BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Resign, no? I wouldn't have made an outlandish claim that I was an honest man and I'd walk away if I felt I couldn't take the club any further.

I'd bury in like a tick and expect my full severance package.

He shouldn't have said that, but as you say, he is right to dig in. It's the owners or Waggot that need to sort the issue. 

The more stuff that comes out, the more I reckon they just don't want to spend the money sacking him and getting someone new in. 

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

WBA confirm the signing of Reach.

Our one and only transfer rumour is now officially over.

I guess we look forward to loaning a load of kids from prem clubs.

We have enough kids. Hopefully he gets some experienced players on loan. Surely there are some out there? 

We clearly have a budget for out of contract players. Why aren't we using it? The fact we didn't have a head of recruitment for 5 months surely comes into this, even though @chaddyrovers said it didn't matter. 

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

What players was Bowyer allowed to sign? 4 cheap free agents and a loan? Guthrie, Akpan, Delfouneso, Koita and Lawrence wasn't it?

If that's Venky's backing the manager after selling Gestede and Cairney for £10 million then that's not good enough, but probably a clue as to the level of backing Mowbray might get in the event Armstrong is sold.

We signed Lawrence and Barrow on loan with Guthrie, Akpan, Delfouneso, Keita, Pethsi perm

Mowbray has been financially backed for 3 seasons straight in terms of over 20 million pounds plus huge wages on loans and free transfers

21 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I think Mowbray sanctioning Ayala has put paid to any ability he has to dictate ex boro boy transfers

He should have paid with his job for sanctioning that transfer

23 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Well at least you'd get enthusiasm. No sleeping on the bench

Definably no sleeping but plenty of shouting, passion and enthusiasm from me if I was on the touchline. We need a manager with the same characterises as that 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Keeping him was actually a great call, because someone else might not have gotten us out of League 1. Bigger clubs with better squads got stuck down there longer. Thats the reality. 

The reality is that some other manager might just have got us out of League 1 and with momentum and confidence taken us straight to the PL just as Wilder did with Sheff U..

Keeping Mowbray was a shyte call.  He failed to keep us up and IMO, we've made little progress from where we were when Coyle left.  We are in one feckin mess and, IMO, that is all down to Mowbray - now that is reality.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

The reality is that some other manager might just have got us out of League 1 and with momentum and confidence taken us straight to the PL just as Wilder did with Sheff U..

Keeping Mowbray was a shyte call.  He failed to keep us up and IMO, we've made little progress from where we were when Coyle less.  We are in one feckin mess and, IMO, that is all down to Mowbray - now that is reality.

Easy to say that now. Were you saying he should be sacked at the time? Doubt it. More likely tipping us to win every game 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Easy to say that now. Were you saying he should be sacked at the time? Doubt it. More likely tipping us to win every game 

Never been a Mowbray fan since the day he joined even when he took us up in second place to the mighty Wigan - I think you will find my posting has always said that!  Even Chaddy would have got us promoted with the facilities we had and the biggest budget in League 1 by a country mile.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Keeping Mowbray was a shyte call.  He failed to keep us up and IMO, we've made little progress from where we were when Coyle less.  We are in one feckin mess and, IMO, that is all down to Mowbray - now that is reality.

I try not to get entangled in your baiting but to lay the blame of all of the clubs mess at Mowbrays door is lazy

He’s is a symptom and not the illness

The fact that average managers like Mowbray are allowed to run, without accountability, bills of up to £20m is down to a lack of board level scrutiny 

That board is determined by one group of people only - Venkys 

Mowbray was allowed to recommend a mate to sign up as CEO but it was the owners who ultimately hired him. And it is the owners who continue to employ him 

It is the owners who stuck by Mowbray through his latest bad spell 

And it is the owners who have seen us in two embargo’s in 10 years, 2 relegations and a decimation of professional structure 

This mess we are in is not solely down to Mowbray but a continuing decline of professionalism overseen by a group of people who have no interest in change.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have enough kids. Hopefully he gets some experienced players on loan. Surely there are some out there? 

We clearly have a budget for out of contract players. Why aren't we using it? The fact we didn't have a head of recruitment for 5 months surely comes into this, even though @chaddyrovers said it didn't matter. 

I don't want us to sign a load of kids on loan but that's basically what he's said he will be doing.

