Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't believe anyone doesn't think Nyambe is top class.

We're going to lose him for peanuts and replace him with JRC who isn't a RB and who is terrible defensively.

So of our former 5 "crown jewels"

Nyambe - been messed about by Mowbray no end hence we're losing him for next to nothing. Will be a real asset wherever he goes.

Lenihan - has regressed no end under Mowbray. Looks ordinary at best now.

Travis - has regressed under Mowbray, nowhere near as dynamic as when he first burst into the team. More recently unimpressive since return from injury. Lacking sharpness, out of form and out of favour

Dack - has suffered 2 terrible injuries. Didn't look to be back at it after the first one anyway.

Armstrong - white hot in the first half of the season but poor since the turn of the year. Was his earlier form a flash in the pan? Either way, surely off in summer, will we get what we want for him in his current form?

Depressing stuff.

And apart from Dack there's one common denominator running through them all - Tony Fecking Mowbray.

You don't say what you mean by "top class" but if at now the age of 23 Nyambe really had reached that level I would have expected a Premier League club to be in for him rather than Stoke.

Lenihan has become an Irish international under Mowbray.

Travis keeps picking up injuries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fast forwards 12 months.... 'We lost the quality of Holtby and the goals of Armstrong last summer along with the regular right back and the experience of Johnson.  It's a sad day for the club but

The problem with keeping Bennett is that although he's versatile he's just not very good at all the things he's versatile at. Get rid.

The one and only summer transfer that needs to be made is Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus up the road. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You don't say what you mean by "top class" but if at now the age of 23 Nyambe really had reached that level I would have expected a Premier League club to be in for him rather than Stoke.

Lenihan has become an Irish international under Mowbray.

Travis keeps picking up injuries.

Oh hello, thought you'd disappeared off the face of the earth. Never see you after matches these days for some strange reason.

How's that "progress"going under Mowbray?

We don't know who'll be in for Nyambe yet.

A number of the players keep picking up injuries. Due to the manager's handling of them?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Oh hello, thought you'd disappeared off the face of the earth. Never see you after matches these days for some strange reason.

How's that "progress"going under Mowbray?

We don't know who'll be in for Nyambe yet.

A number of the players keep picking up injuries. Due to the manager's handling of them?

I think you are the only person who truly believes Nyambe to be "top class" which I would define as being the sort of player who the top 6 or so clubs in England would be interested in.

I'm going to post my views on Tony Mowbray after the final game of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think you are the only person who truly believes Nyambe to be "top class" which I would define as being the sort of player who the top 6 or so clubs in England would be interested in.

OK if you're going to be pedantic, he probably wouldn't get into the top six sides in England.

He is however as good as we're ever going to get whilst we're playing at Championship level and his proposed replacement is a massive downgrade as he isn't a full back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You don't say what you mean by "top class" but if at now the age of 23 Nyambe really had reached that level I would have expected a Premier League club to be in for him rather than Stoke.

Lenihan has become an Irish international under Mowbray.

Travis keeps picking up injuries.

To be fair, becoming an Irish international is not really an achievement and in the last international break he played 0 minutes amidst 3 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

More potential to improve him? He is 23, Brereton is 21.

His goals record in League One, even if it transferred exactly to the Championship, is nearly half of Armstrong's total. I haven't seen the lad so not saying you're wrong, but the basic stats of it don't wow me much.

Lad at work was telling me about Yates, the other league one striker we are linked with at Blackpool. More goals, and he says he is quick, good ball skills and a hard worker. Says what he brings to the team in general is as important as his goals. I had a look at his youtube clips last night and whilst I can't speak to the last part I'd agree with the rest.

Probably not quite as fast as Arma, but very tidy with the ball. A year older than the Rotherham lad, but the main issue is the lad at work reckons 4 million is fair. Fans always overprice their players though, but that would be a risk for a 24 year old who has only just proven himself in a league below ours. Dack was one of the best in that league and he was less than a quarter of that.

Nobody is going to be banging loads of goals in at Rochdale, they’re the bottom of the league for a reason. Humphreys has got size and he can use it, unlike Brererton. He got a good shot in both feet, again unlike Brererton. He can lead the line, unlike Brererton, he scores headers - need I go on ?

You can look at his highlights and you’ll see goals. All sorts of goals, free kicks, headers, dribbling finishes, tap ins etc. All I saw on the Brererton video was a guy who likes to run with the ball in wide positions.

On the down side he’s had a couple of muscle type injuries.

Would he make the step up ? Plenty of our rivals appear to think. 

