BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

26 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Sorry I'm confused by this statement, Brereton still yet to show us what he can actually do? I'm really yet to see a championship level player.

Did you watch the game last night? He made the Leeds defence look like Rotherham on three or four occasions. He may not be a star yet, but he's at least Championship level. 

If Pickering turns out to be steady Eddie, who can actually defend, instead of flying wing back who can neither defend nor create i'll take that all day long.

Just hope the manager lets him play to his strengths instead of trying to make him into something he isn't.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Lets not get carried away with either performance. Cirino looked decent in his spell, but a promising 30 minutes in a preseason game doesn't make you a future starter.

Pickering did his job admirably I felt, yes looks a little one paced perhaps, but what do people expect?

There was a moment in the first half when Raphinha did him for pace on the outside, Pickering tracked back and most importantly....DIDN'T DIVE IN, potentially giving away a penalty! He managed to wrestle back some control in the situation, the Leeds winger checked back in and delivered a cross on his weaker foot that was defended well by Carter.

I'd rather have Pickering than Barry Douglas.

Barry Douglas isn't setting the bar very high.  He was bloody awful 😂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No guarantee of ANY funds to use from selling our best player. Not even in replacing him.

Strap in lads, it's going to be a rough ride this season.

I think most of us expected nothing would get invested in the team.  Similar to Rhodes leaving.  Shame Mowbray won't resign over it like Lambert. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Talking about loaning SIX players. So let's just say he is budgeting around £50kpw for that "journey".

Here's an idea, why not loan in two more established players of real quality, at positions of need, for £20kpw each and then use this plethora of young talent at our own elite level academy as backups.

We don't need 6 extra bodies if they're going to be Jarrod Braithwaite, Marten Samuelsen, Mo Barrow, Jack Byrne and Rakeem Harper. We need starting 11 quality additions. 

Elliott, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin have all just about checked that box. But don't forget the likes of Tyrone Mings, Mason Mount, Reece James, Harvey Barnes and Ben White were all on loan in this division 2 years ago. 

Set some type of fucking bar, Tony. Please.

Yep, it's quality not quantity we need. Elliott, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin were excellent players.  H-B looked like an England player to me. I'd rather have 2 quality "older" (early 20s) players from a Premier League first team squad than 6 young loanees who may or may not come off. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Talking about loaning SIX players. So let's just say he is budgeting around £50kpw for that "journey".

Here's an idea, why not loan in two more established players of real quality, at positions of need, for £20kpw each and then use this plethora of young talent at our own elite level academy as backups.

We don't need 6 extra bodies if they're going to be Jarrod Braithwaite, Marten Samuelsen, Mo Barrow, Jack Byrne and Rakeem Harper. We need starting 11 quality additions. 

Elliott, Harwood-Bellis and Tosin have all just about checked that box. But don't forget the likes of Tyrone Mings, Mason Mount, Reece James, Harvey Barnes and Ben White were all on loan in this division 2 years ago. 

Would love Morgan Rogers from Man City. Looked great for Lincoln last year and would be available. Very impressed with him in all the games I've seen him in.

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I would go further and say I'd rather sign only 2/3 solid experienced championship players permanently rather than loan established ones.

As an example, if we were to get someone released from Wednesday I would look at Tom Lees rather than Reach. Solid experienced centre back who won't let you down. A two year deal to allow the young centre backs to come through and force him out on merit when ready.

Give me that rather than young prem players for a year, every year.

Same in other positions, we have plenty of promising young players coming through, we just need a few steady capable older heads to guide them through. They don't have to be 'worldies' every time.

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No guarantee of ANY funds to use from selling our best player. Not even in replacing him.

We were never getting any money from the AA sale.

Anyone thinking it would be reinvested was kidding themselves.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Surely nobody actually thought we would? See Jordan Rhodes/Rudy Gestede/Tom Cairney for examples of what happens when Adam Armstrong leaves at quarter to midnight on deadline day.

Fully understand why patience is running out for many, although it's far too early (and unreasonable) to judge a new signing.

Either way we've taken a massive step back from last year and have the same manager that failed to get the best out of a much stronger squad. That in fact feels like a massive understatement, the results were totally abysmal and it wasn't normal for it not to result in a sacking. Still can't quite believe Mowbray is here. Will the club allow a run like last season to happen again? Is that the new standard? I don't see any reason why it won't happen again. 

You won't see anything like it at another club at this level (or at least shouldn't); a manager speaking in interviews in the manner he was - leaving pundits lost for words and still retaining his job. It's not something any fan should have patience for. What we saw last season were media professionals left uncomfortable by a brief encounter with a dysfunctional football club and we've had to put up with it for 11 years now.

Let's see how the season goes but personally I don't see a way back for the club, or myself as a fan anytime soon. I'd love to support Rovers kids and a good manager, under passionate ownership but too many things are misaligned as it stands.

The fans are out there and will bring revenue through the door but things have to be done to the standard set throughout our history. That should be the minimum and it isn’t happening.

A statement from the owners would be nice.

When did the fans last hear from them? The silence and disconnect they've created wouldn't be acceptable in any other walks of life. Why is it OK here?

Life, love and excellence needs bringing back to Rovers. I don't see Mowbray, Venus or Waggott bringing that and it isn't Pickering's fault. My message to fans still inside Ewood this season would be to take it out on the owners and management, not the players.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think most of us expected nothing would get invested in the team.  Similar to Rhodes leaving.  Shame Mowbray won't resign over it like Lambert. 

Whoa hang on, the situation an FFP black hole has emerged is entirely  due to Mowbray constructing a vastly bloated squad, never selling anyone, giving excessively generous and lengthy contracts to players who needed replacing and spending dead money on loanees.

