BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

As soon as West Brom entered the running for Reach it was over really. Playing under a better manager, presumably on a better wage and for a club who should be challenging at the top end. He was always choosing them. How many targets have we got left now, if any?

It all feels rudderless with the only idea now being to wait and see which kids the Premier League clubs will allow out on loan. This is after Mowbray only recently saying how we need men in the team. He said the same at Coventry too. He's had three years to get 'men' in our side.

Oh and what a nice man Balaji Rao is by the way. Bringing John Park into the club, allowing him to chill out in the offices at Ewood and paying him for it too. A top man is Balaji.

• Like 5

The saddest thing about this and it clearly highlights the biggest fault with Mowbray is that he has had many weeks to get his plans in order yet failed to properly plan especially around the area of free agents of which there are many available that would have enhanced the team. He has failed miserably a bit like his persona and he is already shifting blame which is another of his great traits. 

Reach might have been a decent signing, he could also have flopped. One thing is for certain WBA have their plans in place and will be a force in the division sadly Rovers won’t even make the grade of being a half decent side. As it stands we will be down and out by the end of October.

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The main thing that will drive most people like anyone in life is going to be money. If we offered more money than another mid table club, a selective run of form last season wont swing the decision. But there is no way that a player would say, they won 2 in 17 at one point last season, I better had go elsewhere. Equally, they could look at a few thrashings that we gave out or isolated runs of 3 and 4 wins, but again form levels out and we finished 15th, which is what they will see.

I dont doubt that Mowbray shouldnt be in the job, and has had loads of time, and competitive resources. But not for the first time, our summer business has been massively impacted by Venkys. By all means try and make a profit with sales v purchases, but not to the point when it isnt competitive, and also the embargo was a huge hindrance.

Nope, don't agree. Nobody is going to look at the start of the season. We got found out and were the worst team in England near the end. Of course players take that into account. We don't offer wages that would blow players away enough to ignore that. Luton and Barnsley are more attractive than us right now. Two of many. 

We should be signing free agents. Plenty of good ones out there. We have a budget. I put the fact we aren't doing that down to the manager.I think Mowbray is cranky and down in the dumps and whatever ability he had to sell the club to players has vanished.  I don't buy the excuse about the embargo. That was lifted almost 1 month ago. The management and recruitment teams should have been prepared for that.

It sounds like you're buying into his excuses and I'm surprised by that. 

20 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The saddest thing about this and it clearly highlights the biggest fault with Mowbray is that he has had many weeks to get his plans in order yet failed to properly plan especially around the area of free agents of which there are many available that would have enhanced the team. He has failed miserably a bit like his persona and he is already shifting blame which is another of his great traits. 

Reach might have been a decent signing, he could also have flopped. One thing is for certain WBA have their plans in place and will be a force in the division sadly Rovers won’t even make the grade of being a half decent side. As it stands we will be down and out by the end of October.

Of course he has had plenty of time since but no blame is being put to Venkys for allowing us to slide into another embargo in the first place. 

He does have excuses this summer, the embargo, the lack of guarantee that we would get any money to replace Armstrong and the extent to which the taps have been turned off all would have impacted any manager. His blame lies for what has happened prior to this summer and the current state of the squad and he shouldnt be here, I get that but it doesnt mean that he deserves the brunt of the blame for a summer of nothingness caused by those in India.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nope, don't agree. Nobody is going to look at the start of the season. We got found out and were the worst team in England near the end. Of course players take that into account. We don't offer wages that would blow players away enough to ignore that. Luton and Barnsley are more attractive than us right now. Two of many. 

We should be signing free agents. Plenty of good ones out there. We have a budget. I put the fact we aren't doing that down to the manager.I think Mowbray is cranky and down in the dumps and whatever ability he had to sell the club to players has vanished.  I don't buy the excuse about the embargo. That was lifted almost 1 month ago. The management and recruitment teams should have been prepared for that.

It sounds like you're buying into his excuses and I'm surprised by that. 

I've repeatedly stated that Mowbray should go and the current squad state is down to him. But this summer, much of what has happened is not his fault, or will have massively impeded his job to improve the squad.

If you genuinely think that people are specifically avoiding us and Mowbray because of the "2 wins in 17 run" then fair enough, I personally dont think that is the case at all. We have been a mid table Championship club for 3 seasons, one that we follow intently from the inside, potential signings external to that wont avoid us based on a random spell of form. The worst team in England is not mid way up the second tier.

The free agent market is definitely a key one especially in these covid times and an especially congested one with so many teams needing to use it and little money across the league. I think because Mowbray shouldnt be in the job, which I agree with, the difficulties of working whilst literally unable to sign players for much of the summer are just being ignored. Many free agents that may have appealed will have already gone elsewhere (Vrancic, Woods, James, Marcondes, Pearson etc) by the time that we came out of it, or were probably already deep in discussions, ie Mpanzu who chose to stay at Luton.