I like the lad at Blackpool as well, he’s handy and he knows where the goals are, but £4 million ? Having said that he’d be better than 2/3rds of a Gallagher. In fact he’d be better than a whole Gallagher.

It looks like we’re in the hunt for the Armstrong replacement.

 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody is going to be banging loads of goals in at Rochdale, they’re the bottom of the league for league for a reason. Humphreys has got size and he can use it, unlike Brererton. He got a good shot in both feet, again unlike Brererton. He can lead the line, unlike Brererton, he scores headers - need I go on ?

You can look at his highlights and you’ll see goals. All sorts of goals, free kicks, headers, dribbling finishes, tap ins etc. All I saw on the Brererton video was a guy who likes to run with the ball in wide positions.

On the down side he’s had a couple of muscle type injuries.

Would he make the step up ? Plenty of our rivals appear to think. 

I like the lad at Blackpool as well, he’s handy and he knows where the goals are, but £4 million ? Having said that he’d be better than 2/3rds of a Gallagher. In fact he’d be better than a whole Gallagher.

It looks like we’re in the hunt for the Armstrong replacement.

 

First point is a fair one. Brereton is 2 years younger and has got better at using his size in the last year. I just think it's harsh, and doesn't track, to say someone older than him has more room to improve. Most of what you say in response is about his current ability not future. Brereton was 17/18 on his video wasnt he?

Not saying this lad is gash or anything, I know little about him. Might check out his vids if links persist.

Yeh I dont think 4 mill is gonna happen. Clubs and fans often overvalue at first and settle for less. I seem to remember Gills wanted 1.5 mill for Dack? And Pickering was rumoured as requiring a seven figure fee then we got him for about 350k according to reports. So maybe something like 2.5 mill is more likely? If Blackpool go up though, different story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think you are the only person who truly believes Nyambe to be "top class" which I would define as being the sort of player who the top 6 or so clubs in England would be interested in.

I'm going to post my views on Tony Mowbray after the final game of the season.

Wrong.

Nyambe is top class. Mowbray gives him the job of 2 people and then throws him under the bus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

First point is a fair one. Brereton is 2 years younger and has got better at using his size in the last year. I just think it's harsh, and doesn't track, to say someone older than him has more room to improve. Most of what you say in response is about his current ability not future. Brereton was 17/18 on his video wasnt he?

Not saying this lad is gash or anything, I know little about him. Might check out his vids if links persist.

Yeh I dont think 4 mill is gonna happen. Clubs and fans often overvalue at first and settle for less. I seem to remember Gills wanted 1.5 mill for Dack? And Pickering was rumoured as requiring a seven figure fee then we got him for about 350k according to reports. So maybe something like 2.5 mill is more likely? If Blackpool go up though, different story.

Have a look at his highlights video, it’ll be worth it. Some of the goals are Bradley Dack style efforts. My only reservation is does he want it enough to put in the effort in maintaining his fitness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yates and Humphreys have both been linked to half of the Championship so I suspect it is just busy agents at work.

Correct

Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who hasn't seen Humprhys, think of a budget Oli McBurnie. Decent stature, hits the ball with some immense power. Scoring goals in a very poor side, but big step up for where he is to here. Yates is probably as good an option if not slightly better but as @roversfan99 says, talk of those two is born out of agents rather than any concrete evidence of true Rovers interest. You've got Luke Jephcott at Plymouth who's young and knows where the goal is but what it comes down to is that none of these lower league talents replace the 20 goals lost from an Armstrong sale. Market is slow and we've got to be clever. Sure up the defence for me and invest in other areas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Strengthening the attack is of critical importance, we cannot make do by signing in other positions and making do, especially with Armstrong set to leave. We have scored 21 goals in 25 games, its not a minor blip and its a myth that our woes are concentrated in defence. Amidst Gallagher, Brereton and Dolan, there are nowhere near enough goals to keep a team in this division. Our biggest signing will be Armstrongs replacement, we will need one, even if we assume that he isnt going to be as prolific (or indeed as costly) as Armstrong, we cant go into a season with just 1 striker in Gallagher, who seems to split opinion himself. Theres no way to be clever by avoiding signing another striker completely, it will lead to relegation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Strengthening the attack is of critical importance, we cannot make do by signing in other positions and making do, especially with Armstrong set to leave. We have scored 21 goals in 25 games, its not a minor blip and its a myth that our woes are concentrated in defence. Amidst Gallagher, Brereton and Dolan, there are nowhere near enough goals to keep a team in this division. Our biggest signing will be Armstrongs replacement, we will need one, even if we assume that he isnt going to be as prolific (or indeed as costly) as Armstrong, we cant go into a season with just 1 striker in Gallagher, who seems to split opinion himself. Theres no way to be clever by avoiding signing another striker completely, it will lead to relegation.

