Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

He won't though because the scaled back model takes all the heat off him. It'll suit him down to the ground just think of the new set of excuses set to be trotted out. He already started the ball rolling the other week with his comments.  So much for having faith in his players.

Him and Waggot have created their own comfort zone here there's never been an ounce of ambition in either. 

Can you imagine the reaction on Dragon's Den had they both gone in with that pitch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Trouble is, Mowbray isn't Howard Kendall.

In fact that might just be the understatement of all time. 

He isn't even Don Mackay.

He isn't even Jim Illey.

Edited by rigger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Can you imagine the reaction on Dragon's Den had they both gone in with that pitch?

The last thing we want is boom and bust i recall him saying......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Why is every transfer rumour and or signing we make nowadays associated in some way to Middlesbrough ? Oh wait, because Tony's knowledge is purely fixed in the North East

It would be really interesting to review how many signings he has made with a Boro connection - out of all the signings he has made.

Obvious ones are Pears, Ayala, Chapman and Downing - help me out as there must be more in his 4 years to justify the fixation claims.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Why is every transfer rumour and or signing we make nowadays associated in some way to Middlesbrough ? Oh wait, because Tony's knowledge is purely fixed in the North East

It's one of those automated pre screening questions. Like when you apply online for a job and it asks if you have a C on GCSE maths and if you answer no its an automatic rejection. Instead it's "Are you connected in any way to middlesbrough" no "sorry try another club" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

What is for certain, is that squad is way too thing, certainly in defence.

One thing that does stand out is that 15 out of the 20 players in the squad are English - that must be fairly unusual these days.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112624.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112652.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112736.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112748.jpg

And two of the 5 (4? BB is pushing it) non-English players came through our academy. 

Can’t be another squad in the top two (maybe top three even?) divisions that contains only two players that are either non English or not home grown?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say spending sums of 5m and 6m on single signings is a sign of ambition, how they panned out is another matter. So is keeping the vast majority of your best players - Dack in particular when he was wanted - again how that turns out next summer could be another matter. 

This isn't a case of being an apologist for TM, but I don't believe he has purposely sought to build a squad to sit in mid table or to get relegated again. He changed our style in the hope of winning more games, yes it didn't work. But he didn't do it on the wanting to finish 15th. 

Failure to do better in the league, particularly last season, is rightly damned. But where did the expectation for that come from? - the early results running riot, the signings which people were excited about. TM was part of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It would be really interesting to review how many signings he has made with a Boro connection - out of all the signings he has made.

Obvious ones are Pears, Ayala, Chapman and Downing - help me out as there must be more in his 4 years to justify the fixation claims.

I think that stems from the way it seems to be gathering pace in recent years.

In terms of being linked it could just be the usual lazy journalism knowing it gets a bit of attention because it 'might' be plausible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, alex l said:

I would say spending sums of 5m and 6m on single signings is a sign of ambition, how they panned out is another matter. So is keeping the vast majority of your best players - Dack in particular when he was wanted - again how that turns out next summer could be another matter. 

This isn't a case of being an apologist for TM, but I don't believe he has purposely sought to build a squad to sit in mid table or to get relegated again. He changed our style in the hope of winning more games, yes it didn't work. But he didn't do it on the wanting to finish 15th. 

Failure to do better in the league, particularly last season, is rightly damned. But where did the expectation for that come from? - the early results running riot, the signings which people were excited about. TM was part of that.

This is true. I think it was the inability and stubbornness to adapt last season that turned the last remaining few. Along with the failure to accept his share of the responsibility and the ratty attitude to being questioned about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

What is for certain, is that squad is way too thing, certainly in defence.

One thing that does stand out is that 15 out of the 20 players in the squad are English - that must be fairly unusual these days.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112624.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112652.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112736.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 112748.jpg

Indeed and Brereton pretty much is. Nyambe and Lenihan have been in England since 15 or 16. It's really only Kaminski that's a proper foreigner. 

It is rare. I'm not judging it as a positive or a negative, although the teams that went up last season had 4-5 foreigners in their starting 11s, many of whom excelled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It would be really interesting to review how many signings he has made with a Boro connection - out of all the signings he has made.

Obvious ones are Pears, Ayala, Chapman and Downing - help me out as there must be more in his 4 years to justify the fixation claims.

Leutwiler and Smallwood

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, alex l said:

I would say spending sums of 5m and 6m on single signings is a sign of ambition, how they panned out is another matter. So is keeping the vast majority of your best players - Dack in particular when he was wanted - again how that turns out next summer could be another matter. 

