BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

On 27/07/2021 at 15:33, toogs said:

Which could well be why he hasn't succeeded here due to terrible management by his manager.

I'm wondering who we can afford that are better.

I don’t dispute that we may struggle to afford much better but that almost goes for every position. Rothwell has had enough game time to impress and hasn’t. Mowbray can be faulted for many things but Rothwell is responsible for producing on the pitch and he goes missing too often.

I’m not desperate to see him gone but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

• Like 2

On 27/07/2021 at 15:02, JHRover said:

I don't think £15 million is a good deal for Armstrong. It may be the best we can get, but it isn't a good deal and I really hope the revisionists and rose tinted spectacle wearers out there don't start making out like it is.

Armstrong should be £20 million minimum. He ticks just about every box there is to tick when it comes to totting up the value of a player: young, pace, excellent fitness record, no major injuries, knows where the back of the net is and perhaps most importantly English.

The fact that he is English, he is good at his job of scoring goals and has at least 8-10 years left in the tank adds a massive premium on his price (or at least should). 

Unfortunately we've wiped that premium out by allowing this situation to unfold. 

So much for buying low and selling high - this policy only works if you ensure that when the players come good you are protected and can maximise your return. Allowing millions of pounds to slip through your fingers - money that could ensure FFP compliance, enable a rebuild or replace the pitch at Ewood - is criminal. 

He doesn't tick as many boxes as you think. The biggest myth around him is that he's rapid. He's quick, but he's not fast - I've seen him run down on many occasions and competent FBs have him in their back pocket when he's out wide.

He's a head down player who has to be built around and accommodated for.

I'd take £15m now just to get us out of this FFP nonsense we're mired in. Rather that than he leaves for £0 in the summer.

On 27/07/2021 at 13:05, islander200 said:

Watkins is a far better all round player than Armstrong and like you said was tied down to a longer contract.

If Watkins only had a year left he wouldn't have been bought for 26 million you also have to take into account clubs have had hardly any income for near 2 year. 

Also plenty of recent examples of players downing tools when coming to the end of contract.Fletcher and Britt last season amongst the most recent examples

Debatable if those 2 did or are just shite. 

You can look at it a few ways I suppose, but I would hold for 20. 

The contract is the main issue. Talks must be completely over in that regard it seems 

On 27/07/2021 at 16:59, Bigdoggsteel said:

Debatable if those 2 did or are just shite. 

You can look at it a few ways I suppose, but I would hold for 20. 

The contract is the main issue. Talks must be completely over in that regard it seems 

Armstrong would be mental to stay if multiple clubs are sniffing around.

I'm a die hard Rovers fan and I'd be looking to get out of this basketcase club in his situation. 

• Like 4

On 27/07/2021 at 13:19, Blue blood said:

It's the one year left thing BDS. From what I see I think the two are comparable and fee wise we should be looking at that kind of fee. But one year left often reduces fees by at least a third so assuming 26 mill is the going rate 17 mill would be about right. Add in that we are desperate and it's not a good situation. 

Ya, but I suppose IF and it's a big if and you see this with players ,if there was a chance of him signing a new deal, clubs who are trying to low ball us, could miss out completely. 

On 27/07/2021 at 17:01, Exiled_Rover said:

Armstrong would be mental to stay if multiple clubs are sniffing around.

I'm a die hard Rovers fan and I'd be looking to get out of this basketcase club in his situation. 

Agreed, but his stock is high now. He won't be able to sign for someone until next summer if we don't accept an offer. Imagine he got injured half way through the season 

On 27/07/2021 at 17:03, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agreed, but his stock is high now. He won't be able to sign for someone until next summer if we don't accept an offer. Imagine he got injured half way through the season 

Then we would probably still stump up the bumper deal...

On 27/07/2021 at 17:01, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but I suppose IF and it's a big if and you see this with players ,if there was a chance of him signing a new deal, clubs who are trying to low ball us, could miss out completely. 

That's a fair point but again as you say it's a big if. And if I were another club and saw how many key players were running down their deals with only a year or two years left at Rovers, I would be confident that we wouldn't get our act together and get him a new contract. 

