BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

On Armstrong players are the best way to alleviate the sell on fee to the barcodes so I would be very much in favour of players in part exchange. As others have stated however they cannot be crocks - we simply can't afford that. 

That's what i'm saying it's pointless just looking for any sort of player exchange to cut down the sell on. You fear that kind of thing though with these lot now, shrugging shoulders and saying yes. We'll get him fit with our downgraded medical dept, then we'll get 10 games a season in the Championship out of him.

Meanwhile he's on a 3-4 yr 10 grand a week deal or something stupid.

Pointless as it costs more in the long run so lets just stick to only bringing in what we need and want.

Just now, tomphil said:

That's what i'm saying it's pointless just looking for any sort of player exchange to cut down the sell on. You fear that kind of thing though with these lot now, shrugging shoulders and saying yes. We'll get him fit with our downgraded medical dept, then we'll get 10 games a season in the Championship out of him.

Meanwhile he's on a 3-4 yr 10 grand a week deal or something stupid.

Pointless as it costs more in the long run so lets just stick to only bringing in what we need and want.

Any sort of player I would agree with. Don't do it for the sake of it. And certainly not some crock. Haven't we learnt enough from Ayala, Evans etc. to know that it costs us? So yes anyone with a dubious fitness record stay away from. 

But decent players in positions we need? That's another story. There's no 40 percent sell on fee with them. We get all the benefit. Another benefit of this is there should be someone suitable. Goodness we are short in most positions so the chances of there being someone decent that we would want in a position we need strengthening is likely. The other bonus if it's a permanent transfer is we actually have an asset and we have a bit more consistency to the squad long term. Any money would go on Tony doing Pep or Jurgen a favour. 

So yeah, player exchange really works for me. 

• Like 1

Sam McQueen's contract expired at Southampton on July 1st, but they are allowing him to continue using their training facilities. It sounds like a Gladwin situation at their end. Hasenhuttl has come out and said it would be a miracle if he made it back on the pitch due to issues around his injury. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I take it you've not watched much Championship football?

It's a doggers league - that Starting XI is good enough to finish mid-table. Whether they would under THIS manager is another matter. 

Your last sentence sums everything up , he has too GO.

• Like 1

Be very surprised if Rovers go anywhere near Sam McQueen from what I've read, the lads had some bad luck with injury. No football in over two years, then on loan to Middlesbrough in 2018-19 for 5 games. 

Armstrong's transfer will be crucial in sorting out any new blood in our club but my confidence in the current management structure is that low I'm struggling to see this being sorted out in time for an abled squad to hit the road running.  

• Like 2

I'm struggling to understand why our incoming business is dependent upon a resolution to the Armstrong saga.

Within the last couple of weeks we've shed from the wage bill Evans, Bennett, Mulgrew, Bell, Downing and Holtby. Any guesses as to weekly savings there alone? I'll go for a minimum £65,000. A week.

Then there's other savings- loans going back and Williams offloaded.

Probably not too far away from £100,000 per week all put together (at a guess).

Why do we need to shift Armstrong to bring in free agents or pay small fees?

I suspect the answer is because we don't. They'll sell the Armstrong departure on the basis it will enable investment but we will see hardly anything coming back in.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.footballfancast.com/southampton-fc-news/southampton-sam-mcqueen-ralph-hasenhuttl-saints

Giving us a player that the manager said only a few months ago probably wouldn't play again.

How generous.

Absolutely.

However - injury prone - been at Middlesbrough - ticks all our boxes. Expect a 5 Yr deal on 20k p.w. to be announced this week.

Even if he didn't have a disastrous fitness record, why would we need another LB having signed Pickering anyway?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm struggling to understand why our incoming business is dependent upon a resolution to the Armstrong saga.

Within the last couple of weeks we've shed from the wage bill Evans, Bennett, Mulgrew, Bell, Downing and Holtby. Any guesses as to weekly savings there alone? I'll go for a minimum £65,000. A week.

I suspect the answer is because we don't. They'll sell the Armstrong departure on the basis it will enable investment but we will see hardly anything coming back in.

You said the same the last summer and summer before and they did invest in the team.

The club haven't come out and said signings are dependent on an Armstrong sale.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Sam McQueen's contract expired at Southampton on July 1st, but they are allowing him to continue using their training facilities. It sounds like a Gladwin situation at their end. Hasenhuttl has come out and said it would be a miracle if he made it back on the pitch due to issues around his injury. 

