BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The damage had been done 

If someone was doing your job for 11 months and you came in for the last month, would you find it fair to be reviewed on the entire year? 

I I had enough time in that last month to squeak the job over the line for that year, yes. Part of the reason I'm being brought in is to achieve that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

If the venkys refused the money for the Reach signing then why is Mowbray still here, do they now have no faith in him, ( i don't), What happened to Mowbrays integrity, you know when he keeps saying if they dont want me i'll go, he has no integrity just bare faced bull ----.

Exactly!

If you are not prepared to back the manager, you have to get rid...I am worried that TM is just a dead man walking, going through the motions, wanting others to take the decision -resulting in a pay off. We could go on like this until it's too late!

Venky's OUT!!!!

• Like 6

If it's true that Venkys actually wouldn't release money for Reach's wages (he was on a free) it would be safe to assume Mowbray has already used his budget and is going cap in hand to India. And if he has spent up then the only players we will see are kids for a quid from PL clubs. In truth nobody knows exactly what the situation is but everything points to the taps being turned off.

27 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Exactly!

If you are not prepared to back the manager, you have to get rid...I am worried that TM is just a dead man walking, going through the motions, wanting others to take the decision -resulting in a pay off. We could go on like this until it's too late!

Venky's OUT!!!!

This is 2015 all over again. Venkys got bored or lost faith after a couple of years of backing Bowyer and he was a dead man walking from that summer on. It was obvious. Not invited to India for his chat, rumours of him being sacked, no money to spend resulting in signings like Delfouneso and Koita. But it dragged on until November by which time we were entrenched in the bottom third and the season was gone.

Sadly I think there is a repeat ahead here, except rather than looking over our shoulders at the bottom 3 we are quickly going to be looking upwards at the safety spots. I also think Mowbray has his feet much further under the table than Bowyer ever did which is going to make his removal less likely and more likely that they just leave the carnage to unfold and the decision with Mowbray as to if he has the determination to hang on or throw in the towel.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is 2015 all over again. Venkys got bored or lost faith after a couple of years of backing Bowyer and he was a dead man walking from that summer on. It was obvious. Not invited to India for his chat, rumours of him being sacked, no money to spend resulting in signings like Delfouneso and Koita. But it dragged on until November by which time we were entrenched in the bottom third and the season was gone.

We were under an embargo when Koita and Delfouneso were brought in 

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

I want to know what Mercer knows.  Come on.

Rhodes is going to Bolton and Venkys are selling up in 2016

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

We were under an embargo when Koita and Delfouneso were brought in 

But we were still allowed to bring players in on 10k a week, I remember then Birmingham manager Gary Rowett was quite envious of that. Do we have the budget to go up to or over that now or is it even worse?

• Like 1

• Backroom

Barnsley have signed a young striker from France, hardly set the world on fire on his travels but it shows a level of imagination that we are lacking 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

But we were still allowed to bring players in on 10k a week, I remember then Birmingham manager Gary Rowett was quite envious of that. Do we have the budget to go up to or over that now or is it even worse?

Yeah we were allowed to bring in players on frees for a max 10k a week but not an  unlimited amount of players.Just making the point there was no need for Bowyer to go to India to discuss budgets when we couldn't spend .

We ain't under an embargo this time but if we don't want to enter one then cutbacks have to happen or we need good money being brought in by selling 

5 hours ago, Ossydave said:

There's literally 2 players on that list I'd like to have kept, Elliott and THB but obviously neither was an option anyway. I get your point though.

That may be true in that the likes of Holtby and Evans made little financial sense to retain due to their wages v reliability. The thing is though we are still weaker without them for 2 reasons, one is at least one of them would be starting on Saturday if they was still here with the other on the bench, they have left spaces in our squad that we havent replaced. They also (along with a couple of others who maybe had less chance of playing) have stripped the squad of most of its remaining experience, we only now have Johnson really who is injured and Ayala who seems unwilling to even play with slight discomfort.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree totally that signings like Pickering are the ones we should be doing. Not over spending on wages on 28/29 years old players. 

Plus @roversfan99has refuse to answer who would be playing left back this season if we hasn't signed Pickering. 

