BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I was happy with the first season back in the championship after our league 1 promotion. 

second season I was ok with until this pandemic stop the season. 

3rd season was unacceptable looking back and he was financially backed again by the owners so to finish 15th was unacceptable 

Any manager worth a toss would have got us promoted from League 1 with the squad and finances Mowbray had, since then it's been mediocre at best with last season being absolute dross. His failure to address key squad deficiencies, his poor management of younger players, his tactical ineptitude, his bizarre positioning of players and reliance on his past their sell by favourites and that's not including some of the pearls of wisdom that he's spewed out make him an absolute tragedy.

• Like 3

Just now, blue_n_white99 said:

Any manager worth a toss would have got us promoted from League 1 with the squad and finances Mowbray had, since then it's been mediocre at best with last season being absolute dross. His failure to address key squad deficiencies, his poor management of younger players, his tactical ineptitude, his bizarre positioning of players and reliance on his past their sell by favourites and that's not including some of the pearls of wisdom that he's spewed out make him an absolute tragedy.

I think we can agree on last season but have to agree to disagree on the first 2 seasons

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Nail on head Rev, Waggot is totally out of his depth

Sadly, I think there are so many connected to Rovers who are hugely out of their depth.

IMO, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson would never get another job at Championship level working with a first team.  For me, it's the stuff of nightmares.  Nevermind, at least @chaddyroversis happy - he thinks they are better than Sean Dyche!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Sadly, I think there are so many connected to Rovers who are hugely out of their depth.

IMO, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson would never get another job at Championship level working with a first team.  For me, it's the stuff of nightmares.  Nevermind, at least @chaddyroversis happy - he thinks they are better than Sean Dyche!

For some ridiculous reason I always have this image that you look like Jason Mercier (professional poker player). I know,  there are a lot of broken biscuits in my head.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has been a good manager for most of his time here but the 12 months hasn't been good enough. 

Lambert was a good appointment by Venkys. 

Did Venkys sack Berg or Appleton? or was it Shebby who did it?

Think you are totally wrong.

He took us down when he was employed to keep us up and, IMO, we've had years of turgid football with only countless soundbites and bullsh1t emanating from his mouth to show for his tenure.  We are in a total mess which, IMO, has everything to do with Mowbray's mismanagement of his squad and his ineffectiveness in player trading. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Last time we had all these similar issues we had no proper CEO and no long term steady manager.

So the real question is why is all this happening again ?

Probably because India has lost interest again aside from leaving instruction to set the budget. Last time half of it was blamed on the slow nature of the wheels turning between there and here.  Yet all these people and procedures have been put in place over the years at big cost to smooth all that out.

So what's going on ?

Proper tinpot outfit yet costing 20 million a season in losses.  Pathetic.

I think most people have worked out, that you don't need to be in the office to work these days, although I guess you have to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get stick in. How they ever got away with the line that the slow nature of the wheels turning is beyond me.

Does it matter that I am tying this from Spain and will it matter when I call my next client and generate some business? It has to be one of the most feeble excuses they have ever used.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

You say the last 12 months... the vast majority of us say anywhere from 18-30 months. I personally sit at 30.

Lambert was - internally - the most disliked manager in living memory, and many were thrilled he left. Add to that I would say he is the only manager in my lifetime to rival Mowbray for the"Boring Football" award. 

Just because Mowbray has been "better" than Kean, Coyle, Lambert and Berg etc, doesn't mean he has been a "good manager", he's as much of a turd as the rest.

I'm not sure about vast majority. I agree that the season before last marked the point when the rumblings of discontent really started, but I didn't get a sense of the average fan being against the manager until the awful run last year. 

22 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Bringing in a head of recruitment and failing to recruit any players this window would be absolutely typical of the current incarnation of Blackburn Rovers.

At least it would kick the can down the road until January.

Can't spend or do business now but just you wait until the next window when we have these targets lined up.

Cheaper to plonk Mowbray's mate on a deal than signing a player or two.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

The Graham/Dack strike force would have gotten most teams up there, yes. Mowbray does get credit for signing Dack and being practical with our style of play, eventually, as he did try nonsense at the beginning too 

The issue is he's knows he's untouchable since and therefore can run tough shot with any nonsense he wants. He had to be practical in League 1 as it's safe to say he would have been sacked if we didn't go up 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I gave a few possible managers we could target to replace Mowbray 

Your question is pointless and very unrealistic Mercer. 

Make your questions realistic and I will give you a proper answer

We have been losing millions(20 million per season roughly for the last 10 years) and nothing will change it unless we put in place a proper business plan and appoint the right people into the right roles within the football club. Thats down to Venkys to sort that out

I think we all agree that the manager should have been changed last season and I don't know why Balaji didn't change manager or was it more of case we couldn't get the manager they want so Mowbray stays in place. I don't know anymore. 

Most of those 11 players we released and rightly so. Why keep them? 

We have appointed head of recruitment last week. We were placed in embargo due to the Club's accounts being published in line with Government guidelines but not EFL ones. 

Yes I know when the season starts and we had no signings so far. 

I believe from reading Crooke's twitter account that the kit will be unveil before or on the day of the Bradford friendly game. 

