BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

8 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Welcome back Gav.

Our kids are playing this year whether we sign 4 premier league loans or not, that much is clear. We have lost 11 players.

The thing that pisses me off soo much is everyone at the club should have known this stripped back version of the transfer window was coming, and the kids should have been playing the last 4 games of last season to see who could hack it. Instead we had to watch Mowbray with his pathetic self preservation ploy. Sickening, and now we go into the Swansea game next week non the wiser. The whole senior management setup at the club is an absolute farce top to bottom.

Precisely 

Another manager would now be speaking of the excitement of having such good young players. Mowbray will go all in on how tough it is on him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Welcome back Gav.

Our kids are playing this year whether we sign 4 premier league loans or not, that much is clear. We have lost 11 players.

The thing that pisses me off soo much is everyone at the club should have known this stripped back version of the transfer window was coming, and the kids should have been playing the last 4 games of last season to see who could hack it. Instead we had to watch Mowbray with his pathetic self preservation ploy. Sickening, and now we go into the Swansea game next week non the wiser. The whole senior management setup at the club is an absolute farce top to bottom.

Good post.

Surely any slightly organised team/business/charity would have at least an A-Z plan of actions.

A - We are given a Brereton style transfer budget.

Z-  Nothing, scrapping around for lads to be given a chance from the Northern Premier league.

We seem to have no plan whatsoever. 

Edited by cesus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Pleased to miss out on Reach. Not pleased with the lack of forward thinking and activity from the club.

We haven't been forward thinking in 11 years and won't be till the shisters depart and the shenanigans end.

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Pretty much a guarantee now.

We'll have offered Reach a contract but with zero back up targets. Sat on our arses waiting for an answer and now he's off elsewhere, it'll be "that's a shame", shoulder shrug and start looking for someone else, which will take another 2 weeks.

Same as it ever was, einsteins definition applies, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Madness.

I hope there are 3 worse teams than us this season as once AA leaves we will struggle. BB could depart too 12 months left, high stock and no new contract in sight.  We desperately need captain mannering.

Edited by Ulrich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We were the worst form team in England at that point. Many think we will go down. Do you? Same manager, weaker squad and Armstrong likely to go. So I would say the 2 wins in 17 would be something players think about when looking at signing, but let's agree to disagree on that. 

You're assuming we would have been in for some of those players. That's hard to know really. Are they "Mowbray" players? It was an inconvenience, but we don't appear to have been prepared for when the embargo ended. I put that on the manager. I don't think he wants to be here and that's rubbing off on all facets of the team. 

I was against it, but I would take Johnson as manager. I think Mowbray is toxic and needs to go. You are correct of course though, that's on the owners. Unless they made the foolish decision to trust Waggot with those calls. The whole thing is rotten. 

I just think that as Rovers fans, it is easy to perhaps look at the situation whereby we follow every game and are emotionally involved and obviously more clued up as to the direction that we feel the club is in. A random player who has no affiliation to us would I suspect view us and a clutch of other teams around us in similar esteem, all a much of a muchness. They would probably be ignorant to slumps or peaks in form that we may have had, the main driver between any 2 clubs would be money, and beyond that, more trivial matters, things like being played in specific positions, maybe knowing players/the manager from previously, location etc. And whatever club they choose, the usual sound bites will come out, they have a good feeling, the club is ambitious and going places, I want to play for the manager, its a big club, we are going in the right direction etc.

An example would be Bristol City. I remember that their form was absolutely awful after appointing Pearson. Just checked and they lost 7 (and drew 2) of their last 9, and lost 15 of their last 21, winning only 3. I am unsure if you was aware of that, the average player may not be aware of quite how bad they were under a new manager, and they finished 19th, do you think that players would join Huddersfield over both us and Bristol City, they finished 20th but rather than a prolonged poor run, they were just consistently worse?

I think it is only fair to at least accept that the embargo in particular has made Mowbray's life harder. Whether he could have been more proactive post the embargo, perhaps yes, but there was a massive disadvantage in the first place in that we couldnt confirm deals past the point to which many contracts expired and indeed those players had got fixed up elsewhere. 

I also don't think that he is "toxic" or even that he doesn't want to be here, I think he does, I just think that he shouldnt be, and thats on the owners.

I do think we will be in trouble which is more generalised than a specific run of form but that is for a number of reasons, one being the financial restrictions to the point where we could sell our best player for a big fee and not spend a penny, hence why we cannot even compete for the sorts of players that I touched on in the first 2 paragraphs. The manager is also a reason, but if Rovers offered a player 5k more than anyone else in the league, we would almost certainly get them, Mowbray or no Mowbray.