If it were me I would be looking to get a good part exchange in. 40% of a part exchange doesn't go to the barcodes. I'm not talking unproven youngsters but given how much Premier League teams hoard players and how threadbare the squad is, there surely must be an exchange or two to be done that is beneficial to us. 

On 27/07/2021 at 17:19, Blue blood said:

That's a fair point but again as you say it's a big if. And if I were another club and saw how many key players were running down their deals with only a year or two years left at Rovers, I would be confident that we wouldn't get our act together and get him a new contract. 

If it were me I would be looking to get a good part exchange in. 40% of a part exchange doesn't go to the barcodes. I'm not talking unproven youngsters but given how much Premier League teams hoard players and how threadbare the squad is, there surely must be an exchange or two to be done that is beneficial to us. 

Part exchange is the way to go, but lots of moving parts in that. 

Still though, I think 20 is a good deal for a PL club to be honest. 

On 27/07/2021 at 13:00, J*B said:

15m excluding add ons. He’s gone. 

They're getting a bit more sensible now. Shouldn't be any problem pushing them up to at least £18m bearing in mind we can't afford to lose him and it's most likely too late to replace him with anyone decent.

On 27/07/2021 at 13:26, Gav said:

Considering all the money in football, the way transfers are brokered is amateurish at best....

How many times do we see those idiots on Sky going mad at 1 minute to midnight over last minute transfers between massive clubs worth millions of pounds? Or better still missing the deadline and blaming the fax machine! 

The Armstrong saga is dragging on as usual, I'd set any prospective clubs a deadline to meet the price or he stays, simple as that.

We are already on the backfoot waiting for funds over this transfer, get a bleedin move Watford/Southampton or sod off would be my stance. 

If only Carlsberg ran football clubs....

Think we're well past a sensible deadline date Gav.

Should have been at least £18m CASH with no 30 odd year old deadlegs requiring a 30k p.w. wage contribution being chucked in either.

By a month to go before the start of the season at latest.

On 27/07/2021 at 17:28, Bigdoggsteel said:

Part exchange is the way to go, but lots of moving parts in that. 

Still though, I think 20 is a good deal for a PL club to be honest. 

That Daka who Leicester bought was under contract for longer than a year and they paid 23 million.He was coveted by bigger teams than Leicester too.

He is unproven in the premier League as is Armstrong.He has 1 year left on his deal why would Premier league teams pay 20 million+ when they can get better value for their buck abroad.

If Watkins had 1 year left on his deal Aston Villa would not have been paying 26 million for him.

Even if we go the part exchange route that players valuation will be taken into consideration when we are paying the 40%

On 27/07/2021 at 17:45, neophox said:

Still hope it's bust for Mowbray and we give Ainsworth a call.. That would mean a Huge difference. 

If they didn’t sack him after that horrific run last season when are they going to sack him? 

• Like 2

What's the worst that can happen if we didn't sell Armstrong and were in breach of FFP?

Barred from signing anyone for a period and a fine?

Does anyone know what happens after that? Does the cycle automatically reset or is it a rolling cycle whereby we'd have to reduce losses further before we could sign anyone etc?

On 27/07/2021 at 19:03, RevidgeBlue said:

What's the worst that can happen if we didn't sell Armstrong and were in breach of FFP?

Barred from signing anyone for a period and a fine?

Does anyone know what happens after that? Does the cycle automatically reset or is it a rolling cycle whereby we'd have to reduce losses further before we could sign anyone etc?

i believe it is rolling and we would be under an embargo until we reduced operating costs to significantly as well as being limited to the size of contract we can offer existing players.

There are an awful more players next year who may well leave on a free

On 27/07/2021 at 19:01, Butty said:

If they didn’t sack him after that horrific run last season when are they going to sack him? 

he could take us down to the conference and he`d still be in a job,the only way mowbray is leaving is if he gets a job somewhere else(highly unlikely),he decides to retire(possible after this season) or he shuffles off the mortal coil,he could in all possibility get a job upstairs in some capacity,though it won`t rid us of him and he`ll still be able to wield his influence,sorry to say we are stuck with his incompetence,poor coaching and general malaise