But we aren't increasing income at the club but its decreasing. I Know WHAT is part of FFP rules thanks. But you refuse to accept that our yearly wage bill is far too high for a club with our turnover. Can we keep paying the same wages for lower mid table finish?

I was basing my statements on the fact that we (according to the LT) were on course to fail FFP regulations this summer, something that would have been known about 6 months prior. 

Wages perhaps are too high/there is too much wastage, income has not been maximised, it all contributes. I am talking about the one off decision to make a reasonable outlay on a fee for a new player in January when our financial/sustainability situation was so perilous. I would ask if over 500k was a luxury that we simply couldnt afford, and if we perhaps needed to go for a freebie in the summer instead.

Even if the embargo had nothing to do with sustainability, I find it baffling that we can go from spending over half a million in January, to not being able to add a couple of freebies in the summer to give us some experience which we are lacking.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

You talk about 28-29 year old's as though they are ancient and on their last legs. Tugay was 31 when we signed him, McCarthy was 29, Savage was 30, Nelsen was approaching 28, Dunn was 28 when he resigned, Salgado was 33, Givet was approaching 29 and Ooijer was 32. I don't worry about their age I worry more about what they are going to bring to the team.

100%. I do understand and agree with the idea (although its not been done successfully by Venkys at all) of signing players for cheap, improving them, sell them at a profit, then replace and continue the cycle. But you can not fill a team with such players. Experienced players are critical for guidance and know how and we've jettisoned most of ours and dont seem like we have any intention of replacing any of it. When we hit bad form this season, I don't see who will provide the experience to help to drag us back out of it.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

So he's getting paid more being assistant manager at a fourth division club than he is managing our u23s in a Category A academy 

This offers an insight into salary levels around the place and also adds further confusion as to where this £20 million a year actually goes.

Yes - £75kpa

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The rapidly changing world we are in when our u23 boss is jacking it in to go and be assistant manager at Salford City because they are paying more or are seen as a more exciting/attractive place to be.

If he has senior managerial aspirations, being the assistant manager at a League Two side is a significant step up from being the U23 manager of an Academy. 

There's no conspiracy theory here. 

• Like 7

Although he was a player rather than backroom staff Ben Marshall is a good example of this type of thing.

Some assumption at the time was he wanted big money and was being offered better elsewhere after his head being turned. Rumours from the club did little to convince anyone any different.

Yet years later having left the old boys network and not giving a stuff anymore he tells his version. Rovers offered him the same money, good money to stay but he'd seen the writing was on the wall. They were selling everyone, manager was a nice guy but useless and club was only going one way.

Doesn't paint his loyalty in a great light but at least he was honest. Some leave for better offers but others jump a sinking ship because they know what's coming.  It really isn't always about money and ambition if someone is quite happy where they are until an ill wind starts blowing through the place.

The rot behind the scenes at Ewood has clearly set in yet again.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Damien Johnson moved up to the first team after an excellent spell as the under 23's and we have rarely heard of him since. Very rarely do we see him on match days and it's been reported he spends most of his time in the video room at Brockhall. Perhaps Barr saw this and knew he couldn't progress at Rovers as a coach and jumped ship.

One theory I saw was that Mowbray saw Johnson as a threat whilst he was doing well with the under 23's and took him with the seniors to suppress this. Personally I'm not sure but something seems odd.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Damien Johnson moved up to the first team after an excellent spell as the under 23's and we have rarely heard of him since. Very rarely do we see him on match days and it's been reported he spends most of his time in the video room at Brockhall. Perhaps Barr saw this and knew he couldn't progress at Rovers as a coach and jumped ship.

One theory I saw was that Mowbray saw Johnson as a threat whilst he was doing well with the under 23's and took him with the seniors to suppress this. Personally I'm not sure but something seems odd.

They did seem to create a post out of the blue for Johnson.  Hard to know if it was an effort to integrate him into the first team set up and help the pathway from U23s for players.

Or just to take him out of the limelight whilst pacifying him with a fancy role then shove him under the stairs. Surely the role he does now doesn't carry a bigger wage than being U23's boss.

• Like 1