If you're agreeing and saying it's a pity if he doesn't walk because he feels hard done to, I apologise.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Frustrating to see people making such assertive and final comments about a player given one performance against a European elite winger who's sought after by Liverpool in a reported £38m deal...

If Ben Brereton has taught us anything, which seemingly he hasn't, surely it's that we need to be more patient. 

Why are you sticking so petulantly to this theory that Harry Pickering has been written off, can you please highlight posts in which this is the case?

You specifically quoted me on this yesterday to which I elaborated my comments. Last night was the first time that I and indeed the vast majority if not all of the Rovers fans watching will have seen Pickering, and ultimately, the whole purpose of this forum is to discuss Rovers to extreme detail, after every game, every transfer, every sale etc.

I was keen to qualify my impressions by firstly pointing out that it was a friendly and that he was also against a very good and very quick winger of a calibre that he will not face in the Championship. I felt that it was constructive to share that my first impression was that he is not very fast at all, a potential red flag of any defender, and his positioning and body shape didnt prevent Raphinha from exploiting his pace advantage on a number of occasions, again I revert back to my comments on the standard of opposition. He also from an attacking sense struggled to get involved and on a few occasions, chose to play it safe and slow things down. I was just portraying what I saw.

If I had said that Pickering is shit, that Pickering isn't up to it, that Pickering is a waste of money, that I don't rate Pickering etc, then fair enough, thats assertive and final, and of course a massive overreaction. And indeed, I have not seen any other people saying anything which makes your frustrations warranted.

Also, on Brereton, the jury is very much still out and he still needs to do much more, although happy to see a considerable improvement last season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Sorry I'm confused by this statement, Brereton still yet to show us what he can actually do? I'm really yet to see a championship level player.

You’ve really not been paying attention if you think he’s not a championship level player

• Like 2

I watched Pickering at Bradford and have to say I wasn't particularly impressed, but it doesn't mean I've written him off yet. There also needs to be some context as to what people expect from him - he's stepping up a league so in theory against better players than he's used to and more so, what are we expecting from a 650k player?  And with all due respect to our club, if Pickering really was that great a prospect, surely a club more likely to get promoted would have signed him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whoa hang on, the situation an FFP black hole has emerged is entirely  due to Mowbray constructing a vastly bloated squad, never selling anyone, giving excessively generous and lengthy contracts to players who needed replacing and spending dead money on loanees.

If you're agreeing and saying it's a pity if he doesn't walk because he feels hard done to, I apologise.

I'm saying that it's a shame he doesn't have the moral decency to  quit like Lambert did.  Another black mark that he's prepared to accept it.  

I want him out of the club as soon as!

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

I am not as against loanees as long as they are good enough and make us better. It is all well and good saying we should develop our own and I get that, indeed it doesnt have to be one or the other, but if the loanees are better players than what we have, which in many cases they will be, then they make us better so get them in.

My issue with them at the moment is more the quantity (5 last season was too many and it seems that we are going down the same route, and indeed  at the moment how lacking we are in experience, if ever there was a time for more kids, its not now.

I also dont have a problem with being more prudent and I don't expect us to start splashing out loads of money all the time, especially as a Championship club where losses are regular.

What I do have a problem with is the lack of joined up thinking, the lack of competence and the lack of care. Venkys regularly just seem to turn off the taps and drift even further away, leaving the manager at that time totally confused. 2 unnecessary embargoes so far. They aren't even trying to run the club efficiently and effectively, they cant be arsed themselves nor are they willing to delegate power, they leave incompetent managers in charge, no competent CEO, assets losing value, no guarantee of even a small % of any player sale to reinvest, no scope even to fill a reasonable level of a considerable wage reduction to bring in a couple of experienced players.

Yet we still have people praising Venkys and defending them. Beggars belief.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

is there any, any chance at all we could get Elliott back....?

I would imagine there would be interest form the likes of Brentford, Watford and Norwich, maybe even a Palace or Southampton. 

I think he goes out on loan, and if it is to the Championship I think we have a better than 50:50 chance unless a Fulham, WBA or Sheff Utd want him.

I feel a "footballing" low end PL team will get him.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Rovers require a midfield general along the lines of a Gordon Cowans type figure. Someone who can fight and play and who the likes of Davenport and Buckley can learn from to enhance their game.

Disappointed that Ayala and Chapman are not on the park alongside Gallagher.

I heard the rumour last night about Rothwell being sold and a link to a social media post that a very close friend of his wife posted and then quickly removed, i understand it referred to her best mate moving away ! Take it as it reads, until I see it announced by a club then it hasnt happened yet.

Very annoyed at Mowbrays comments. Truly on his shoulders alone.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Frustrating to see people making such assertive and final comments about a player given one performance against a European elite winger who's sought after by Liverpool in a reported £38m deal...

If Ben Brereton has taught us anything, which seemingly he hasn't, surely it's that we need to be more patient. 

Are they final comments? Or are they first impressions based on what people have seen so far? Unless people have said they’re final, maybe take them as the latter?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'm saying that it's a shame he doesn't have the moral decency to  quit like Lambert did.  Another black mark that he's prepared to accept it.  

I want him out of the club as soon as!

Agreed, on Mowbray walking out, it was just the possible implication that he might have cause to do so for being hard done to I objected to.

It's a mess of his own making!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed, on Mowbray walking out, it was just the possible implication that he might have cause to do so for being hard done to I objected to.

It's a mess of his own making!

But it is his ignorance to the fact that is most annoying !

• Like 1