and Brereton who didnt last season. So that is 6, leaving 8 spaces for my calculations. 9 if you assume that Pears is loaned out and we bring in alternative back up in goal.

Yes

GK- Kaminski, Pears, Stergiakis

Def- Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Wharton, Carter, Pickering

Mid- JRC, Rothwell, Buckley, Davenport, Johnson, Travis, Chapman

Str- Armstrong, Brereton, Gallagher, Butterworth

That's 21 players just there. 

Then we have Pike who will be back right right back, Dolan for the wing and McBride for up front. 

So where your 9 spaces? I kept telling you that we can't be signing loads of players to the 25 man squad rules. Maybe you should have been listening to me? 

So we need a centre back, back up left back, centre midfielder and wide left player. Then a replacement for Armstrong. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes

Then we have Pike who will be back right right back, Dolan for the wing and McBride for up front. 

So where your 9 spaces? I kept telling you that we can't be signing loads of players to the 25 man squad rules. Maybe you should have been listening to me? 

So we need a centre back, back up left back, centre midfielder and wide left player. Then a replacement for Armstrong. 

If you would like to be unnecessarily patronising, at least count correctly.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes

Firstly there is only 20 names there. You make one space by loaning out either Pears and the Greek lad so that they can play competitive first team football. Then you have the likes of Davenport, Buckley, Chapman and Butterworth who are not up to standard for the Championship and should be in some cases loaned out and in other cases sold. Do that and then you have 10 spaces left and if Armstrong goes then you have 11.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If you would like to be unnecessarily patronising, at least count correctly.

well not cos Dack will be back before Christmas 

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Firstly there is only 20 names there. You make one space by loaning out either Pears and the Greek lad so that they can play competitive first team football. Then you have the likes of Davenport, Buckley, Chapman and Butterworth who are not up to standard for the Championship and should be in some cases loaned out and in other cases sold. Do that and then you have 10 spaces left and if Armstrong goes then you have 11.

Yes loan one of the keeper out, fair enough but Buckley would be regular starter for next season and Davenport and Butterworth should stay around the squad for the season. Both will be needed this season

So what's the point in loan or selling him when we have just re sign him. 

So that's 6 spaces including a replacement for Armstrong. 

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes loan one of the keeper out, fair enough but Buckley would be regular starter for next season and Davenport and Butterworth should stay around the squad for the season. Both will be needed this season

That's your opinion but I don't think they are good enough and I would be in some cases loaning out in other cases looking to move on permanently in order to make space to bring some Championship experience and quality into the squad. You think we should be top 6 this season do you seriously think that those 3 players are good enough for that?

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't have re signed him and let's be honest we all know that Mowbray isn't his biggest fan and that he is barely going to feature this season. Again I'll ask the same question do you think Chapman is good enough for a side aiming for top 6?

In fact can you seriously look at that list of 20 players that you listed and think that looks a good Championship squad and with a 4 additions it should be top 6?

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We should be trying to assemble a squad capable of promotion.

Reading the last few pages it sounds like we are simply trying to assemble a squad.

With the current management I'm afraid a squad that can survive in this league is about the best we can realistically expect for next season. Promotion isn't even a consideration anymore in my eyes until he is gone.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We should be trying to assemble a squad capable of promotion.

Reading the last few pages it sounds like we are simply trying to assemble a squad.

They had 12 million and countless wage stretches and loan fees to do that over the past 3 seasons.

They totally 100% blew it so here we are set to scrabble about filling out half a squad with no money.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That's your opinion but I don't think they are good enough and I would be in some cases loaning out in other cases looking to move on permanently in order to make space to bring some Championship experience and quality into the squad. You think we should be top 6 this season do you seriously think that those 3 players are good enough for that?

How many times do I really need to say this that Buckley would be regular Starter in my team? 

Butterworth and Davenport would be squad players. 

25 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I wouldn't have re signed him and let's be honest we all know that Mowbray isn't his biggest fan and that he is barely going to feature this season. Again I'll ask the same question do you think Chapman is good enough for a side aiming for top 6?

Yet again, I think I have make my opinion on Chapman over the past 18 months quite clear. Do I need to repeat it again? 

