BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

We need a few more bodies in to cover injuries obviously, but I think a good manager would get our current crop of players performing really well. TM seems to want to be seen as a brilliant tactician, but he’s not good enough and probably confuses the players. It certainly looks that way as they don’t seem to know what they are expected to do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we now some players with Leadership and experience but if the funds aren't there for different reasons whether its the owners who want cutbacks and not willing to keep funding the club at the past 3 seasons level or FFP rules that need to meet then what can be done? Mowbray has been financially backed for the past 3 seasons whether its wages or transfer fees that he should have lost his job or at least change his staff instead. 

Yes I was pleased that we released the players we did. Would have prefer Johnson and Chapman to join that list aswell. 

Would you have been happy if we have signed a Adam Reach then who is experience?

I agree that some of the Armstrong money should be invested in a suitable replacement and couple of low cost permanent signings

I think you are correct to a point but I think its was Mowbray and Waggott decision to sell the training ground and when the owners found out about these plans and to downgraded the academy then stopped these plans. 

I do wonder why the owners have kept Mowbray and Waggott in place

in what role?

Venkys have always been the problem with any underperforming manager being merely a symptom, and that is evident this summer. Not only an embargo that has massively hindered the manager, but seemingly no scope to try and bring what we need in, even at a fraction of the cost of the outgoings. Our remaining squad is very young and needs some leadership, so the manager being restricted to only be able to bring in kids on loan will only compound that issue. It feels like the summer when Coyle was in charge and also Bowyer's last summer, one of which ended in relegation and the other ended in the stripping of all our key assets. Its not a constructive way to run a football club. So do you agree that we are in need of experience and that a loaning kids only policy will likely cause huge issues?

Reach is a player that I believe you recommended earlier in the summer so I was surprised to see you suggest that he wouldn't have improved us the other day. I was rather unconvinced, he does have a screamer in his locker and he is technically decent but he is very inconsistent and there are also huge questions about his application, coming under fire for his attitude in a relegation fight last season which would be a huge red flag ahead of our battle this season, would he have the character? As it is, standards are so low that he would have probably been an important signing for us and would certainly get into our team.

I get the need to raise money, for example to cut the wage bill of which a huge chunk has been cleared, but at least allow a small proportion of that saving to be reinvested into bringing in senior faces, on free transfers if necessary. Likewise, no guarantee of any funds to replace Armstrong, even if you say if you sell him, you can have 2/3/4m for a replacement and keep the rest, surely thats the way to go.

The most galling thing is that almost everyone was in agreement that releasing the likes of Holtby and Evans was the correct thing to do. As it is, they would possibly both start next week if they were still here. I also am repulsed every time I see people still desperate to defend Venkys, the losses they "fund" are self inflicted.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Venkys have always been the problem with any underperforming manager being merely a symptom, and that is evident this summer. Not only an embargo that has massively hindered the manager, but seemingly no scope to try and bring what we need in, even at a fraction of the cost of the outgoings. Our remaining squad is very young and needs some leadership, so the manager being restricted to only be able to bring in kids on loan will only compound that issue. It feels like the summer when Coyle was in charge and also Bowyer's last summer, one of which ended in relegation and the other ended in the stripping of all our key assets. Its not a constructive way to run a football club. So do you agree that we are in need of experience and that a loaning kids only policy will likely cause huge issues?

Reach is a player that I believe you recommended earlier in the summer so I was surprised to see you suggest that he wouldn't have improved us the other day. I was rather unconvinced, he does have a screamer in his locker and he is technically decent but he is very inconsistent and there are also huge questions about his application, coming under fire for his attitude in a relegation fight last season which would be a huge red flag ahead of our battle this season, would he have the character? As it is, standards are so low that he would have probably been an important signing for us and would certainly get into our team.

I get the need to raise money, for example to cut the wage bill of which a huge chunk has been cleared, but at least allow a small proportion of that saving to be reinvested into bringing in senior faces, on free transfers if necessary. Likewise, no guarantee of any funds to replace Armstrong, even if you say if you sell him, you can have 2/3/4m for a replacement and keep the rest, surely thats the way to go.

The most galling thing is that almost everyone was in agreement that releasing the likes of Holtby and Evans was the correct thing to do. As it is, they would possibly both start next week if they were still here. I also am repulsed every time I see people still desperate to defend Venkys, the losses they "fund" are self inflicted.

I wish you'd stop making excuses for Mowbray. He's been very well backed and then some since he's been at the Club. The current crisis is entirely of his (and Waggott's) making.

