BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

36 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Mowbray is happy to sell him?? Pretty sure most managers come out fighting to keep their top scorer - not least when 2nd top didn't make double figures...

Disgraceful comment.

Even more so when he concedes he doesn't even know whether he'll be able to reinvest any of the proceeds!

Roughly translates as: "I'm going to cling onto this last 12 month's salary for all it's worth."

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, neophox said:

Mowbrays time at Rovers looks numbered... be prepared for Johnson to take over..  in a cheap way like Bowyer did and then maybe ... we can hope somebody tells Venkys about Ainsworth...

Mowbray will get us relegated and then be offered a new contract as ‘he has experience in getting us out of L1’. 

Groundhog club. 

• Like 2

How in the name of god has it not been agreed/discussed how much if any of Armstrong's potential fee will be reinvested? 

Mowbray coming out complaining then. 

Horrible basketcase of a club and whilst we have some decent players still, they deserve better and we ,the fans, definitely deserve better. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For £650k from a youngster from a lower Lower League Club I expect a bloody good player! A while ago now but King Kenny signed Alan Wright from Blackpool for £450k I think it was.

I'm making no comment about Pickering as I haven't seen him play yet and I think he has the profile of exactly the type of player he should be signing.

But equally you can't imo say don't expect much from a player because they only cost X or came from League 1 or 2.

We need all our signings to be good ones otherwise it's money wasted no matter how little they cost.

Signed Wright nearly 30 years ago.  

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's simple really and iv'e banged on about it all along, he won't get anything because hes already spent it. There's a 12 million quid shaped hole on the books in the last cycle of FFP.

Only way that could ever be plugged was promotion or sales or owner input. Because of what we spend on wages the last bit can't cover it.

So here we are largely courtesy of this mangers slow build policy. Which included spending big on two forwards and gambling on higher wage short term contracts on for Downing, Holtby, Johnson etc. Alongside costly loans and keep the likes of Evans, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Bennett etc on deals they didn't warrant.

Some journey.

Beautifully and concisely put. Bravo!

I also ridiculed the "slow build" idea as soon as it became a thing describing it as a method by which Mowbray could excuse poor performance and keep himself in a job as long as possible. Then everyone would wake up a few years later realising we were in the same or a worse position than when we started.

• Like 7

• Backroom

The only thing Mowbray's slow build has done is slowly put FFP weights around us, which are now dragging us down. 

If we had somebody intelligent taking care of the bigger picture we would never end up in this situation, let alone for the second time in six years, but alas...

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, DE. said:

The only thing Mowbray's slow build has done is slowly put FFP weights around us, which are now dragging us down. 

If we had somebody intelligent taking care of the bigger picture we would never end up in this situation, let alone for the second time in six years, but alas...

Yep, spot on there, it was obvious really by the end of the last two seasons that Mowbray couldn't go on piling players on top of more players without offloading anyone.

A competent CEO would have picked this up ages ago and when he didn't the owners should have been engaged enough to intervene.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wouldn't have thought many League 1 fullbacks have gone for much higher sums than Pickering since though although I'm only guessing there so happy to be proved otherwise.

As comparison we signed Shearer for less than £4m.  How much would he cost in today's market?

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's simple really and iv'e banged on about it all along, he won't get anything because hes already spent it. There's a 12 million quid shaped hole on the books in the last cycle of FFP.

Only way that could ever be plugged was promotion or sales or owner input. Because of what we spend on wages the last bit can't cover it.

So here we are largely courtesy of this mangers slow build policy. Which included spending big on two forwards and gambling on higher wage short term contracts on for Downing, Holtby, Johnson etc. Alongside costly loans and keep the likes of Evans, Smallwood, Mulgrew, Bennett etc on deals they didn't warrant.

Some journey.

This is the problem of not having a proper CEO, most managers will keep spending until someone stops them. 

As any Armstrong money will go to fix FFP for the next cycle, it doesn’t matter if we sell him at one minute to midnight on deadline day. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

To be fair, the young lad looked miles better.  And I'll say, I've known Lennie since he was 13, he's come on a bit.....surprised me, since he came from Liverpool the club look to have done well with him....he was never a left back at a younger age.

Used to play for Rossendale against my lad in junior football. Was never one you thought was extra special and did he not also fail to make the grade at Accy?

He's obviously come on from then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Beautifully and concisely put. Bravo!

I also ridiculed the "slow build" idea as soon as it became a thing describing it as a method by which Mowbray could excuse poor performance and keep himself in a job as long as possible. Then everyone would wake up a few years later realising we were in the same or a worse position than when we started.

I'll cut him some slack where the Dack situation is concerned as that sale would've covered his big fees spent. However i doubt the team would be in any different position and we'd still be playing crab football.

Any room that might have created with FFP would probably just have meant him retaining Evans, Bell, Bennett etc.

That's how he works, he's no youth revolutionary we just have no other options now really.

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Agreed. I think he has been given many privileges here that other managers would have made far more of.

He still has the benefit of a super academy. Spoilt really. 

Yet, we are where we are 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cesus said:

I know Venkys are shite houses, I know Mowbray is holding on with all his might to his last ever pay day, I know Waggott is the worst CEO in football. But, I'm still going to say it ... I'm absolutely staggered at what is going on at Blackburn Rovers with regards to preparing a squad for a season in England's second tier, I'd be shocked if a league two club were so clueless. It is an absolutel embarrassment to the history of this famous club, its an absolute shambles!!!

I wouldn't call people that are pumping in nearly £400k a week into our club shite houses. 

17 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

So someone through the door tomorrow then, one way or another. At least it will give us something to talk about m.

Think it’s Rothwell away, and either Reach in or Doyle on loan from City.

Are we sure anyone is in tomorrow. Can see this dragging on

• Like 1