27 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

In fact you can seriously look at that list of 20 players that you listed and think that looks a good Championship squad and with a 4 additions it should be top 6?

Well we have some quality players in the squad like Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis, Ayala, Armstrong. and depending on who those additions are we see where come end of the transfer window. I can name who I would target but is it worth it?

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

When has Butterworth had the championship minutes for you to come to the conclusion he isn't Championship standard?

I respect you have formed an opinion on Davenport, Chapman and Buckley as they have played but I'm wondering how you can be so certain about Butterworth?

I'm not saying he will be but to write him off with such certainty when he has been injured the majority of the last two seasons and when fit was one of the better performers for the under 23s and he didn't look too shabby when he got an opportunity with the first team?

I agree not top 6 but it's looking like the taps now turned off for Mowbray and he is here for at least the season so we are most likely going to need Butterworth and hope he can contribute

Edited by islander200

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

When has Butterworth had the championship minutes for you to come to the conclusion he isn't Championship standard?

I respect you have formed an opinion on Davenport, Chapman and Buckley as they have played but I'm wondering how you can be so certain about Butterworth?

I'm not saying he will be but to write him off with such certainty when he has been injured the majority of the last two seasons and when fit was one of the better performers for the under 23s and he didn't look too shabby when he got an opportunity with the first team?

'Didn't look too shabby' that is setting the bar rather low. In the few games I've seen him involved in he's never shown anything to suggest that at the moment he is of the required standard. Also given his injury record I have concerns about whether he could physically cope with the rigours of Championship football. The best thing for us and him would be to loan him out let him try to stay fit, play some regular first team football then re-examine the situation either in January or in the summer. He's coming up 22 he needs to start playing regular first team football if he is to have any hope of developing instead of staying at Rovers being on the fringes of a squad just getting some minutes here and there.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

So that's 6 spaces including a replacement for Armstrong. 

Davenport hasn't been fit enough or good enough to be given a run in the team in the 3 years he's been at the Club. He's made 25 appearances, most of them off the bench, in 3 years. You want to rely on him?

What has suddenly changed to make him a trusted, reliable Championship quality player?

The same goes for Harry Chapman.

Just because they are here doesn't mean they are good enough or that we shouldn't strive to improve on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

'Didn't look too shabby' that is setting the bar rather low. In the few games I've seen him involved in he's never shown anything to suggest that at the moment he is of the required standard. Also given his injury record I have concerns about whether he could physically cope with the rigours of Championship football. The best thing for us and him would be to loan him out let him try to stay fit, play some regular first team football then re-examine the situation either in January or in the summer. He's coming up 22 he needs to start playing regular first team football if he is to have any hope of developing instead of staying at Rovers being on the fringes of a squad just getting some minutes here and there.

Mate he has been involved a couple of times.You say things with such certainty,you have no idea if he will be up to championship standard or not.He has not played enough to make a judgement.

Last season you had the same confidence that Brererton (not saying he has been spectacular) would end up in league 2 or Conference and he ended up playing in the Copa America.All I'm saying is you can't be so certain.

Agree a loan might be the best for him but until/if we sign players we can't be letting any forwards out 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not aimed at you in particular chaddy but

When we tank

"let's give him until the end of the season and see where we are then"

When it doesn't improve

"let's see who he brings in in the summer"

when there's no sign of activity

"let's see where we are by the end of the window"

when we start badly 

"let's give him until Christmas and see where we are then"

When the congested Christmas period goes badly

"let's give him the chance to see what we can do in the January window"

When the season is dead by February

"No point getting rid of him with only ---- games to go"

And on and on it goes.

Well that's certainly been the routine for the past 3 seasons. 🤮

Some fans (I fear), will only accept relegation - with Mowbray completing the full 46 games - before they accept he has failed.

Then, there will STILL be those saying "why sack him now? He got us out of this league first attempt last time".

Nightmare.

• Like 5

• Backroom
45 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Well that's certainly been the routine for the past 3 seasons. 🤮

Some fans (I fear), will only accept relegation - with Mowbray completing the full 46 games - before they accept he has failed.

Then, there will STILL be those saying "why sack him now? He got us out of this league first attempt last time".

Nightmare.

Well bugger me, I've no hope now!

• Like 2