BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Under Mowbray, it's hard to see anyone pushing us up the league. Reach is far better than Chapman. 

Obviously, hope im proved wrong on this and he turns out to be an inspired signing (if he indeed comes), just cannot see it. Might be better than Chapman now, but its about time we gave him a proper run to see if there is any hope for the lad. Stood out the league below, so worth a run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Obviously, hope im proved wrong on this and he turns out to be an inspired signing (if he indeed comes), just cannot see it. Might be better than Chapman now, but its about time we gave him a proper run to see if there is any hope for the lad. Stood out the league below, so worth a run. 

Ya, I haven't seen much in Chapman at all. I agree after keeping him though, he should feature. Otherwise, what was the point? 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I haven't seen much in Chapman at all. I agree after keeping him though, he should feature. Otherwise, what was the point? 

If it was to give him one final chance to prove himself, or to get a fee for him, can understand. If neither, then yeah, what was the point? I think its going to be a dismal season anyway, so at least see if some of these youngsters can step up.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder if we don't sell him, would it be in Armstrong's interest to sign a year extension?  If he gets an injury like Dacks, he could really be left in no man's land 

Even if he did get a serious injury, like Dack he would still be then offered a contract here which he could still take as a secure fall back option. He would still only be 25 at the end of his contract so from our point of view, it would be worth offering him say a 3 year deal and writing off the first. The power is very much with Armstrong regardless and he would be ill advised to renew.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even if he did get a serious injury, like Dack he would still be then offered a contract here which he could still take as a secure fall back option. He would still only be 25 at the end of his contract so from our point of view, it would be worth offering him say a 3 year deal and writing off the first. The power is very much with Armstrong regardless and he would be ill advised to renew.

Ah no, he would have had to do a complete 180 and sign a 3 year deal here. Which is obviously not what he wants to do. So would we have a player who wants to be here? It would just mean the club would be protected and would get a decent fee, if he got back to his best and didn't sulk. It would also be on much lower terms than I would imagine he is being offered now. 

It is in everybody's interest a deal is done this summer and the club receives a fair price, including Armstrong himself. His position of power is an injury away from altering dramatically. At the end of the day, he hasn't done it over years and years and clubs will be very aware of that. He has plenty of competition in the transfer market whilst he is fit, let alone injured. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah no, he would have had to do a complete 180 and sign a 3 year deal here. Which is obviously not what he wants to do. So would we have a player who wants to be here? It would just mean the club would be protected and would get a decent fee, if he got back to his best and didn't sulk. It would also be on much lower terms than I would imagine he is being offered now. 

It is in everybody's interest a deal is done this summer and the club receives a fair price, including Armstrong himself. His position of power is an injury away from altering dramatically. At the end of the day, he hasn't done it over years and years and clubs will be very aware of that. He has plenty of competition in the transfer market whilst he is fit, let alone injured. 

At the moment, obviously the power is very much in his court, and if we choose not to sell him now, he is best advised to run his contract down. Bigger teams will find a player of his ability even more appealing on a free.

The serious injury is unlikely but if it happened, that would of course weaken his power and possibly put off other clubs, but if the options were to release a seriously injured Armstrong or offer him a long term deal, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face if we didnt choose the latter, and it would probably be his best option too. So even in the worst case scenario, he would be able to get a contract I suspect.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

At the moment, obviously the power is very much in his court, and if we choose not to sell him now, he is best advised to run his contract down. Bigger teams will find a player of his ability even more appealing on a free.

The serious injury is unlikely but if it happened, that would of course weaken his power and possibly put off other clubs, but if the options were to release a seriously injured Armstrong or offer him a long term deal, we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face if we didnt choose the latter, and it would probably be his best option too. So even in the worst case scenario, he would be able to get a contract I suspect.

Well that very much depends on his fitness. We all know what injuries can do to players, particularly quick ones. It's far from a certainty "bigger clubs" would still be interested ,free or not. 

Would offering an injured Armstrong a 3 year deal after he has snubbed offers whilst fit and clearly doesn't want to be here be a no brainer? I suspect people would have different views on that. Now a 5 year deal would be interesting. The negotiation power would have swayed to the cubs favour under those circumstances. 

His stock is at its highest now, possibly the highest it will ever be in his entire career. I understand why the club are holding out for 20 million and so they should 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well that very much depends on his fitness. We all know what injuries can do to players, particularly quick ones. It's far from a certainty "bigger clubs" would still be interested ,free or not. 

