BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

I wouldn’t want a young player from a Premiership club that’s unproven at this level. If I’m buying I’m looking for someone who has a minimum 30 professional league appearances and has scored goals. Not bothered too much which league - I’d take League 1 no problems - but for me we can’t afford to gamble on a Idah or Obafemi. If it does have to be one of them, I want a loan with a option to buy. 

Idah will be perfect for TM, a young player that he can ‘polish’ up and then sell on in the future. I agree we should be looking for a more proven player to replace Arma moving forward. 

1 minute ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Idah will be perfect for TM, a young player that he can ‘polish’ up and then sell on in the future. I agree we should be looking for a more proven player to replace Arma moving forward. 

I’m sure TM is busy putting together a PowerPoint explaining how by buying Arma for 3m and selling him for 18m he’s solely responsible for getting Rovers out of this financial situation… although I bet he’s omitting the fact that he got us here. 

• Like 6

Anywhere between 12-15m plus A striker on loan with wages paid is a good deal at this stage ,Rovers are Screwed without a cash injection Armstrong will not be the same player last season to this and we need this circus to end 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree that a loan of either would be a bad deal 

You keep saying unproven, but both have played in the Premier league and internationally. We ain't signing better with a fee would be my take. Do you think if we got say 15 million ,we would sign someone better? 

From what Mowbray said last week, it seems that a permanent replacement isn't even guaranteed.

Idah is a similar one to Obafemi, he may prove to be a worthwhile calculated gamble in the absence of us being able to attract, find or indeed afford anyone more proven. I saw him a couple of times for Norwich last season and he looked fairly bright but he has 3 league goals ever, so it is a huge risk.

His appearances for Ireland are not something to overly focus on really, I am not meaning to be snide but looking at the latest squad that was named, the strikers were Parrott who is again on loan in League 1 and has 2 senior goals ever, Ogbene who is not a regular at Rotherham and James Collins who is going to likely be back up to Moore at Cardiff, the standard is particularly low. I know that there were absent but even players like Maguire and Burke I have seen at Preston (the latter has left) and arent decent Championship players and Long is long since past it. He has yet to score internationally.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Idah has looked great and especially this pre-season. He’s a quality player and if we did manage to bring him in it would be impressive business.

Pre-season form is meaningless, that shouldn't affect our decisions, games whereby the result is fairly meaningless.

• Like 1

One of the reasons Armstrong worked was because he already had experience and scoring pedigree at a young age. 

He's a workman like striker and no doubt they have put a lot of work into him but mainly it's down to him putting in the graft. As a signing though it wasn't a massive gamble so the lesson is there. 

They need to replace him in similar fashion.

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Idah would be good signing for us and would give us pace and knows where the goals are. 

Yes he is young but is international player for Ireland 

You were adamant a couple of hours ago that the Venkys weren't letting Mowbray bring any players in 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Probably cos he's virtually our only source of goals? Of course he needs to be replaced.

The defence is a serious problem too, but we can't fail to replace someone who just notched 29 goals. The defence wasn't as bad last season with Kaminski behind it, and if Wharton comes back in similar form that will improve it from the majority of last season. We also signed Pickering, we will see how that turns out.

Obviously if the club had done and continued to do good business, we could be strengthening both areas from the Armstrong fee. Instead we will get less than we should and give a huge chunk of it straight to Newcastle, at a time where gate receipts are down due to SW's incompetence. But not replacing Armstrong at all simply shouldn't be an option.

I don’t think he does need replacing bluebruce, we go with what we’ve got.

The defence is where we need to strengthen, if a decent manager walked in the door tomorrow he’d be after defenders, that’s where you start and manager after manager has failed to fill those gaps.

Big Ben and/or Gallagher play upfront for me, we strengthen from back to front.

28 goals last season and we finished nowhere, that tells it’s own story.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

From what Mowbray said last week, it seems that a permanent replacement isn't even guaranteed.

Idah is a similar one to Obafemi, he may prove to be a worthwhile calculated gamble in the absence of us being able to attract, find or indeed afford anyone more proven. I saw him a couple of times for Norwich last season and he looked fairly bright but he has 3 league goals ever, so it is a huge risk.