Yes, the owners should have seen the warning signs and nipped it in the bud long ago. But Mowbray is the one who's created the latest crisis.

No-one else.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I wish you'd stop making excuses for Mowbray. He's been very well backed and then some since he's been at the Club. The current crisis is entirely of his (and Waggott's) making.

Yes, the owners should have seen the warning signs and nipped it in the bud long ago. But Mowbray is the one who's created the latest crisis.

No-one else.

i could`nt agree more,i honestly think swag and mowbray persauded venkys that they could run the club and they could be trusted thus venkys took a back seat,all went well with promotion,albeit being very well backed,it started to unravel when it was clear tony is`nt a good enough coach or manager to make an impression in the championship and he wasted lots of money on stupid signings and big wages for players who he then could`nt get the best out of,now he`s released them there is`nt any money to replace them

34 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No-one else.

I have repeatedly said that Mowbray should have been sacked a while ago, is out of his depth and have criticised the squad that he has assembled. I hardly think that I have a place in the Tony Mowbray fan club.

Fact of the matter is that being subject to a transfer embargo for much of the summer, being limited to only borrowing kids on loan deals when a considerable chunk of the wage bill has been cleared at the expiry of the contracts of various experienced players, and to not be guaranteed even a small proportion of any sale proceeds that Armstrong will bring in would handicap any manager, not just Mowbray. 

Venkys have created the prolonged crisis ever since they bought us. The fact that Mowbray is still here is again on Venkys, its not just a mere oversight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I have repeatedly said that Mowbray should have been sacked a while ago, is out of his depth and have criticised the squad that he has assembled. I hardly think that I have a place in the Tony Mowbray fan club.

Fact of the matter is that being subject to a transfer embargo for much of the summer, being limited to only borrowing kids on loan deals when a considerable chunk of the wage bill has been cleared at the expiry of the contracts of various experienced players, and to not be guaranteed even a small proportion of any sale proceeds that Armstrong will bring in would handicap any manager, not just Mowbray. 

Venkys have created the prolonged crisis ever since they bought us. The fact that Mowbray is still here is again on Venkys, its not just a mere oversight.

With the time and resources Mowbray has had, another manager would have us in a stronger position now. A lot of signings that didn't work out, in positions we didn't need, dead wood and guys that just should not have been given new deals. Mowbrays action have contributed greatly to the problems this window. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tony was well supported last season and we finished 15th. Of course he is only a symptom of a greater malaise, but this doesn’t exonerate him and I struggle to feel any sympathy. If he had integrity he should of walked at the back end of last season when it was crystal clear that the journey had entered a tailspin. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

With the time and resources Mowbray has had, another manager would have us in a stronger position now. A lot of signings that didn't work out, in positions we didn't need, dead wood and guys that just should not have been given new deals. Mowbrays action have contributed greatly to the problems this window. 

I agree, I have been a regular critic of the squad and how it has been assembled over the last few years, and I feel like Mowbray should have long since gone. We should be in a better position than we are entering this summer of turbulence. That being said, it is only fair to at least acknowledge that this summer in isolation is an unnecessarily difficult one based on factors above his head, such as the embargo and the total unwillingness to give the manger even a small % of savings made in the budget to remain competitive.

13 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Tony was well supported last season and we finished 15th. Of course he is only a symptom of a greater malaise, but this doesn’t exonerate him and I struggle to feel any sympathy. If he had integrity he should of walked at the back end of last season when it was crystal clear that the journey had entered a tailspin. 

We didn't spend much last season, with only Kaminski and Pears costing fees totalling less than a million. Over his tenure, he has had reasonable resources, but more importantly plenty of time. He should have done better, he should have built better, and most importantly last season, we noticeably regressed.

I dont really have any sympathy because if the owners gave a shit and indeed had the competence to avoid these restraints, ie by abiding by sustainability regulations to avoid an unnecessary embargo, and by encouraging savings by offering at least a proportion of funds raised through fees and wage savings to keep the squad competitive, then Mowbray wouldn't be in a job, he only is because of Venkys. But I can still acknowledge those difficulties. 

I feel like because everyone is in agreement about Mowbray needing to go, that he is also being blamed for things without any willingness by people to appreciate specific limitations that he has specific to this summer. The embargo was an issue, as is having to rely on kids on loan despite clearing so much of the wage bill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Coventry doing good business. They will definitely finish ahead of us next season. They must have owners who know what the are doing 

No they just discovered the magic formula. Get rid of Mowbray and his gang. Things rapidly improved for them after that.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

On the embargo thing, if you're paying someone 300k p.a. to run the Club (Waggott) surely it's not too much to expect to expect them to comply with EFL regulations and submit any accounts or paperwork in timely fashion so as to avoid an embargo?