Yes things aren't good but things aren't as bad as when we had 3 managers with Kean, Berg and Appleton and we had 3 amigos running the club in Shebby, Shaw and Agnew. That was a mess

I was wrong for mentioning Watford as mess of a club and I must apologies to the messageboard for that

You have tried to justify your bizarre comment that we aren't a dysfunctional mess without being able to deny any of the points outlined.

Do you think Venkys are suddenly going to change and start taking enough of an interest to put in a business plan? No, so needlessly pissing money entails a dysfunctional mess.

If your standard is merely being not as chaotic as that season with Kean, Berg and Appleton, then your standards are lower than a snakes belly.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lraC said:

I think most people have worked out, that you don't need to be in the office to work these days, although I guess you have to be prepared to roll your sleeves up and get stick in. How they ever got away with the line that the slow nature of the wheels turning is beyond me.

Does it matter that I am tying this from Spain and will it matter when I call my next client and generate some business? It has to be one of the most feeble excuses they have ever used.

Especially when its a conglomerate with things in many different countries anyway.

Truth i reckon is priorities and we aren't usually one them, then those over here on such a cushy number they are happy to wait in line. Don't rock the boat just pick up your wages.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has been a good manager for most of his time here but the 12 months hasn't been good enough. 

Lambert was a good appointment by Venkys. 

Did Venkys sack Berg or Appleton? or was it Shebby who did it?

Worryingly, Mowbray has probably been the best they've managed to find, which is some effort considering how poor he has been.

There isn't a manager that they have employed that I would have back here. Some of those, I'd be quite happy for them never to set foot in the country again.

Mowbray's time was up at the end of out first season back in the Championship. A more ambitious club might have seen the light immediately after promotion and replaced him then. Him getting the next season out of courtesy was acceptable.

But the magic "journey" he's been telling us about for years has clearly been rubbish. His signings don't match the style he's trying to implement and based off Downings last interview, even some of the players aren't happy with his rotation policy. He's still making the same mistakes now, that he made at Celtic.

He's well and truly overstayed his welcome and we are now looking at season of struggle. If Mowbray stays for the full season, we will be fortunate to avoid relegation.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Worryingly, Mowbray has probably been the best they've managed to find, which is some effort considering how poor he has been.

There isn't a manager that they have employed that I would have back here. Some of those, I'd be quite happy for them never to set foot in the country again.

Mowbray's time was up at the end of out first season back in the Championship. A more ambitious club might have seen the light immediately after promotion and replaced him then. Him getting the next season out of courtesy was acceptable.

But the magic "journey" he's been telling us about for years has clearly been rubbish. His signings don't match the style he's trying to implement and based off Downings last interview, even some of the players aren't happy with his rotation policy. He's still making the same mistakes now, that he made at Celtic.

He's well and truly overstayed his welcome and we are now looking at season of struggle. If Mowbray stays for the full season, we will be fortunate to avoid relegation.

Great post. Sums the situation up perfectly. Can't disagree with a single sentence. It's very fair and the facts speak for themselves. 

Just to add though, I reckon the payers are unhappy with more that just his, questionable and biased, rotation policy. I reckon they are waiting for him to be sacked. The current situation is a recipe for failure, not success and whilst there are issues from the top to the bottom, results wise it's the managerial one that is the biggest threat short-term. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Just now, davulsukur said:

I agree that last season was unacceptably poor, and I too worry about next season, but I'm not having what you've said in the highlighted section. The idea that getting rid of a manager who had just got us promoted with 90 odd points would have been the actions of an 'ambitious club' is complete madness in my view.

I think generally we're all in danger of rewriting history a little bit with his first 2 years or so. We're falling over examples which show that being a big club with a decent budget is no guarantee of promotion in that league, and our first season back had some genuinely promising spells in it. Mowbray earned his popularity at that point, as much as he has earned is unpopularity since. 

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I agree that last season was unacceptably poor, and I too worry about next season, but I'm not having what you've said in the highlighted section. The idea that getting rid of a manager who had just got us promoted with 90 odd points would have been the actions of an 'ambitious club' is complete madness in my view.

I think generally we're all in danger of rewriting history a little bit with his first 2 years or so. We're falling over examples which show that being a big club with a decent budget is no guarantee of promotion in that league, and our first season back had some genuinely promising spells in it. Mowbray earned his popularity at that point, as much as he has earned is unpopularity since. 

To be fair, he said giving his the season after promotion was fair enough. We all pretty much agree on that. 

I think most give him credit for League 1 and so they should. I totally agree it's not straight forward to get out of that league, regardless of squad or budget. 

The thing is though his level is top league 1 to mid table championship. Nothing to suggest otherwise. That's the danger now. To be honest though, I don't think he will relegate us and people saying that is hyperbole, but we deserve better 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

17 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Sorry, it was blatantly obvious he was out of his depth in our first season back in the Championship imo when we embarked on a run not too dissimilar to the 2 wins in seventeen this season.

The ideal time to have sacked him would have been with ten or twelve games to go of that season and given a new manager time to assess the squad.

Instead we clung onto him and two and a half years later this is is the mess we're in as a consequence.

• Like 6