Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 13/04/2021 at 10:36, roversfan99 said:

Have you seen many full games in which he has played out of interest or is this based solely on data and highlight reels?

I've watched a few hours worth of his game clips on Wyscout. Both positive and negative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I'm at a point where I just can't get excited about new signings as long as Mowbray is in charge. Even if the signee appears impressive I already know his impact will be neutered by Mowbray's

Hi all. Would like to thank anyone and everyone who has given my work a read over the last few days. As you can probably tell it took a very long time to do and a lot of late nights around my full tim

Fast forwards 12 months.... 'We lost the quality of Holtby and the goals of Armstrong last summer along with the regular right back and the experience of Johnson.  It's a sad day for the club but

Posted Images

Whilst I know @chaddyrovers is jibing for fun, it's quite hilarious to read comments questioning Pickering's ability after Crewe lose 6-0 and then to read "Nowt to do with Rovers" after Crewe keep a clean sheet! I think that shows a little bit of bias towards "he's not good" in this conversation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of debate on Pickering, but as I said, I think he'll be better than anything we've had at left-back for some time, and certainly better than Bell and Douglas. I'm happy to eat my hat and say I'm wrong if by the end of the season he's not genuinely out performed those two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Whilst I know @chaddyrovers is jibing for fun, it's quite hilarious to read comments questioning Pickering's ability after Crewe lose 6-0 and then to read "Nowt to do with Rovers" after Crewe keep a clean sheet! I think that shows a little bit of bias towards "he's not good" in this conversation.

More in jest back at Chaddy saying we couldn't have anything to do with it and wait till he comes here......we will turn him into a shit defender don't worry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

A lot of debate on Pickering, but as I said, I think he'll be better than anything we've had at left-back for some time, and certainly better than Bell and Douglas. I'm happy to eat my hat and say I'm wrong if by the end of the season he's not genuinely out performed those two.

We were all getting right excited when the coup that was the signing of Douglas was announced,  I say lets not predict too much because we can ruin anyone with this set of shites in charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Whilst I know @chaddyrovers is jibing for fun, it's quite hilarious to read comments questioning Pickering's ability after Crewe lose 6-0 and then to read "Nowt to do with Rovers" after Crewe keep a clean sheet! I think that shows a little bit of bias towards "he's not good" in this conversation.

What utter rubbish. For a start, Sparks' comment was clearly tongue in cheek. I merely questioned whether Crewes poor goals against tally in League 1 is a potential worry ahead of him making the step up to the Championship. I personally did so very much from a neutral stand point, I have absolutely no opinion on the player because I havent seen him play. I didnt in any way put any blame on Pickering nor has anyone, its a very valid question. 

My main 2 questions are based on anyone making the vast step up from League 1, a perfect example would be with Hayden Carter, he was so out of his depth last season when he played yet he seems to have done everything possible to impress in League 1 and has had as good a loan spell as you could wish to have, but id still be skeptical that he could replicate that form at Championship level. Its a big gap, League 1 as we all know is a very poor standard. Secondly, the majority of the data was showing of how good he is going forward.

Also, watching a players clips is still not the same as watching him in full. I would suggest that you more than anyone has a firm opinion on the player yet none of us have watched the player fully to be in a really good position to predict with much accuracy either way. Being our best left back in a while is not an honour. Lets hope your optimism is justified and he comes in next season and impresses, Crewe fans from what I have read seem to rate him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I merely questioned whether Crewes poor goals against tally in League 1 is a potential worry ahead of him making the step up to the Championship. 

You could have watched highlights of their games this season to see how they conceded their goals. You didnt watch any highlights from the weekend where Pickering was at fault for maybe 1 goal out of 6 and that was not closing the cross down or defending better by Blocking it. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, watching a players clips is still not the same as watching him in full. 

But it's still more than you have done Roversfan99 eventhough it's more than you have done. 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A perfect example would be with Hayden Carter, he was so out of his depth last season when he played yet he seems to have done everything possible to impress in League 1 and has had as good a loan spell as you could wish to have, but id still be skeptical that he could replicate that form at Championship level. Its a big gap, League 1 as we all know is a very poor standard. Secondly, the majority of the data was showing of how good he is going forward.