Agree entirely it's the owners fault Waggott and Mowbray are still here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, roversinmyblood said:

By being “kind and considerate” by rewarding loyalty so that his players love him, the painful downside to this wasting of money is the behind the scenes staff losing their jobs!!

I'd say that is the perfect assumption of how he likes to work. The nice guy thing, which he probably is, has gone way too far now. It seemed at one point to surpass anything else in order of importance, like going out to get points and try and win at all costs.

Particularly in the eyes of a lot of fans who act like he's their uncle or something. Not a man paid somewhere in the region or 500k to a million quid a year to manage a football team and win games.

Rovers really is a proper soap opera these days instead of the living breathing 24/7 beast that it should be. As fans interest wains so does the importance of any desire to punch above our weight. 

Too many in and out of the club just happy to make up the numbers and not really bother about anything else.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We didn't spend much last season, with only Kaminski and Pears costing fees totalling less than a million. Over his tenure, he has had reasonable resources, but more importantly plenty of time. He should have done better, he should have built better, and most importantly last season, we noticeably regressed.

Ayala might not have been bought for a fee but his signing on fee would have been significant probably more than what we paid for Pears and Kaminski.The loans wouldn't have been cheap either.

The deals for Johnson ,Holtby and Downing in previous seasons wouldn't have been free we would have been giving them signing on fees to bring their wages down.

I think our owners are useless, but it is the team on the ground, Mowbray and Waggott etc whose fault it is for the state of the squad.The owners obviously know nothing about football,they give a budget and let the people on the ground run it.It wasn't their decision to hand out multiple lucrative contracts to ageing and substandard players or spend multi million pound transfer fees on Brererton and Gallagher when the money should have been spent better.

And on the embargo they trust the people on the ground to keep us within the rules.We are a tiny part of their business empire,they probably don't think about us from one month to the next 

The people on the ground have got us into this mess the owners have been signing the cheques and agreeing to nearly everything Mowbray asked for .Owners too thick and pig ignorant to make a change when it's clear the people on the ground ain't up to the job .

• Like 7

Our managers have “given it a go” and been supposedly backed to get promoted, but without the necessary conviction to really “go for it”. By this I mean they have been given a bigger budget in terms of wages to attract players but they have been with the exception of BB, AA and SG freebies and loans. It merely made us more competitive not raised the bar sufficiently to be consistent and be in the top 6. 
we needed one or two real quality signings to make the difference especially as the two main big money signings BB and SG had been flops in terms of scoring. It has been half hearted, reserved “backing” of the managers and lacked real conviction. “Go for it” but with one arm tied behind their backs. 
The teams that have made the top 6 in the last few years, with the exception of Barnsley last year, have already had decent squads and added quality to get them success. They have speculated to accumulate. 
It is clearly a high risk gamble to do so with disastrous consequences if it fails, eg Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday. 
However, financing a more palatable (for Venkies) slow, organic progress whereby we take advantage of our superb academy and become year on year a better side would probably be sustainable. Unfortunately TM cocked up the one big chance we had last year of a top 6 finish. He stupidly thought that quoting that we were at the start of a journey would get him more time. WRONG. 
we desperately need a change of ceo and manager to get the best of what is a decent bunch of players. 
I’m hoping for a poor start, TM out and a new manager in to reinvigorate our team. Wishful thinking I know but you have got try to be positive. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Venkys aren't willing to keep funding the club at the current level plus we have to meet the FFP limit otherwise we face a proper full embargo next year. So this year is going to be tough one going forward. Yes we have young squad but we also have a squad that has talent like Brereton, Buckley, Dolan, JRC, etc. Plus who we sign. I disagree that this is like the summer under Coyle has by now he had signed some players like Graham, Stokes, Hendrie. 

Yes we could do with a centre back and centre midfielder with experience but its appears that we cannot afford their wages currently. I wouldn't be surprise if we move for Tom Trybull who would give us experience. Do you have any suggestions of possible PL loan signings

Reach is a player that I believe you recommended earlier in the summer so I was surprised to see you suggest that he wouldn't have improved us the other day

I recommended him as a squad player and back up for Brereton and Pickering. But not sure he is better than we have got. 

Think @philihas explained it a number of times why Rovers are cutting the budget to meet FFP.  