I'm struggling with all these unproven league 1 players.  Pickering, any better than Bell?  I'm not sure anyone called Jerry makes a good footballer 😁.

If anyone from league 1 it has to be Clarke Harris.  Peterborough seem to have a conveyor belt of forwards.  Id get him to replace Armstrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

 

The only 3 who even warrant consideration for new deals are Nyambe, Rothwell and JRC. Even then though the only one I'd be really sorry to see go is Nyambe.

I agree on those 3. But the only two I would be sorry or annoyed to see go is JRC and Nyambe. Losing him Stoke would be a blow as I can see Michael O'Neill improving him defensive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody is going to be banging loads of goals in at Rochdale, they’re the bottom of the league for a reason. Humphreys has got size and he can use it, unlike Brererton. He got a good shot in both feet, again unlike Brererton. He can lead the line, unlike Brererton, he scores headers - need I go on ?

You can look at his highlights and you’ll see goals. All sorts of goals, free kicks, headers, dribbling finishes, tap ins etc. All I saw on the Brererton video was a guy who likes to run with the ball in wide positions.

On the down side he’s had a couple of muscle type injuries.

Would he make the step up ? Plenty of our rivals appear to think. 

I like the lad at Blackpool as well, he’s handy and he knows where the goals are, but £4 million ? Having said that he’d be better than 2/3rds of a Gallagher. In fact he’d be better than a whole Gallagher.

It looks like we’re in the hunt for the Armstrong replacement.

 

I think if l tempt to look at Thomas Henry from OH Leuven in Belgium. 21 goals in 29 games this season. Don't know if would qualify for a permit. Maybe @JoeHcould tell us

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nobody is going to be banging loads of goals in at Rochdale, they’re the bottom of the league for a reason. Humphreys has got size and he can use it, unlike Brererton. He got a good shot in both feet, again unlike Brererton. He can lead the line, unlike Brererton, he scores headers - need I go on ?

You can look at his highlights and you’ll see goals. All sorts of goals, free kicks, headers, dribbling finishes, tap ins etc.

I've see  highlights of him. He seems a very different to Armstrong but someone who could get us a plan B or even start in a front 2 with pacey striker. 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Its looks like we’re in the hunt for the Armstrong replacement.

Hopefully we have strikers line up to replace him. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Market is slow and we've got to be clever. Sure up the defence for me and invest in other areas. 

I agree we have to be smart and clever in the market. We need to make some defensive signings aswell as other areas. You have suggest Kirk from Crewe before..I would look at Ben Thompson from Millwall who is out of contract and someone who would add goals from our midfield 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm struggling with all these unproven league 1 players.  Pickering, any better than Bell?  I'm not sure anyone called Jerry makes a good footballer 😁.

Good thing his name is Harry then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Flattered, old boy. Let's hope we are still in the Championship which sadly is not a given.

That second sentence alone makes it seem very odd that you feel the need to wait until the end of the season to give a verdict. Shouldn't be on the cards at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think if l tempt to look at Thomas Henry from OH Leuven in Belgium. 21 goals in 29 games this season. Don't know if would qualify for a permit. Maybe @JoeHcould tell us

10pts for 90%+ of games in a Band 2 league.

2pts if they finish in Europa League qualifying spot (currently in that position).

2pts if reach Europa League proper.

No cup comps or international apps to get him over the 15 point threshold. Gets close so it *could* be close enough for a contest, but quick scan says he doesn’t get a work permit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm struggling with all these unproven league 1 players.  Pickering, any better than Bell?  I'm not sure anyone called Jerry makes a good footballer 😁.

If anyone from league 1 it has to be Clarke Harris.  Peterborough seem to have a conveyor belt of forwards.  Id get him to replace Armstrong.

Plenty of our squad played League One football. Pickering far superior to what Bell is, but you’ll have to wait and see for that. Jerry thing is tongue in cheek I assume.

JCH is an interesting one at Posh because he’s something of a tap in striker really, waits in the box. Quite Danny Graham esque and I do wonder how successful that would be against better Championship level defences

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

 

I'm going to post my views on Tony Mowbray after the final game of the season.

Yes because a few wins between now and the end of the season will erase the 1 win in 14, Ayala being signed, Gally playing right back, the selection tombola, the training ground scam, t snide comments about fans, the (almost) never scoring in the first half (and none too often outside of that of late either), the rushing players back from injury, the previous seasons' poor runs whenever we look like we might do something. Definitely tricky to get a good view/assessment of TM at present. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.