This isn't a case of being an apologist for TM, but I don't believe he has purposely sought to build a squad to sit in mid table or to get relegated again. He changed our style in the hope of winning more games, yes it didn't work. But he didn't do it on the wanting to finish 15th. 

Failure to do better in the league, particularly last season, is rightly damned. But where did the expectation for that come from? - the early results running riot, the signings which people were excited about. TM was part of that.

Both of those signings were talked up as young investment signings which is what he was advising the owners.  According to him anyway, all his top 6 talk and don't want to sit in the middle of the division talk tended to come in summer when STs were on sale.

By October the goal posts were being moved, not just last season but season before that. By end of season they've been moved to the other end of the pitch and he's a development coach. All about stability and individuals etc.

A manager set single mindedly on the top 6 doesn't make those kind of signings when his team is screaming out for something else. It very much more fits the slow build 'investment' mould hoping they come good in time and are worth a few more quid.

Aside from introducing our own youth most of the other stuff along the way has just been gap filling. Not building just keeping a squad big and strong enough to keep our heads above water.

If last season was supposed to be the big push in the final year of FFP - and a few believe it was.  Then he's blown it in the usual mundane fashion.  Covid didn't help but it was probably the difference between 15th and 11th in the end.

All most fans wanted to see was us having a real go and see where we landed. That has never ever happened in the last 3 seasons despite his talk.

 

Edited by tomphil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its just 72 hours or so until the season kicks off in earnest and yet the forward planning is absolutely non existent, the lack of urgency isn't there, the fervent build up to the new season is nowhere to be seen which really is a sorry state of affairs as we come out of the covid induced absence from our team stadium, the lack of communication with the clubs support is astoundingly poor and the serious lack of commercialism is a shocking indictment on the leadership of the club.

Mowbray is trying his best to fool us and continues to treat us all like buffoons.

Waggot is an utter incompetent in the manner he disdainfully treats the fans of our club.

 

There is a very clear and apparent lack of respect on the fans, the clubs history and what it means and stands for, the legacy of Jack Walker has been trampled on and yet these idiots thinks its okay and that everything is ship shape and Bristol fashion.

The urgency now requires the fan base to come together as one and get the message across from the stands. Keyboard warriors are no good we need loud and verbal views to intensify the removal of these incompetent idiots and to ram this message across to India because we all know they will be watching. yes, they may choose to ignore us but at least they will be able to gauge the rancid atmosphere and it might just decide to take action.

 

Edited by 1864roverite
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Asked my Aberdeen season ticket holder brother about Hedges and he basically just described Harry Chapman…….yay.

Chapman needs his bush clipped though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Its just 72 hours or so until the season kicks off in earnest and yet the forward planning is absolutely non existent, the lack of urgency isn't there, the fervent build up to the new season is nowhere to be seen which really is a sorry state of affairs as we come out of the covid induced absence from our team stadium, the lack of communication with the clubs support is astoundingly poor and the serious lack of commercialism is a shocking indictment on the leadership of the club.

Mowbray is trying his best to fool us and continues to treat us all like buffoons.

Waggot is an utter incompetent in the manner he disdainfully treats the fans of our club.

 

There is a very clear and apparent lack of respect on the fans, the clubs history and what it means and stands for, the legacy of Jack Walker has been trampled on and yet these idiots thinks its okay and that everything is ship shape and Bristol fashion.

The urgency now requires the fan base to come together as one and get the message across from the stands. Keyboard warriors are no good we need loud and verbal views to intensify the removal of these incompetent idiots and to ram this message across to India because we all know they will be watching. yes, they may choose to ignore us but at least they will be able to gauge the rancid atmosphere and it might just decide to take action.

 

Totally agree with the sentiment, however we’ve got to a stage where the owners and manager are the most popular they have ever been this past decade - so considering we could never get mass protests in 2011 or 2016 (when Venky’s and Kean/Coyle were actually unpopular) going, then we’ve no chance now.

Going to be death by a thousand cuts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CambridgeRover said:

Why is every transfer rumour and or signing we make nowadays associated in some way to Middlesbrough ? Oh wait, because Tony's knowledge is purely fixed in the North East

Plus our go to agency for players HSH (run by Craig Honeyman a former SEM guy) is based near Middlesbrough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

It would be really interesting to review how many signings he has made with a Boro connection - out of all the signings he has made.

Obvious ones are Pears, Ayala, Chapman and Downing - help me out as there must be more in his 4 years to justify the fixation claims.

Pears, Ayala and Downing is three in one season, how many more do you want?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.