We do definitely both agree on the main issue, the whole thing certainly is rotten, and its so shit to watch it unfold like this.

Edited by roversfan99

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His wages are speculative, I very much doubt in these times that anyone has come close to equalling his wages. He will be a squad player at West Brom.

Exactly he won't be on the same money as he was at Wednesday.

He is the right age ,has over 300 appearances at this level and isn't a bad player.

I dont think he is brilliant but with our budget are we likely to get any better ?

Looks like no signings until the prem clubs let their kids out, lets hope they are of similar quality to Tosin, Elliot and Harwood Bellis who were 3 of our better players whilst here.

It might not aid us long term in the development of some of our own young players who I think will get opportunitys regardless next season but the squad needs some quality and depth adding big time as short term it looks like a bottom half battle ,we need stay up and hopefully once his contract is up we will see some new faces in dugout and upstairs next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

He'll come out of this smelling of roses, even if we rely on the kids and struggle badly. Why? Because everyone in football, including the press, knows that we have clueless owners. It's a convenient get out for any manager that fails here, even though the owners are exactly that, clueless.

The narrative is already being set around 'poor Tony, he has to make do with loans, finances are tight'. Mowbray is trying to get that out there himself now to deflect away any blame. If he gets sacked I'm sure it will be a case of 'poor Tony, he was always up against it with those owners'. Forgetting that he has been given ample time, money to spend and not been forced to sell key players.

Honestly I just don't think the media cares about us. 

We were on TV in the middle of that dire losing run. It was BARELY mentioned. If it had been Derby or Brentford, for example, they wouldn't have shut up about the awful form the team was in and would have been questioning whether the manager was about to get the sack. 

Mowbray should have been all over free transfers from January it’s as simple as that. The club knew they would not be strangled by a lasting embargo in June and more likely in the 6 months before so it cannot be held as an excuse or reason. The list of players available is pretty impressive there are players who would complement and improve the team so there are no excuses. The money we have saved in outgoings would easily cover wages because players know wage expectations are much lower than they have been in over 15 years.

Its just a pitiful excuse for a stagnant set up run by incompetent people. 

• Like 8

Mowbray should have been sacked, at least 2 years ago and somebody competent employed...

The man is way out of his depth in this division , we are now on the cusp of another relegation , which like the last 2 should have been prevented...

The Venkys inability to sack Kean , Coyle and now Mowbray will lead to the inevitable drop..

Ironically we play Bolton Wanderers tomorrow , if only we could have ditched the Venkys 3 years ago ..

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Mowbray should have been sacked, at least 2 years ago and somebody competent employed...

The man is way out of his depth in this division , we are now on the cusp of another relegation , which like the last 2 should have been prevented...

The Venkys inability to sack Kean , Coyle and now Mowbray will lead to the inevitable drop..

Ironically we play Bolton Wanderers tomorrow , if only we could have ditched the Venkys 3 years ago ..

I cannot understand how we can be on the cusp of a relegation, when the season hasn't started yet. Could you enlighten me with facts not rhetoric. 

• Like 1

Mowbray was yesterday's man in 2016 when he left Coventry City in ruins.

He could hide behind bad ownership there and yet Mark Robins has worked under the same ownership and has hauled them to the same league and a better state than us with a fraction of the money.

Mowbray's entire Christmases came at once getting this job. Sadly for us he's taking us the same way he was taking Coventry. Down and out. Same story too. Same issues, errors, gaps and negligence of key areas and aspects.

I hope for all our sakes him and his chums are removed as quickly as possible.

• Like 5

Before we bank on these premier League loans they could be Elliott and Tosin standard OR they could be the next Palmer and Walton. 

To be in this situation after 4 years of journeying is a joke. Will be interesting to see if/how much better off we are than when we got promoted or even under Coyle. 

39 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Mowbray should have been all over free transfers from January it’s as simple as that. The club knew they would not be strangled by a lasting embargo in June and more likely in the 6 months before so it cannot be held as an excuse or reason. The list of players available is pretty impressive there are players who would complement and improve the team so there are no excuses. The money we have saved in outgoings would easily cover wages because players know wage expectations are much lower than they have been in over 15 years.

Its just a pitiful excuse for a stagnant set up run by incompetent people. 

Domestic free agents cannot agree contracts with us until June, when we was in an embargo and when the better ones went elsewhere when we could not finalise deals. And Mowbray could not be expected to predict an embargo. That is on Venkys. Mowbray needs to go but people are not judging this individual situation rationally by overlooking the impact of the embargo.