His appearances for Ireland are not something to overly focus on really, I am not meaning to be snide but looking at the latest squad that was named, the strikers were Parrott who is again on loan in League 1 and has 2 senior goals ever, Ogbene who is not a regular at Rotherham and James Collins who is going to likely be back up to Moore at Cardiff, the standard is particularly low. I know that there were absent but even players like Maguire and Burke I have seen at Preston (the latter has left) and arent decent Championship players and Long is long since past it. He has yet to score internationally.

Pre-season form is meaningless, that shouldn't affect our decisions, games whereby the result is fairly meaningless.

Ah no, I agree the options are awful at the minute. We lost to Luxemburg recently. Tis dark days. 

Idah has 4 goals in 5 games in Pre-season 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

I don’t think he does need replacing bluebruce, we go with what we’ve got.

The defence is where we need to strengthen, if a decent manager walked in the door tomorrow he’d be after defenders, that’s where you start and manager after manager has failed to fill those gaps.

Big Ben and/or Gallagher play upfront for me, we strengthen from back to front.

28 goals last season and we finished nowhere, that tells it’s own story.

id`e say a manager who was normal would panic at the state of the midfield and make it his first priority,relying on johnson,davenport,buckley,rothwell and a 50% fit travis in the middle of the park is not a good prospect,the more basic teams in the division,who we need to beat to stay up will brush us aside,we need help from a higher source this season🙏

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Why would he go to Norwich? They'll more than likely end up back in the championship.  Plus he'll likely get very little service.  Surely he would aim for higher 

Especially since they have already sold Buendia to Villa and Cantwell being linked with a move to Villa their two most creative players.

If we get a deal worth 18 million for a player with only a year left on his contract then it's a good deal I think.

Ings had only 1 year left in his contract and moved for £25 million according to sky sports and he is a proven premier league player where Armstrong is not and is why I thought waiting for 20 million + bids for Armstrong was pie in the sky

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Place your bets on Armstrong’s injury to keep him out at weekend; I’m going for a slight groin strain 

be interesting to see who tony plays up front if/when armstrong departs,will his wide striker experiment continue or will he do something radical like play his centre forwards where they are supposed to play

23 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Why would he go to Norwich? They'll more than likely end up back in the championship.  Plus he'll likely get very little service.  Surely he would aim for higher 

Go to Norwich or wait 12 months and get to pick the team you join with a big signing on fee because youre a free transfer,i know which i'd choose if i was him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think/fear that it will be Brereton left, Gallagher right, Dolan central.

what i fear as well,should`nt be putting a raw,young lad up front on his own,it will no doubt end up not working,dolans confidence will be shredded and to top it all,mowbray will start criticising him in the press

7 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Go to Norwich or wait 12 months and get to pick the team you join with a big signing on fee because youre a free transfer,i know which i'd choose if i was him.

Or start playing PL football now and not wait a year for injury to strike, form to dip or clubs to lose interest…

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

One of the reasons Armstrong worked was because he already had experience and scoring pedigree at a young age. 

He's a workman like striker and no doubt they have put a lot of work into him but mainly it's down to him putting in the graft. As a signing though it wasn't a massive gamble so the lesson is there. 

They need to replace him in similar fashion.

Bit revisionist. His scoring pedigree was in League 2 and his loan at then Championship Bolton had been a bust. Personally I thought Mowbray was nuts when he talked about 5’6” AA who never scored inside the box being our future centre forward.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bit revisionist. His scoring pedigree was in League 2 and his loan at then Championship Bolton had been a bust. Personally I thought Mowbray was nuts when he talked about 5’6” AA who never scored inside the box being our future centre forward.

His goalscoring pedigree was at Coventry in League 1 wasnt it? And he struggled at Bolton as a winger.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you omit his FA CUP hat trick against Preston? 

Also how many proper appreances has he had at Norwich like starting games to get those 3 goals? Or were they just 10 minutes appreances at winning situations? 

Do you have suggestions who to replace Armstrong with?

5 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Or start playing PL football now and not wait a year for injury to strike, form to dip or clubs to lose interest…

Depends if he believes in himself or not,that's a lot of ifs that might happen you suggest if he stays.If he's half the player he thinks he is he'll run his contract down and pick his team.