Carter has performed really well there and should be part of our squad next season going forward 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But it's still more than you have done Roversfan99 eventhough it's more than you have done. 

🤭

Nothing the lad does this season has anything to do with next season when he will be playing against much better players. Give it a rest chaddy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoeH said:

A lot of debate on Pickering, but as I said, I think he'll be better than anything we've had at left-back for some time, and certainly better than Bell and Douglas. I'm happy to eat my hat and say I'm wrong if by the end of the season he's not genuinely out performed those two.

That's not a particularly bold claim is it?

He'd have to be fairly poor to be worse than Bell and missing a leg to be worse than Douglas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Yes, I'd agree with that Hoochie even though I'd agree with that.

Was wondering what Chaddy meant even while I wondered what Chaddy meant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Was wondering what Chaddy meant even while I wondered what Chaddy meant.

There's an echo in here.......in here......in here

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Pickering, I won't be judging him until I've seen him in a Rovers shirt for a spell of games. Our team is completely different to Crewe, so there's no point making comparisons other than to keep an eye on what his potential strengths and weaknesses are. He's not going to need to be mind blowing to be better than what we have at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That's not a particularly bold claim is it?

He'd have to be fairly poor to be worse than Bell and missing a leg to be worse than Douglas.

Very similar was said about Douglas compared to Bell when we signed him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Also, watching a players clips is still not the same as watching him in full.

I think you're unaware as to the extent of video that's available to be viewed. It's not just a few highlights. It's hours and hours worth of content per player in every game situation. In-fact I'd argue that clipped footage of every single touch one player had in a game is more valuable for analysis than watching a full 90-minute Crewe game, which is what I'm assuming you mean by "in full"

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Can we cancel the Pickering signing? A 6-0 drubbing in League 1 does not inspire any confidence.

No. & we shouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think you're unaware as to the extent of video that's available to be viewed. It's not just a few highlights. It's hours and hours worth of content per player in every game situation. In-fact I'd argue that clipped footage of every single touch one player had in a game is more valuable for analysis than watching a full 90-minute Crewe game, which is what I'm assuming you mean by "in full"

I think people just can't believe that Mogadon could sign a competent defender without any catches.  Let's wait and see.

I bet he's having second thoughts himself considering how our season has panned out. Poor bugger

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JoeH said:

I think you're unaware as to the extent of video that's available to be viewed. It's not just a few highlights. It's hours and hours worth of content per player in every game situation. In-fact I'd argue that clipped footage of every single touch one player had in a game is more valuable for analysis than watching a full 90-minute Crewe game, which is what I'm assuming you mean by "in full"

Interesting. Not too sure on this. 

By that I mean I am sure there is a lot to be gained by footage these days but off the ball is very important too. For example a goal or a miss by the opposition where a defender is well out of position might not be picked up. Or for a striker good runs they make which the passes don't get to isn't shown. I think there are certain things that can only be got when watching the full game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JoeH said:

No. & we shouldn't.

Why is that? If it were me and Crewe wanted the loan back, I'd want a right to cancel. I'm assuming you tracked his strengths and weaknesses before we signed him, How he's being doing since?

Edited by Richard Oakley
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Interesting. Not too sure on this. 

By that I mean I am sure there is a lot to be gained by footage these days but off the ball is very important too. For example a goal or a miss by the opposition where a defender is well out of position might not be picked up. Or for a striker good runs they make which the passes don't get to isn't shown. I think there are certain things that can only be got when watching the full game. 

You're both right. When you watch a game in general you're not going to be only watching one player. So you will pick up on everything he does on the ball in a way you won't from watching a whole game. But you're also right that off the ball movement and running is a crucial part of the game.

The best of both worlds really is to watch the whole game but with an intense focus on one player. Which I assume is what scouts do when they are there to do a proper report on one target rather than just watching for whoever catches the eye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • K-Hod pinned this topic
  • K-Hod locked this topic
  • K-Hod unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.