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Domestic free agents cannot agree contracts with us until June, when we was in an embargo and when the better ones went elsewhere when we could not finalise deals. And Mowbray could not be expected to predict an embargo. That is on Venkys. Mowbray needs to go but people are not judging this individual situation rationally by overlooking the impact of the embargo.

Not buying this.  You can agree a deal, tell the player to train with us but not employ him and back date his pay.  Its not rocket science.

I get the feeling this self inflicted "embargo" that lasted about a week is a nice divergence,  and you seem to be falling for it.  Mowbray has had months to sort some players, he's a tit.  The owners are the owners.

• Like 1

Those saying we should have agreed free transfers months back seem to forget our owners seem not to agree the coming seasons budget until the end of the previous season. 

As much as we have saved x thousands per week on those who left, who's to say the budget hasn't been slashed? Venkys would probably welcome the opportunity to 'only' have to cover a 15m deficit and not 20m. Yes that will grow if we get relegated, but perhaps they're hoping that won't happen. 

I think the biggest issue, as a business model, we've had over the last few seasons is an inability to sell players. Off the top of my head I can't recall the last significant transfer fee received, that isn't sustainable for us. It was annoying, but understandable and worked, when every year we had to sell a Warnock, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Bellamy etc. Buy low, sell high, reinvest. I love him being at the club, but Dack should have been sold after the first season back in this division, when we maybe could have got £8m. 

8 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Cos I don't believe Mowbray will keep us up ...

So we are not on the cusp of relegation. I agree that I don't think Mowbray is right for the Rovers. But that does not go hand in hand with us being relegated.

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I just think that as Rovers fans, it is easy to perhaps look at the situation whereby we follow every game and are emotionally involved and obviously more clued up as to the direction that we feel the club is in. A random player who has no affiliation to us would I suspect view us and a clutch of other teams around us in similar esteem, all a much of a muchness. They would probably be ignorant to slumps or peaks in form that we may have had, the main driver between any 2 clubs would be money, and beyond that, more trivial matters, things like being played in specific positions, maybe knowing players/the manager from previously, location etc. And whatever club they choose, the usual sound bites will come out, they have a good feeling, the club is ambitious and going places, I want to play for the manager, its a big club, we are going in the right direction etc.

An example would be Bristol City. I remember that their form was absolutely awful after appointing Pearson. Just checked and they lost 7 (and drew 2) of their last 9, and lost 15 of their last 21, winning only 3. I am unsure if you was aware of that, the average player may not be aware of quite how bad they were under a new manager, and they finished 19th, do you think that players would join Huddersfield over both us and Bristol City, they finished 20th but rather than a prolonged poor run, they were just consistently worse?

I think it is only fair to at least accept that the embargo in particular has made Mowbray's life harder. Whether he could have been more proactive post the embargo, perhaps yes, but there was a massive disadvantage in the first place in that we couldnt confirm deals past the point to which many contracts expired and indeed those players had got fixed up elsewhere. 

I also don't think that he is "toxic" or even that he doesn't want to be here, I think he does, I just think that he shouldnt be, and thats on the owners.

I do think we will be in trouble which is more generalised than a specific run of form but that is for a number of reasons, one being the financial restrictions to the point where we could sell our best player for a big fee and not spend a penny, hence why we cannot even compete for the sorts of players that I touched on in the first 2 paragraphs. The manager is also a reason, but if Rovers offered a player 5k more than anyone else in the league, we would almost certainly get them, Mowbray or no Mowbray.

We do definitely both agree on the main issue, the whole thing certainly is rotten, and its so shit to watch it unfold like this.

I thought we said agree to disagree on that 😉

I think players would look at our form, the managerial situation and it would sway them. The reality is we will be competing with those around us. Mowbray not been sacked last season was literally unprecedented. They will see we have made no signings , that our top scorer is leaving. You're making footballers out to be compete morons who don't know anything beyond how many zeros are on their pay checks. I don't think that's always the case and they have others advising them. We are not an attractive proposition and we aren't blowing anyone out of the water wages wise as we have a pay structure. 

22 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

The bloke is a walking contradiction 

Personally I don't get the, "you can't win anything with kids" excuse. We did last night. It all depends what the target is. How good the kids are and how well they are managed.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I don't get the, "you can't win anything with kids" excuse. We did last night. It all depends what the target is. How good the kids are and how well they are managed.

A new one should be you can’t win anything with mowbray 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

A new one should be you can’t win anything with mowbray 

Yes you can, you just have to change the goals. For example, TM aims to be the most contradictory manager in football.  And at that he is a clear winner 👍