We really need some experienced players for the squad though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

But you are talking about a very time and era for the club compare to this one including 2 top managers who bought us success and good football in Mark Hughes and Graeme Souness. Its a period of time I won't forget espically the UEFA Cup run under Hughes or the League Cup under Souness. 

But now is very different time for the club under these owners and this CEO and manager. 

I don't mind signing 2 players at the age 28 but not on overpriced wages like we did with Best, Etuhu and Murpht

Total b0ll0cks.  When we were close to the bottom of old Division 3, Ken Furphy bought John McNamee who was about 31 and he turned out to be an inspirational signing.  There have been manu otherds as well.

Very good question asked and one we will never know. Are Venkys looking to sell the club or waiting for replacement to be ready to take over

Maybe he would have been a target for us if we had sold Armstrong already 

I would say this is very different situation to the Bowyer one in 2015 as Bowyer was allow to sign players after selling Gestede. But it appears Mowbray can't even sign a free transfer in Reach or PL loan player at the minute. Seems nothing will happen until Armstrong is sold. 

I doubt we will see a penny of the Armstrong money when sold.

Consider this - 12 months to June 2020 we lost £22million.  Since then, there has been no gate money and commercial income will have fallen off a cliff.  If our losses for 12 months to June 2021 are not £30million then I'd be amazed.

I posted the other day I thought there was an 80% chance we'd be in administration before Christmas - I'll stick with that.

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Interesting that in this thread there are comments about potential buyers around march/april, venkys were looking at additional income streams last November time and interested parties that came to nothing, it shows there is life after venkys. 

Not as we know it 'Jim' !

abit rich coming from the Owen Coyle number 1 fan. How the Alex Neil rumour doing? 

If Mowbray walks before end of August, I'd put every penny you have on Neil taking over!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Never been a Mowbray fan since the day he joined even when he took us up in second place to the mighty Wigan - I think you will find my posting has always said that!  Even Chaddy would have got us promoted with the facilities we had and the biggest budget in League 1 by a country mile.

You were saying Mowbrays rovers were a licence to print money if I recall 😂

If it was that simple, no big clubs with better squads , budget's and facilities would ever stay down there. There are numerous examples where that was the case. Just look at the teams there now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I don't want us to sign a load of kids on loan but that's basically what he's said he will be doing.

We really need some experienced players for the squad though.

I know you didn't say that ,I'm just saying I hope Mowbray sees the need for experience,even on loan. We have enough kids 

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Tell that to Sunderland

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Total b0ll0cks. 

Abit like your Alex Neil 7 months long linking to the Rovers which still he hasn't got appointed. Look like you and your family member were WRONG. 

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I posted the other day I thought there was an 80% chance we'd be in administration before Christmas - I'll stick with that.

Another one of regular posts that never comes true. Similar to Rhodes to Bolton story or your mate Wee Dougie signing him. Or Rovers reaching a tipping point as you mention so many times I lost count. Maybe you should apply for the Ben Sheppard show since you are such a fan of tipping points. 

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If Mowbray walks before end of August, I'd put every penny you have on Neil taking over!

Another Alex Neil story from you but yet again as you do you move the goal posts as always. Thought he would be appointed by now. What happened to that one? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Definably no sleeping but plenty of shouting, passion and enthusiasm from me if I was on the touchline. We need a manager with the same characterises as that 

Exactly what I meant. Not that passion is everything but all good managers know when to show it, how to enthuse their players and how to celebrate without getting too carried away

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

QPRs business. Well for some. 

If Armstrong left and we got those 9 in ,along with Ainsworth, I would fancy us for promotion. 

Screenshot_20210802-141634_Instagram.jpg

I agree, that is solid business from QPR. They've managed to get two midfielders in that we were linked with in Dozzell and Johansen. Austin is quality at this level. I rate Odubajo too, I've wanted him at Rovers since his Hull days. I think they are going to be a dark horse this season. They've already battered United in pre season and had a 3-3 draw with Leicester. Start as you mean to go on.

We're going to have to wait until this lot sell up before genuine optimism returns, I feel.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Tell that to Sunderland

Sunderland have got themselves new owners though. As daft as it might sound I'd have shook hands on staying in League One for 3-4 years if it meant getting rid of Venkys and getting a different billionaire in the place like Sunderland have. Again it might sound daft but I'd sooner be in Sunderland's position now than ours - like Bolton they are emerging from the ashes, we are yet to go into it and even if we do will Venkys let go?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Another one of regular posts that never comes true. Similar to Rhodes to Bolton story or your mate Wee Dougie signing him. Or Rovers reaching a tipping point as you mention so many times I lost count. Maybe you should apply for the Ben Sheppard show since you are such a fan of tipping points. 