I agree we need to replace Armstrong permanent whether its 2 or 3 million pounds of the fee on a replacement

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be surprise if we move for Tom Trybull who would give us experience.  

Why would we bring Trybull back? He was absolute garbage last season.

That said, we do have form for signing people after disastrous loan spells, Luke Varney, DJ Campbell and more recently in the case of Gallagher an indifferent one.

9 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Our managers have “given it a go” and been supposedly backed to get promoted, but without the necessary conviction to really “go for it”. By this I mean they have been given a bigger budget in terms of wages to attract players but they have been with the exception of BB, AA and SG freebies and loans. It merely made us more competitive not raised the bar sufficiently to be consistent and be in the top 6. 
we needed one or two real quality signings to make the difference especially as the two main big money signings BB and SG had been flops in terms of scoring. It has been half hearted, reserved “backing” of the managers and lacked real conviction. “Go for it” but with one arm tied behind their backs. 
The teams that have made the top 6 in the last few years, with the exception of Barnsley last year, have already had decent squads and added quality to get them success. They have speculated to accumulate. 
It is clearly a high risk gamble to do so with disastrous consequences if it fails, eg Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday. 
However, financing a more palatable (for Venkies) slow, organic progress whereby we take advantage of our superb academy and become year on year a better side would probably be sustainable. Unfortunately TM cocked up the one big chance we had last year of a top 6 finish. He stupidly thought that quoting that we were at the start of a journey would get him more time. WRONG. 
we desperately need a change of ceo and manager to get the best of what is a decent bunch of players. 
I’m hoping for a poor start, TM out and a new manager in to reinvigorate our team. Wishful thinking I know but you have got try to be positive. 

Not saying they would spend it anyway but we wouldn't have been able to go out and make massive signings with ffp regulations.

Like you other teams have spent considerably more but they have brought money into club by either selling players for profits and reinvesting part of the fee or have had parachute payments.

Those clubs are bringing more money in through sponsership or bigger crowds.

If the Venkys had given the same level of funding as they have done in the Mowbray era to say a Wilder or anyone competent we wouldnt be in the mess we are now 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Ayala might not have been bought for a fee but his signing on fee would have been significant probably more than what we paid for Pears and Kaminski.The loans wouldn't have been cheap either.

The deals for Johnson ,Holtby and Downing in previous seasons wouldn't have been free we would have been giving them signing on fees to bring their wages down.

I think our owners are useless, but it is the team on the ground, Mowbray and Waggott etc whose fault it is for the state of the squad.The owners obviously know nothing about football,they give a budget and let the people on the ground run it.It wasn't their decision to hand out multiple lucrative contracts to ageing and substandard players or spend multi million pound transfer fees on Brererton and Gallagher when the money should have been spent better.

And on the embargo they trust the people on the ground to keep us within the rules.We are a tiny part of their business empire,they probably don't think about us from one month to the next 

The people on the ground have got us into this mess the owners have been signing the cheques and agreeing to nearly everything Mowbray asked for .Owners too thick and pig ignorant to make a change when it's clear the people on the ground ain't up to the job .

I don't doubt that Mowbray is the protagonist for the squad being in the state that it is, which is a big reason why I want him out. I just think that it is only fair to acknowledge the difficulties that he has had to face this summer, that any manager would have found problematic. I feel like doing so makes me feel like I am defending Mowbray still being our manager, I certainly am not and still am very sure that he needs to be removed.

Venkys have been and always will be the root cause. They seem to have managed without trying to ensure throughout their reign really that there is always someone closer to home that can take the blame whilst they are seen as almost an innocent party (not by yourself specifically to clarify) pumping money in yet are being let down. I could not put it any better than your last sentence though.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Venkys aren't willing to keep funding the club at the current level plus we have to meet the FFP limit otherwise we face a proper full embargo next year. So this year is going to be tough one going forward. Yes we have young squad but we also have a squad that has talent like Brereton, Buckley, Dolan, JRC, etc. Plus who we sign. I disagree that this is like the summer under Coyle has by now he had signed some players like Graham, Stokes, Hendrie. 

Yes we could do with a centre back and centre midfielder with experience but its appears that we cannot afford their wages currently. I wouldn't be surprise if we move for Tom Trybull who would give us experience. Do you have any suggestions of possible PL loan signings

I recommended him as a squad player and back up for Brereton and Pickering. But not sure he is better than we have got. 

Think @philihas explained it a number of times why Rovers are cutting the budget to meet FFP.  