Would offering an injured Armstrong a 3 year deal after he has snubbed offers whilst fit and clearly doesn't want to be here be a no brainer? I suspect people would have different views on that. Now a 5 year deal would be interesting. The negotiation power would have swayed to the cubs favour under those circumstances. 

His stock is at its highest now, possibly the highest it will ever be in his entire career. I understand why the club are holding out for 20 million and so they should 

I meant the bigger clubs will find him more appealing in the likelihood that he doesnt suffer a serious injury.

I get why the club is holding out for as much as it can but we are in such a weak position that is self inflicted that the 2 options may be to accept less than we would have ideally liked or to let him go for a free, and the latter cannot be an option.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I meant the bigger clubs will find him more appealing in the likelihood that he doesnt suffer a serious injury.

I get why the club is holding out for as much as it can but we are in such a weak position that is self inflicted that the 2 options may be to accept less than we would have ideally liked or to let him go for a free, and the latter cannot be an option.

Ya ,it all comes down to the contact situation. I would love to know what he has been offered. You would imagine there would be enough interest to go above £15 million Though, surely? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya ,it all comes down to the contact situation. I would love to know what he has been offered. You would imagine there would be enough interest to go above £15 million Though, surely? 

A week or two ago, people were suggesting we'd have to accept a bid in the order of £8m.

Plenty of wiggle room left yet I'd have thought.

1 minute ago, neophox said:

Still think its Rothwell who is on the move and a new contract for Arma on the cards.

Think we would all take that - just cannot see why AA would want to stay here with this interest, his stock being high, and just a year left on his contract. His agent would certainly be telling him to move on.

19 minutes ago, neophox said:

Still think its Rothwell who is on the move and a new contract for Arma on the cards.

That wouldn't be a bad move really all things considered.

I like Rothwell but he'll never find his groove here under this manager and his way of playing.  If there's a few quid on the table probably better for all if he moves, although we are losing a good attacking player as it stands it isn't a massive blow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

A week or two ago, people were suggesting we'd have to accept a bid in the order of £8m.

Plenty of wiggle room left yet I'd have thought.

Nah, we just need to get a few clubs bidding for him. Apparently Rafa is interested.

Everton

8 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Nah, we just need to get a few clubs bidding for him. Apparently Rafa is interested.

Everton

They need to get on with it. AA going is inevitable, so for the benefit of the club we really could do without it dragging on. Then whatever pittance if any, is provided from those funds generated, Tony can spend(unwisely most likely) on a replacement. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Everton

Could see that being the best option for him. Most appealing.

Calvert-Lewin as a target man to play off. Then players rotating around him with Demari Gray, James Rodriquez, Andros Townsend, Richarlison, Alex Iwobi, Moise Kean and Armstrong. 

8 players for 4 positions mind you. But that's the Premiership. Be an exciting attack regardless.

Sure they'll give us Braithwaite permanently as part of the deal too 👀🥴

Would rather him go to Everton over Watford/Southampton tbh.

32 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

They need to get on with it. AA going is inevitable, so for the benefit of the club we really could do without it dragging on. Then whatever pittance if any, is provided from those funds generated, Tony can spend(unwisely most likely) on a replacement. 

AA will go but do we need a replacement?  It depends on the system they are going to play.  Will he use Gallagher and Brereton as they are supposed to be used or will he use them as flying wingers?  Will he play tippy tappy or go more direct.  If he continues with his tippy tappy then we need a replacement but if he plays more direct, I am not so sure.  
I know that some will say where are the goals going to come from but if we can get the ball up quicker and not allow teams to get organised while we faff around looking for our 70% possession stats, then goals will come from various sources.

Having said that, I have no idea what system he will play and more worryingly I don’t think Mowbray has any idea what system he is going to play.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Could see that being the best option for him. Most appealing.

Calvert-Lewin as a target man to play off. Then players rotating around him with Demari Gray, James Rodriquez, Andros Townsend, Richarlison, Alex Iwobi, Moise Kean and Armstrong. 

8 players for 4 positions mind you. But that's the Premiership. Be an exciting attack regardless.

Sure they'll give us Braithwaite permanently as part of the deal too 👀🥴

Would rather him go to Everton over Watford/Southampton tbh.

I would hope not, he was hopeless last season!