🔥 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Sunderland have got themselves new owners though. As daft as it might sound I'd have shook hands on staying in League One for 3-4 years if it meant getting rid of Venkys and getting a different billionaire in the place like Sunderland have. Again it might sound daft but I'd sooner be in Sunderland's position now than ours - like Bolton they are emerging from the ashes, we are yet to go into it and even if we do will Venkys let go?

Sunderland have had billionaire owners in Ellis Short and Stuart Donald over the years and they achieved naff all. So they have another owner, who’s to say it won’t be the same old same old ?

Sometimes believe it or not it’s better the devil you know. One thing I do envy Sunderland about is their fanatical support ,through thick and thin and being kicked in the nuts so many times they still turn up home and away. I wish some Rovers supporters had a fraction of their passion 

We are going to end up back in league 1 with these lot anyway sooner or later it's an absolute given.

The people managing and running the club are of that standard it's only decent backing and strong squads that have kept us where we are for a few years. Take that away and you are relying on their ability to steer the ship through deep waters.

That's where the icebergs lurk.

Again, I dont have sympathy with Mowbray because at the end of the day, he is already a year into continued paid employment at a big Championship club that he does not warrant and wouldnt have under owners who cared. But Tony Mowbray is perhaps a great example of how managers tend to have a shelf life and if you are kept on too long beyond that shelf life, things get sour to the point where things get exaggerated out of control and you go from leaving with your head held high to being seen as a villain. He is at the point now where he is blamed for things out of his control and made out to be far worse than what he has actually been, understandably as we are all frustrated with how stagnant and hopeless it seems.

@Mercer suggesting that the relegation was indefensible is beyond hyperbolic, typical to someone on the wind up, hence the comments about Coyle being better and boasting about having a journalists phone number. If Mowbray had left last summer, I think he would have been deemed to have done a good overall job here, nothing remarkable, but any return (not as our manager) would be warmly received.

His first task was to keep us up, and I have always said that there is no use in extrapolating results (same as people doing so with the 2 in 17 stat from last season) and that he did fail that season, it was a very difficult task with a shoddy squad already in the relegation zone, he came close but not close enough. Then what followed was good (not perfect, I found the attitude from him before that Charlton game very aggravating) in getting us promoted comfortably at the first attempt, and very much stabilising us as a Championship mid table side. It became evident a while back that he had taken us as far as he could and had no idea how to push us on further, confused tactical ideas, recruitment wastage etc, no more signs of progression.

As a side note, I have been surprised by the reaction in the ground v Leeds and also what I heard on the stream watching the Leeds game, various songs specifically in support of Tony Mowbray.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't mind signing 2 players at the age 28 but not on overpriced wages like we did with Best, Etuhu and Murpht

What sort of logic is that? Obviously we dont want to sign overpriced players of any age, you can also point to overpriced younger players (Kevin Davies, Ashley Ward, Ben Brereton, Sam Gallagher) or indeed shrewd older ones (Downing, Friedel, Nelsen, Berg, Graham) so there is little pattern. The squad is crying out for experience, when we hit a tough run I really do worry.

I feel like you are being purposely obtuse about my Pickering comments. My point is that I don't understand how we can go from signing players for above 500k to not being able to sign a couple of freebies within 6 months, how the landscape can change so much. If the embargo was sustainability related as per the LT, then it makes it even more perplexing, although it makes no sense either way.

Also those players you listed that Bowyer signed were under another transfer embargo, hence why he could only afford to bring in absolute shite to replace all of our best players leaving.

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well if Blackburn had a population of 280 thousand then there probably would be more similarities.

WTF do you think people have been doing over the last decade whilst for all but a season or two of it the club has been a joke ?   It's the passionate ones who care enough to let their emotions out in regards to the ownership/management etc.

By and large it's the docile who just sit there and let shit happen and don't voice their concerns one way or another.

Sheep.

Passionate support isn’t based on the population of the town, it’s down to the fans that turn up, be it 40.000 or 4000. 
4000 can make more noise than 40,000.