Just what we need----3 Ayalas. What are we--a bloody charity?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

Be very surprised if Rovers go anywhere near Sam McQueen from what I've read, the lads had some bad luck with injury. No football in over two years, then on loan to Middlesbrough in 2018-19 for 5 games. 

Armstrong's transfer will be crucial in sorting out any new blood in our club but my confidence in the current management structure is that low I'm struggling to see this being sorted out in time for an abled squad to hit the road running.  

the word middlesborough to mowbray is like jam to a wasp,most likely means the deal will go ahead and mqueen will be a resident of the ayala/grella suite,whatever happens,the deal needs to be done soon or there won`t be time to get a replacement in,maybe there won`t be a replacement and tony is about to do the unthinkable and put the inexperienced dolan in armstrongs place,anything is possible with this lot

25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You said the same the last summer and summer before and they did invest in the team.

The club haven't come out and said signings are dependent on an Armstrong sale.

It does feel very different this time round though.

The end of a cycle caused by Mowbray's calamitous mismanagement of (as you say) very generous backing.

Yet for some reason they won't can the guy that's fooked everything up for us.

• Like 3

"Here's how recruitment works at this Club John".

"Give a player an offer for a fraction of what he wants at the start of the window which has no chance whatsoever of being accepted. Then after a while leak our purported interest in him to make it look like we're doing something. Then wait until we eventually get gazumped by a Club offering the player what he wants then go public with a sob story about how we "did all we could" but couldn't compete with a bigger Club etc etc".

"Then wait until right at the end of the transfer window and see what crumbs are left on the cheap from the Premier League loan table irrespective of whether they are the players we need the most in the positions that need filling the most".

"Easiest 100k p.a. you'll ever earn mate. Should do you a treat for the next 2-3 years until retirement".

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely.

However - injury prone - been at Middlesbrough - ticks all our boxes. Expect a 5 Yr deal on 20k p.w. to be announced this week.

Even if he didn't have a disastrous fitness record, why would we need another LB having signed Pickering anyway?

He got injured while on loan at Boro, still only 26 so the above contract terms do seem a goer for BoroBoy TM to ease any lasting Boro guilt......

And he lets players judge their own fitness so no trouble with medicals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

You’re struggling to understand how the influx of up to £20m effects our decision making around signings? Maybe the cheap, free agents you talk about aren’t first choice and the sale of AA would mean they could opt for their first choices across three or four positions?

I have a feeling they’ve been waiting for the new head of recruitment and the potential AA money to make their move. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You have to admire Southampton's front I suppose.

Word must have got round in footballing circles about what a soft touch we are.

Nothing confirmed they have offered McQueen?

I think it is complete bull considering their manager said it will be a struggle for him to play again.

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You’re struggling to understand how the influx of up to £20m effects our decision making around signings? Maybe the cheap, free agents you talk about aren’t first choice and the sale of AA would mean they could opt for their first choices across three or four positions?

I have a feeling they’ve been waiting for the new head of recruitment and the potential AA money to make their move. 

Hopefully not, be an awful shame to see Mowbray being given any of the Armstrong money to make permanent signings.

The man should be gone and no way should he be getting more money to fritter away giving 2 or 3 year deals to players because they played well for him or against him a couple of times 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Sounds the perfect signing 

In April 2021, Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhüttl said it would be a "miracle" if McQueen played again.[21]"

Exactly, so reading that it's most likely complete bull that he has been offered to us as part of a deal.

Is there actually an article stating he has been offered to us or are people working themselves up in to a frenzy because someone has guessed it's McQueen that has been offered?

Just had a look and he is out of contract so it can't be him who has been offered.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It has not been a tactical move to wait for Armstrong to leave before making a move in the transfer market, our lack of proactivity in the transfer market is a given every single season, plus even then, we have spent most of the summer in a totally unavoidable transfer embargo. So we literally couldn't sign anyone.

We cannot indefinitely hold on for an Armstrong windfall, the transfer saga will likely not conclude any time soon and we urgently need reinforcements. We should already have a budget, it may be miniscule as ever but we should be working with that and if indeed Armstrong does leave, we could then buy a replacement with that money (a replacement who we should already have in mind), perhaps another attacking player as adequately replacing Armstrong will be impossible, and then keep the rest of the money, partly to reinvest in the future. Holding off until Armstrong leaves is not a feasible strategy.

The head of recruitment is certainly no excuse for our lack of business either. We was told when Stuart Harvey left that it would not impact us.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

If we are signing McQueen, I don’t think even we’d be stupid enough to sign him as part of the Arma deal, if he’s not even under contract and training with them to pass the time.