Mowbray wants out (without walking) and not signing anyone and playing kids will make it easier for him to be sacked before his contract expires which is ultimately what he wants (and also use it to absolve himself from blame if he intends to try and get another job in management), his project has failed and he wants paid out ASAP. 
To hell with anything Rovers related, club, fans etc. 

• Like 1

our scouting system is non existant it seems and the much vaunted european scouting regime must have been shut down,a football club on our scale relies on finding new talent and selling them on,unless of course you have f***kwhits running the show,i was pretty confident of avoiding the drop this season now it`s getting more and more obvious that going into a new season with the current inexperience and lack of numbers is a certainty for the drop,the championship is a tough league,2 games a week and very competetive,physically as well we must be the smallest side in the whole football league

• Like 1

If we have nothing to spend, why is Mowbray still here? Its the end of the cycle, give someone else a go with the kids, he does not have a good track record.

For the record I would be fine with leaning on the academy this year with a couple of solid loan signings, just not with Mowbray and the cronies.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course he has had plenty of time since but no blame is being put to Venkys for allowing us to slide into another embargo in the first place. 

He does have excuses this summer, the embargo, the lack of guarantee that we would get any money to replace Armstrong and the extent to which the taps have been turned off all would have impacted any manager. His blame lies for what has happened prior to this summer and the current state of the squad and he shouldnt be here, I get that but it doesnt mean that he deserves the brunt of the blame for a summer of nothingness caused by those in India.

I've repeatedly stated that Mowbray should go and the current squad state is down to him. But this summer, much of what has happened is not his fault, or will have massively impeded his job to improve the squad.

If you genuinely think that people are specifically avoiding us and Mowbray because of the "2 wins in 17 run" then fair enough, I personally dont think that is the case at all. We have been a mid table Championship club for 3 seasons, one that we follow intently from the inside, potential signings external to that wont avoid us based on a random spell of form. The worst team in England is not mid way up the second tier.

The free agent market is definitely a key one especially in these covid times and an especially congested one with so many teams needing to use it and little money across the league. I think because Mowbray shouldnt be in the job, which I agree with, the difficulties of working whilst literally unable to sign players for much of the summer are just being ignored. Many free agents that may have appealed will have already gone elsewhere (Vrancic, Woods, James, Marcondes, Pearson etc) by the time that we came out of it, or were probably already deep in discussions, ie Mpanzu who chose to stay at Luton.

We were the worst form team in England at that point. Many think we will go down. Do you? Same manager, weaker squad and Armstrong likely to go. So I would say the 2 wins in 17 would be something players think about when looking at signing, but let's agree to disagree on that. 

You're assuming we would have been in for some of those players. That's hard to know really. Are they "Mowbray" players? It was an inconvenience, but we don't appear to have been prepared for when the embargo ended. I put that on the manager. I don't think he wants to be here and that's rubbing off on all facets of the team. 

I was against it, but I would take Johnson as manager. I think Mowbray is toxic and needs to go. You are correct of course though, that's on the owners. Unless they made the foolish decision to trust Waggot with those calls. The whole thing is rotten. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He sucked it up and praised the owners previous summers. Do you not find it telling that he appears to be publicly outing them now? He's in self preservation mode and those morons are oblivious 

• Like 1

I don’t think the majority of players look past their wage packet . I’d argue more players would sign for us on better wages than Burnley in the prem if there was an extra five grand a week going in there bank

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I don’t think the majority of players look past their wage packet . I’d argue more players would sign for us on better wages than Burnley in the prem if there was an extra five grand a week going in there bank

But that doesn't and won't happen in reality 

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Reach would have been a big signing for us this summer, for West brom he's just another option. Miles and miles ahead of us. 

3 hours ago, RoverKyle said:

I massively agree with this. He was reportedly on £23k per week. We wouldn't have been offering those wages, whereas West Brom may have done. We could use that money better.

Yep, i think we'd have offered him a decent one for our payroll but not that much. WBA can probably chuck him 25k per week so leave them to it.

We are supposed to be moving away from this kind of thing. Also like i said it's another worry that we only seem to offer these kind of wages to ex boro who Mowbray knows.

If they'd have signed him on 10k pwk for 2 years then fair enough but really we aren't going to get much for that in terms of established championship players.

• Like 1

Not posted in here in a very long time...but do check in regularly. I was a fan of Mowbray but in the last 12 months he has led me to dislike him more than coyle (never Kean though)... I agree with thhe poster who said he's getting no money because in the last 2 years he's spent and wasted it..I'm not even slightly excited at the prospect of prem loans.. much prefer we play our kids.

• Like 7

I'm clinging to the hope that he leaves or gets potted in time for a new guy to come in and do a rescue act.

I can't see us getting many points from the first few games, so the pressure may mount fairly quickly.

I could be wishful thinking though I guess....