I agree we need to replace Armstrong permanent whether its 2 or 3 million pounds of the fee on a replacement

"Funding the club" is a bit disingenuous, our losses are self inflicted because of their incompetence and negligence, whereas funding the club implies that they are chucking in money out of a desire to be successful, which is blatantly untrue. We failed to initially meet FFP requirements, hence the embargo. We can all list huge lists of kids, but too many together will lead to poor results/inconsistency due to a lack of experience. I presume that we will be paying something (wages and/or a fee) for kids, if it came to it, I would have preferred 2 or 3 freebies with experience over 4 or 5 loanees without experience, although even if that was an option, the embargo would have damaged such a plan.

This is not the first time that this sort of summer has happened, it is at least the third under their reign, whereby funding is just totally stopped in a non constructive manner. The first time led to a massive backwards step and slide down the league with a couple of managers as collateral damage, the second time it ended in relegation and I fear that the third time will also end in relegation.

Trybull is dog shit, why loan a player, then sign him again after he has proven himself not to be good enough?

Mowbray said that the players we are waiting for are young kids who are playing in pre season whilst players who played internationally over the summer are on holiday. So they will be players with minimal first team experience, the opposite of what we need.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't doubt that Mowbray is the protagonist for the squad being in the state that it is, which is a big reason why I want him out. I just think that it is only fair to acknowledge the difficulties that he has had to face this summer, that any manager would have found problematic. I feel like doing so makes me feel like I am defending Mowbray still being our manager, I certainly am not and still am very sure that he needs to be removed.

Venkys have been and always will be the root cause. They seem to have managed without trying to ensure throughout their reign really that there is always someone closer to home that can take the blame whilst they are seen as almost an innocent party (not by yourself specifically to clarify) pumping money in yet are being let down. I could not put it any better than your last sentence though.

"Funding the club" is a bit disingenuous, our losses are self inflicted because of their incompetence and negligence, whereas funding the club implies that they are chucking in money out of a desire to be successful, which is blatantly untrue. We failed to initially meet FFP requirements, hence the embargo. We can all list huge lists of kids, but too many together will lead to poor results/inconsistency due to a lack of experience. I presume that we will be paying something (wages and/or a fee) for kids, if it came to it, I would have preferred 2 or 3 freebies with experience over 4 or 5 loanees without experience, although even if that was an option, the embargo would have damaged such a plan.

This is not the first time that this sort of summer has happened, it is at least the third under their reign, whereby funding is just totally stopped in a non constructive manner. The first time led to a massive backwards step and slide down the league with a couple of managers as collateral damage, the second time it ended in relegation and I fear that the third time will also end in relegation.

Trybull is dog shit, why loan a player, then sign him again after he has proven himself not to be good enough?

Mowbray said that the players we are waiting for are young kids who are playing in pre season whilst players who played internationally over the summer are on holiday. So they will be players with minimal first team experience, the opposite of what we need.

You are on a bit of a crusade here and I honestly don't know why you are having back and forths with so many people on the topic. We all know about Venkys and what kind of owners they are. Pointing out Mowbrays part in this isn't making excuses for them, but you seem to repeatedly take that from people's posts? 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why would we bring Trybull back? He was absolute garbage last season.

That said, we do have form for signing people after disastrous loan spells, Luke Varney, DJ Campbell and more recently in the case of Gallagher an indifferent one.

I can see Mowbray bringing him back. I wouldn't myself but with finances tight I can see Norwich given us a cheap lean for him. 

I thought Gallagher loan spell was a good one

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Rovers have always lost money as a club in the championship cos our wage bill has always been too high. I suggested you look back why the EFL stop us registration new players for a period of time. 

Who are these 2 or freebies with experience that are better than we have? Plus the wages of them. On the wages of these PL loans will be us only paying part of their wages like we did with Adarabioyo or Elliott or Trybull. Yes I agree it would be great for us to be able to sign a few low cost fee players but it appears that we cant due to FFP rules and the owners not willing to keep funding the club at the current level. 

Look at @Phillposts that have explained how tight we are with FFP rules this year and next year. Crooke has said that Rovers are struggling to FFP rules. These are facts Roversfan99. So we have to get on with it and do the best we can with the current squad plus a couple of PL loans hopefully players like Patrick Roberts. Plus a low cost signing replacement for Armstrong or getting a replacement as part of the Armstrong deal. 

Coyle did not have his budget cut but had a quite decent budget TBH but wasted it on rubbish signings like Hendrie, Greer, Brown, Feeney, Stokes.