BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

I think there are only two ways in which we see an incoming player.

First is that we've managed to persuade Liverpool, City or Everton to send a teenager here for the season on a heavily subsidised loan, promising that they will get loads of Championship game time this season to aid their development. 

Second is that we've got a sale or significant departure lined up and permission to use some of those funds/wages on bringing in a free agent.

Draw along from that and ask who we have likely to attract bids/interest at this stage and the list is a short one. Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Armstrong, Rothwell.

We know Armstrong will be going but they will time it to cause maximum damage to our recruitment and season.

Other than that can we afford to let any of the others go? I mean of those Rothwell is the least valuable to us but still one of a rapidly diminishing number capable of creating something in this squad.

Edited by JHRover

On 27/07/2021 at 09:05, Mike E said:

Nor is it all on Rothwell. You don't buy players with potential to passively hope they get better, you actively try to coach them.

Given how many players have regressed under Mowbray, Venus, and Lowe, I'm more inclined to place the blame there.

He is 26 years old, before he came here he was in and out of the team at Oxford in league one.

He has one year left on his deal,wouldn't cost a lot to take him from here,funny how our door doesn't seem to be being banged down with offers.

Mowbray and our coaching staff don't take to the field with Rothwell,it's not them who go missing in the matches nor is it them who take on a few players and more often than not take the wrong option.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
On 27/07/2021 at 08:12, MarkBRFC said:

Leighton Clarkson from Liverpool is my guess.

Young, cheap, two professional games so far in his career,  can wax lyrical about our relationship with a top side etc etc

Ticks all the boxes for this lot.

He’s a Clitheroe lad and Rovers fan too. I can see the unveiling now….

On 25/07/2021 at 22:05, RevidgeBlue said:

Doubt anyone else was queueing up to sign him at the time. If Newcastle wouldn't budge then we should have looked elsewhere notwithstanding he's done well with the benefit of hindsight.

Preston were in for him, but that's it mind.

On 25/07/2021 at 15:05, RevidgeBlue said:

Doubt anyone else was queueing up to sign him at the time. If Newcastle wouldn't budge then we should have looked elsewhere notwithstanding he's done well with the benefit of hindsight.

That would have been a very bad call. The biggest issue is he hasn't signed a new deal, not the sell on, even allowing for the fact it's high 

Out of curiosity, for those who feel Rothwell hasn't/doesn't hit the heights he sometimes suggests he should due to Mowbray, does that mean Mowbray is massively responsible for Arma hitting 29 goals last season? Or Elliott getting near 20 goal involvements?

• Like 7

On 27/07/2021 at 11:20, alex l said:

Out of curiosity, for those who feel Rothwell hasn't/doesn't hit the heights he sometimes suggests he should due to Mowbray, does that mean Mowbray is massively responsible for Arma hitting 29 goals last season? Or Elliott getting near 20 goal involvements?

I would say Mowbray deserves credit for bringing in a potentially exciting player in Rothwell.  Has he improved the player since he has been here? I would argue not.

Elliott was a prodigious talent at 16. Spent a year developing with a title winning squad, Came on loan (tick for Mowbray) Did Mowbray develop him or did he just realise he was considerably better than any of our wide strikers?

Given that Armstrong was literally the only player getting in the box under that bloody system - and had a pretty poor goals to shots ratio, the jury is out on whether Mowbray gets any credit.  That said, if Armstrong really admired TM for developing his career, surely he would be more likely to pen a new deal...

• Like 2

• Backroom
On 27/07/2021 at 09:19, islander200 said:

He is 26 years old, before he came here he was in and out of the team at Oxford in league one.

He has one year left on his deal,wouldn't cost a lot to take him from here,funny how our door doesn't seem to be being banged down with offers.

Mowbray and our coaching staff don't take to the field with Rothwell,it's not them who go missing in the matches nor is it them who take on a few players and more often than not take the wrong option.

But it is them who've had 2 years to coach him on this aspect or drop him.

• Backroom
On 27/07/2021 at 10:20, alex l said:

Yes. The buck stops with the manager, good and bad.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 09:22, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought that was Middlesbrough. Let’s face it - he’s done next to nothing since he left Ewood.

He scored plenty when Middlesbrough were promoted. It was in the Premier League where he got limited game time and scored no goals. 

My point was that Sheffield Wednesday became a bit of a graveyard for formerly decent players. Might be a bit harsh to instantly write people off that have played there in recent years i.e. Reach. 

Regarding Rothwell the phrase "in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" comes to mind. 

Yes, Rothwell hasn't pulled up any trees here and only shown flashes of being a good player. However given the central midfield options are the over the hill Johnson, the perennially injured Davenport and the lightweight Buckley, my word, Rothwell would be a big loss. 

Bravo Tony, you've got it to the point where the loss of anyone half decent is a huge blow. 

• Like 2

We can't really afford to lose anyone yet who we aren't already aware we are likely losing (Armstrong). The season starts very soon and our squad is absolutely threadbare. Even if someone comes in at the same time that's not really good enough as we need to bolster numbers not go sideways on them.

(Obviously unlikely exceptions apply, ie if Ayala was off and a good CB coming in)

On 27/07/2021 at 11:00, RoverKyle said:

He scored plenty when Middlesbrough were promoted. It was in the Premier League where he got limited game time and scored no goals. 

My point was that Sheffield Wednesday became a bit of a graveyard for formerly decent players. Might be a bit harsh to instantly write people off that have played there in recent years i.e. Reach. 

I wouldn’t say 6 goals in 18 games playing up front for a promotion bound team is a great return.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

On 27/07/2021 at 11:46, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would prefer keep him til his contract runs down than accept 15 million. 

There's no sense in that. We aren't going up with him here, so why keep him to let him go free. £15m is better than £0.

On 27/07/2021 at 11:45, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn’t say 6 goals in 18 games playing up front for a promotion bound team is a great return.

It's not a bad return either, especially considering they weren't all starts. 

Anyway the point was that Sheffield Wednesday made him look worse than he'd been anywhere else. The original point still stands. 

• Backroom
On 27/07/2021 at 11:51, JoeH said:

There's no sense in that. We aren't going up with him here, so why keep him to let him go free. £15m is better than £0.

Because his goals might be the thing that keep us in the Championship. That's worth more than the ££8-9m we'd get out of the £15m fee.

• Like 2

We won't go up with him be we could quite possibly go down without him. We'd have been in real trouble last season without his goals.

• Like 1

Not if there was any hope he would sign a new deal. Things are so worrying here though, that's pretty much an impossibility, correct? 

Still we won't go up with him, but we could certainly go down without him. Hard to see where the goals will come from. 

• Like 2

My bet. We will get 5%-10% of the Armstrong money to reinvest. Maximum £750,000.

Problem is, other clubs will believe we have £15,000,000 to spend and will want 3x the value as we don't buy before we sell.

Mowbray has his excuses ready made. 

Edited by Angry_Pirate

On 27/07/2021 at 12:09, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not if there was any hope he would sign a new deal. Things are so worrying here though, that's pretty much an impossibility, correct? 

Still we won't go up with him, but we could certainly go down without him. Hard to see where the goals will come from. 

We could also go down with him. Do you take a chance on what may happen. Or take what is real. For our older viewers : Take the money, or open the box ? 

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 12:14, rigger said:

We could also go down with him. Do you take a chance on what may happen. Or take what is real. For our older viewers : Take the money, or open the box ? 

And in our current position I think you do have to take the money, to follow this analogy